Apocalypse Cow | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Apocalypse CowApocalypse Cow

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Availability: Summer

9.5-11.0% ABV, 100 IBUs - This complex double India pale ale has an intense citrus and floral hop aroma balanced by a velvety malt body which has been augmented with lactose milk sugar. With this different take on an IPA we have brewed an ale that is both pleasing to drink and, once again, “not normal.” Cheers! June release.

Added by mdm46410 on 11-23-2008

Reviews: 484 | Ratings: 2,077
4.87/5  rDev +16.5%

i tweeted about this beer. sad i know, but when you do that, you know you've got something special on your hands, or in your glass. brilliant. an IPA of udder destruction! moo-ve over IPA's! this beer is no cow-ward! you've probably stopped reading at this point, and for that i apologize. (you thought i was going to mess with apologize/apocalypse. well i tried but it seems i am not clever enough.) Seriously, this is a beast. this ipa has BODY. good lord that is refreshing. abundant citrus hops...yes please. i hope this phenomenal creature comes back because it's one of the best beers i have ever had. 3 Floyds, i salute yee. I like drinking it a little on the warmer side. It's seriously like hoppy milk in the best way possible. mango, citrus, and the pineapple that is signature with dreadnaught, with a viscous and inviting body. I've had this beer many times. sometimes it's good, and sometimes it's perfect. serve warmer, cheers!

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Bright orange body, yellow hue. Almost crystal clear. Lively, slightly off-white head. Retention adequate.

S: Creamy/whip cream strong up front, undertones of lime citrus hops very fresh yet subtle, clean malts, no booze.

T/M: Insane creamy mouthfeel up front, feels like marshmallow cream. Turns to a hop bomb with intense tropical fruit citrus flavors with a lingering bitterness as if just bitting into a grapefruit.

O: Blanketed malt bill, creamy smooth texture of a nitro Victory Donnybrook. No alcohol burn but warms up the body. Highly impressed.

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 ounce bottle poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Lazy, Hazy Orange. One-finger creamy.

Smell: Tons of tropical fruit, well-balanced with the pine. A certain sweetness to it.

Taste: Orange Peel, Peach, Caramel, Sweet. Very Smooth for 11%. Slightly bitter on the finish. So well balanced!

Mouthfeel: Silk-like texture, medium body. Damn smooth.

Overall: Wow. The folks at FFF know how to pull off miracles. The lactose sugars make this slightly creamy. One of a kind DIPA. Get this one if you can!

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

From 22oz bomber bought at the brewery into a Duvel tulip.

A - HUGE, dense, white foamy head with large fluffy bubbles. Beer is hazy deep yellow in appearance. Great sticky lace clings to the side of the glass all the way down.

S - For a FFF brew, this nose is mild. I think the lactose mutes the powerful hops aroma a bit too much. They are still there for sure, but subdued. I give FFF credit for doing something different and out of the box tho.

T - And THERE are the hops. Even with the lactose, the hops announce themselves throughout the drink. Front, middle and end are steeped in hoppy twinge. The lactose does make this a creamier and smoother beer.

M - Creamy, frothy, creamy. For me, its just too much. I like the balancing attempt, but it goes to far for me. Not bad at all, just not my thing.

O - The sum of its parts make this a very interesting beer. While the hop presence is as strong as you would expect, the lactose sugar creates an interesting blend. For those that like a strong hop sensation but not the burn, this is for you. The alcohol is fairly noticeable though. For me, a tad less booze and lactose and this would be a true winner.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

C. Liquid GOLLDDD
H. Slightly Hazy
N. Floral Hops, Light Citrus, Grapefruit, Hints of Sugary Sweetness

Big thanks to EvilTwin for landing a bottle of this and sharing it with me. This beer was one that I have wanted to try for a very long time.
It is an Imperial IPA brewed with lactose to add some additional sweetness. The nose of this beer brought me back to the beginnings of my quest for the best IPA. I remember pulling all kinds of crazy citrus odors from the beers, and loving every second of it. While this beer wasn’t quite as hoppy as I would have liked, I have to say the flavor of it was extremely well balanced. If I was to have reviewed this beer early on I have a feeling it would be a near perfect score. The beer’s taste has a strong hop presence, followed by nice malt notes, and then like a slap upside the head an unexpected sweetness (HELLLOOO LACTOSE!). I will try to get this again!

