Alpha King | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Reviews: 1,822 | Ratings: 6,388
4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Schlafly pint glass. Dark amber, orange-tan head, slightly cloudy/hazy. Decent but not spectacular lacing. Pretty much everything I look for in a Pale.

S: Drool-inducing hop headiness. Evergreen and grapefruit-smelling hops and lots of them. The only brew I can think of that's better smelling - off the top of my head - is Troegs Nugget Nectar. And this is real, real close.

Taste. oh, dear me. Everything I want in a Pale. Everything. Hard hit of hops up fromt, mellowing into a spicy middle, finidhing with a bread-like maltiness. Very hoppy for a straight Pale. Hoppier than most IPA's, really. Delicious.

Mouthfeel takes a little ding b/c of the pure up-front strength of the hops. Once that's over and it hits the middle it opens up nicely. Smooth drinking after that.

Drinkability. I could drink this all day, every day.

This just entered by personal HoF. It is going to be a standby for as long as I can get it. I'm going back to Leo's Carry Out next weekend to get more, just to have around.

Bottom line: wow. Believe the hype. It's that good.

4.91/5  rDev +15.3%

Ok, Father's Day is over and the boys are in bed. Now it's time to treat my self. I want something special, flavorful, but not over the top as I want to go to bed soon.
As I look into my fridge I see an Alpha King...perfect!
Appearance looks much more like an IPA than an APA. Maybe it's a double APA. Just Kidding. Oh man, I could just sit here and sniff this for hours. A cornacopia(sp) of aromas. Orange, bannana, grapefruit, mango, and pineapple come to mind. Flavor is the perfect hoppy beer. Tons of hop flavor with out the hop bite. Sure I've had hoppier beers, beers that make your mouth pucker. And I've loved them, but I've never had anything quite like this. Maybe it's super balanced, maybe the amount or type of malt they used. I don't know enough about brewing to distinguish the differences, but I do know this is a damn fine beer, and my taste buds are going crazy and jumping for joy. Feels great in the mouth. Chewy for a light to medium bodied beer. Drinkability? Well I'm going to have to switch it from my gots list to my wants as that was the only one I had. But when I get another one it will go fast.
The perfect beer to cap off a fine father's day.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Maybe by FFF hoppy standards this is a APA, but for most brewers and drinkers, this a definite IPA. Pours a light amber in color with a slighty creamy head with good retention. Nose is quite hoppy, piney and full; inviting. Taste is well balanced, some nice malt backbone but an over the top fruity and piney hop profile explodes on my palate. Mouthfeel is quite full, perfect carbonation. A very well made beer, I could easily see drinking a lot of this.

Slàinte!

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Dark for a pale ale... looks almost like an IPA. Pours a deep copper hue that is almost brown with a 1/2" head. The head could be alot better, but the bartenders pour wasnt exactly aggressive.

Big citrusy hop aroma. Lots of lemon with some resin in the backbone... the aroma, too, is IPA-esque.... very nice.

Huge hoppy citurs flavour... reminds me alot of Dale's Pale Ale, if maybe a touch more bitter. Very nice, and significantly more hoppy than your typical PA.

Decently thick body with a crisp feel.... quite nice.

This is one hop bomb of a PA, but still maintains its drinkability. An absolutely fantastic pale, and one I expect will be a regular in my fridge.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

bottle served around 50f....pours with a very large head into a pint glass. interesting variant on pale ale, as normally they are not hop-bombs.

Nose is overwhelmingly hops, surprise surprise. The taste starts out with a dominant hop note (don't know which variety), the background of the beer almost invisible at first. Eventually some of the pale malt fades into the aftertaste, but this is without a doubt a hop bomb, as intended.

At 6% sessioning this might be a bit short-lived, but it is a very enjoyable hoppy beer, typical of the quality I have found in 3 floyds' products.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to YBSober for this beer!

For a long time I have said that I do not prefer the APA style beers. That is when I thought that ShipYard and Harpoon were the way APA, were done. Just a few minutes ago I was impressed with Stoudt's APA, and now I am flabbergasted by the Three Floyds version of the style. The truth is, I am not sure how it can qualify as a Pale Ale. To me it tasted like a very hoppy IPA.

