Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Behemoth Blonde Barleywine | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Behemoth Blonde BarleywineBehemoth Blonde Barleywine

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Barleywine

A huge, sweet Barley Wine with complex caramel malt notes, balanced by generous hopping and a high alcohol content. This fruity and malty beer is best enjoyed while keeping warm in the brutal winter months.

2005 Bottle release - Pink Wax
2007 Bottle release - Yellow Wax, hands not skull on flat finish label (Brewed in Nov 06)
2008 Bottle release - Purple Wax
2009 Bottle release - Blue Wax
2010 Bottle release - Green Wax
2011 Bottle release - White Wax
2011 Bottle release - Yellow Wax, glossy label, skull on label (Ohio only)
2012 Bottle release - Red Wax

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-04-2002

4.2

Reviews: 579 | Ratings: 1,787
4.31/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz Bomber
$15.00
Three Floyds Brewery

2007 Bottling
Yellow Wax

Thought I'd go with something I've been wanting to try for awhile now. I must say I'm pretty excited. Behemoth Blonde pours decent looking mahogany red but when held to the light it glows ruby. Small lines of carbonation bubbles crawl to the surface. A one finger ivory head formed on the pour that slowly fell and left sheet lacing as it did. Excellent looking beer.

This barleywine is packed to the gills with big aromas. One thing that actually is a little subdued is the hoppiness. A little strange coming from Three Floyds, especially in a barleywine. There are hops but I expected a hop bomb. There is a lot of brown sugar and caramel. Maybe even some raisins. Doughy with a squeeze of grapefruit juice and spicy alcohol. Wonderfully complex.

Definately more hops on the tongue than in the nose. This could actually be more complex in the flavor than the aroma. Brown sugar right up front fades into the doughiness of dark bread and caramel. Theres a very smooth and enjoyable nuttiness that I can't identify. On the finish those hops take hold and the stomping begins. Grapefruit and sticky resiny hops beat all over your mouth and just linger and linger. Holding on as long as possible. Very complex and big. Just my style.

As I get down to the subject of mouthfeel my lips are completely numb. It's been awhile since a beer has done that to me and I love it. For such a heavy big brew this barleywine is in no way sticky or overly sweet. Thick body that becomes airy as it hits the back of the tongue. Silky smooth with that lingering hop kick.

Great drinkability for such a big complex beer. It will easily burn out your tastebuds but that wouldn't stop me. If I had a steady supply I would tip them back regularly.

I decided to try this for my 200th review and I'm glad I did. A barleywine that's hard to reckon with. This is the best barleywine I've sampled in recent memory. Another superb beer from Three Floyds.

Reviewed: 7/7/07

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bomber bottle that was wax sealed. This bottle has one creepy label. The label depicts a blond, fat, and rather pink woman wearing a green one piece bathing suit with a sash around her that reads "Miss Behemoth." Off to the sides of the woman are two creepy Adams Family like men eyeing this behemoth beauty. Surrounding these creepy people is the name of the beer and the 3F skull. The outer edges of the labels hold the mandatory US info, a description of the beer, and a small map to the brewery. You can tell what vintage this beer is from the color of the wax. My bottle was sealed with red wax which means its from 2012.

I poured this Barleywine into my Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Snifter. From behind the super creepy label came a very tame dark and hazy cranberry orange colored beer. It was hazy that my eyes had a hard time trying to find my fingers on the other side of the glass. The color of the beer was better looking than the head of foam, but the head of foam was nothing to shrug off. At the height, the head of foam was 3/4 of inch tall and light beige in color. It was one of those colors that was in between white and beige. This indecisive head of foam had good retention that left behind a medium sized strings of rings and a handful of sticky streaks of lace.

Right off the bat was this Barleywine's rich hoppy scent. It smelled like the hops were a mix of citrus hops and piney hops. Like the head of foam, the hops couldn't decide on what to be. It smelled like hops wanted to take control of the aroma, but the toasted caramel malts came in a shut them down. There wasn't much after the malt. My nose only picked up a little more pine and a subtle whiff of grapefruit.

