Alpha King | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Reviews: 1,801 | Ratings: 6,307
4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured a copper orange colour with a big foamy head. Lots of lacing in the glass. Citrus and floral hop aroma. Flavour is full and bold, almost approaching an IPA. Slightly bitter and dry finish. Higher alcohol is only slightly noticeable. Very drinkable beer, particulary with a meal.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

I had never heard of Three Floyds before I was up at the New England Beer Festival and told a few people there that I might be heading to the midwest (the trip's off now, but that's another story) sometime around Christmas. Everyone's telling me "You have to pick up some Three Floyds" or "Do what you can to get your hands on the Alpha King". I didn't know what the big deal was, but two weeks ago, the liquor store in my town got this and a few of their other brews in from Indiana. Needless to say, I was pretty excited, but cautious if the beer could live up to the hype...

...today, I write this review with no caution in my voice, and undoubtedly one the best beers I've ever had in my hand. Yes, it's that freaking good! Poured out a nice orange-amber color with a slight haze/transluscence, and had a bouquet whose only rival is another Pale Ale which I adore (in Sierra Nevada). The head could have been a bit higher, but the full citrus and pine scents kick in nicely and intermingle wonderfully with the dry hops that make this pale ale different from any I've had before. One sip after that won me over - there was so much going on and it almost seemed like an orgainzed mess, but somehow, all of it fit together beautifully. Flavors are wonderful up front and they linger on top of the hops as I swished around the beer and swallowed it ever so slowly. Not having any time, or lots of time between sips didn't matter as the aftertaste was wonderful in itself. Neither heavy nor watery, there was very little malt aftertaste and the beer just danced around on my tongue. It's not often that I forgot that I'm drinking this early in the game!

The lacing could be a bit better, but everything else about this brew makes up for it. It's a lot to take in, even down to it's strong finish, and unlike any Pale Ale I've ever had. Floral notes can also be detected in it's taste, and it's not as buttery as the runner up from northern California is. That being said, this beer is unique, bold, and was worth all of the hype and advance word of mouth. Three Floyds could change the name of this brew to just "King" - I am certain that few, if any, would beg to differ...

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Excellent looking copper/orange beer with a minimal head. Murky and nice...

Aroma is good. Filled with hops, floral, citrus... but never overpoweringly so.

Taste is wonderful. Wonderful punch of hops and a touch of pine. Mellows out to a nice touch of malt. Great beer.

Mouthfeel is very good, as well.

Nicely done.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

smell: hops across the board, floral with fruits all paired with citrus. put it in a tulip or wide wine glass and got strawberry-banana-kiwi smells, all the while sugary ruby red grapefruit as the base. great, strong hop scent, but not aggravating in the least, floral.

noticeably clear, amber/orange beer, in a pint glass poured a stout, off-white head that held up well. unique bottle art, looks great

the aftertaste is when the malt finally shows itself with a warm buttery biscuit flavor over most of the tongue. before that, the malt seemed to lead one hop taste to the next. hops are citrusy and oily. Mouth smacking fresh bitterness stays on the sides of the tongue with faint spiciness.

oily, smooth, balanced bitterness on sides of tongue, spiciness in aftertaste with some dryness, clean, crisp, fine carbonation

so drinkable that 3Floyd's can't make enough of it. 7.35% alchohol isn't believable if not for warmth and adding to your good mood after finding this. dry APA with a hop backbone that shows in every characteristic of this stuff, can't get enough of it lately. session king.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

This beer pours a nice dark amber, with a nice white lace that sticks to the side of the glass. The smell is citrus, hops, and lemons and flavored with a sweetness of honey and the faintest hint of vanilla. The taste is great, it has a nice bitter kick from the hops as well as some great lemon flavor that is brought out by the honey. The mouthfeel on the palate is very clean. Great beer overall glad I was able to get my hands on this beer, I will def go back to it again.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

I've heard wonderful and amazing things about this beer and I was so excited to try it. When I poured it out, the appearance of the famed Three Floyd's Alpha King was not so pale, it was sort of a hazy, reddish-brown. But it was frothy and lacey on the glass. The carbonation appeared appropriate.

Not sure exactly how fresh this bottle was because the label fell off at some point between the cold case and my kitchen, and I couldn't find it (picked it up at the foodery). The smell is rich, intense, wonderful cascade hops, just right.

The taste was truly exceptional, and got even better as the beer warmed a tad. It tasted lovely; pine and citrus hops yet balanced perfectly by malts. It tasted surprisingly pale, the darker color is truly deceiving. The freshness and drinkability was ultimately the crown jewel of this beer. Its so rich, balanced and flavorful; truly is as good as everyone says it is on BA.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured into a snifter from the bottle. Can't tell if the guy on the bottle is a merman or a goblin of some sort.

Appearance: Pours a wonderfull bronze and honey hue. Nice head that did not grow too large and settled into a small layer of lace on top of this gorgeous liquid.

Smell: Hop and floral aromas mix right off the bat. As I keep smelling I detect very sweet apples almost like a crumb cake or struedel, very delicious. Great balanced aroma.

