Arctic Panzer Wolf | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A massive IPA that will leave your palate its hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy.

Added by paco1029384756 on 09-10-2009

Reviews: 719 | Ratings: 3,523
4.39/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bomber into a pint glass

Ap- pale dull yellow and hazy. 1/2 in of foamy head that lasts pretty well.

Ar- grapefruit, citrus, pine, honey and lemons

T- grapefruit and pine with abundant hop oils. This is a crisp beer, I also taste some grass and apricot.

M- good carbonation, medium bodied and dry. The hop oils do a good job of wrecking my oral cavity.

O- This is one great DIPA. It is crisp and well hopped. A perfect example of a DIPA for my taste buds. Now only if FFF was here in MN...

4.17/5  rDev -0.2%

Picked this up in Chicago on one of my journeys.

A: Poured a fluffy one finger head that settled to a small island of foam in the middle. Some streams of carbonation can be seen rising to the top. Color is a tangerine orange. Some sediment can be seen floating around the glass. Lacing and retention appear to be on the lighter side.

S: Citrus, vanilla, grapefruit, floral. Really balanced for this style. Light and airy.

T: Tangerine, lemon wedge, and HOP POWER. My palate is dominated by hops almost to the point of cringing from the bitterness. Some butterscotch, pine cone, and fresh cut grass round out the flavor. The boozy burn hits at the end to finish me off.

M: About perfect. Just enough carbonation and stickiness to keep the party going.

O: Cracked this one open to celebrate a new chapter in life for a sibling. Cheers!

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: hazy unfiltered gold with thick lacing on top.

Smell: Beautiful floral hop aroma.

Taste: Peanuts, caramel, floral/citrus hops. Nice and light body for a 9% DIPA. Ends in a sort of salty-malt flavor.

Drinkability: Not overly malty or thick. Maintains a nice balance between hops, bitterness, and malt.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 22oz

A- pours a muddy honey color.... thick white head...dissolves to nothing bit puddle over the beer.... slight lacing to the glass

S- huge whiffs of pine sap, grapefruit. Grassey highlights.... faint bready malts lingering in the back...

T- big smack of sapp, slight fruityness... bready malts for slight structure. Something in the back which I'm having a hell of a time pin pointing

M- medium bodied... slightly creamy mouth feel... huge bitter pressence, ... lingering on and on and on...

O- another pleasing offer from three floyds.... just keep shooting them off my bucket list

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bomber dated 5/5/14 poured into teku

A: an electric, radiant golden orange; looks great

S: lots of sticky pine resin; candied tropical citrus peel; mangos, pineapple, and apricots; the aromas are off-the-wall intense and incredible. I wanna drink that smell

T: i got more of the tropical fruits than citrus upfront, followed by a nice light sweetness, and ending with a crisp, refreshing shot of dry bitterness; the 100 ibus are all over the place; the taste was little disappointing only because of how great the nose is

M: lightly syrupy on the tongue, but nice carbonation keeps things nice and refreshing

O: it's scary how crushable this beer is; the ABV is completely hidden. Fantastic aroma, nice mouthfeel, and great flavor.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from 22 oz. bomber into a wine glass (I was in a hotel at the time, so glass options were limited...)

A - First off, what a magnificent haze to this beer! The body is a radiant golden orange color reminiscent of wildflower honey or a sunset. The head is thin and white.

S - Musky tropical melon and white grapes sneak in with a wave of ripe orange.

T - Ripe tangerine, cantaloupe, musky tropical fruit, and spice. A flavor to behold.

M - For the ABV, refreshingly medium bodied. A lively carbonation lifts up a fairly dry finish.

O - Such a fantastic beer - a true standout from 3 Floyds. The ripeness of the hop flavors and the buoyancy of the light mouthfeel makes this beer stand out from the ever-growing pack of DIPAs.

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Bomber poured into New Belgium globe.

A- Pours a radiant, hazy orange. Two fingers of sticky, structured head.

S- A complete citrus/fruity hop bomb. Grapefruit, pineapple, some lemon. A little bit of bite/sweetness from the alcohol.

T- Tons of fruit. Grapefruit. Some mango. Some pineapple. A mice malt backbone to support it all.

O- Heavy side of medium.

