Behemoth Blonde Barleywine | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Behemoth Blonde BarleywineBehemoth Blonde Barleywine

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States

Style: American Barleywine

A huge, sweet Barley Wine with complex caramel malt notes, balanced by generous hopping and a high alcohol content. This fruity and malty beer is best enjoyed while keeping warm in the brutal winter months.

2005 Bottle release - Pink Wax
2007 Bottle release - Yellow Wax, hands not skull on flat finish label (Brewed in Nov 06)
2008 Bottle release - Purple Wax
2009 Bottle release - Blue Wax
2010 Bottle release - Green Wax
2011 Bottle release - White Wax
2011 Bottle release - Yellow Wax, glossy label, skull on label (Ohio only)
2012 Bottle release - Red Wax
2013 Bottle release - Orange Wax
2014 Bottle release - Blue Wax
2015 Bottle release - Purple Wax
2016 Bottle release - Black Metallic Wax

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-04-2002

Reviews: 583 | Ratings: 1,802
4.64/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A lucky find, and glad to have it.

Pours a thick, murky brown with a quickly disappearing white head.

Big sugary aroma, dark ripe fruit and alcohol. Altogether inviting, promising bigness.

Praise Jeremy, it's not too sweet. Brown sugar sweetness balanced by a roasty, bitter graininess, an skillful amount of oxidation and quick slap of alcohol. Not at all hot, I can't believe it's 12.5 ABV. Leaves the tounge coated with an oil slick of the bittersweet variety. Really nice. Don't change a thing. Exceptional.

Full and smooth, with that typical creamy 3F mouthfeel that is so very appealing. A big, big girl, this one.

So easy to drink, this lady could get me in trouble in a hurry. I'd get a case if I could 1.) find it; and 2.) afford it.

Great beer. Great label. Great brewery. Sometimes it all comes together.

You'll like this if you like:
Great Divide's Old Ruffian — gentler than this big lady
Stone's Old Guardian — head of the class
Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot — wins by a peter's hair
Hair of the Dog's Fred — he's a bit harsher, needs a shave ... or time
Moylan's Old Blarney — a damn fine brew, I might add
Young's Old Nick — English, true, but don't be a weenie about it

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed at the Three Floyds' brewpub on 2/18/11 after a morning trip down from Traverse City, MI with fellow BA zoso1967 and his wife (thanks for driving!).

Behemoth is served up dark copper with glints of gold into a small snifter. A 1.5 finger light khaki head swells on top of the body. The lacing is phenomenal and looks like paint thrown onto a wall from a flicked brush.

The initial smell announces aromas of sweet caramel malts and fresh hop juice. DAMN! This is a fresh, delicious, fruity smelling beer. Candied fruit, orange juice, tropical fruits (pineapple and honeydew melon) waft wonderfully out of the glass. Ah, Behemoth, you smell like a fresh spring morning in an orchard.

Wow, the taste is a fresh, fruity, layered treat. Orange, caramel, and pineapple combine to produce a wild, full taste. The hop presence seriously steps it up at the end of the sip with a resinous, grassy, grapefruit finish. It is quite amazing how the hops dry out such a sweet and full beer.

The mouthfeel is very full, hearty, and coating in the middle of the sip and very dry at the end. This is medium to full bodied for the style with medium carbonation that complements the body perfectly. The finish is puckeringly dry.

Wow, count me impressed by Behemoth. It is eminently drinkable for a huge beer. How is it so sweet at first, but so dry at the end? I could have a few of these (and probably hurt a lot afterward). This is perhaps the best Barleywine that I've had. I really love Three Floyds' beers.

4.62/5  rDev +10%

Opened as part of a beer tasting with ritzkiss, bobsy and viggo. As this was well into the evening, I have no idea who's bottle it was. Thanks for the awesome beer hang guys.

Dark-amber in colour. Almost seems like it would be transparent if it wasn't so dark. Thin cover of cream white head.

Smells of honey, butter and cream (lactic), floral hops. Wow, this smells awesome.