Taste: Very strange in that the hops are definitely there yet they are not. Balanced and yet etheral hop blend. Some slight citris rind, toast, apple mead, and an alcohol content that is superbly hidden.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium with average carbonation. Lightly syurpy and very pleasant.

Drinkability: WARNING! This beer has the potential to put you down for the night if you are not careful. I could easily drink 3-4 and not even realize it. It was a true pleasure to put this offering from FFF between my cheek and gums.

-cheers2beers-

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a slightly hazy golden orange color. Off white head with medium bubbles. Smell is a wonderful sweet citrus, orange and grapefruit.

First taste: hop flavors balanced very well with the malt. Just the right amount of crystal malt without being too sweet. Just the right amount of citrus and pine without being too over the top. Pine comes out more in the bitter aftertaste.

A quite tasty APA. I have waited for a long time for this and it did not disappoint. Just saw this is 7.35%ABV??? Wow. Never would have guessed.

4.11/5  rDev -3.5%

Alpha King Pale Ale

On tap at Isaac Newton's- Newtown, PA

Appearance- dark ruddy brown with a stcky foamy head.
Smell- not too strong. Pine and floral hops.
Taste- Very strong pine hops with a big smack of orange rind.
Mouthfeel- smooth with a kick in the mouth bitterness in the end.

Overall- an excellent beer on tap. Much better than its bottle conterpart. A definite for Pale Ale fans!!

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

No one can say quite like Don King. Likewise, no one can do it quite like Three Floyds and Alpha King Pale Ale.

Alpha King Pale Ale is a fantastic example of a hoppy Pale Ale and as Don King might say it's made "Only in America." Alpha King pours a rich clear amber color with good head retention and good lacing. Although dissipates, the white froth remains till the end. Picked up a 6 pack in Cincinnati at Jungle Jim's which I would say is as wild as Don Kings hair style. But still glad they had it.

First smell is wow, cascade hopes. Almost over powerful with floral and pine, but has a sweet smell that boxes you in the nose. Pale Ales can vary, but wow. Then your mouth take a dip for your froth-tastical tasteable delight and is overcome with hop-happiness. Per the smell one would think this would knock you out faster than a young Mike Tyson. But really it has a sweet kick at first and quickly blends with a superb malt and floral arrangement which then follows with a grapefruit finish. A very impressive taste.

This is a wonderful example of an excellent "mouthful" for a beer. There are a ton of ton of different things going on from the sweetness, to the combo malt and bitter kick and of course the grapefruit lasting flavor.

I feel lucky to have 6 of these beers and not surprised that it is ranked so high in BA. Three Floyds should be a who's who in breweries and be just as well known as Don King himself.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

i've had this both in the bottle and on tap. currently i am drinking from the 12 oz.bottle... poured into my Bell's pint glass.

makes for a nice pour. copper color with a foamy, soapy one inch head with some active carbonation. after a few sips and a little swirling the head disappears but sticky lacing is left behind.
appetizing.

smell is sweet, citrusy with plenty of pine. the nose is big and full of hops.

alot of citrus fruit and hops too in the flavor. piney hop extract... this must be close to the taste of pine sap with orange peel added. 6% isn't too high, and the alcohol is well disguised.

this brew has body. thick and a bit resiny. good carbonation and viscocity, but still creamy.

ummmm... if you like IPA's then this beer is for you. no shortage of hops. an extreme APA that deliver's.

delicious, but moderation is advised.

this is the mother *** of all pale ales.

4.07/5  rDev -4.5%

It pours a hazy amber body and despite being poured straight, it doesn't make such a big head. What is there is there to stay though and never leaves until the last sip. The smell is deep hops, especially citrus cascade, a great sniff for sure. In mouth, you receive the same treatment, tasty malt balanced with loads of hops bring you to a piney bitter aftertaste, but not before passing through a flower field where grapefruits fall from the sky. In my opinion, this would have won a lot from a thicker body, it was thin to medium and a little lacking to support such intensity (or I had too full-bodied beers recently). On the other hand, while it was one of the most tasty, it was also one of the most drinkable APAs I've had. Thanks Egajdzis!

Picked this one up at the foodery, again.

A murky dark amber color with thin head and lacing. A little darker than most of the IPAs Ive had and it really defines this rather different IPA.

The smell was sweet right a way. It definitely had the usual citrus but also a toasted or caramelnotes.

The taste was a pleasant surprise. I tasted the darkness and toastiness I had predicted and it was sweet to start and mildly bitter at the end.

I could surely drink this one again and it is defintely up there in my top IPAs. If you like IPAs try this one.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

Bottle: Poured a deep amber color ale with a small white foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of strong bitter hops with some floral malt. Taste is mostly overpowered by hops with some caramel malt. I’m not sure I get what is suppose to be so great about this beer, seems to me that it lack balance. Will give this another try though.

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

The beer poured a light Amber color and was almost clear. Bottle said bottle conditioned but similar to Dogfish IPA's I see no sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Beer poured with a good head and had a long lasting lace on the side of the glass.