I thought this beer was going to be powerful, but it really wasn't. It wasn't strong alcohol powerful. This beer had a different power. This power was taste. Like the aroma, it was the hops that kicked off the taste. At least the hops could make up their mind on what to be. The hops tasted like bitter citrus hops. Following the hops was some pine and grapefruit. It was after those flavors where the taste then finished up with a really nice amount of toasted caramel malts and a splash of toffee. Very nice!

This was a medium to full bodied Barleywine that had a good amount of lively carbonation and a full flavored aftertaste. This aftertaste contained more citrus hops, grapefruit, toffee, and toasted caramel malts. The aftertaste came on strong, but quickly died down. It left a short lived sweet toffee taste in the back of my throat.

I originally thought this beer was going to an alcoholic mess, but I temporary forgot that this was a 3F beer. This was a well done semi sweet and flavorful Barleywine. I would very much like another bottle to age.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2012 Red Wax Behemoth

The complexion of this barleywine was Crystal clear through a light amber hue. Very filtered appearance it poured with loads of fizzy carbonation and built a loose quickly retreating head.

The scent is strong, deeply diverse and aromatic. Lots of dark and dried fruit can be found such as; plum, prune, raisin, fig and dates. I also found a strong mahogany and cedar wood scent. Some grain and malt can be found but it's dominated by the fruit.

The taste is a little less complex with prune and date flavor first. Dried fruit sweetness and body yields to a hoppy pine and alcohol tinged flavor. As it warms to room temperature the alcoholic flavor leaves and it carries the dried fruit longer.

Overall, this barleywine held up to the hype and offered a fantastic experience.

4.39/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

650ml yellow waxed bomber poured into tulip 17/6/13 alpineclimber hooked me up cheers dude.
Had to do some research but this one has the hands logo and not the skull logo on the label so it would be the yellow wax from 2007

A glows ruby red with a few slow bubbles that produce two fingers of dark tan head that doesn't have the best retention but manages to leave 4 pencil thin rings of lace

S lots of brown sugar and burnt caramels, some spiced rum raisin cake,cotton candy, honey, and just a little pine and citrus with just a hint of tobacco leaf, earthy notes as it warms, smells sweet but sexy

T small step back from the nose, still has some pine resin but its mostly malty caramel and brown sugar at this point, quite nice with the booze being very well hidden

M silky upon entry leaning towards full and a little syrupy and very sticky on the lips, no heat and a little pine resin and on the finish and some grit left behind, about what I look for from the style

O I love a big sweet BW and this one delivers just that, not lacking in any areas and excelling in a few, well worth looking for

very well executed and its holding up well, still has some faint hops shining through and I can only imagine how much enamel this peel off your teeth fresh. Something I'd definitely keep my eye out for in the future both fresh and aged

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Blind BIF Beer #7

Regular 22oz bottle. The cap was not covered enough, so we could tell this was FFF immediately.

It looked like a barleywine, and I had had a 2012 Behemoth a couple weeks back. I thought the 2012 Behemoth was amazingly complex., so this is a combo review.

Sweet smell. Tastes like an old ale barleywine combo. I wrote in my notes that this was not behemoth though because it lacked the complexity of the 2012.

Guess: Risgoop.

Reveal: Huh? I deservingly got laughed at for being so sure it was not behemoth. I would have given this a 3.75.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottled on 2-1-16 poured in my Three Floyd's not quite a pint glass.

Look- Pours a deep amber color with a generous finger plus of creamy off white foam.

Smell- Grapefruit, mild passionfruit and mango, followed by floral esters. There is malt and some yeast that emerge from the hop forward nature of this beer.

Taste- Grapefruit, some passionfruit and a lot of floral notes in the finish. There is a nice complement of malt in the finish after the hop bite subsides.

Feel- Creamy, slick, oily, and way too easy to drink for a 10.5% abv. beer.