This is one of the best beers I've ever tasted. Massive, delicious flavour. Tons of hops, butter, caramel; slightly savoury even. No ABV to be felt. Amazing.

Creamy medium body with mild carbonation.

This is the best barley wine I've ever tried. This would be amazingly drinkable at any ABV, never mind 12.5%. Ridiculous. I can't wait to get more.

4.62/5  rDev +10%

22oz bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity... Cap sealed with pink wax.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" tan head over the dark copper brew. Head holds nicely for the style, with slow-fading lacing. Aroma is super fruity hops, with ample malt character and alcohol whiffs. Flavor is bubble gum hops, with the malt sweetness up to the supporting role, and substantial alcohol warming in the fade-out. Have to admit it doesn't seem like 12.5abv. Mouthfeel and drinkability are incredible for what this beer "weighs" in at. One of the most drinkable heavy beers I've encountered. Scary stuff.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Vintage 2005 fresh from brewery's release party.

Pours a clear reddish maghogany with tan head that reduces to a ring hugging the wine glass. Aroma of citrus (pineapple and grapefruit) hops and premium malts. Should age well - I will try another bottle in 3 months. Alcohol stays hidden even in late stages as it reaches room temps. Full-bodied with slick mouthfeel. Flavors of huge malt bill, soft alcohol, light caramel balance with strong Cascade and Amarillo hops. IBU's remove the huge malts and cotton candy- light caramels in the finish.

Very easy drinking no need to share the bomber, although I am sharing this 1st bomber from the case with my brew partner as we map out the next half dozen home brew recipes before we order ingredients. Here's hoping our upcomming Barleywine is nearly as good at this big Behemoth.

My kind of woman!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Ruby slipper red, with hints of brown. The head is frothy and off-white of course.

Aroma: Bang hops. Sharp hops. Fruityness and malty bread aromas push their way through. The fruit is plumy and raisiny. You can smell the sharp hops walling up a barracade against the fruit.

Taste: The sweet malty backbone starts up quickly in the taste. There are more hops in here than you could have even imagined from the extremely hoppy smells. Big hop flavor. But the big hop flavor seems fairly well balanced by the caramel fruityness of the malt. The beer finishes a tad bit sweeter than you would expect from the aroma. Don't get me wrong, there are tons of hop flavor that flitter through this one. Underlying the entire taste on the tongue is a solid hop presence. The mouthfeel is solid and spot on. Carbonation level would make a yeast's daddy proud.

Notes: Good Beer. If you have tried Dreadnaught, you will probably expect nothing less from Three Floyds in the Barleywine category. A must try.

4.62/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 Barley wine from Three Floyds

Poured in a wine glass (best glass available)

A- clear whiskey amber brown. Nice head, with fine lacing

S- earthy and floral with sweet alcoholic notes. Burnt sugar.

T- rich and flavorful, sweet, hoppy, alcohol stings the nose, caramel, fruity wine notes

F- feels like wine, so rich it's chewy.

O- I love this beer. It's really fueled my barley wine obsession. Always look forward to when the beer comes out. Love the artwork and of course the wax.

4.62/5  rDev +10%

Bomber poured into squat Belgian snifter, ...dark mahogany/ burgundy blend fills the glass, out wafts the aroma, and I know I'll be spanked but good!

Little head here, though, it appears for a moment and disappears quickly.

Aroma screams brandy, cherries, hints of bourbon, port wine, licks of leather, spicy and slick...molasses, dark rum, brown sugar..liking it...

Now to taste: the Behemoth floods the mouth with fierce flavor and coats every inch with deliciousness, spreading tendrils of delight through every crack in the palate. And a thunder thuds above, as alcohol creeps along as well...boom, boom...hear his steps as he clods along the corridors of the brain...flavors detected in the nose reassert themselves on the tongue...l the slick sugary darkness, the caramel-y sweetness, the thick, resonant malt, the powerful potency. An aptly named brew, and it appears to be quite stronger than the last time I had it, on tap, nearly 4 years ago. It was 10% then, and a killer diller at that. Guess that envelope had to be pushed, eh, Floyd, Floyd, and Floyd?