Pours a beautiful bright and glowing hazy orange topped with a thin and creamy white head with an orange tint. The head is thick and dissipates very slowly as it leaves a phenomenal lacy decoration on the glass, sip after sip, which resembles a stained glass window of a church. An aroma of sweet citrus and floral hops flow strong and boldly from this spectacular beer. The drink is smooth and velvety. A nice and gracious malt backbone provides a wonderfully thick canvas for the smooth and sweet citrus hop bitterness. Its sweet with a thick IPA body and moderate, semi-visible carbonation. The smooth drink finishes with just a gentle hint of warming alcohol, and the citrus hoppyness fades gently from the palate as it leaves a clean crisp ending with only the longing for another sip remaining. Fragrant, beautiful, and romantically delicious, this brew is thus far my all time favorite.
Overall Score: 4.98*/5 -Sean
*There is no such thing as "the perfect beer". It scored fives across the board besides drinkablility (4.9) because it is so strong I physically cannot drink a lot.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured a dark amber. Two finger white head that dissipates quickly. Slight lacing.

Smells so yummy. Juicy citrus hops all around here. Some nice sweetness as well. Small bit of pine and florals coming through too.

Man this is a juicy DIPA. Leaves the mouth watering from the moment it enters and keeps it going when its gone. Nice grapefruit and some pepper, caramel at the back end.

Nice drinkability for a 10%. I had to idea it was so high.

Fantastic effort by Three Floyds. I agree with the others though, this isn't hugely different from Dreadnaught, maybe a twinge sweeter.

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A- pours a dark cloudy orange, nice one finger white head appears and slowly dissipates, very nice lacing

S- great smell, bitter citrus particularly grapefruit, hops, some sweet caramel like notes are also present

T- fantastic balance of flavors, piney hops mixed with citrus, a nice smooth sweet caramel flavor is intertwined, nothing is overly powerful

M- medium body, smooth and super creamy, perfect balance of carbonation

D- this was a great sipper, for the ABV it was pretty easy to drink, this was a fantastic DIPA, it got better with every sip

3.81/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours yellow (watch for the sediment). Has a floral smell. Taste is a bit odd. Almost like hops and malt are fighting it out. Mouthfeel is a bit waxy. Not a bad beer. Just odd.

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bomber to 22 oz snifter.

Apperance - This beer is beautiful, its like a murky golden orange with a great looking 1 finger head that stays.

Smell - Extremely floral and citrusy, I can pick up honey, flowers, earthy smells, citrus as in orange and grapefruit. A nice sweet malt smell can be caught on the end, this is a nice smelling beer.

Taste - Really digging the sweet candy like beginning, that turns very earthy and grassy. On the end is an awesome bitter citrus finish, picking up grapefruit and honey. This is a kickass brew.

Mouthfeel - This beer feels good on the tongue, almost silky, with a nice bitter finish, could use a bit more carbonation though.

Drinkability - Great for a beer of its size, really drinkable and different, I could enjoy 2 bombers of this probably. I don't know since I only have one, but I would try.

My first beer from 3Floyds.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

I don't know if it's fair to judge a beer with a bit of age on it, but even a 2009 release of this Three Floyds brew is hitting the spot with some mexican food as an after work snack.

Appearance--Poured into a Duvel tulip and the foamy head is not fading away .. very impressive looking beer.

Smell--Reminds me a bit of Dreadnaught. I detect mango and other fruitiness.

Taste/Mouthfeel--Again, reminds me of Dreadnaught, though the age on this one prevents me from saying it's on par with Dreadnaught because when Dreadnaught is fresh, there's no beer like it.

Drinkability--Very high. I will need to review this one again soon with a 2010 bottle. Still a very tasty treat from my mini fridge of beer goodness.

4.43/5  rDev +6%

A fresh bomber poured into my sam a perfect pint, it's pours a nice clean dark gold. With at least a finger of thick head that is leaving heavy lacing all over the glass. It has this fresh citrus smell that makes you think of a freshly cracked orange. The taste follows the nose at first but it ends with a sweet taste that you don't expect it's not overpowering but it's present. This is a heavy dipa, it has one of the heaviest bodie for a dipa I've had, it's nice cause it's not that high in abv only 9.5 but it's just so thick of a feeling you gotta pace yourself on the whole bomber it's like eating lunch. Overall im glad I got 2 cause I'm gonna enjoy the next one in about two weeks. As expect 3 Floyds comes through with another stellar Dipa.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from the bomber into a tripel glass. Very nice orange/amber color with two finger head that takes a while to dissipate and laces from the rim of the glass to the bottom. As expected, the hops are there right upfront on the nose, with hints of fruit. Somehow I smell something almost like cherries. The hops do hit hard on your first sip, but then mellow out with the lactose. Pleasantly suprised that I was expecting to be hit over the head with pine tree taste but it jumped back from that. The bitterness comes back on the throat and leaves an aftertaste, though not a bad one. You can definitely pick out the the high alcohol "imperialness".