Overall- This is probably my favorite 'blonde' barleywine although it's more deep amber in color. I'm being sarcastic as it's a beautiful looking beer that is very hop forward, but has a complementary slick malt backbone that makes this one great tasting and easy drinking barleywine. One I look forward to every year.

4.11/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2012 Vintage

Hazy copper with a less than one finger tan head, which quickly fades to a small disc of foam, with sticky lacing. The aroma has caramel, dark fruit, citrus, and citrus zest.

The taste is a nice balance of sweetness, and hoppy bitterness with caramel, dark fruit, citrus, citrus zest, and brown sugar. It's amazing that this beer is still as hoppy as it is, after one year in the cellar. Age has also mellowed this beer so there is virtually no taste of alcohol.

Medium to full bodied with modest carbonation. As mentioned before, the alcohol is well hidden. I suspect the alcohol would have been pretty strong if I drank this beer fresh. Very nicely made, and i would gladly buy this again if I get the chance.

4.79/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage

a: dark burnt orange. a nice lacing around the glass

s: dang! there is a ton going on here! burnt oranges, lemon rind, and grapefruit juice. treat cherries covered in vanilla and a burnt caramel. this smells awesome. a bit of earthly pine in here too. inviting!

t: starts with sweet cherries, caramel and burnt toast. there is almost an oaky quality here. dark fruit lingers in the edges of my tongue and play nicely with the sweet malt and tropical hop. some grapefruit and wonderful pine. a fantastic dry finish. as it warns the alcohol comes out more and some.funky yeast characteristics appear. wow this keeps changing!

m it drinks lighter than the abv. very very smooth with an awesome finish that lingers.

o: this is awesome. it's complex and changes with ever sip. 3 Floyd nailed it. I can't wait to see how it ages. the hops here are awesome and it is extremely well balanced. /96

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

orange wax edition, shared with friends, thank goodness. this beast pours a burnt orange color, with lots of yeast sediment and maybe an inch of just off white head. the nose is really sweet, English toffee, dark caramel, brown sugar, and beet sugars as well. there is also a lot of hops, not quite hog heaven level, but this is definitely an American barleywine, with some pine notes and even some tropical fruits emanating from the hopping. the taste is crisp for how sweet it is, and I think the hops do save this beer from being just a sugar bomb. the alcohol is piercing, and the flavors all combine to be like a really good bread pudding. sort of odd in a beer, but I enjoyed the flavors coming together as they did. the feel is a little sluggish. not quite bubbly enough, and the sweetness starts to take hold after half a glass or so. this beer becomes pretty punishing when its warm, but so do most barleywines. I know its the wrong time of year for this, so maybe that had something to do with my dislike of the mouthfeel, but this is a complex and enjoyable beer nevertheless. still waiting to be blown away by three floyds though.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

22 oz bottle poured into snifter.
2013 edition with around 6months on it.

Appearance-pours a deep red/brown, very cloudy, small off white head which disappears quickly. Some lacing around the sides. 4

Aroma-aroma is a very even mix of hops and malt. Citrus hops are the first through, lots of grapefruit. Some fig and other dark fruits peaking their noses in. Very complex and hard to dig into. I'm also getting some cherry and vanilla. 4

Taste-that's a very even taste. Hops and malt work side by side perfectly in this one. Yes, there's bitter hops up front. There's also some nice dark fruit malts in there too.
Not one thing seems to overtake the other. 4

Feel-medium to full body, lots of boozieness in the mouth, a real good sipper. 4.25

Overall-I have had barleywines that I like more then this for one reason or the other, but I can't recall one that is this even. I really can't say that enough, it could be because I aged this a little, but the hops are completly even with the malts. Price is a little expensive, but its worth it for this beer, an all night sipper. 4

4.39/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2013 bottle (orange wax) into FFF Teku

Pour: A dark hue of an amber reddish orange with a big three finger off white head that lingers for a long time. Sticky lacing is clinging all over the glass.

Smell: Very citrus and orange peel forward at first. Then a big caramel sweetness with a touch of honey.