Huge body, immense mouthfeel, long, slightly bitter, thick and resiny finish. A hell of a barleywine. But I want it in little bottles, not these monster servings. And I want it available in my home state, again. And I want a million dollars, and a pony, and a Rock'em, Sock'em robots, and Mommy and Daddy to get back together, and world peace, and no hunger, and, and, and...

Boom, boom, boom, I've barely gotten into it, and it's knocking at my frontal lobes...we're coming i-in...hide the ki-ids...here I am, wishing I'd saved this for a get-together with friends, and continue drinking it solo, and hoping I don't wake up wanting to kill myself tomorrow morning...afternoon...?

I really, really like this, but it's a serious sipper of a brew, one that should accompany a long evening with the works of Wordsworth at hand, Old Dog Tray at one's feet, a roaring fire beside, attired in a comfortable robe...you know the scene...

I'm drooling over the intense flavors as much as the goons on the label, but not drooling over Miss Behemoth as they are...I just don't find three chins very sexy.

(Also, confused by the name...nothing "blonde" about this beauty!)

4.61/5  rDev +9.8%

Cheers to joe1510, this one will go nice with the cool Colorado August night we're having!

Pours orange/caramel with 2 fingers of fluffy tan head. Crazy lacing & good head retention

S: Nice bourbon notes, leafy hops, & faint dark fruits, that all fade quickly.

T: Cakeyness, ghost booze & hints of Bourbon & dryness up front. Oakyness, booze-soaked raisins & plums, pralines & grapefruit as this warms.

MF: Smooth, stickyness follows, low carbonation & superb balance along with nice chewyness

Drinks great for the abv & style, some addtional aging might've helped this one in this tasting , but I rate it a great ABW!

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

- White wax, 2011 vintage

Deep, rich amber in color with orangish highlights. Nice thick, creamy white head of foam that coats the glass. Very complex fruitiness going on in the nose. Tropical. Aromas of pineapple and mangos. Citrus as well, with fresh orange peels and pink grapefruit. Pine, tree sap, red delicious apples, sweet malt and toffee back up the fruit.

Moderate carbonation, smooth and creamy on the palate. A very soft and easy drinking
barleywine. Getting alot of the same fruit in the taste. Pineapple, pink grapefruit, melon. Like biting into a orange peel. Sweet, sticky on the lips. Good malt. Toffee, burnt or caramelized brown sugar, maple syrup. The hops hit you in the finish. Citrus, tree sap, pine-spruce, kinda woody hop character. Nice bitterness which lingers in the back of the palate. Sweet and piney brew that stays sticky on the lips. As the beer warms the hops and toffee malt characters become more pronounced.

This is a great barleywine fresh or with a couple years of age on it. For me a world class brew.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Secret Santa 2005 # 5

Tis a cold winter night, Eighteen inches of snow blankets our sleepy little town. By the light of the roaring fire my goblet is colored ruby red, with a thick creamy tan collar.

The aroma is rich, sweet, enticing, candy, bready, fruity and alcoholic.

Taste is rich, sweet, deep not cloying, warming but not too alcoholic, malty and hoppy and piney and nuty and fruity and dear god I thought I would never say it about a Three Floyds beer but it's balanced !

Lucious thick mouthfeel just oozes over the tongue. And it is indeed, absolutley dangerously drinkable.

A wonderful winter experience I hearily recommend.

4.59/5  rDev +9.3%

Pink wax sealed 650 ml bomber, adorned with creative 3F artwork.

As soon as I uncorked this bad boy, I was overwhelmed with smells of pineapple and hop resin. Oh my, what a mouth-watering combination. The beer pours a burnt reddish-orange with a cream colored head. Sure, it was nice to look at, but the smell alone begot an incontinent reaction and I had to taste it.

With the first sip, the pineapple/citrus/hop aromas from the nose resurface, followed by alcoholic hues that are balanced by a caramel sweetness and bread-like mouthfeel. The beer sweetens slightly as it warms and the alcohol becomes more pronounced; more like a ‘conventional’ barley wine.

