Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Arctic Panzer Wolf | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf
4.26/5
Outstanding
Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A massive IPA that will leave your palate its hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy.

Added by paco1029384756 on 09-10-2009

3.75/5  rDev -12%

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

3.08/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

"Imperial India Pale Ale." Less than three weeks old. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with interesting label and art and distinctive colorful branded pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Acquired in a trade with the very gracious tcman128 - thanks again, buddy! Expectations are quite high given the brewery and its reputation.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a four finger beige colour head of nice soft complexion, good thickness, nice cream, slightly frothy consistency, and good (~4-5 minute) retention for the high ABV. Sticky consistent even lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Body colour is a transparent yellow-copper. Vibrant. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Spot-on for the style. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Floral hops are dominant, with some accompanying light grapefruit and soapy hop character; this may have spent too long in primary. Pale malts. Caramel is a bit too present. Some piney hop character. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Tangerine. Mango, pineapple, other tropical fruit hop esters. Not ideal choices of hops for my particular tastes, but decent for the style. Clean and pleasant. An average strength aroma.

T: Mango, pineapple, tangerine - all tropical fruit hop esters, and not to my tastes for the style. Too sweet, with a caramel malt undertone. Light grapefruit. Hop bitterness does come through, compromising the balance. Clean. Not a fan of the sticky malty aspect blended with the sweet fruity notes. The pineapple in particular really kills the flavour profile for me; I'm not liking the hop choices made here but I can see where others with different tastes would really enjoy this. Pine. Light bready malts. Old orange juice comes to mind. I'm really just not big on this type of hop character.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Good thickness. Overcarbonated. Sticky. Chewy. Suits the flavour profile decently. Clean. Decent presence on the palate. Sugary. Good body.

Dr: This one just wasn't for me personally, but I don't doubt that it's brewed well. It's largely redolent of old orange juice mixed with tropical fruit notes that don't at all appeal to me - whether in an imperial IPA or not. I didn't find it well-balanced and I won't be having it again, but it does hide its ABV well and I'll happily finish this bottle by myself. Glad to have tried it, but it's just not suited for my personal tastes. Disappointed in the beer, but not for any issues with the quality of the brewing. Looking forward to trying more Three Floyds' IPAs which are hopefully more what I'm after in an imperial IPA.

C

***
Rating from notes taken Zwanze Day 2014:

Low B- / WORTHY

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Arctic Panzer Wolf from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.26 out of 5 with 3,568 ratings