I would not say I am a huge fan of this style, but for me this is surprisingly good. Tried it solely based on 3F reputation and it's limited release and am glad I did!

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

Picked this up from my local beer store having never heard of the brew before. Great presentation with a Picasso-esque picture on the front of the bottle. Poured into a 3F half litre glass and shared with a friend.

Appearance is quite nice with tones of opaque amber with very citrusy hues as well. Hues are reminiscent of peaches and the one inch head is an off-white/eggshell color. Viscosity is decent but not as clingy as I would like a DIPA to be.

Nose is a great citrus-based DIPA. Grapefruit and nectarines penetrate the nostrils. A little malt comes through but the thought of sugar-covered grapefruit for breakfast comes to mind when thinking of the aroma with just a hint of candy: perhaps the smell of grape nerds candy.

Taste hits heavy with sweets, warming alcohol, grapefruit, tangerine, nectarine and a sweet milk like taste. It's such a strong and different taste that I almost want to dislike it but I can't... Candy sugar taste but not so over-powering that the malts don't come through. The brew is a bit off-balanced for the style with it leaning towards the hops: Heavy, but super-sweet flavors, bring out the actual flavors and the aroma of the hops so much that I just don't want to mark down for it.

Mouthfeel is great and almost feels reminiscent of drinking apricot juice. Medium body and clean without deep or unpleasant hop bitterness.

I would definitely be up for trying this beer again. Sessionability is low due to high ABV and it's unique flavor. A good brew, all in all, but so different you'll be left wondering what exactly you were drinking... in a good way.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of the smoothest IPAs I've ever had. Enjoyed it on draft and was not disappointed. A creamy mouth feel on the finish with a lot of solid citrus flavor at the star. I'm definitely going to pick up a bottle or two now.

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a hazy golden orange color with about a finger of fluffy, off-white head.

Nose is full of floral and citrus notes. Orange zest, grapefruit, and mango are what I am picking up on mostly. There is a slight sweetness, probably a result of the lactose.

The first thing I notice upon my first sip was the sweetness from the lactose sugar. It definitely adds a slight variant that I'm not used to tasting in a DIPA, but it's not a bad thing. After it sits on your tongue for a little bit, some of the citrus hops that were present in the nose come out to play. The sugary sweetness comes back for the finish and lingers on the tongue long after the beer is gone.

The lactose makes this a little thicker feeling than the typical DIPA and the carbonation level is light to medium. I thought it was a little overly sweet, which knocked the drinkability down just a bit. The 9.5% ABV is hidden quite well. A fairly good DIPA, but a little too sweet for my personal preference when it comes to the style. Glad I was able to try it, but probably not one I'd buy frequently.

4.48/5  rDev +7.2%

Initial appearance after pouring was nice creamy 1 finger head, almost a copper hue. I could barely see through as it was quite cloudy and thick. The smell was a hoppy citrus but then let up into a more malty and sugary smell.

The taste of this is where I almost fell in love. I love IPA's and DIPA's but this one although on the sweet side has such a distinct taste and texture that doesnt get duplicated anywhere I have experienced as of yet.

The slick creamy feel starts out and then a hoppy bite, followed by the lactose sugar and malty tones are balanced out very nicely! Chewy oranges come to mind, with a bit of mango cream.

Overall this is a very very tasty brew. Coming from a 22 oz. you don't need much more than this in one sitting as it definately quenches the palate and the heart of an IPA lover. For the style I definately rate this brew up there with quality and uniqueness not found elsewhere. Ten thumbs up - oh and did I mention Oranges? Definately on the short list for me to pick up again.

4.46/5  rDev +6.7%

A- One of the most impressive looking beers I've ever poured. Glowing amber yellow with a perfect one finger white head. Massive amounts of lacing, and great retention.

S- Nice scents mostly piney hops such as simcoe or Amarillo.

