Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Alpha King | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King
4.25/5
Outstanding
Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

#759

Ratings: 6,530 |  Reviews: 1,857
4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a glowing amber-copper color, nice thick head,decent lacing. Strong grapefruity cotten candy, hoppy aroma. Medium body, soft creamy palate, Strong citrus hoppy with some caremel flavor, good session brew, easy to down a few.

4.67/5  rDev +9.9%

First thing that came to mind: "Holy crap what a great beer!" Huge citrus aroma leading to a refreshing and extremely drinkable, well-bodied ale. The intense spicy citrus hop profile is awesome with an aggressive, but not oppressive, bitter bite. Up on/near the top of the line.

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle numbered 02142 which I presume means the 142nd day of 2002. Does anyone know if I am right? Says brewed in New Ulm; Cokes tells me it's contract brewed by Schell. Despite being 6 months old still in fine shape. Spooky bottle. Excellent head, sensationally fruity aroma. Taste is quite good, rich caramel malts buttressed by grapefruit hops. Instead of bittering, the hops bolster the sweetness of the malts. Interesting effect. Kind of like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale crossed with Magic Hat #9. But sweeter than both those beers. Top-notch mouthfeel, creamy frothy and just a hint of rawness. This should appeal to not only the hophead but the fruit beer fan, as well as middle of the road drinkers looking for adventure. A fun beer to drink but too fruity and zesty to be a session pick. 7.3? Is that for real? Yikes. Three Floyds is new to me and definitely one I will keep my eye on. God bless this current wave of intrepid new US microbrewers, I was born at the right time.

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

I must say that I really enjoyed this beer. It pours to an amber-orangish color, with an off-white, creamy head. It also has a slight hazy appearance to it. Alpha King has a very hoppy, citrusy nose, probably from the possible use of Cascade hops. The citrus aroma reminds me of lemon zest. The beer has a nice hoppy, citrus flavor as well, and finishes dry. Overall I would definitely drink this beer again when I want a nice hoppy beer. I would love to try this one on tap.

3.47/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pale average appearance. Not alot stands out. There is an above average hop presence, but it seems to fade into thin air as you drink. Slight white head. Overall a slightly above average pale ale.

2.98/5  rDev -29.9%

Bright golden amber, reasonable head.

Nose of citrus and spruce over a hint of malt. The flavor... It starts out OK, but about a third of the way through a medicinal, herbal note kicks in that I can't get my tastebuds around. I found it slightly off-putting, but can appreicate that it makes it different from other APAs out there. Decent balance otherwise. Good, bit it wouldn't be my first or second choice.

3.44/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The appearance isn't too much. Color of one of the lighter shades of leather with an off-white head that was neither large nor long lasting. Nose is malty with hops that are dominated by the Christmas tree-like over the citrus but both are present. Flavor is surprisingly thick malt for a pale beer with a nice balance with the hops. Kind of a slick mouthfeel, but not as slimy as some.

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

We stopped by their brewery in munster recently and was
poured an Alpha King by owner and brewer Nick Floyd. I was completely blown away. First by the intense hop and citrus aroma, then by the overall taste. I had this beer in a bottle a few years prior and it was pretty good then, but I urge everyone out there to go and see Nick and let him pour you
a fresh one. You might also be blown away.

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%

As a Hoosier, I've got to give it up for my favorite beer brewed in Indiana. This pours a deep copper-orange color. Smells of citrus and floral aspects. Has a huge hop flavor (lots of Cascades, I presume) and should qualify as more of an IPA than a Pale Ale. However, this is a Three Floyds brew, and as they say, "We're not normal." Regardless, this is a great ale.

4.57/5  rDev +7.5%

can't believe this is brewed and bottled at schell in new ulm. what a serious and bold beer...cloudy, hazy burnt orange color. nice off white head that sticks. hops explosion in the nose...a citric dynamite blast. tastes awesome. bitter alpha hop madness in the mouth is meakly balanced by a caramel malt body. it IS slightly thin in mouthfeel but the hop party doesn't let you worry about that. hits the spot after a hot day in the sun! a hop-head delite.

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

Bottle review of 19JUL02....
Tried on draft before....now it's the bottles turn. Decent copper color, with a good, frothy white head and good lacework. Floral, hoppy nose, a bit more pronounced than the draft version. Found the body a tad thin, but still fairly smooth. Came across with a lot of hoppy flavor, both a combo of citrus and some bitter notes. The bitterness carries more-so into the finish. Thanks for the sample, Murph!

overall: 3.95
appearance: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 3.5 | drinkability: 4

*** ***

On-tap review of 05JUL02...
Enjoyed at Richmond's Commercial Taphouse, with Artied2, Drew and friends! A medium-dark copper colored brew, it had a thin, lasting head, and some lace. Looked appealing! Nose was a floral, hoppy version, but mild. Body and smoothness did nothing to detract from the quaffing experience. The leadoff batter was a mildly sweet malt hitter, but the clean-up man was the hops! Smooth, floral, and some fruity hop notes brought everybody home. Good company, good bier! (4.0/3.5/4.0/4.0/4.0 - 3.90)
Prosit!

4.08/5  rDev -4%

This beer had a nice dark amber orange color to it. It formed a nice light tan head that left some nice lace. A slight hop and malt aroma to it. The flavor had hops and malt with a sweet, but not too sweet, citrus and caramel taste. It has a medium body and finish. Not as dry of a finish as their Pride and Joy, but a good beer.