I really did not find this one to be as overdone as I expected, given the style of the beer and brewery’s track record. Yes, it is aggressively hopped, but it is quite complex and well balanced. Another fine offering from Three Floyds.

4.59/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first blonde Barleywine. This is much more hop forward throughout, with less sweetness than typical Barleywines. As it warms the alcohol comes out, but is masked early on. A terrific beer than I would gladly drink again!

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Paid $19.99 for a bomber from Riley's Wines of the World in Madison, WI. This is the 2009 release. Cellared for just about two years and pour into a large snifter to review.

Yields a nice half inch white head. Glowing orange in color; I would have guessed it was a double IPA by sight. A very thin layer of retention remains and thick lacing lines the snifter as she goes down.

Strong and boozy barleywine aroma. Fig, red grape and grapefruit aromas come through in the fruit category and there is a strong presence of mellowed resious hops, likely from the cellaring. I'm thinking this would have been more hoppy and less boozy as a fresh bottle. Still the citrus, grapefruit and pine are quite evident. Sugary notes of caramel and honey add to its complexity. Butterscotch and oak wood are also present in the nose. The booze is a cross of rum and bourbon.

The bourbon, rum and aged oak wood come through most in the taste, but are so smooth and balanced with many of the aforementioned characteristics I detected in the nose. Hints of smoke come through as well. The dark fruits and mellowed hops make this one complex and enjoyable.

Medium full body and a lusciously smooth going down. Such a pleasant mouthfeel. Transitioned to a medium length aftertaste of oak wood, mild booze and complexity.

High ABV, big in taste and aroma and this one goes down easily. I want more!

This is a world class barleywine. Great to try, but it is a pricy one!

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Deep amber color. Small head. Aroma is floral hops and malts. A very big bold malty and hoppy barleywine. VERY smooth taste. The big rich malts are balanced by big floral citrusy hops. A very well balanced barleywine. The alcohol is not at all evident despite the 11.5%. VERY nice. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is surprisingly dry. Aftertaste is malty, with a lingering slight bitterness.

4.58/5  rDev +9%

I got this in a trade with joe1510. Thanks Joe!

This one pours a clear(from first pour to last) deep amber/copper with about a 1" head of foam.(somewhat vigorous pour)
Lots of nice sticky lacing to be had here.

The smell is nice and powerful with notes of caramel, citrus, and pine. It *smells* balanced for the style.

The taste is, again, nicely balanced with a bold caramel hop character that's offset by equally bold hops, but it's not overpowering in any way. Nice citrus up front, pine shows up about mid palate and shares finishing duty with the malt. Yummy. Not much alcohol apparent other than some slight warming after the swallow. The mouthfeel is medium full and it's pretty lightly carbonated. Wow. I really like this BWSA and it, to me, is *so* easy to drink that I know this bomber isn't going to last as long as it should. Oh well, maybe I can get my hands on some more. ;^) It's one of those brews that hits the spot, if you know what I mean.

The aftertaste is very long lasting...the mix of pine and caramel just keeps on keeping on and that's a great way to end each sip. Another winner from Three Floyds. No doubt about it.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

Seen this bottle over and over and over again, since the first time I've seen it up until this moment I've probably spent a few thousand dollars on beer, yet for some reason I always thought this beer was too expensive. I've had trips to the store where I would drop 50 or 60 bucks total but for some reason couldn't fork over a 20 and change for this beer. Finally, after stopping by a Sal's Beverage World I saw bottles of this stuff for sale for 14.99 when I normally see them for 21.99 or more (more than Darklord sells for, at the brewery at least). There was no way I was going to pass this beer up this time and finally bought a bomber.

Yellow wax dipped cap, not sure what year this is, my guess is 07.

Pours a rusty golden brown. The color of a cloudy iced tea. Head is thick and rich and a sandy golden white. It bubbles down into a thin ring but also manages to leave some pretty substatial lacing considering the size of this beer. Really makes me imagine that the hops could have been a huge factor in this beer at one point.

