Alpha King | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Ratings: 6,490 |  Reviews: 1,843

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a slightly hazy red/copper. Beautiful off white, frothy head that leaves ridiculously good lacing and has great lasting power.

S: BIG hop aroma, especially for a "pale ale." Most IPAs can't hold a candle to how delicious this one smells. I get a ton of citrus, namely grapefruit, with a nice little caramel malt lingering in the background.

T: Hops are all over this one. Lots of sweet grapefruit. I get actually get a decent amount of piney spice and bitterness just after swallowing. The malt backbone is very decent and makes this beer feel rich and nourishing. It's got that west coast dry finish.

M: Medium and with real soft carbonation, just like it should be. This one goes down real smooth.

This was one of my first loves getting into craft beer, and to be honest, it still is among one of my favorites. I've also had it on tap and it was fantastic!

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

I love Alpha King. It was one of the first craft beers I really got into when living in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago, around 2003. There was a liquor store down the street that had 3-4 craft beers and this was one of them. (Another was a spoiled sixer of Abita Turbodog I bought once. It was AWFUL. Pure soy sauce!). I loved Alpha King from the start, and still do. I drank it when I was at the brewery way back then, before the brewpub existed and it was just a well-lit factory atmosphere. Some old-timers were drinking their Light Lager offering and eating some potato chips they had brought. It ruled. Citrus, caramel malt, a bit sticky, excellent. I had it on tap at MacNiven's during lunch (a liquid lunch in my case).. to celebrate the end of my first semester at grad school. I also had Bell's Sparkling Ale, which I was less impressed by but still enjoyed. Indianapolis is a good beer city. We have lots of good options.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Reviewed from notes. Purchased online from a store that guaranteed this was fresh. 12 oz bottle poured into a Leinenkugel's pint glass...

A - Pours a clear, dark-orange, amber color. A 2 finger head forms, eggshell white in color. Retention is quite good here.

S - Really bright, slightly juicy hop aromas come out front. Citrus, grapefruit, orange and some lemon zest mix with fresh pine. Toasted malts linger in the background, but ths nose is all about the hops.

T - Taste fllows the nose although the juiciness is less prominent. Grapefruit and orange mix with pine and provide a great hop profile. The toasted malts are stronger here and struggle to battle the hops. There's a slight spiciness in the finish.

M - Pretty heavy bodied for an APA. Full bodied with a moderate carbonation. Slightly dry finish on this one.

O - I was super surprised by how good this was. I know it had high marks here, but I needed to experience it to believe it. Really enjoyable beer and I hope to track down a 6-pack in the future.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle poured into one my standard curved-rim pint glass. No freshness date available on the bottle. Once again, thanks to Matt for bring this 3F offering back for me to try.

A: Pours a translucent orange with a thick frothy off-white head on top, 2-fingers worth to be exact. 3F beers always have such great head retention.

S: Citrus, grapefruit, and pine collide here. It's that "bright", hoppy smell that I've come to expect from Three Floyds. And I love it.

T: Taste follows the nose. A wave a grapefruit rushes in and holds all the way through the finish. In the process, notes of pine and citrus also make an appearance. A pale-malt backbone underneath is surprisingly most prominent on the finish, but is certainly not "showcased" here. Something resiny seems to linger on the finish.

The hops are showcased. And I love that. My only complaint would be that for all the floral, citrus and flavorfull hops as are here, they really could have used a bit more bittering hops to help really drive the point home for me. As it is, this beer runs just a shade to sweet for my liking.

M: Carbonation is a bit light for my liking. As such, it sits in the mouth with a bit of *heft*. Loads of flavorful hops and sugars are left behind on the finish. Lots of tongue coating.

D/O: I love hoppy beer. This was enjoyable, and I will repeat it again soon.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.