Fantabulous Resplendence XI Anniversary Ale
3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Fantabulous Resplendence XI Anniversary AleFantabulous Resplendence XI Anniversary Ale
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
From:
3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Indiana, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Notes:
firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 110 | Ratings: 133
4.04/5  rDev +5.2%

A- orange to amber with a 1cm head that quickly fades away.

S- pine, orange + other citrus hops is what i first smelled. mildly sweet also.

T- sweet malts up front and a great hoppy aftertaste that is decently bitter. very citrusy and piny. very well balanced.

M- light and clean with a dry bitter aftertaste.

D- this one finished pretty quickly. glad to have tried it.

3.23/5  rDev -15.9%

XI pours a lightly hazy, darkish orangey-amber color with a cap of fine off-white ivory.

Smell seems a bit weaker than I was expecting. It's definitely got some hops of the earthy-floral and orangey-lemon citrus varieties, with some light crystal-caramel malt sweetness.

Flavor seems a bit muted as well. Solid pale/caramel doughy malt base with modestly fresh citric flavors, and some earthy-floral, light spiciness. Medium-full body has a pretty good oily smoothness and softly fuzzy carbonation.

I was hoping for something fantabulous here and got something mediocre. However, I feel that my senses might be slightly off this evening, and I give 3Floyds more credit than this. Will definitely try to attain another bottle and re-review.

4.07/5  rDev +6%

Bottle from City Wide in downtown south bend. Pours orange brown with a short head that settles to just a thin film. Smells floral and mildly hoppy. Notes of clementines, jasmine, freshly cut grass. Taste is fresh and crisp, with a delicate floral quality on top of a nice clean malt base. Hops taste green, not particularly bitter. Hints of marjoram, jasmine, caramel. Nice soft, medium body. Very drinkable, non-aggressive beer.

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two goblets. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Pours a clear honey-amber color with a tiny off-white head that quickly dissolves and becomes a thin ring a whispy skim. Not too much lace.

S: Smells very pungeant, herbal, and grapey. Notes of peach and pineapple. Definite citrus presence. Sweet caramel and lightly toasted malt.

T: Heather and I both noticed a white grape flavor that mixes early with pineapple, caramel, citrus, floral hops, green apple, toasted malt, and a dry and herbal hoppiness.

M: Oily and resinous with peeks of juicy and sticky tropical fruit and dry quality that reigns it all in.

D: Heather says this is definitely sessionable and I totally agree. Excellent fruity aromas and flavors with some delicious herbal/floral stuff goin on in there. Excellent!

4.61/5  rDev +20.1%

A - Cloudy, orangish-copper color with little head.

S - This was the highlight of the beer for me. Nice floral hops and tropical fruits. Some minty, evergreenesque aroma. A real pleasure to sniff, sniff, sniff...

T - Great bitterness hits first followed by minty hop flavor. I was surprised when i sensed sweet malts in an IPA, but I enjoyed it alot. Not an immensely dry finish, but a definite tartness. Wonderful warming spiciness of alcohol in the end, too.

M - Medium body with decent amount of carbonation. Nice for it's style.

D - I had purchased only one bottle of this beer (due to its high price), but I wish I would have got more. Very easy to drink. Three Floyds consistently makes great brews, and this one is no exception.

4.07/5  rDev +6%

Picked up multiple bottles at Crown Liquors in Greenwood.

This beer pours a light copper color with a small one fingers worth of head, and it didn't really leave any lacing on my glass. The smell is a nice change of pace from FFF's. The hops are still there quite a bit, just not hit you in the face boldness. I get plenty of floral hops in the bouquet, earthyness, pine, and a bit of pineapple and grapefruit. The flavor profile starts off with a good dose of earthy bitterness quickly followed by the citrus fruit upfront. The malt really comes out nicely to balance out the bitterness. The malt has plenty of caramel and soft toffee notes for balance. I do get a bit of a bitter tea like flavor in the finish. This beer was brewed with jasmine, but I can't really say if that is the flavor I am picking up on. I think it is a nice mix of flavors that compliment each other quite well. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with just about the perfect amount of carbonation. I do pick up the bitter tea/tannin flavor strongly in the finish, but the alcohol is well hidden. The drinkability is quite nice on this beer and well balanced. I will be having my other bottle in the near future.

My only complain is the price here. 11.99 for an IPA is a bit steep for me, but I still enjoyed this beer quite a bit.

4.17/5  rDev +8.6%

Deep orange color, dense foam, with light trails of bubbles passing through. Poured into a Spaten liter mug.

Once the bottle is opened, there's a whiff of fruity, resiny hops. It's got a sweet and sticky character, and brings to mind shades of Hopslam, though not as intense. Something wheaty reminds me of Gumballhead.

Amber malt flavors with some floral and fruity hop compliments. It seems to lack the intense bitterness of 3F's other hop bombs, but it writes a new page on versatility for 3 Floyds. Hints of tea-like herbals must be the jasmine that's added.

Medium bodied and relatively sessionable, it's still a sipper for me.