Appearance: Pours a bronzed amber color with a small off-white head and minimal lacing.

Smell: Intense grapefruit right from the start. There is some toasted caramel malt aromas beside a hint of bread and yeast. Very pleasant and enticing.

Taste: This is a very harsh beer IMO, and I don’t think it is for everyone. It is a hopheads dream come true and those who like the occasional hop-bomb (who I’ve become). It is not an approachable beer, *BUT* as intimidating as it may be it was marvelously tasty! Big grapefruit cites hops bite down hard on your tongue then a sharp alcohol character follows up the insult with injury and leaves your palate feeling wonderfully wrecked and destroyed as the aftertaste lingers on and on. The aftertaste is made up of bitter citrus rind and toasted malts.

Mouthfeel: This is a medium body beer with big prickly hops, sharp alcohol and plenty of carbonation to make your mouth feel full when on closer inspection the beer seems to be more light weight.

Drinkability: I really enjoyed drinking one of these. However this a far cry from even being remotely sessionable in my opinion. I highly recommend trying one because it is very unique, however do not be surprised when it is nothing like other APAs that you’ve had. In fact I recommend this mostly to the hop heads out there.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Clear, mahogony brown with a thick, fluffy and sticky tan head.

Woody, piney smell, nearly all hops. Sweet carmel and a sugary toffee smell as well.

Bitter and hoppy, pine and wood ash. Sweeter malts are in there, and a wallop of warming alcohol comes near the end. Woody flavors are more pronounced as it warms, but its still a hop bomb. Piney flavor lingers.

Slick and full in the mouth. Oily and smooth generally.

Man, this is good sh*t. One of the most hoppy, aggressive pale ales I've had. Another one of those beers I couldn't believe I hadn't reviewed already.

4.07/5  rDev -4.5%

Appearance is a hazy copper amber with a nice thick two finger white foam head.

Aroma is grassy, hoppy; piney, spruce, fir.
Fruity; lemon, berries.

Taste is light sweet malt with a citrusy, lemony hop aftertaste.

Nice carbonation and nice hoppy aftertaste. Very high drinkability for this one. A solid session beer.

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%

Being raise Roman Catholic, I have few favorites of anything. Three Floyd's has seduced me with their highly hopped beers. The easiest to find in Wisconsin is Alpha King. Recently I made a day trip to the Brew Pub and was happily surprised with the food. Already knew that the beer would be a treat.

All of their hopped beers are exceptional for my taste. Alpha King is not for the faint of heart. This is a hop lovers dream with a citrus punch and a strong bitter finish that pleasantly stays with you. Highly recommended for those who like unique ales.

3.86/5  rDev -9.4%

A - Head is about two fingers and lingers for a long while with only specks of lacing left above this slightly hazy copper amber brew.

S - Nothing subtle here. A very pronounced and pleasant aroma of roses, lilies, spruces and firs. Underneath there is some caramel malt aroma. Excellent aroma.

T - Malty! Caramel and light bodied malts mesh to form a pleasant flavor that is supported by a bit of piney flavors. The taste is good.

M - Medium viscosity, carbonation is high, not very refreshing though.

D - This is an excellent APA, but it is too drying for extremely good drinkability. It has an good flavor and a fantastic aroma though. Basically, it has too much flavor to be as drinkable as some other APAs.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

The head has dissipated leaving behind lacing and a good strong lacing with a slight amount of head, but the lacing is thick...maybe 2mm thick at it's weakest point. Color is dark brown to ruby red.

Smell is overwhelmingly hoppy and slightly fruity. The hops are slightly grassy. It has some lemon and raspberry to it.

The taste is primarily hops, but it also has some fruityness that ranges from lemon to strawberry/ raspberry.

Mouthfeel is excellent, it is carbonated quite well which leaves a foamy smooth feel on the tongue.

This will be a regular drink for me, it's great.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A beer really doesn't look much better than this. A dark copper color with a large 2 inch creamy off white tannish head. Carbonation bubbles stick to the side of the glass and thick sticky lacing is left behind.

Rich complex aromas emanate from this beauty. Sweet piney malt, with a big citrusy fruit, with grapefruit and flowery hops.. A little of both worlds in this one. Thick malt, and hop smells make your nose want to stay buried in this one.

