Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Apocalypse Cow | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Apocalypse CowApocalypse Cow

Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Availability: Summer

9.5-11.0% ABV, 100 IBUs - This complex double India pale ale has an intense citrus and floral hop aroma balanced by a velvety malt body which has been augmented with lactose milk sugar. With this different take on an IPA we have brewed an ale that is both pleasing to drink and, once again, “not normal.” Cheers! June release.

Added by mdm46410 on 11-23-2008

#791

Ratings: 2,132 |  Reviews: 493
4.04/5  rDev -4.9%

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured a great deep copper color with some very nice lacing and head. Horribly deep hop scent, mostly pine, with hints of floral, and a tiny bit of malt underneath it all. Excellent taste, a wonderful pale ale; deep bitterness, good use of American pine hops (I'm guessing); it's a lot like their Alpha King, but there is a nice slight sweetness from the sugars added that make it slightly different. Goes down way too easy for a 10% beer. If you're looking for a great pale ale, 3F's Alpha King is cheaper, but this one is a great try as well.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.96/5  rDev -6.8%

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

poured from 22oz bottle into teku.

A - A delightful peach/apricot orange with a bright 2 finger white head that dissipates quickly. Nice ring around my glass with good lacing.

S - Big floral hops, with orange and ripe pineapple. Some good sweet honey and more floral sweetness continue in the aroma. Some light herbal leafy and earthy scents.

T - Nice citrus and blood orange up front followed by honey and sweet bread. More ripe pineapple honey that finishes into a sharp bitterness. I really enjoy IIPAs that are flavored like this.

M - Smooth and rich for a IIPA. Carbonation is medium and there is a nice slick oily feel with bitterness left on my tongue.

O - This is well balanced with big juicy bitter hops and a wonderful sweetness. Wish I could find this easily in WI as it is well worth it. Reminds me of Toppling Goliath Sosus.

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

3.78/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle poured into nonic pint no date

A: very light orange with just a fuzz of haze and a creamy fluffy head

S: a little bit of a copper smell malty pure orange smell

T: sweet, malty, a little citrusy a good deal of booze

M: heavy for an IPA

O: A boozy overly sweet mess of a beer this beer is actually hard to drink the booze is overwhelming

3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

Thanks to kpruim01 for this one. Poured from a 22 ounce bomber bottle into my Adnams Imperial pint glass. The ale appears a hazed honeyed amber color with a good inch of dense light ecru foam. Nose and flavor consist of sweet pineapple, bitter white and red grapefruit juice, creamsicle, mango, tons of caramel malt. This DIPA is quite sweet, yet pleasantly bitter as well. As it warms, sweet candied grapefruit peel comes through with still a touch of alcohol heat. Smooth and nearly full bodied with ample carbonation. Surprisingly drinkable considering the high ABV, but one bomber is plenty. Thanks again Kyle!

3.39/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Chilled bottle into a glass. Courtesy of lurchingbeast. Thanks, Frank. Our many trades have lurched their way into some of my favorites. <3

A: Pours a clear, golden amber (sap colored) body with a finger of off-white head. Great retention, with minor lace.

S: Pungent, bright citrus that tells me that this is a fresh bottle. It's a zesty tangerine character, with pineapple, grapefruit, and orange coming through. This: this is what I enjoy about IPAs. It has a touch of brown sugar (crystal malt?) and sweetness that I don't really want here, but I'll allow it.

T: Again, a beautiful cornucopia of citrus flavors. The horn of plenty delivers pineapple, orange tangerine, grapefruit, even a smidge of pine. I am enthused by all of these, but there is an unapologetic sweetness that lends a candied tint. I won't say it's bad, but after a while it wears on me, particularly with a sweet burn in the finish.

M: It is oddly heavy, so much so that I simply felt distressed and uncomfortable halfway through the bottle. Maybe I'm getting old, but there was a sweetness and body to the beer that just wore on me and made it difficult to finish.

O: It's too bad this doesn't come in 12oz bottles, as it would really benefit the consumer. Come on -- you package your most drinkable beer in 12oz'ers and your heaviest beers in 22oz bottles? More like Three Idiots. I'd have this again, but only with a second person present (which is getting increasingly rare).