T- Marvelous amount of bitter. Perfectly masks the extreme abv percentage. I wish I could say I taste the lactose but I really can't, perhaps some excess sweetness but I can't point that its from the lactose.

M- Fine mouth feel, super smooth, leaves a thin coat but doesn't cling too long.

D- I suppose the beer isn't the most drinkable because of the high abv but I think of that as sessionable, where as drinkable constitutes how much of this stuff I want to drink. Its a great beer that I could drink all night long I should have bought 4 bottles.

3.56/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

A-Poured into my Duvel tulip. Bright golden orange with a little haze. No retention, but good lacing.

S-I think this bottle may be a little old because the hops arent what they should be. I smell mostly malt, little pine hops.

T-Similiar to the smell,malty and slight pine hops. Little disapointing from the other reviews. Slight lactose flavor.

M-Love the mouthfeel, the lactose creates almost a "base" feel, very slippery. Its fun and I like it.

D-Dissapointing, as the bottle is old. If they brew this again, I will try and get a fresh one and review again. However, I still liked it, so I can only imagine what it was fresh.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks to iconoklaztor for the awesome trade.
Poured into a snifter, nice large frothy head that fairly quickly dissipates, leaving a fair amount of lacing. The color is a perfect burnt orange.
The aromas coming from this beer are amazing; citrus, pine, dank weed. Wonderful! I got a nostril full while inhaling too deeply.
The flavors follow the nose. Big citrus, grapefruit, tangerine. A nice piney resin finish. I don't get much if any of the lactose, other than a nice sweet balance to the hops bitterness and bite.
Clean and crisp with just enough lingering residue to remind you of the wonderful elixir that has recently passed through your lips.
If this was available to me it would be a regular purchase. This is up there with some of the best DIPA's I've ever had.

4.18/5  rDev 0%

A - Poured a yellowish orange with a white fluffy head

S - Smells of Orange rind, floral, spice, hops, sweet candy

T - Orange rind, hops, floral, sweet caramel malt, a little pine

M - Moderate carbonation, full body

D - SUPER balanced IPA. Sweet and hoppy. Very nice one from three floyds

4.18/5  rDev 0%

Pours a hazy orange with one finger of off white head. Excellent lacing clinging to the glass. Aroma is initially very fruity and sweet, but seems to dissipate quickly. Taste is initially sweet, moving to citrus and finally piney hops. Medium bodied, well-carbonated, and creamy. Very drinkable and little note of alcohol.

Very well done overall, but a doesn't top Pliny the Elder in my book.

4.64/5  rDev +11%

Alright first review

I just got lucky enough to pick this one up tonight along with a another bomber from fff.Three floyds has changed my perspective on beer forever and I will be reviewing alot of their brews because they're 5 minutes away from my house!
Lucky me!
Alright on to the cow...

App.- Hazy amber great look the head was about an inch and lasted for a good 10 minutes.

Smell- Smell is fantastic ! you can smell the citrus kick right off the bat along with the sweetness of the lactose milk sugar.

taste- First it starts tangy and citrusly , and very quickly you taste the sweetness of malt and milk sugar , it's mind blowing. Dreadnaughts cousin , but i think better.

mouthfeel- pretty average for a double IPA a little thick, I'd say about medium or a little above that

Drinkability- GREAT! for something this strong wow it drinks so well. a bomber of it will make your blood flow thats for sure.

Overall- If your a fan of dreadnaught its a must try.

3.94/5  rDev -5.7%

Apocalypse Cow is a big fat, sweet beer, from the addition of lactose, but its got citrus and orange hops bones to back up that heft. As the beer warms the alcohol content becomes apparent but otherwise the 11% disappears.

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

A: cloudy orange with a 2 finger head that dissipates to pretty much nothing with some decent laciing

S: smells great. killer citrus in the nose and just that lovely hops smell that is expected in a double IPA. has a good sweet smell in there too

T: A little bit more of a pine hop comes through along with the citrus notes. The body is real nice and creamy and different. the hops dont attack my tongue like usual and it allows for some easier drinking but still get that huge flavor somehow

M: Nice and creamy on the mouth. Carb is pretty much perfect the the style.

D: 11% is awesome for the drinkability. I would not of guessed that by the way its going down so easily.Like i said before the lactose is kind of getting a coating on my mouth so the hops arent affecting my speed of drink.

Apocalypse Cow from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.