Very piney hops, with a clean carbonated spicey mouthfeel. Lush flower, resiny as hell, somewhat of a sweet malt finish, not as much citrus in the mouth as the nose but it is there. Very complex, very balanced, unbelievably drinkable.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Stone IPA glass. No date. Minimal head faded quickly. Cloudy body was yam colored.

Smelled of candied sweet potatoes & figs.

Hoppy, juicy taste. Pleasant grapefruit flavor. Bittering finish.

Mild carbonation with a alcohol tingle when held in the mouth.

Quite drinkable. I will buy again.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

One finger buttermilk/off white head with moderate carbonation, earthy straw color. Nose primarily citrus (lemon) and yeastiness, with the hops surprisingly subdued. Fresh, carbonated presence on the tongue with citrus and malt up front, hops bringing up the rear with residual bitterness in the aftertaste. Surprisingly hoppy considering the lack of same in the aroma. Pretty strong hop taste, probably edging closer to an IPA. Good all around balance. Overall, an excellent American pale. A good medium choice between the weaker hops of a typical APA and the overwhelming (to some) hop bitterness of an IPA, making an ideal session beer.

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Into a pint glass, pours a beautiful golden copper, with a nice head that shrinks to a thin foam after a few minutes, with amazing lacing stretching down the glass.

Aroma is fantastic, grapefruit and other sweet light fruits, big on floral hops, and maybe a faint sweet malt backing.

Taste is equally exceptional, a burst of flavor, but not excessive or obscene, but a very balanced and even mellowing in the middle, leaving one able to sit back, swirl a bit, and ponder whats going on. My first thought at first shock and then through the rest is hops, fantastic hops. But, there is a subtle malt backing, just enough, that keeps the hops in check and from tasting raw, keeping it from being too bitter, only causing a pucker up front and toward the end.

Body is something around medium, slightly springy carbonation, but really just playing second flute to the flavor rollercoaster going on, which is completely right and good.

Now that I'm finding places in WI to get 3 Floydss, I think i'm going on a 3 Floyds addiction. I mean, if this is their pale ale, what is Dreadnaught IPA going to be like? I grinning with anticipation. Very nice beer, very impressed with 3 Floyds.

3.56/5  rDev -16.4%

A: Pale ale my butt, looks like an IPA to me. Nice darkish orange, parika color. Off white head has fallen to a playfull froth kicking it on top of the body

S: Again, smells like an IPA. Deep, enriching aromas of tangerine, white peach and redwood.

T: Interesting dry bitterness going on here. Notes of grapefruit, kiwi and loads of fresh hops. Looong bitter finish with a buttery aftertaste.

M: Bit astringent, not very full. Too crisp.

D: Um yeah, it was a decent beer. But the ratings its receiving are not worthy IMO.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a slightly hazy copper tone. A small off white head provides good lacing.
A slight malty hop aroma. Hops seam a little piney. A fruity presence shows as the beer warms.
Flavor is of Piney hops up front of a malty backbone. A quick bittering aspect comes, but doesn't linger. The maltiness grows as the beer warms, and a slight cherry or fruit presence shows. Good beer.
Lighter side of medium bodied. Moderate carbonation and a slight dryness.
A fine Pale Ale with good flavor. Take home a 6 pack, it'll be worth it.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Drank from a 12oz bottle. It's been a while since I tried this, I forgot how hoppy it is. Smells and tastes like citrucy hops. I don't know what an APA is supposed to be, but it must be close to an IPA. Whichever type this is, it's an easy-drinking session beer.

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

I got this beer from MABZ as part of the 2006 Great Race BIF.

This beer pours a golden brown with a thin very light tan head. The head fades slowly, leaving thick laces.

This beer has a nice hoppy aroma. It smells grapefruit like. It has a piney aroma also. It has a subtle malt aroma. It smells quite floral also.

This beer tastes piney with hints of grapefruit. Behind the hoppy flavors, I detect some sweet caramel malt flavor. This beer tastes more like an IPA than a Pale Ale. The flavor is a plesent surprize.

This beer is very smooth. It leaves a piney aftertaste. It is carbonated to perfection.

