Arctic Panzer Wolf | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A massive IPA that will leave your palate its hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy.

Added by paco1029384756 on 09-10-2009

Ratings: 3,559 |  Reviews: 725

3.81/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Glad I got to try this during DLD at the brewery. It was refreshing to have this for only $5 after waiting over 3 hours in line! Poured into a 10oz plastic tumbler.

Pours a golden, pale amber color with a modest one finger of head that eventually fizzles out. In some ways, looks awfully like Belgian-style golden ales, especially with the extra cascade of bubbles that rises to the top of this. Impressive that the carbonation lasts this long, especially when considering the size of the tumbler and high ABV. This is definitely thickened overall, and I was even able to capture sight of some large alcohol legs on the walls of the cup. Definitely paler and far different in body than other DIPAs I've seen, but very wicked looking.

Contains an aroma that filled with a range of sweetened to bittered phenols, ranging from pineapples to dried citrus rinds. Goes in and out in both flavors, quite literally. At first there's the pineapple aroma combined with white grapes, apricots, and maybe sweetened apples, but eventually it's replaced by oranges, earthy lime notes, slight spices, and maybe some some candi sugar? Definitely hard to keep track on all the flavors going on here, but it's definitely interesting. Almost ranges from being a cross between a DIPA and a tripel in some ways, although that would be a lazy analogy in contrasts of all the nuances. Alcohol is quite present as well, although I'm barely getting any other aspects to the beer other than some cracked, golden graininess, as well as slightly yeasty bready phenols. Not the most balanced aroma per se, but still packs a punch.

The flavor is quite different, however: rather than get too sweet or bitter on the palate, it turns out both sides of the spectrum meld quite well due to the thickened, near juicy body this beer holds. At first, there's an initial grainy sweetness, combined with pineapple and orange notes, which quickly get overtaken by a bittered, spicy, awfully zesty bitterness imparted by the hops. Doesn't really numb the palate completely, although it does get the initial fruity flavors and make them more vibrant. The malts are not too present in the flavor here, but they provide undeniable thickness that makes this easier to drink. The alcohol is actually not very present here, with no burn at all, and I downed this rather quickly in spite of all of the flavors and strong bittered presence. Almost vinous in character, too, although not as dry by comparison.

This is an intense yet solid offering from FFF. Can't say I loved it as much as their other stuff that I got to try, but it's a strong, full bodied hop-filled and fruity experience that should definitely be tried. At the price of $13 a bomber everywhere, it's debatable whether this is worth it, but fans of DIPAs and tripels must try this thing at least once, in my view.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Got a 22 oz growler of this filled and capped at Continential Liquors(Ashland, Ky.) poured into a stemmed like port glass.

A - Golden copper hue with the faintest of a dark yellowish orange hue. Head is white and lush at first. Somewhat quickly dissolves into an splotched frothy ring of lace. Some pretty good stick to the walls.

S - Big and twisted American hops. Fresh whole pine cone character with a touch of sweety fruitiness. Very floral hop aroma with some sweet malt in the background.

T - a real hop head flavor. Lots and lots of floral hoppiness of pine and semi grapefruit. Citrusy hop notes are present, but faint. Floral bitterness really bites the mouth. Sugary malt backbone balance the bite of the wolf quite nicely.

M - big and full. Maybe a bit thinner than it's brother, Dreadnaught in terms of liquid thickness, but it still coats the mouth like it should. It possesses a bigger bite or should I say, 'bites' than its fellow companion Dreadnaught as well. This is a massive flavored DIPA for the extreme hop lover. Don't drink APW if you don't like to be bitten.

O - I get the concept here from FFF. It's not replacing Dreadnaught as Dreadnaught is for me significantly better and tastier. It's not brought in to replace Apocalypse Cow as its not a seasonal. It's just a world class bunch of brewers saying hey we can make as Manu of these as we want to, we can make as many as we want and keep all of them world class, we can sell every one of them, and there isn't a damn thing you can do to compete with us. This rounds out a solid family of FFF and I'm a believer of these guys. Ill buy Dreadnaught every single time over panzer wolf and I'll always look for apocalypse cow in summer, but there are times when I drink up all the Dreadnaught before the next months delivery. What will I do? I'll buy this because it's a solid DIPA. I mean it's still good stuff. It's not Dreadnaught, but hey! It wasn't intended to be. It wasnt intended to be better than dready. It was crafted to give you a bite when you really need it. Hence the snarling wolf on the label. We will all drink our Dreadnaught, but we will need a bit more bite a few times of year.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

4.43/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber

A - golden. Pours a pretty large amount of white foam, 2.5 inches or so, sticks around for a good while. Medium to large amount of lacing.

S - Lots of citrus peel and some tropical fruit, mangoes mostly. Plenty of floral hops in the background.

T - Loads of bitter orange and sweeter tropical notes. As it warms up the malt shows up a little bit, very neutral with a sweetness to it. Lots of citrus, grapefruit and lemons in addition to the orange. There is also a good bit of peach and maybe apricot (which is mentioned on the label, so maybe thats just suggestion) Finishes with more bitter citrus.

M - really good. Medium thickness, light/medium carbonation.

O - a great IPA. For whatever reason, I want to dislike 3floyds, but its undeniable that their beers are great. You can see some of the bloodlines of zombie dust here, but really packs a bitterness whallop that ZD doesnt have. Overall, a great IPA.

3.45/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a beautiful cascading effervescent golden amber. White head and sticky lacing throughout.

The aroma is fantastic. Big tropical citrus (papaya, grapefruit, guava, mango) front and malt.

How do we go from such a tropical smelling quaff to the flavors of onion and garlic. Got the sweet malt and a piney bitterness going on.

Carbonation is low and bitterness lasts.

I'm not getting the high IBU count here. Took this on the advice that this is close to Zombie Dust...quite not true. Not seeing the hype here, matter of fact I'm disappointed. Now I know why this is always on the shelves throughout Chicagoland. Dreadnaught is better at a lower price. This is not a juicy grapefruit, but rather a pine cone bomb in an onion patch. One good thing though--it is drinkable. This reminds me of Stone's Enjoy By brews. I will not be buying this in the future.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

Arctic Panzer Wolf from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.