3.76/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Portsmouth goblet. Received in trade with hansgruber. Thanks for this great extra!

A - Beautiful, bright, translucent orange with a 1 finger white head. Head dies rather quickly but leaves a skim coat of bubbles and a ring of tiny bubbles around the edge of the glass and decent soap-like lacing.

S - Floral and citrusy hops, some spiciness and a light honey aroma. Not detecting any malt - honey is the balancing element here. Interesting since there is not supposed to be honey used in making this beer (must be the lactose). As it warms I'm detecting more piney aromas.

T - Somewhat subdued hop bitterness, pineyness to start, up front honey-like flavor and sweetness too. Tropical fruit flavors ending with some citrusy hops.

M - Mouthfeel is thick and full...might even say creamy.Carbonation is adequate, but not strong. The sweetness in this overpowers the hops a little bit and really coats the sides of the mouth.

D - A little bit too sweet and heavy feeling to be really drinkable for me. I'm not regretting drinking this 22oz by myself, but I won't be looking for another tonight when I'm done with it. One is enough in a sitting for me.

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

Enjoyed in Michigan last week with my brother-in-law.
Appearance - Pours into a pint glass with a hazy straw color. Over two fingers of white fluffy head are achieved that slowly dissipates leaving decent looking lacing on the glass.

Smell - Citrus (unripe grapefruit), floral hops, malt and caramel.

Taste - Similar to the nose but with a heavier malt/caramel backbone than expected. My brother-in-law and I had this right after Dreadnaught and the difference was remarkable. To be honest, I was somewhat underwhelmed with this beer when having it side by side with Dreadnaught. In my opinion they were two very different beers, despite being the same style. Beer finishes with a cloying sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, decent carbonation.

Drinkability - For such a high ABV, yes it is drinkable. For me personally, I did not like it. Instead of getting two Dreadnaughts I picked this up instead. I will not in the future. Dreadnaught is just so damn good and while I didn't expect this beer to be exactly the same, I didn't expect it to be so different. As I say with many beers, glad I was able to try it but I will not seek it out in the future.

4.21/5  rDev -0.9%

3.68/5  rDev -13.4%

22 oz bottle shared with JP and the wife

Pours like pulp free unfiltered orange juice with a sparse collar like some sad mongrel yearning for a happy home. I'm officially depressed.

Sniffs like funky, milky, grainy, hopped up oj

Bizarre Floydsosity here. Mild citric quality, half and half, smooth, somewhat boozy. Flavor lingers on the palette long after each sip. Uniquely enjoyable and alternately nearly sweetly cloying, walks the line like Mr. Cash himself.

Sleek, chewy, slightly syrupy. Drinks better than 11 %, but that doesn't always translate into wanting to do so.

3.88/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured from a "bomber" bottle into an English "pot" pint glass.
Apricot/gold in color, with a nice, two-inch head of off-white foam.
Aroma-Citrus and floral hop notes
Taste-Sugary sweet citrus hops, like a ruby red grapefruit with tons of sugar piled on. The lactose milk sugar cuts the hop bitterness down, and lends a drinkability, but leaves things a bit too sweet in my opinion. No strong hop flavor to be had. Certainly a different take on an Imperial IPA.

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

[Tick from backlog, this one was consumed a few weeks after release.]

Of all the awesome FFF labels, this one may be my favorite.

Shared with GOGRANDE at CCB

A - It has a big radiant (and yet hazed) amber-orange hue, almost peachy, and is capped with plentiful off-white head and lace.

S - The nose is very nice; hops are the star, the malt is subtly supportive, and the alcohol is hard to spot (given the ABV.) Notes of orange blossom, vanilla-jasmine, and lemon rind are especially prominent.

T - Big notes of white grapefruit, orange blossom and wildflower sit atop a deliciously pale-tasting malt. The taste is exceptionally smooth due to the lactose inclusion; the unattenuated sugar acts as a flavor enhancer just as sugar, honey and other sweeteners serve to meld flavor in cooking. As the glass empties, the citrus bitterness just seems to get bigger and bigger.

M - DIPA. Creamier than usual. Very good.

D - One of my favorite DIPAs, all things considered.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Apocalypse Cow from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.25 out of 5 with 2,132 ratings