M- Another fantastic IIPA from Three Floyds. This isn't up to par with Dreadnaught, IMO, but not many are. If you have a chance to grab a fresh one of these, do it.

4.39/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

IMHO this is FFFs most West Coast like style DIPA. Very bitter very hopy. Not the normal citrus/tropical notes from most their IPA/DIPAS. Very nice beer though

4.09/5  rDev -2.2%

On draft at the brewery. It's damn good, but it ain't Dreadnaught. Appearance is the weakest part; a little light for a double, but I think it's part of its seasonal shtick. Smells fantastic; it's this beer's best attribute. Taste and mouthfeel are both good. They may have been rated higher, but I'm comparing it to Dreadnaught, which probably isn't fair. Overall, a good seasonal variety worth trying.

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to Westlake liquors for sending this.

A - Pours a light straw yellow to orange colored with bright white head that fades pretty quickly.

S - Piney, floral, citrus hops.

T - Bready malts up front followed by a wave of bitter hops that seem to linger for an eternity. Very dry finish. This one really pulls out every tastebud and sucks you dry.

M - Medium and very dry.

O - Wow, this one just lingers and lingers with the hop bite and dryness. I have never had such a dry DIPA. Not a beer I'd want to be stuck on a desert island with but another solid brew from FFF.

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber into Duvel tulip

A - pours a hazy medium yellow with one finger of white head. Foam has medium sized loose bubbles and looks great. Decent lacing as it recedes fairly fast.

S - citrus, grapefruit, some tropical notes. lovely smelling beer, as is the FFF standard.

T - wow. nose comes through in the taste just as expected but stronger. sweetness up front but hops take over in the middle and carry it through to the bitter end (sorry). just a great tasting DIPA.

M - medium to heavy. sticky but desirable in this brew. sits on the palate as it assaults it too. Definitely a full bodied beer.

O - FFF seldom disappoints and often hits a Homerun...APW is certainly in the latter category. This is a top notch DIPA, maybe not the best but certainly worth mentioning. I didnt think it would be possible but I prefer it over Dreadnaught to be perfectly honest. Great beer.

3.49/5  rDev -16.5%

Dreadnaught Jr.? I don't really know as I've only had Dreadnaught once. The head was pitiful after a vigorous pour and retreated quickly, hence the below avg. score on that. Nice color though, orange with gold, rather light. The aroma was nice, but not too powerful, nice fruity sweetness, a little too much wintergreen.
It tasted... good. Pine, orange, grapefruit, blah blah blah. So, right, it's a double IPA. Hints of sour fruit and minerals. Not enough malt presence; bitter just for the sake of bitter is a little obnoxious, and I'm tired of trying new hop assaults with no clear character that offer the same damn thing over and over. Not that this is a bad beer, I could (and would) session this if it was lower abv. But it wouldn't be my first choice.

Edit: Not quite there on the mouthfeel, but close. Overall, this reminds me of a dumbed down version of Moylan's Doublander and Maharaja.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Picked this one as an extra when I stopped at 3 floyds for a case of gumballhead on a recent trip north to visit family, and so glad I did. It's not often I get my hands on one of 3 floyds' limited releases because they're swooped up in no time. Anyway, onto the review...

Appearance -- As others have said before me, this is a very cloudy beer, tangerine like in color. Some head after an aggressive pour into my Duvel tulip, but the head dissipates rather quickly after a couple swigs of this fine concoction.

Smell -- Some have compared the smell to Dreadnaught. I find it smells like no other 3 floyds brew. Somewhat fruity, not as hopped up as I would assume an imperial india pale might be. To me, it smells like a cousin of Bell's Hopslam, with a honey undertone to the hoppy goodness.

Taste/Mouthful -- Here's where 3 floyds knocks this one out of the park. Maybe because it's still relatively fresh, maybe just because this is a superbly put together brew. I'm pairing this with a Jack's pizza after work and I cannot wait for the pizza to cook. This is my favorite 3 floyds beer to date. What an intense mouthful, a whirlwind of flavors going on in my mouth and I'm sorry I only picked up one of these gems to enjoy.

Drinkability -- I don't know if I could put away more than two of these in one sitting but it'd be worth a try. Great job 3 floyds!! Definitely my favorite craft brewer. Love your Gumballhead, Robert the Bruce, Dreadnaught. . . but this one blows them all away.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

thanks to coppcw08 for this bottle in trade...

poured from bomber into tulip:

A: A great looking IIPA...dark orange, dankness envelops this beer. A nasty looking brew...in a most excellent way.