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours orange with thick white head, strong hop taste hits you all the way down your throat, Citrus flavors abound. Along with a respectable abv this is an ass kicking pale ale. A personal favorite of mine!

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours an orange-copper color with a nice pillow like, off-white head with good retention. On the nose there is a citrus hop aroma mixed with fruity / malt overtones. The same on the palate a lot of citrus flavor, grapefruit, highly hopped, malts, all well balanced with a slight acidic bite. The finish is slightly tart and bitter. I can not detect the 7.3% abv. Overall and enjoyable pale ale… I think this brew leans more to being an IPA then a Pale Ale…

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Even more beautiful than I remember,deep,clear coppery amber in color.Nice lace about a half an inch head that stays.Deep fruity hop nose.Awesome drinker,nice balance of sweetness with lingering hops.A little citrusy.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

This is one terrific beer. Copper-orange color with thick full head. Hop aroma with mild citrus noted. Full hop flavor with mild bitterness from start to finish and lingers nicely. Mouthfeel very nice medium body and noticable carbonation. Additionally, it possesses a nice creaminess. One of the best examples of this style.

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

Pale Ale? Seems more in line with an IPA if you ask me! Pours nicely into the glass with a thick, tightly laced head. Excellent deep gold/reddish color. Nose is of fresh hops, citrusy & spicy with a little malt sweetness. Taste is at first malty and sweet again, changing to a tremendous but not palate-numbing hoppiness...citrusy and long lasting. A very satisfying beer to the hophead and non-hophead, I would hope. Very good without being heavy-bodied, well made.

4.19/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Three Floyds Alpha King: Pale Ale, with the “creepy looking label” according to one South Sider. Deep amber/copper: with a one inch over the rim head, with a Mount Etna Volcano Cone (copyright pending). Sweet honey aroma, with a rolling, complex mix of flowers/fruit/malt. Initial sweet malt stimulates the tip and sides of the tongue and then a big hit of hops takes big pleasant bite. Hops/oranges/some kind of flowers battle it out in the end. Very, very nice beer, and highly recommended.

N.B.: WOW, according to other reviews, this is big in alcohol, but you’d not know it.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Man, what a good beer. A nicely hopped APA (not an IPA) that pours out to a reddish-copper color with a slight head. Initial taste of citrus and caramel with a big dose of hops on the finish. This reminds me of Sierra Nevada's Pale with a heavier dose of hops. This is an excellent beer and does the American Pale Ale style proud.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

I am definitely happy that I went and bought this beer. Pours a pale orangey/amber color with a nice head on it and a clinging lace. Floral hops and yeast in the nose. This beer starts off all hops. But as I keep sipping it I get more and more malt that really balances this brew very nicely. Lots of bready yeast flavor as well. Creamy and smooth across the palate and very drinkable. This is one kick ass beer. I will definitely be picking up some more of it.

4.44/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was checking out some of my old reviews to see if I needed to update anything when I found that I had never reviewed Alpha King...what the hell's up with that! It's one of my favorites. So, I had to go get a sixer for a fresh viewpoint...

Anyhoo, on with the review:
Nice amber color, good head that left some lace on the glass. Too much yeast floating around. The yeast didn't bother me while drinking, but it wasn't a very appetising (sp?) sight. Grapefruit and floral hops dominate the oh-so-wonderful aroma. Pretty damn hoppy for an APA (really closer to IPA). Wonderful bitterness in this beer. It's a must for hopheads. Nice thick mouthfeel. This ale, truly, is "meat, drink, and cloth" - it's all one needs in life. At 7+ abv, this is a pretty damn drinkable beer.

3.15/5  rDev -25.9%

Hazy orange tinted amber color. Frothy white head. A bit of a pungent hop scent. An oily hop taste present. Quite bitter. More like an IPA though. An average pale ale. Tastes more like a British-style pale ale to me. American styles have more of a floral and herbal aroma reminiscent of the NW hop varieties. To me, this one doesn't possess that characteristic. I see I'm not in agreement with most on this beer, but SN, Summit and Big Sky are a lot better in my opinion.

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

Ahhh, now this is what an APA is supposed to be. Golden orange color with a thick white head that lasts throughout. Floral aroma and knock-you-on-your-ass grapefruity hoppiness. Delightful. Now I am a huge Sierra Nevada fan, but this definitely tops their pale ale. Nicely done!

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%

As someone who loves American hop flavor but thinks that lemon tones in wheat beers are sour, I was a little worried that the label was in tropical colors and promised citrus. One short sip later, my fears were allayed, we're talking grapefruit hops...this is a truly good American Pale, and I can echo the grapefruit comments of VENOM and others...yes, better than Sierra Nevada, to me...only the similar but even more hopped Summit Extra Pale is a better example of this style, in my opinion.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

One of the elite American Pale Ales (IPAs). Pours and amberish pale orange with a nice head. Hazy profile, which I enjoy greatly. The yeast adds immeasurable to the beer and smooths out the mix. Big time citrus hops profile, all full of grapefruit oil and resin. Caramelized, biscuity malt balances the brew out nicely, but not completely. This is absolutely a hop bomb. Alcohol content is there, but blended well with the massive hop flavors. Mouthfeel is full, but a bit greasy and oily.
A great refreshing brew, but one that I could drink whenever, wherever.
Certainly smokes more well-known APA examples like Sierra Nevada. Pick some up...you will not be disappointed.

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.25 out of 5 with 6,530 ratings