Taste: Big citrus hop notes hit up front first. Then I get the sweetness in what I'd call a candied apple like taste. There is also a malt backbone with biscuit and yeast. The back end is a finishing of toffee sweetness mixed with citrus and grassy hops. Delicious!

Mouthfeel: Rich and syrup like coating the palate well. Does not seem to stay long after the swallow except I do notice the alcohol burn lingering. Does seem to lack a bit here. Medium carbonation.

Overall: I am a huge english style barleywine fan but damn does FFF hit the mark on this one. It has their well known hop profile with a candied sweetness in perfect harmony. Love this beer!

4.49/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have had three vintages of this monster. I love love barley wine but the Behemoth seems to stand out compared to the others. It has that signature Floyds taste to it even for being a Barley Wine. Sweet, touch of hoppiness, and goes down very very smooth. I wish that this was a year around beaty

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

650 ml bottle, 2013 vintage with orange wax, poured into a Three Floyds' Teku glass.

The beer pours a deep amber color with hues of red and burgundy. A 2 finger high, bone colored, soapy head rises from the beer with decent retention and nice lacing. The aroma is a bit muddled, piney, sticky hops hits the nose straight away but quickly lead to sweet brown sugar, rich dark malted grain, toffee and pitted fruit with a huge boozy kick. The balance is a bit awkward and the alcohol is quite harsh. The flavors are a bit smoother and more integrated. Bitter, pine forward hops rush out but are cut by sweet brown sugar, toffee, pitted fruit and super harsh alcohol at the finish with just a touch of smokey alcohol. The body is nice, coats the mouth well, a bit bubbly and lively for my tastes when it comes to a barleywine, but the finish is dry and bitter, plays nicely with the hops.

Verdict: A good but not great barleywine from Three Floyds. Best when super fresh and with some years on it, but the hops do feel a bit out of place in this brew. An interesting experiment in the American style, but doesn't match the smooth, rich complexity of an English style barleywine.

4.04/5  rDev -3.8%

Good Beer Sunday
2012 Red Wax, snifter
A - nice off white head poured straight down the middle, really nice lacing!
S - taste it before you smell it because the smell will throw you off. This beer smells like a hop bomb
T - ok, the smell really had me curious what this one was going to be like but its a different beer when you drink it. the hops are forward but the end note is barley wine. Its definitely sweet but not maple syrup sweet, its candied citrus/ white sugar sweet. the 10.5% is very well hidden
M - very nice, thick, par for the course
O - Overall I am not disappointed in this one and am really enjoying it. I like my BW's way more malty but I can also appreciate how well balanced this one it, its a great flavor, really well made beer. I don't know that I would go out of my way to get it again but would definitely be interested in trying variants. Not my favorite choice for the style but still a really great beer
Skol

4.37/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Beer pours dark amber/red with about 2 fingers of khaki head. The head dies fast and bubbles still sit on top of the beer.

It smells sweet, like brown sugar, and floral. There is a little berry nose to this--I'm thinking strawberry.

Yep! It's is enormously sweet, yet very well balanced. I love the flavor. Again there is a lot of brown sugar. There is also some caramel sweetness. The beer has a little bitterness on the aftertaste, showing the beer's American barleywine character. The hop presence is mostly floral. The booze is very well hidden, especially for a fresh vintage.

The mouth feel is sticky sweet, medium/heavy-bodied, and has medium carbonation. I wish the mf was a little bigger and richer, but it's a small critique for a great beer.

I'm a big fan of this beer. The hops are in a great place right now, IMO. However, I think the mouth feel and sweetness will benefit with some age. I just hope the hops stay strong with time, in which case this will be a phenomenal brew!

4.49/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Dark-red amber, big head.

Smell: Big sweet orange/citrus aroma.

Taste: Sweet citrus, oranges, balanced flavor between sweet and hoppy. More of a DIPA feel and flavor than barleywine.

Mouthfeel: Moderate feel, not too heavy for 10.5%.

Overall: I finally got to try this one as Hudson got some in. Very good stuff, it does remind me more of a sweet DIPA than a hoppy barleywine, but that's fine by me. Nice and hoppy but not bitter, solid sweetness but not cloying. Tasty stuff.