S: The aroma coming off this brew is bright citrus hops, a lot of pineapple and a slight sweet fruit smell. Great aroma that invites you for a taste...

T: Bright hops right off the bat followed by a fruity, malty sweetness. This beer punches you in the mouth then gives you a happy malt finish. I love how balanced this beer is at 100 IBU's...a little alcohol astringency but the finish mellows out and lingers beautifully...

M: So creamy and silky...I love a great IIPA with a honey, enveloping mouthfeel and this one is spot on. As it warms it only gets better...Honestly I was swishing this beer around in my mouth as it warmed and enjoying it's great creamy texture.

O: A great IIPA that I'm very glad to have had the chance to sample. Well I put down a whole bomber so not really a sample but I would gladly trade for this one again. A very worthy beer and I'm looking forward to trying more FFF offerings in the future...

4.22/5  rDev +1%

Bomber received in a surprise box from abbdull..thanks Andy, very cool of you for sure.

Poured into my dfh snifter glass. Appearance is a light orange, copper color. Smell is big time orange and apricot..FFF really never disappoints in this area. Their dipa's always smell fantastic. Taste is similar to smell but not as strong which was a slight disappointment. Very bitter beer which I like a lot. Nice mouth feel, not too thin and not syrupy at all. Very drinkable and no hint of the 9% abv what so ever. I liked this beer and wouldn't mind snagging another bomber or if available to me. Recommended for sure.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

Had this on draft at the Cock and Bull in Covington.

A- nice dark gold look with a solid white cap. Frothy lacing hugs the side of the tulip glass it was served in.

S-cant really smell much. Slight citrus with some bitterness.

T- oranges and pears that are immediately followed by a big hop blast. Finish reminds me of a Nice smooth Bourbon almost.

M- this is the epitome of double ipas. Medium bodied with nice coating That makes for a good refreshing brew. Perfect carbonation. I wish all double ipas had this feel.

D- really nice and refreshing. Great flavor. These two factors make it dangerous but very awesome.

Great beer that is right on par with the rest of their lineup.

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a golden hazy orange with a few botches of bright white head.

Tropical citrus and some fresh pine.  Mangos and pineapple.

First thing I get is the aforementioned tropical fruit.  But, this is quickly taken over by piney, resiney, hop oil.  There's also bitter lemon zest.  Extremely piney and bitter, sucking on a hop cone here... Not what I expected from the nose.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and well carbonated.

Nice DIPA with huge hop bitterness, worth checking out.

4.43/5  rDev +6%

3 Floyds' Description: A dry and stupendously hopped medium bodied imperial - IPA brewed with Canadian 2-Row malt, dextrose sugar and lot of American hops. Arctic Panzer Wolf has superior aromas of Marmalade, white wine, pine and apricot all mixed with an intense American hop bitterness.

Not sure how old my bottle is but it was the last one on the shelf.

I poured it into a tulip glass and it had a very nice white head with very little lacing.

It has the appearance of Apricot Juice that I found very pleasing.

It has a wonderful smell. I picked up the Marmalade, white wine and apricot but could pick out the pine.

I wish I got this fresh so there would be more hop taste but what remains is good, not great, and the malt doesn't overpower the hops. At 9% ABV I didn't pick up any offensive alcohol taste, which is a plus.

It feels very smooth in the mount with a dry & slightly bitter finish.

All in all this is a very drinkable beer. Probably a good thing I only had one or I would probably go for another one which would make for a rough morning.

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks rfraga77 for the bottle, great trading with you!

22 oz. Bottle split between two wine glasses.

A: orange, decent clarity, half finger white head, good lacing.

N: grapefruit. Bright hoppiness, some zesty citrus with decent maltiness in background.

T: bitter citrus hops predominate, some alcohol, get some faint watermelon, finish is malty sweet.

M: crisp, good carbonation, no issues here.