4.27/5  rDev +11.2%

22oz Bomber
$10.99
West Lakeview

Three Floyds 11th anniversary beer pours a shade lighter then amber and glows orange when backlit. There's a little haze that makes this beer difficult to see through. A standard pour produced a two finger creamy, dense, white head that eventually fell to a skim coat after a few minutes. The head left behind some moderate jagged lacing.

The nose is a surprise from a Three Floyds beer. OF course it's hoppy but the hops are very different than what I'm used to from them. As soon as I stick my nose in the glass I'm greeted by hugely floral hops along with orange oils. When I try and pull really deep I even get hints of pineapple. This beer smells like walking through a greenhouse full of blooming flowers. There's a touch of doughy malt coming through in the background but the hops steal the show.

Doughy and caramel malts hit the tongue first and lay a nice little foundation for the unique hop profile to do its thing. The floral quality brings a mild sweet aspect while also being very soft. Orange oils lay down a touch of bitterness mid-palate before the flower petals make their return on the swallow. The floral quality continues through the swallow and lingers for a few minutes. The citric hop qualities lend a growing bitterness with the more I drink. The flavor of this beer is as unique as the smell, but just doesn't pop as much as the aroma.

I really enjoy the mouthfeel of this beer. The carbonation adds a nice zestiness to the medium body that makes it move quickly through the mouth. There's a little prickliness along with a slightly dry finish that helps accentuate the growing bitterness.

This isn't a monster hop bomb like most of Three Floyds beers but it is without a doubt hop-driven. The softness of the hop additions make this IPA incredibly easy to drink. If this was sold in six packs I would have no problem killing one off outside on a warm evening.

This is another good beer from Three Floyds. When I purchased this bomber I was expecting something along the same lines of last years Fantabulous Resplendence but instead I got a much lighter lower abv IPA. Although I do enjoy this beer I think its way overpriced for what it is. I'd love to see the guys at Three Floyds start selling this in six packs for a more reasonable price. I would pick it up often if that were the case.

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

Twenty-two ounce bottle pours a hazy caramel amber body that has an eerie orange glow. Small offwhite head leaves plenty of sticky lacing on the tasting glass.

Aroma is knock-you-down hops. Pungent florals, herbals, grassy and earthy, with faint grapefruit citrus. A hint of caramel suggests some sweetness hidden underneath. A vague spiciness complicates matters.

Lovely mouthfeel reveals a medium body and carbonation, highlighted by a resinous and herbal hop idolatry. Feels really good to swirl around on the tongue.

Taste opens with a grassy and earthy bitterness. Herbal, citrus, and floral notes quickly jump in, producing a savory hop bonanza. Don't know about the alleged jasmine addition, but there is a playful note of wildflowers midway through that gives the taste a lot of depth. Some sweetish caramel maltiness peeks through at times, and balances very well. No hint of alcohol in the taste, but there is a definite buzz at the finish.

What a showcase of hops! An appropriately well constructed, anniversary beer for TF that is extremely enjoyable. Fifteen bucks for a bottle in Evansville, but worth the experience.

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

A bomber ought fresh and poured into a Duvel tulip. consumed on the date reviewed

A - Bright and shiny amber. Very clean looking as the beer has a nice reflective sheen to it. Seen a decent amount of carbonation trailing upwards. Had a white one finger head that went down quickly and left minimal lacing. On my second and more aggressive pour, I formed a nice one finger head that remained through out and left good lacing down the sides. This made the beer look great this time and I would definitely recommend an aggressive pour for this one.

S - smells is rather floral; get a hint of bitter grapefruit hops that is mixed in with a hint of juniper. There also is a strong amount of elderflower that comes forth. The nose is dominated by the floral odor with the normal hop smell lurking underneath. Also there seems to be a slight hint of caramel malt that makes me think of a floral DIPA since it has that sweet backbone in the nose.

T - The taste at first is a mix of grapefruit bitter hops, caramel malt and a hint of floral hops as well. As you drink it the flavors evolve throughout between these three elements. They ebb and flow making each sip a unique experience. To me, the floral hops seem to be the dominating flavor with the grapefruit and caramel malt is there to help it all balanced well together. The bitter hops are there and make their presence known but they are not dominating at all. The are not even close to the main aspect of the beer but instead just seem to be there to add some complexity to the brew. I have to say I enjoy this beer alot and the taste just makes me want to have sip after sip.

MF - Light carbonated and full bodied. I like that they are able to make the beer full bodied but it is not cloying at all. Leaves a nice resin residue on the tongue from the hops and a slight astringency.

D - Overall, this is a great beer to celebrate FFF's anniversary. I like how it brings out FFF's use of hops but manages to do so in a unique way. The juniper is there and adds some complexity in the beer. Yet, I enjoy that this does not taste like an herbed beer. They seem to keep the juniper in check by adding just the right amount. I will definitely drink the other bottle that I have as soon as I can for two reasons. First, I don't want the hops to fade away and secondly, I won't want to wait to have another bomber of this delicious brew.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Fantabulous Resplendence XI Anniversary Ale from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 86 out of 100 with 133 ratings