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured into Ranger Creek tulip, served at 50 degrees
2013 Orange wax

A: Beautifully dark orange/ruby red with a very creamy off-white head that slowly dissipates and leaves heavy lacing

S: I'm not getting a hole lot, but I'm a bit stuffed up so this whole review might be a bit biased. Some alcohol, some fruits, some toffee/malty bits.

T: Heavy on the alcohol but not a burn, certainly warms the stomach. Has some malty sweetness, has some odd other flavors. It's missing the toffee the caramel the richness that I was really expecting from it. This may all be because this is a 2013 and it's just too green... I have another bottle that will age for at least a year or more and I'll come back and re-do this review and see the differences/

M: Nicely thick but not cloying, smooth, velvety

D: Pretty easily drinkable for such a big beer. I think some time on it will do wonders... at least I hope so for the $16 a bottle I spent!

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Served in a Chimay chalice.

Appearance-
Muddy brown, with hint of red. Thin head at best, disappears quickly.

Smell-
Wonderfully hoppy at first, sugary second, and alcohol third. The combination, strangely, reminds me of minnows.

Taste-
Delightful, a very present hop taste akin to pale ales. The malt comes through sweetly, but not syrupy like some of your stronger beers. The best part, the alcohol taste is surprisingly hidden.

Mouthfeel-
Low carbonation, a little oily, but par for the course when it comes to barley wines.

Overall-
Easily the best barley wine I have had, but that is more due to the hops than anything else.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Type: 22 oz bomber
Glass: Snifter
Additional: 2013 release

Appearance: a brown color with good clarity. a couple fingers of a tannish head that leaves a lacing on the sides

Smell: not much discernable but certainly hops and sweet malts. wish i could pick more out

Taste: caramel malts, citrus hops, vanilla, alcohol. almost taste like it was aged in oak the flavors are so blended.

Mouthfeel: heavy. bitter and warming afterwards. a little bit of pleasant creaminess

Overall: the only big beer i got from three floyds during my trip to indiana but a winner. the flavor is complex and taste. I wish i could taste an aged one cause i think itd play out real nice. for the price its definitely a treat but if it was available where i live i might pick up one a year and let it go from there

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to cfances33 for this bottle!
(2013 vintage, reviewed 3/13)

That murky sort of copper / honey gold color that I remember with a sexy ass thin finger of off-white head that paints lace all over the place. A bit of oily booze legs and a surprising amount of beading. Thick bubbles border the glass to form a stubborn collar from start to finish.

Oh mommy. This smells incredible. I'm getting that awesome Dreadnaught type of hop profile on the nose layered with caramel cake and raw honey. I like where this is headed...

Boom. Massive waves of tropical and citric hop flavors. Juicy... Salt n Peppa and Heavy D up in the limousine... if you catch my drift. So fucking tasty. You gotta have this stuff fresh. Hoppy goodness.

Thanks bro man!

Poured from bomber to snifter, big thanks to mordormongo for this!
(2012 vintage, reviewed 6/12)

Blonde? Maybe a real dirty blonde. Pours a bright amber - pretty much exactly the color of the amber that the mosquito was preserved in from the first Jurassic Park movie. Nice finger of silky off-white head that fades out to a thick collar with some spotty bits retaining in the middle. Very nice to look at.

Smells massive... boozy resinous hops, caramel, butterSCOTCH... I could keep my nostrils shoved down in there for a good while, and even as it sits in front of me on the table I can smell how pungent it is.

Definitely a substantial hop presence... hops, then some malty bits, then a booze burn that dries things up. In my mind, the taste of this thing borders a big old IIPA. Enough hops to satisfy a non-barleywine drinker I think.

The feel is rather low as the booze is really pretty harsh. I don't mind that one bit myself but it does affect drinkability.

Extremely pleased with this one. Thanks very much Scott!

4.52/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 650 ml waxed bottle into a Surly Darkness chalice. 2013 vintage with orange wax.