O: very approachable for a DIPA, nice malt balance, not overly alcoholly, definitely recommend.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

1" white head on a gold, slightly hazy body
Reeks of hops,some pineapple and grapefruit and a bit of floral too. While the scent is a bit mixed, it's pretty aromatic

Taste...Hop bomb in the mouth. Very intensive hop flavors,yet the malts do manage a moment before the hops take over. Fruity,with more pineapple than any of the other hop tastes,but there's a little pine sap, grapefruit and whatever as the folks at FFF seemed to load it up.

Not sure what I paid but I know it ain't cheap. It is a beer worth having now and then, irregardless. I had a bomber of Hop Stoopid recently, wish I'd saved that for a direct compare. In any case, among the better DIPA's. I expect a DIPA to bring big hops, and this does. Super Juice, Dark Horse's " Quad IPA" does "out-hop" this but few other beers do.

Mouth shows enough malt to give good body to the Wolf and temper the hop overkill. The aftertaste party fades fast yet there is a little bitter linger that lasts awhile.

ABV limits the drinkability (as does the $) but it's a beer you may want to drink till you run out or fall over. Solid hop bomb.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

Consumed 11/18/10 fresh shipment, so I don't have to worry about no bottling date.

Poured into Sam Adams perfect pint glass

A: My favorite DIPA color. Hazy, sunshine yellow. Super bright and cheerful, little do I know what waits under the surface. A thick, frothy off-white head hugs the inside of the glass, leaving a sticky mess upon finishing.

S: I could smell hops when I opened the bottle, and when I poured it into my glass. A barrage of peaches, white grapes, oranges, and juicy grapefruit smack your olfactory nerves. Resin and pine sit in the background, and a tiny sweet whiff of malt is hiding under the bleachers in this heavy hitter hop game.

T: Sticky, resinous hops kick you to the ground and make you feel insignificant, but then a sugar cookie malt finish picks you up and soothes you, only to drop you on your head again on the next sip. Massive grapefruit and lemon chunks abound. Beautiful.

F: Medium, and a bit oily on the tongue, but hops kick in for a dry, bitter, lingering finish.

D: Undeniable palate wrecker, but I'm a masochist for this sweet punishment. I will get another bomber before they're gone.

4.34/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A- A bit hazy golden straw color. Small 1 finger head. Some patchy lacing.

S- Awesome strong piney citrusy hop aroma. Not overdone but very bold. Hints of light fruits like grapefruit and pear.

T&M- Tingly carbonation with a creamy mouthfeel. A hop assault. Lots of hop but its not really strong in the piney part. Great balance of citrus, grapefruit, pear, and white grapes throughout all while the big hop profile is clashing on the tongue. Finishes bitter and very pleasant. Borders the line of almost puckering, but just doesn't get there.

O- Another very well balanced beer by Three Floyds. Man, they got this IPA thing down. Definitely need more.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

I has this both on tap at 3F and from a growler to go.

A: yellow/orange good clarity, inch of white head, good lacing.

N: grapefruit and tangerine, excellent nose.

T: strong citrus hops, sweet malt finish.

M: doesn't feel sticky, the appropriate amount of carbonation.

O: An excellent beer, you can't taste the ABV at all, one of the mainstay beers that makes 3F so great.

3.55/5  rDev -15.1%

22 oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip.

Beer pours a hazy light orange color with a thin white head that dissipates rather quickly leaving some soapy lace on the side of the glass. Smell is floral and sweet citrus hops with a bit of a bready/chalky smell on the backbone...more malt than I expected in the smell and almost smells like a lemon scone. The taste is a big smack of bitterness upfront that is very dry and mineral-like in taste. I pick up a slight medicinal quality before I get light malt and another smack of hop bitterness. Not much else in the taste but straight bittering hops. Finishes relatively heavy and warms as it goes down. Not very drinkable due to the huge bitterness. I think this is what they were going for, but only the most serious hopheads need apply. One of the lesser 3 Floyds IPAs in my opinion. Would take Dreadnaught every time over this.

4.18/5  rDev 0%

Pours a hazy golden orange with a thin white colored head that dissipates quickly.

Smell is nothing too overwhelming. Light hints of citrus...grapefruit and mango. A sweet caramel smelling backbone.

Taste has the juicy citrus notes that were present in the nose, but there are some floral notes mixed in also. Finishes slightly dry with some maltiness and piney hop notes.

Mouth feel is smooth with moderate levels of carbonation. This beer is insanely drinkable...every sip left me wanting another.

Arctic Panzer Wolf from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.