Smell has a ton of hop arroma...very fruity

This beer tastes better than it smells and it smells really good. Hop flavor throughout but not overwhelming. Each sip and I wanted to drink more. One of the few times I don't mind living in PA because I had to purchase an entire case of this and I'm thrilled I did.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison.

Pours a dark clear amber with a short finger of white head with decent retention. Nose is big and hoppy, the bitter floral variety, some citrus, and sweet malts. Taste starts off with a sharp bitter hop bite and transitions nicely into tropical fruits and caramel malts Alcohol is mildly present. Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing, though a little on the thin side. This is a tasty APA. Didn't wow me, but a solid bitter hopped pale ale.

3.93/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured into a pint glass and had a nice copper-reddish color. Was amazed at the head retention. Actually thought I saw it getting thicker in the glass. Superb appearance. Had a flowery, grassy smell too it, very earthy. As expected, the hops dominate the taste, but it is very well balanced. Thgouth the flavor changed somewhat as the beer breathed in the glass. A very refreshing beer.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

12 oz. bottle

Pours a medium orange-amber with an off-white head that fades quickly. Decent lacing on the glass.

Smells very hoppy, a sweet piney aroma that makes me thirsty.

Tastes fantastically balanced, lots of hops and some nice caramel malty undertones. Quite delicious.

Nice rich body, carbonated about perfectly.

I could easily knock back a few in a row. In fact, I have....

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

12 ounce bottle poured into a nonic pint glass.

A - Pours a nice amber color, almost a dark shade of orange with a one and a half finger head that's slightly off white. A nice looking pale ale.

S - A gorgeous piny hops smell with a little hint of citrus in there.

T - Big hop rush on the initial sip, very nice. Hops mellow slightly and allow for a little malty flavor, then the hops kick back up on the finish/aftertaste. Definitely a good one.

M - A well carbonated beer that feels good on the tongue. Gives you a "punch" from beginning to beyond the end due to all the hoppiness.

D - Goes down nice and easy. Could easily knock this sixer down. Probably a bad idea though since I'm going out later.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Juniper! The second I open this bottle my hot and humid kitchen becomes an alpine mountain side. I love it!

This could be dangerous, however, because sometimes beers with a juniper nose of this magnitude have an overly juniper or gin like taste. This is not something that I tend to enjoy since I am not, never have been, and god willing never will be a gin drinker. This doesn’t necessarily kill a beer for me but it does reduce its drinkability.

Thankfully, the Alpha King delivers a taste of intense hops and chilled citrus instead of juniper berries. I’m not sure how the good folks at Three-Floyds struck this balance, offering an uber bold scent while maintaining a smooth cool taste, but they did.

Also to its benefit, this beer is hyper drinkable. Despite its relative strength, I could polish off a sixer in a sitting and enjoy it.

This just might be the best APA I’ve ever had. If it’s not, it’s darn close.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

A - Poured a slightly thick, deep amber, almost red with a narrow head that dissapeared.

S - A very deep aroma of hops, pine and a little citrus, very enticing.

T - Wow, thats hoppy. Good hops with a bit of a pine cone. A refreshing APA.

M - Very thin and smooth, I let it slip around the tongue for a second before letting it go down.

D - Great drinkability, this is a great beer to have a few while fishing. Don't have too many though, the 7.3% may sneak up on you.

I like this beer, I bought a sixer of it, and glad I did. This beer though did remind me alot of Bell's Two Hearted with a little more body, to any fans of that I'd reccomend them Alpha King.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Grapefruit and a little pine dominates the nose and initializes the flavors. This complements heavy malt sweetness blending with the hops not perfectly, but well enough to highlight attributes of both. It has a nice body and crisp finish brought-on by hop bitterness and a smattering of alcoholic bite.

This beer doesn't hit perfection in any category, yet it's so close. Its flaws are almost negligible and has been one of my favorite beers for years.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

This beer is a good reason for me to move back towards the Great Lakes!

Beyond gold but not really brown, a floral and sweet aroma beckons. Of course, it is the snap, crackle, pop of hops that pulls me in. However, there is enough malt to make it work, to make me drink AK all night.

For me, this beverage represents a balanced diet.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance - Pours an orange-light brown color with off-white head and plenty of lacing. Good carbonation.
Smell - A burst of citrus and spices. Very enticing.
Taste - Blast of grapefruit with a citrus finish. Very dry with moderate-to-high bitterness.
Mouthfeel - Refreshing and powerful. Lingering sensation of bitter fruit.
Drinkability - Easy to drink. I had several in one sitting and enjoyed the very last sip. This beer can be overpowering with mild dishes. Should go well with spicy dishes.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

I enjoyed three of these with no problem during Notre Dame's big win over the Pitt Panthers last night so I may be bit biased. Great looking copper colored Pale Ale with average head and lots of carbonation. Smells of floral hops and citrus, with a hint of alcohol. Superb style that fizzes in the mouth and is very easy to consume. One of the top Pale Ales I've had.

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.