Alpha King | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King
4.25/5
Outstanding
Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

#768

Ratings: 6,568 |  Reviews: 1,862

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Yet another brew GDBEERMAN hooked up in our recent trade!

Beer poured from undated bottle to pint glass.

A - The beer pours a nice amber/orange color with a huge 2 finger slightly off-white head. Great retention and lacing throughout.

S - Reminds me very much of an IPA: nice citrus hop character and mild yet slightly sweet malt character.

T - The taste reminds me very much of a mix between Dales Pale Ale and Odells Red, very good. Just like the nose it reminds me of an IPA from the get go. Very good medium bitterness with strong citrus hop character. Not as intense as a west coast IPA, though well balanced and delicious.

M - Medium bodied and well carbonated.

O - One of the best Pale Ale's I've ever had. Very good. I wish I could pick it up whenever I wanted! Thanks Rob!

Reviewed on: 03-24-2011 01:43:59

4.42/5  rDev +4%

I have been a fan of this one for a while now and I just noticed I am down to my last bottle so it is time for a review. I poured the 12oz bottle into my DFH snifter to find a nice dark amber body and found a nice one inch head that left a nice sticky lacing around my glass.

The aroma was dominated by the citrus hops, a great smelling beer, with a nice touch of malt.

The flavor follows the aroma hand in hand. The malts jump out a pinch more than the hops but I really enjoy the balance here. Also notice a little bit of bread

This is an easy one to drink that goes down easy, medium body with a good amount of carbonation.

This is a great beer and I wish the good people of Chicago & Indiana wouldn't mind sharing a bit of their stash with the good people of Ohio!

3.73/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours out maroon in color with a small white head with little retention.

Smell is very nice tropical with a little pine and some sweet caremal. Taste is definately some more nice tropical with a small amount of pine. There is also some nice caremal to even things out. Great beer. Mouthfeel is sorta medium and great for the style.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass

It pours a amber reddish color with a small off white head, medium lacing and low retention.

The nose is a nice fairly balanced blend of orange, grassy hop aromas and some sweet toffee like malt aromas

The taste is much less balanced and more hop forward as I expect. Grassy hops dominate with just enough orange citrus to make me feel like I'm not chewing on the lawn. The bitterness is fairly harsh and resiny which I do not always appreciate. On the backend some vegetal flavors emerge which isn't so great and not what I usually remember. I know this is a fresh bottle as well.

Mouthfell is ok, some dryness because of the lasting bitterness. Drinkability is good for an APA. Overall I have always enjoyed this beer as something that is sometimes available in places that have a bad selection, and that's about where I'll keep it.

3.92/5  rDev -7.8%

Each of the past two times I visited the Midwest, I made a point to seek out this beer based primarily on its reputation as a great pale ale. The reputation is certainly warranted, as this beer is so hop-forward that it blurs the line between american pale ale and IPA.

It pours a deep, surprisingly dark, hazy amber color with a dense, fluffy, cream-colored head. The aroma is bright, bold, and fragrant. Fruity, citrusy hops dominate, with notes of grapefruit and pineapple catching the most attention. The big hop character is present in the flavor as well, but the citrus is less pronounced, giving way to more of an earthy and spicy hop presence. Unfortunately, although the light, fine carbonation is pleasant enough for the style, the texture doesn't stand up to the resinous, coating hop profile.

Overall, this is certainly one of the boldest, most flavorful pale ales I have tried, and I can understand why a hop lover would enjoy this beer. Its boldness borders on abrasive, however, which keeps it from being the kind of easy-drinking pale ale I often crave.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.25 out of 5 with 6,568 ratings