Appearance: Pours a very deep and hazy brownish amber orange with a lot of bubbles sticking to the glass. About one finger of off white head which fades into a patchy layer. Leaves a lot of lacing around the glass.

Smell: A big and rich aroma of fruity hops, sweet malts, and booze. Big mix of hops upfront with hints of citrus orange, grapefruit, mango, pineapple, apricot, papaya, lemon, and peach. Earthy grass and some spicy pine. Strong malt backbone with hints of sweet caramel, toffee, biscuit, and yeast. Also some candied sugar sweetness. Scent of alcohol is fairly strong as expected. A really good aroma. Almost like a West Coast IPA with the hop presence.

Taste: Follows the nose with a big taste of citrus and earthy hops with sweet caramel malts. Big hop taste with notes of citrus grapefruit, orange peel, mango, pineapple, apricot, lemon, papaya, and peach. Herbal hops and spicy pine resin along with some grass. Some candy like sugar. Big malt presence with notes of sweet caramel, toffee, biscuit, toast, and yeast. Some alcohol taste is in the mix as well. A really good hop forward taste that is well backed by the malts.

Mouthfeel: Very full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Juicy, chewy, and somewhat sticky. Alcohol heat is felt as expected but it isn't overwhelming.

Overall: A really great American style Barleywine. Huge hop taste with some really nice citrus esters. IPA like with the hops but a big enough boozy malt presence to remind you that it is a Barleywine. One of the best in the style.

3.94/5  rDev -6.2%

an amber pour, cloudy, with a finger of creme colored head. smells of heavy booze, lots of sweet bready malt, spicy herbal hop profile. a sweet but subtle malty flavor. lots of sugary sweetness, a bit of banana, lots of booze flavor. full body with low carbonation, very heavy warmth.

this is a decent barleywine, a little bit different from what i was expecting - and VERY booze forward. not bad, and i wouldn't mind seeing how last year's bottle held up.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

This barley wine just flat out kicks butt! what an awesome brew! for the style this is the best that I have had and would seek it out again. FFF does it again with a high quality beer. Pours a small head, it's a little thick but the mouth feel is good. The ABV is hidden well and it has a hidden hop character to it.

Bottom Line: Exceptional barley wine beer!

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Orange wax (2013 Version)

A - Brown/Red in color. semi opaque- a bit hazy. white cream head- finger thick, lots of lacing.

S - Good amount of hops. carmel, dried fruit. scent of an IPA.

T - Hoppy. If your expected the english style - haha....certainly not that. Carmel malt sweetness. initially real sweet but bitter as it goes down. wine + IPA?

M - viscosity is high but froth level is a bit unimpressive - med/low. covers the mouth decently tho.

O - I honestly would not know this was a barleywine. Yes, I understand it was the American version. But it really tastes and feels like a Imperial IPA with a small amount of sweet red wine added. Whatever you wanna call it, it did enjoy it - while very sweet, I would recommend it.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle from zrab11 (thanks man!). January 2013 release, but no printed bottling info. Served in an Ommegang tulip snifter.

Pours ruby tinged brown with one and a half fingers sandy pale head that leaves a good bit of head.

Nice citrusy hop nose with sweet caramel and brown sugar in the background.

Grapefruit and orangey hop flavor dominate the flavor initially. Then brown sugar, caramel, a little earth and a healthy dose of booze. Really quite tasty with many more sweet and hoppy layers that present as it reaches room temperature. My description doesn't really do justice to the complexity of the malty hoppy goodness of Behemoth.

Nice syrupy medium thick body with a refreshingly subtle light carbonation. Goes down much easier/smoother than the 10.5% abv might imply. Great, lasting sweet but hoppy finish.

It drinks almost like an imperial IPA, which is perhaps why I like this so much. I'm really torn between saving the other I have and drinking it soon. Hopefully I can get more so both will be an option! Another win from Three Floyds in my book and certainly worth a try if you can get it.

Behemoth Blonde Barleywine from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.