This beer is pungeant (spelling plz?) just massive doses of malts and hops. Old Ruffian smells similar to this but not quite as hoppy, but to be fair I am going by memomry on that comparison. Booze, honey, brown sugar, molasses, super resiny, I mean hops dipped in the essential oil of hops kind of hoppiness, chocolate, mango, canned pineapple juice. This is a friggin nasal assault, I mean I honestly feel violated by this beer it gets so freaking deep into your nasal cavities it sort of scares me, THE DEFINITION OF AMERICAN-STYLED BARLEYWINES.

Oily, barely carbonated, thick and chewy. I almost hesitate to think what this beer could be like fresh, even after what I would guess was more than a year spent on the shelf this beer manages to display an intese hop bitterness. Granted the hops have a deeper, mellower, more earthy kind of taste to them but are they ever there and they don't let you forget it. They serve to keep things from becoming disgustingly sweet, instead the beer seems to be held in check, cherries, buttery brown sugar, freshly turned planting soil (that may be a bit over the top but if you think about it, it sort of exists), iced tea (I'd wasn't sure what the previous reviewer was talking about, but it's there), hazlenut, chestnut, walnut, boozy plum and herbal hoppines and a fistfull of oak, a big fucking fistfull. Mouthfeel is the only thing that is bothersome for me, just feels a bit undercarbonated and slightly watery as a result, I was hoping after such a huge punch in the face with the aroma that my mouth might be wired shut by a massively chewy malt bomb and while the malt and hop bomb remains try, the beer is not nearly as chewy as I would have imagined or would have liked.

It's taking all my willpower not to guzzle this stuff. It tastes so good, so complex, yet powerful in almost every respect. If the mouthfeel were a bit fuller it would easily be a 5, even considering how big this beer is. Really an amazing beer, would imagine that age does wonderful things to this beer, but even fresh wouldn't be bad either, just really really intensly hoppy I'm sure.

2007 Vintage – DFH Snifter

Appearance: Pours a brilliant clear burnt amber with minimal but clingy off-white head.

Smell: Sweet incredibly complex balanced aroma of light oily hops, warm malt, oak, caramel and spices.

Taste: Wow, finally a beer that tastes as good as it smells! The hops are now present but again well balanced. A taste sensation full of brown sugar, bready malts, maple and spices.

Mouthfeel: Wonderfully creamy and warming as it goes down. Just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: This is scary drinkable. As soon as you start to notice the alcohol, the sensation is gone and you just keep drinking.

Final Comments: I absolutely loved this barleywine and would put it as one of the best American barleywines I have had to date.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

What a brew, sent by orbitalr0x in a nice trade. Thanks mucho!

The yellow wax dipped bottle pours like the double digit alcohol bomb that it is….. hazy amber but just a minimal of head trying to rise up. What little lace there is sticks to the side of the snifter like gorilla glue.

Aroma reminds me of a cross between a west coast DIPA and a classic barleywine with the strong cirtus hops and caramel malts dueling it out.
Again, very strong citrus, orange and syrup bodied brew. Would have guessed DIPA in a blind tasting.

Oily and hoppy BW, you know the alcohol is there, but it doesn’t distract from a fine frosty. Nice rosey cheeks after just one glass.

4.56/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Special thanks to @bakker for sending this!

Absolutely delicious Barleywine. Balanced and unique.

Dark amber with lacing that covers the entire glass all the way down. A full 4 finger head via vigorous pour. Takes about 5 minutes to subside and still remains about a half finger.

The smell is distinguishable from several very feet away. Bubblegum, pine, wine, cherries, hops and grapefruit.

The taste and feel are exactly what I expect out of a hop forward Barleywine. Full bodied, bursting with flavor that begs for another sip. Alcohol is present, but not overbearing. Just right.

Better than Bigfoot in my opinion, absolutely worth a purchase if available and one who enjoys American BWs.

