Arctic Panzer Wolf | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf
4.26/5
Outstanding
Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A massive IPA that will leave your palate its hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy.

Added by paco1029384756 on 09-10-2009

#745

Ratings: 3,581 |  Reviews: 727

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Just was getting a bag ready for a different trip and dug out some notes from a trip a few months ago to Milwaukee.

Arctic Panzer enjoyed on-tap, served in a goblet. The appearance is amber, golden notes with a small white head. Its` nose has citrus, malts and a nice sweetness to it. A good amount of hops, but certainly nothing overboard. Mouthfeel is towards heavy, bitterness in the finish. It is a pleasant aftertaste, though one that I found was helpful to have bread nearby to enjoy with. A very good DIPA from FFF.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

This was my first imperial, since this imperial I have had a few and this one will definitely kill your taste buds with hops!!

A: The beer pours, what I would consider a little light for being an imperial IPA, it almost looks like an APA to me. But color doesn't mean too much as I have noticed with more beers I have had. The head is not too big considering its ABV.

S: Right away, the hops slap you almost melting your nose hairs right out. Extreme citrus, some grapefruit. Very piney and quite bitter even on the nose.

T: Hops, hops, hops and more hops!! Tons of hop bitterness, very piney, extreme citrus and it finishes very resiny. Definite pallet ruiner. Excellent for a hophead.

M: Medium-bodied, definitely a sipper.

O: Overall, this is a very good imperial. I was more than impressed with it. It was a little pricey, about 10.99 for a 24 oz bottle from the local beer store, but it is worth it.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

22 oz bomber poured into nonic pint glass

A: bright but hazy dark gold to orange in color, color is very vibrant, head is like a down blanket and clings to the glass like a soapy car wash

S: smells like hoppy fruit juice, tropical fruits galore, like all high abv beers, as it warms the alcohol comes out

T: 3 Floyds just has their hoppy beers down pat, it's a good balance of juicy fruit and pine hop flavor and tongue tingling bitterness, personally I don't taste any malt flavor, but I know it must be in the background because this beer is perfectly balanced, by that I don't mean 50/50 hops and malt, I mean that I get the hops that I expect in a big IPA but it doesn't overwhelm

M: one thing that pus me off of some DIPA's is that they feel sticky and heavy, this one does not, it doesn't accomplish this by being overly carbonated, which isn't good either, the attenuation was just perfectly designed/monitored

O: I've been really building this beer up and don't get me wrong, it is an amazing beer, however I feel like it fills the void between an IPA and a DIPA, 3 years ago this would be an awesome DIPA, but now with so many newcomers that are bigger, stronger, and just loaded with flavor this comes off as a hoppy somewhat-one dimensional very strong IPA...but that one dimension it has is amazing

22oz bottle poured into a snifter
no born on date but I believe this was picked up from the brewery approximately 3 weeks ago.

Thanks to Hopsmatt for sending this one over in a trade.

A: Pours a hazy apricot orange with 1.5 fingers width of sea foam white colored head which dissipates down at a fairly slow rate.  Leaves small patches of spotty lacing.

S:  Lots of tropical fruit sweetness, with mango, apricot, and overripe banana.  A slight resinous aroma, and some booze, a significant tart characteristic is noted at one point.  Aroma is very unique for the style.

T: Flavor is different from the aroma.  Resinous notes and big piney bitterness are the main players here, along with a significant sweet component that is quite unique and I cant even place.   The banana characters from the nose come out as well, which I don't think Ive ever picked up in a DIPA before.  Some grassy notes, and a fair amount of booze.  Interesting palate profile here.

M/D: Carbonation is one the higher side of the spectrum, which I personally dont like, but it settles down as it warms.  On the fuller side of medium bodied with a somewhat syrupy mouthfeel.  ABV is kept in check very well and drinkability is very good.

O:  Id say the best thing about this beer is how unique it is for the style, especially  the aroma and to a certain degree  the flavor as well.  Overall though, in a style that procudes a lot of home runs, this one is pretty middle of the road in my book, but I give it bonus points for its unique qualities.  I am glad I was able to try this, but in the future if I make an effort to obtain a FFF DIPA its most certainly going to be Dreadnaught.  Definitely worth trying though, if you are a fan of the style.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

Picked this up in Chicago on one of my journeys.

A: Poured a fluffy one finger head that settled to a small island of foam in the middle. Some streams of carbonation can be seen rising to the top. Color is a tangerine orange. Some sediment can be seen floating around the glass. Lacing and retention appear to be on the lighter side.

S: Citrus, vanilla, grapefruit, floral. Really balanced for this style. Light and airy.

T: Tangerine, lemon wedge, and HOP POWER. My palate is dominated by hops almost to the point of cringing from the bitterness. Some butterscotch, pine cone, and fresh cut grass round out the flavor. The boozy burn hits at the end to finish me off.

M: About perfect. Just enough carbonation and stickiness to keep the party going.

O: Cracked this one open to celebrate a new chapter in life for a sibling. Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Arctic Panzer Wolf from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.26 out of 5 with 3,581 ratings