Apocalypse Cow | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Apocalypse CowApocalypse Cow

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Availability: Summer

9.5-11.0% ABV, 100 IBUs - This complex double India pale ale has an intense citrus and floral hop aroma balanced by a velvety malt body which has been augmented with lactose milk sugar. With this different take on an IPA we have brewed an ale that is both pleasing to drink and, once again, “not normal.” Cheers! June release.

Added by mdm46410 on 11-23-2008

Ratings: 2,094 |  Reviews: 486

1.73/5  rDev -58.6%

Made a trip to visit family in Illinois last weekend and were having a nice afternoon of sampling great beers. We decided on this bomber mid afternoon to split among the five of us.

I poured this beer into five glasses and it came out a slightly hazy golden color with about a half a finger of white head.

Smell is horrible cooked vegetable. Badly infected with DMS smell. overpowering. Don't even really want to taste this beer.

Maybe the taste isnt as bad as the smell. Had a few sips and its slightly better, but again clearly infected with horrible cooked vegetable, and sulfur like flavors. hops and malt barely come through. We wrote the brewery about our infected bottle.

Nice mouthfeel, creamy and lively carbonation, but the taste even effects giving this category a proper rating.

Drainpour, would love to try a non infected bottle, strange that there are no other people that reviewed an infected bottle.

1.95/5  rDev -53.3%

Bomber courtesy of iadler. Thanks for hitting this want Isaac!

Poured to my Portsmouth tulip.

As always with my DIPAs, I poured rather aggressively and was pretty disappointed by the reaction. Only a tiny 1/4" inch loose head of bubbles was produced and it faded really quickly. Very thin lacing was left after the first sip but that was all for the whole beer. The body was an extremely translucent orange with very few visible carbonation bubbles rising to the top.

Smell is mostly of booze and sweet caramel malt. There is some peach? melon? not much citrus characteristics at all.

Taste does actually have some unexpected hops present. Still not as much as I'd like in my DIPA's, but I'll take any I can get. Still almost no citrus present, but there comes the booze again. Heavy alcohol notes and the sweet malt backbone are by far the most noticeable characteristics in the taste.

Mouthfeel is fairly full bodied. Quite creamy with little bite of carbonation and alcohol heat.

Definitely not impressed much by this. It's possible this wasn't a fresh bottle. I will be sure to try and get one as fresh as possible whenever it's brewed again and hopefully be able to change my review in a positive way.

Regardless of whether I liked it or not, I'm glad I got to try it. Thanks Isaac!

2.18/5  rDev -47.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

This review will be short and sweet because this was a drain pour. There was nothing wrong with my apocalypse cow. I just don't think milk sugar and IPA mix well. At all. Boozy, milky, hoppy.

2.5/5  rDev -40.2%

2.5/5  rDev -40.2%

This just doesn't do it for me. Had lots of better offerings in this style.

2.64/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Creamy, very sweet, yet boring dipa. It's interesting and unique nevertheless. I would call this beer disappointing. Doesn't deserve the high rating but everything 3 floyds make is highly rated. I had way better dipas than this one. I think the only reason people like this one is because it's easy to drink for such a high alcohol content beer. But for me this one lacks the complexity of hops that this beer should offer. It doesn't taste, feel or smell like dipa.

2.66/5  rDev -36.4%

A - Pours a yellow, light orange color that is hazy with a one finger head and no stick on the sides of the glass. Pretty nice looking.

S - This smells very sweet and malty, bit of caramel and something that comes accross like apricots. There are hops present, but it is not hoppy like I would want a double IPA to be. A little citrus an floral, but the hops take a back seat to lactose sugar (didn't know it was lactose until later, but huge sugar if nothing else).

T - I don't like this at all. It is way too sweet and sugary. A little bit of hops, and a little bit of bitter. The alcohol is way to present in this beer, and the malts and strong sugar smell kill the hops, which might be present, but are very overpowered.

M - Sugary, too thick for a DIPA, syrupy, good amount of carbonation.

D - Wow, this drank really hot. Between the sweetness and the hotness, it was a pretty bad combination, drank about 12 oz's of the bomber, and then just could not finish it.

2.83/5  rDev -32.3%

Pours a dark gold with full off white head. Aroma is nice with some fruity citrus hops, a touch of bread, and some sweetness from the lactose sugars. Not a fan of alcohol showing itself in IPA's and there is a ton present here, makes it hard for me to notice much else in the flavor like the citrus, florals, or sugars. A creamy mouthfeel. Overall, maybe a result of my personal preferences but the alcohol presence in this was a killer for me. I typically stay away from any (I)IPA that is 10% abv or greater because of the heat they can bring, but gave this a chance because of the inclusion of the lactose sugars had me curious. Bad choice on my part, not a fan at all and dumped most of my bottle.

2.98/5  rDev -28.7%

A - Cloudy, deep orange hue with a retaining head that leaves lots of lace around the glass;
S - Citrus forward with a sweet, malty backbone;
T - Balanced hops with a malty finish, clean and no real alcohol heat, very drinkable for the style;
M - Crisp upfront, fades to that mouth coating reminiscent of milk stouts (it's the milk sugar, duh);
O - Subtly different expression of the same idea that's come to epitomize FFF Brewing: pale, hoppy, drinkable, and reliable, yet ultimately boring. I can't give too much credit to a brewery that fails to (ever) surprise me.

3.02/5  rDev -27.8%

Three Floyds Apocalypse Cow
From a Bomber into my Duvel tulip
A: Pours a nice orange with a decent head.
S: Orange, lemon, zest. Smells like an IPA or Farmhouse ale that has a lot of citrus notes.
T: Watery, some lemon, not a lot going on here.
M: More of the same, a slight note of hops.
O: Very unimpressive, although this bottle may be a little older.

3.08/5  rDev -26.3%

Nice amber color with a little less than a finger of head even with a fairly hard pour. Smell is very "bright" (if bright was a scent!), not much in the way of hops really. A bit milky and light. The taste is similar...very sweet hop profile with a milkiness that is distracting. On the full side of medium bodied and fairly sticky, this one is really just not that appealing. I won't be buying this again.

3.1/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured from the bottle into my Duvel tulip. Thanks to BarrytheBear for this awesome extra.

A - Bright, glowing orange body with a small white head on top.

S - A bit of a citrus hop smell with a hint of pine. Not especially pungent.

T/M - Really malty for a DIPA. Slight citrus hop presence up front before giving way to a sweet body. Can't specifically pick out the lactose notes but this is pretty sweet. Bit of a syrupy feel. with a light carbonation

D - Something about this just doesn't agree too much with me. I'm not sure what it is but I am struggling with a bomber of this. Maybe a 12oz serving of this would be the way to go. Not awful by any means but not amazing either. Worth trying for the novelty I guess but the bottle art is the best part of this beer.

Apocalypse Cow from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.