Apocalypse Cow | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Apocalypse CowApocalypse Cow
4.25/5
Apocalypse CowApocalypse Cow

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Availability: Summer

9.5-11.0% ABV, 100 IBUs - This complex double India pale ale has an intense citrus and floral hop aroma balanced by a velvety malt body which has been augmented with lactose milk sugar. With this different take on an IPA we have brewed an ale that is both pleasing to drink and, once again, “not normal.” Cheers! June release.

Added by mdm46410 on 11-23-2008

#781

Ratings: 2,131 |  Reviews: 493
3.2/5  rDev -24.7%

From a bomber.

Pours hazy with a golden orange color producing about a finger width of white head with spotty lacing. This beer's aroma is strong - I can smell it from the table it is sitting on next to me. Lots of complexity here - licorice, resinous hops, biscuit and some alcohol. It really invites you in for a sip. Unfortunately, the taste is a let down. Some booze, funk and a building, taught hop bitterness all work against this beer. A smooth, full bodied feel makes up for some of the taste letdown. Not the most drinkable or likable beer in the world. I guess I was expecting more from FFF. I need to get my hands on some Dreadnaught - I have a feeling it will be more to my liking.

3.26/5  rDev -23.3%

Pours a slighly hazy amber with some golden edges with a finger of white head. Leaves some nice sticky lacing.

Aroma is filled with hops, but I get some fresh cut grass or bubblegum that I'm finding kind of off putting. Also a good dose of caramel in the background that is saving the day and evening things out.

The taste is focused on sweet caramel and that same hop profile pops up again, kind of killing the party for me.

Mouthfeel is relatively thick with a decent amount of carbonation. It goes down fairly easy for a big DIPA, but some of the flavors are off-putting to me and I won't be seeking this one out again.

3.28/5  rDev -22.8%

As a big Three Floyds fan I was excited to try this version of an IPA and was hoping to have another Dreadnaught type experience. I am sad to report that didn't happen. Overall, too cloying and sweet. Certainly some fun stuff happening, but just too goopy..

Nice creamy white head forms atop a bright copper beer with excellent clarity. The color is startling and very nice. Some lacing forms and the head does fade rather quickly.

Aroma is bright and a true balance between the citrus hops and floral notes and the bold sweetness. It's right here that you get your first sense of what is to come.

Flavor just grabs you with the bold sweetness. Some deep tropical fruits, citrus hops and certainly fresh, but the bitterness almost takes a back seat to the sweetness. There is a slight touch of alcohol, but again the sweetness takes over and masks this.

Body was a bit too thick and not creamy, but almost syrupy.

I didn't find this extremely drinkable, and was a touch disappointed. If you love overly sweet DPA's then this is your beer. It's just not mine.

3.31/5  rDev -22.1%

Appearance - Deep, hazy tangerine color. 2 fingers of thick foam head. Great retention. Thick lacing.

Smell - Citrus, bread, slight herbal note

Taste - Weird. Probably the first FFF brew I can say right off the bat that I don't care too much for. Citrus and pine hop note up front is quickly overwhelmed by the malt and lactose. Odd aftertaste. Slight alcohol bite.

Mouthfeel - Med/heavy body, acidic, high carbonation, wet sticky finish.

Overall - Probably the most overrated FFF brew I've tried to date. Not bad, but not great either. Disappointed at what I spent on this bomber. So many great brews available for much less, even from FFF! Zombie or Alpha King 6 pack >>>>>>> Apocalypse Cow bomber, all the same price. Will pass on this next time. On the bright side, at 10-11% ABV, it gives you a nice buzz very quickly.

3.32/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

My biggest liquor store option in the college town of Bloomington, IN suggested that I try Apocalypse Cow. I was surprised at the price, but purchased anyway (almost $13 for 1 bottle). I'm not really an IPA fan as of now, so that is probably why I didn't find this beer as good as some others I have had. Just like the description on the bottle, it has a sense of difference from other IPAs, which was a positive for me in this case.

3.35/5  rDev -21.2%

Good beer. Pours a cludy orangey/rust color. Taste is hoppy (not Arctic nor Zombie like) but not overly. This actually tastes like a Bell's Two Hearted. Although the bottle states 9.5 ABV I believe BA indication of 11.0 as you can smell the alcohol as it lingers in the tulip glass. Also feel the burn as it goes down.

Overall another decent FFF brew but far from there best. Keep it a seasonal and ramp up the Zombie Dust production so you can bring it to the East Coast.

3.39/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Chilled bottle into a glass. Courtesy of lurchingbeast. Thanks, Frank. Our many trades have lurched their way into some of my favorites. <3

A: Pours a clear, golden amber (sap colored) body with a finger of off-white head. Great retention, with minor lace.

S: Pungent, bright citrus that tells me that this is a fresh bottle. It's a zesty tangerine character, with pineapple, grapefruit, and orange coming through. This: this is what I enjoy about IPAs. It has a touch of brown sugar (crystal malt?) and sweetness that I don't really want here, but I'll allow it.

T: Again, a beautiful cornucopia of citrus flavors. The horn of plenty delivers pineapple, orange tangerine, grapefruit, even a smidge of pine. I am enthused by all of these, but there is an unapologetic sweetness that lends a candied tint. I won't say it's bad, but after a while it wears on me, particularly with a sweet burn in the finish.

M: It is oddly heavy, so much so that I simply felt distressed and uncomfortable halfway through the bottle. Maybe I'm getting old, but there was a sweetness and body to the beer that just wore on me and made it difficult to finish.

O: It's too bad this doesn't come in 12oz bottles, as it would really benefit the consumer. Come on -- you package your most drinkable beer in 12oz'ers and your heaviest beers in 22oz bottles? More like Three Idiots. I'd have this again, but only with a second person present (which is getting increasingly rare).

3.41/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Apocalypse Cow from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.25 out of 5 with 2,131 ratings