I think this beer would make an excelent session beer. It tastes great, and couldnt get old. Also, at 6% ADV, I could put back a few of these. I think this might be one of the best Pale Ales I have ever had.

Thank you MABZ for yet another great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

I found this one on tap at The Shanachie.

This beer came a dull amber with bright cherry highlights with a dirty white sandpaper head.

Smelled of powerfully juicy, fruity and piney hopes with hints of pineapple in the background. The assertiveness, yet wholesomeness of these hops are really admirable!

Tastes of the same huge hops with a thin cider and pineapple sweet and sour, but the pine sap hops steal the show. There’s also a small sugar sweetness on the tip of my tongue in the finish along with a smooth light malt.

The mouth feel is medium bodied with a light tingly carbonation that help amplify the hop nature of this beer.

Hop-tastic! This is a really “in your face” hop experience but it doesn’t exceed any boundaries of decency. In fact, if pushes those boundaries nicely.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I have had many, many bottles of Alpha King, but I have finally gotten around to reviewing this fine brew. This beer is served well by being slightly warmer.

It pours a very-satisfying dark amber with a light head. I typically drink it in an Unibroue tulip glass that allows for a constant flow of tiny, tasty bubbles ascending to the top in the center of the glass.

The nose has a fantastic citrus (grapefruit) quality.

It has a nice mouthfeel. Just he right amount of carbonation to keep it interesting. Nicely balanced body.

The bold-citrus quality of the hops is ever-present in the flavor. It has a slight piney quality that I enjoy. Nice dry finish.

This beer has a regular spot on my shelf, and I always smile when I see a full bottle waiting for me.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle purchased at Countryside Liquors in Pawtucket, RI. Poured into a pint glass.

The highly-regarded Alpha King pours beautifully, with a hazy, reddish amber and a two finger head. This is a very tasty beer. There is a rough, brash bitterness from the hops, but it is balanced by a nice malt sweetness. Interestingly, the fruitiness is more of oranges than grapefruits. While it is balanced, the abrasiveness of the hops hurts drinkabilty just a bit.

4.09/5  rDev -4%

12 oz brown bottle.

My first Three Floyds experience was the Alpha King pale ale, and it was clear at once that this beer was truly not normal. Nice appearance, but the smell totally grabbed my attention. One of the hoppiest, citrus, floral, spicy powerful aromas ever. The taste is also very hoppy with a finish that was almost too bitter for me. This is why I think it's not as drinkable as it could be, it's a bit strong for a pale ale and the bitterness is so extreme that I don't think I could handle a session of these. A great beer, though, that I highly recommed.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

12oz into pint glass. Mostly copper but with a nice amber tint, topped with a 1-finger wheat-colored head that subsides to a thin layer. Patchy lacing along the glass. Wonderfully citrus-sweet nose, a mix of tangerine and kumquat, with a touch of floral scent, and caramel malt bubbling under. Moderate carbonation, and a medium body with a bit of hop oil slickness, nicely balanced malt and hops in a mix of tropical fruits. Going down is where it's at -- grapefruit bitterness emerging, with a slight pineyness, and a lingering bitter linger that lingers.

A pale ale that nearly borders on being an IPA, but balances its hoppiness with a fruit punch complexity. Good mouthfeel for the style, and definitely sessionable. I think I found my favorite pale ale.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a twelve ounce bottle into a pint glass

poured a rich copper with some amber and ruby hints, with a finger thick off white foamy head. Sticky to the sides of the glass with a moderate amount of lacing an even thin head remaining throughout.

A wonderfully aromatic brew with a wonderful floral boquet. The hops are the first to hit the nose and they are as one might expect piney and citrusy, but there is a strong malt back bone, laced with subtle sweet carmel scents which makes the smell wonderfully unique and balanced beautifully

An even mixture of sweet fruity and sligtly carmelesque malts and citric hops up front with a bitter (but not too bitter) grapefruitesque finish. a really solid, well crafted and wonderful taste

Tingles the tip of the tounge and maintins a nice amount of carbonation throughout. Great medium bodied brew with a really clean finish.

What a beer. A buddy shipped these to me and man the hype is to be believed it's some great stuff.

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.