Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hank On Rye | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

3.72/5
Good

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: Smoked Beer

This beer, created in honor of Henry Chinaski, was a collaboration between Three Floyds and Jonathan Cutler of Piece Brewery. Its delicate, spicy, smoked character is derived from a portion of smoked and rye malts. Formerly known as Ham On Rye.

Added by jeonseh on 03-07-2008

3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap.

It is a lighter amberish brown.

The smell is smoky, I guess smoked ham isn't too far off.

The flavor is sweet and smoky. Not the best smoke beer I have had but decent. IT is sweet with a brown sugar hint going through it along with a nice smokiness.

A good one.

4.29/5  rDev +15.3%

On tap at the brewpub...review from notes.

A- Pours a brownish cola color. One and a half finger whtie head that shows medium retention. No real lacing on the beer as I drink it down.

S- Big time rye in the front of this. Smokey meaty aroma in the middle of this combines the two aromas and makes my mouth water. This smells like well....ham on rye!

T- Smokey flavors right off the bat. There is a underlying sweetness to this but only in the front half. A light rye becomes the background but pops up for the middle for a second and stays through the ending. This tastes like a ham on rye through and through.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was a little lacking I thought. Tastes were smokey and left everywhere from the palate and long into the aftertaste. Flavors blended well together and matched up evenly. No real alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This was a couple and done beer. I enjoyed it a lot for the fact that it tasted like it was suppose too. Smoked beers I like but only a couple pints please.

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

Enjoyed from the tap at the Three Floyds brewpub, inside a nonic pint.

Pale amber, perfectly clear. A 1.5-finger head of dense, creamy foam hangs out for a long time and deposits sticky, full walls of lace when it finally recedes.

The nose: rye bread, anise, salt, cocoa powder, brown sugar.

Very subtle salty meatiness in the flavor, blended with a lot of bread. Cocoa, toast, salty bacon, light campfire smoke, hints of caramel. A meaty, smoky brown ale with perfect balance.

Very light carbonation inside the creamy, medium-full body. Some alcohol numbs the tongue before a slightly dry finish.

I’ve enjoyed few beers with names as descriptive as Ham on Rye. It’s just as flavorful and tasty as the sandwich.

2.5/5  rDev -32.8%

4.5/5  rDev +21%

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

On tap at Three Floyds on the day before Dark Lord Day. Served in an imperial pint.

Appearance
This has a nice color. Its a deep, rusty red with browns interspersed. The head is a very light tan and leaves decent lacing.

Aroma
Indeed, very smokey. It does smell a lot like ham, but at this point I didn't even know what I was in for. The smoke isn't all that roasty. Its more of a cured meat type of smell with a nice rye snappiness to it.

Taste
I was taken aback as soon as I tasted it. Its very big on flavors of baked ham. The ham is perceivable throughout the whole taste but really comes out strong on the aftertaste. It really blows my mind. I keep picturing the glazed rind of a baked ham. I'm not entirely sure I like it. Its not totally gross, but it does come close.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied and kinda slick. The carbonation is soft and pillowy.

Overall
Very interesting. It blows my mind how much like ham this stuff tastes. Well worth a try, just for the experience, but I wouldn't buy copious amounts of this.

3.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Had no clue what to expect with this one.. But... Yeah

Pours a amber brownish with a tint of red hues, no head to spak of but well carbonated. Looks pretty decent.

Smells.. Like ham on rye. Im impressed honestly. It's not off-putting.. Just smells like ham on rye.

Tastes .... Like ham on rye. Im amazed. Smokey, meaty, lots of rye spices. So weird yet good

Such an odd brew but really tasty. I'm shocked and amazed!

4.49/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It flies in the face of all logic, but I love this beer. I wish it was bottled. I wish FFF would at the very least would make it annually again.

Appearance - The beer was a darker golden color served with a bubbly white head. The barkeep at FFF served the beer in a pilsner glass.

Smell - The rye is the most impressive note, but I am pretty sure I can also actually smell salt. This one smells like it tastes.

Taste - I think the 2014 batch is a little weaker than previous years. The initial impression that comes to the front is the tang of the rye. But then, the smoke and the saltiness (like ham) balance out the rye. The main drawback of the beer is that it finishes a little weak. The aftertaste veers in a sour direction, with the salt losing its flavor.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is pretty straight forward. The carbonation is pretty average and the beer goes down smooth, leaving a nice coat on the tongue.

Overall - I like this one a lot, but even I start getting bored by the end of the glass. I think the beer itself gets bored with me because it loses interest in tasting the same.

4.3/5  rDev +15.6%

Tried this on 26 Apr 2011 at the Brewpub. Served in a nonic pint glass.

Small light brown head. Lightly carbonated. Clear light brown color. Aroma is smoky with just a touch of meatiness. The flavor starts with a lot of smoked bacon. Moderately sweetly smoky. Then more smoky meatiness. Nicely malty sweet underneath the bacon. Just a very light bitterness in the finish. Medium body, moderate alcohol.

Definitely the meatiest tasting smoked beer I have had.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

On tap at Binny's South Loop.

A: Pours a clear burnt orange with a nice egg-shell head.

S: Meaty smoked malt. Moderate Canadian bacon, a bit of hoppiness.

T: More smoked malt - bacon, sweet smoke, sweet grain, a slight bitter note. Sweet bready malt in the finish.

M: Medium carbonation, medium-bodied.

O: Not bad, but not as interesting as the rauches of the motherland.

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

Hank On Rye from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.