4.56/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Orange wax bottle. Alcohol smell was non existent. Fruity notes remained in the nose. Poured a very hazy copper color. Taste was dark fruit. Cherry, plum, prune with a nice sweetness. I greatly enjoyed this. The hops obviously faded and this almost resembled a quad, but it was fantastic nonetheless.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

Behemoth Barleywine (2005) is best served at warmer cellar temperatures (50-55F) from a small brandy snifter or thistle. A huge Northwest hop bomb explodes out of the bottle filling the air with ripe, pungent hop field aromas. This barleywine pours up with ample carbonation and a bit of anticipation. The deep copper-reddish amber color is bright & beautiful to behold with a medium tannish-white head that dissipates slowly under a barrage of alcohol. Simply magnificant! The resinous Northwest hops (Columbus?) almost completely dominate the aroma with lots of pine tar, pine cone & citrus (grapefruit) notes, but there's some notable caramel malt and alcoholic warmth that underlies all those hops & intense fruitiness. The flavor starts off just as fruity with a solid caramel maltiness with hints of brown sugar, hot caramel apple, buttered rum, toffee/treacle, etc... with a very slight astringent nuttiness (e.g. Brazil nut). A moderate-marked bitterness helps to solidify this chewy full-bodied barley & hop monster. The ever present alcohol and citrusy hops create a big, bang finish. This is an aggressive, massive "hopspectacular" American-style barleywine that is sure to please a seasoned beer connoisseur, but definitely NOT a beer for the uninitiated. I recommend sharing this Blonde Behemoth beauty with your friends, because handling her wholly could cause a hernia or at the very least temporary blindness. To be forewarned is to be forearmed! Buy, cellar & horde as much as you can find. Here's to the Blonde Behemoth from Munster...

CHEERS! Beertracker

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to my buddy Taylor for hooking me up with this brew.

2008 vintage

Pours a copper colored body with amber highlights. foamy ivory colored head with good retention.

The smell is that of boozey fruit -cherries mostly, citrus hops, honey and pinesol.

The taste follows the noses lead. Very sweet throughout with noticable alcohol. the bottle is about a year old now and the hops are there but only as a supporting role. this is one sweet and boozey ride!

The body is full and the feel is slick and syrupy.

Drinkability gets knocked a notch only for such a high ABV. other than that this is a fine crafted American BW.

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

Wax sealed 22oz. bottled poured into a tulip glass. No bottled date found. I am guessing that this is a 2009 vintage. . .

(A)- Pours a thick and cloudy reddish amber color that produced a 1-finger sized off-white to yellow head that is fairly thick and is sticking around for awhile. Tiny bits of lacing present.

(S)- Dry yet massively malty caramel, butterscotch, honey, and toffee.

(T)- Crazily dry hops up front that disappear within seconds into layers upon layers of malty goodness. Caramel, honey, butterscotch, brown sugar, and toffee just for a start. Its even lightly floral with a delicate lemon citrus on the finish. Superbly complex yet bold and sweet.

(M)- Great carbonation level amidst this malt monster. The hops are really potent, but are overshadowed by how symphonic the malts & barley are. In the end, this creates a harmonious balance and complexity together. The alcohol is definitely present, but integrated very well.

(D)- A superb to fantastic barleywine that fits the style perfectly. Perhaps one of the best I have tasted? Malty as hell, but supplements it with massive hop and alcohol parts creating a very dynamic beer for sure!
A definite sipper though; a 22oz. will kick you to the floor! If it werent for the abv, drinking this would not be hard at all. In fact, I was surprised when I polished it off in less than an hour; its that good.
I suspect that this would/could age incredibly well! I plan to get my hands on some more of this! **update** In my opinion, this does not age well at all; best consumed fresh!

4.52/5  rDev +7.6%

Shared at Lava Lounge, thanks to hero27. Beer pours a very deep ruby red as described on the bottle, excellant lacing. This is very hoppy as you might expect from an American barley wine, but there is a strong pineapple aroma as well as plum and dark fruits. Taste is much like the aroma with a strong hop and pineapple presence paired with a nice bit of alcohol warmth. Did I say this is hoppy? Mouthfeel is very smooth. Drinkable, yes, but limit how much you have. I would definately like to see this beer after a year or two of aging, can't wait to see what else is in store for this, enjoy.

Behemoth Blonde Barleywine from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.