Arctic Panzer Wolf | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Arctic Panzer WolfArctic Panzer Wolf

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A massive IPA that will leave your palate its hapless victim. Scorched earth is our brewery policy.

Added by paco1029384756 on 09-10-2009

Reviews: 718 | Ratings: 3,518
3.82/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

11 oz. pour into a tall glass from a bomber courtesy of glazeman during game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final. i've been looking forward to this beer for a while, wondering how it compares to dreadnaught ipa.

A - yellow, very light colored for a DIPA. 1-2 finger head with excellent retention and some lacing.

S - citrus and piney hops, with the piney hops dominating. orange, lemon, and tangerine as well.

T - very similar to the smell, with lemon and bitter, piney hops overpowering. very little malt backbone.

M - a bit more thin than i was hoping it would be. not much here with regards to mouthfeel.

D - drinkable beer, especially on a warm summer day - it would be perfect for an outdoor bbq. plenty of carbonation, but maybe a little too much because this brew is not sticky or malty enough to hide the 9% abv.

overall, this is a very good beer. however, the overpowering lemon citrus flavor and thin mouthfeel are no match for FFF's other DIPA, dreadnaught. i would definitely drink arctic panzer wolf again, but if given a choice, i would prefer a dreadnught.

3.17/5  rDev -24.2%

A- Pours a hazy ornage-yellow with a nice pillowy off-white head with good retention, leaves some spotty lacing around the glass.

S- mainly citrus and herbal hops, a little weak for my taste though. some caramel malt comes through as well to balance everything out. there was something that did seem a little off on the nose though, couldn't quite pick up exactly what it was though.

T- similar to the nose. a little more intense on the hops. same caramel sweet maltiness coming through at points. but still that weird flavor that i can't quite pick up on what it is exactly. threw me off of this beer a bit.

M/D- medium-light bodied. good carbonation. cannot pick up on the alcohol in here at all. very good drinking beer, minus that weird characteristic.

3.64/5  rDev -12.9%

On tap @ Lunar

A- slightly hazy golden with no head and no lacing

S- citrus and pine hop. Not much else

T- same as nose, but with the slightest malt sweetness

M- medium body w/ nice carbonation

D- 9oz pour is enough. great beer, but pretty unbalanced

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a tulip glass. This brew pours a lot more yellow than I would have ever guessed. A nice 1" white frothy head settles nicely and laces the glass beautifully. Smells good, lots of piney flavor, and a touch of orange rind citrus smell. I definitely get the marmalade flavor in the taste. This is a medium bodied ale with mild carbonation. Just another terrific beer from 3 Floyds. Every time I have one of their beers, it makes me wish I was back in Munster.

4.31/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to a buddy for a recent 3F shipment

A: Hazy pour into a tulip with perfect carbonation. One inch head.

S: Huge grapefruit notes upfront

T: Goes down very easy. Crisp and sharp on the tongue but the bitterness is not overwhelming and completely mutes the alcohol. Predominantly citrus/grapefruit/piney. I don't get a lot of the tropical fruit notes others get. 9%--no way. Just enough malt.

O: I was worried this was going to be an over-the-top one-dimensional hop bomb after enjoying Dreadnaught--what could to that one? Although heretical, on a side by side, I liked it better than its better known brother. Pushes the edge and stops just right. Three more just arrived. Cheers

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a Bomber. Great thick head and the color was lighter than most of the DIPA's I drink. The smell of hops hit me hard which is unusual for me. I don't usually get a strong smell from any beers...too many cigars maybe?

Anyway, I am a big fan of TF Zombie Dust and Dreadnaught. The was a great DIPA, but I prefer those two over this. The hoppy flavor was great, but I am I don't detect the strong citrus flavors that many here discuss. There were subtle...which is a nice change of pace for me

So far I am 4 for 5 on Three Floyd products. The three mentioned here plus Robert the Bruce are all outstanding. Only Alpha King disappointed me. Probably because I have totally changed my palate the last few years. I will definitely buy this again when I see it. IF I see it.

3.97/5  rDev -5%

I had this the other day over at FFF on tap. It's a very expensive pale ale ($7 a snifter). I had to try it since I make it a point to always try something new when I'm there. It had a nice, hoppyness to it, typical piney smell. Good golden color, Three Floyds did not let anyone down here. It's got that kick in the ass that all their beers have, not for the weak of heart! While I enjoyed this immensely, I would not get it again when their Dreadnaught IPA is always on tap for $2 less. Honestly, the Dreadnaught is stronger and has much more hoppy bang for the buck than this.

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

22oz bottle purchased locally (despite our distributor being certifiably retarded). Served in a 3F Nonic Pint Glass.

A: Pours a very pleasing orange yellow. Very small amount of white head on the first pour that goes quickly. 2nd pour leaves a much more substantial, white fluffy head. Lacing is good, but not great.

S: Nice combo of juicy, piney hops and tropical fruit. Some slight sweetness from the malt/lactose sugar.

T: Raw, fresh hops with a nice complementing sweetness. Like the nose, there's some strong topical fruit flavors like pineapple, apricot and oranges. Then the piney bitterness kicks in at the end, but it's not overwhelming and finishes nice and smooth. Fantastic!

M: This is the perfect mouthfeel for a big, hearty DIPA. Medium bodied, with a nice viscosity to it. The carbonation is ample enough to not let it get sticky and overbearing. Overall very smooth and pleasing.

D: 9% DIPA's don't get much more accessible than this. Not a trace of booze, and the bitterness didn't really wear on the palate. 22oz was a nice serving, but I couldn't help but want more when my glass was empty.

A real winner from 3F's. I enjoy this a lot more than I do any of their other big, hoppy brews. Hopefully this will be produced in greater numbers later this year/next year. Track it down if you can!

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

22 oz bomber into a duvel tulip. Pours a hazy orange yellow with a 2 inch thick white head that shrinks to a finger with nice laxing. Aroma is strong pine with a light breadiness. Flavor is pine resin, some tropical fruit, grapefruit, and a mild bready caramel malt. Mouthfeel is medium to thick, sticky and dry. One of my favorite dipa's.

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- a clean, deep straw colored pour with the slightest bit of hazyness. Little to no head and a decent portion of sticky lacing. Looks like a DIPA.

S-very pungent hop aromas are present. A little bit of smashed orange, some dank green herbs, and maybe a little bit of pepper. Id guess simcoe and columbus hops here with mix of citrus and strange dank aromatics. Little bit of sweet malt and alcohol on the nose too. Very intriguing hop bouquet.

T- first taste is punishing hop flavor/bitterness. This is to be expected. Tastes of oranges and pineapple as well as a little sage or other spice. Some sweet malt present in the middle but again, not much. Finish is alcohol. Really enjoyable hop forward flavors. Different than many double india pales as it mixes some varying resinous hop flavors that don't normally compliment eachother.

M-medium body with moderate carbonation. Sweet and sticky. That's about it. Just as expected. A little oily from the alcohol.

O- I like this DIPA. I don't love it though. It has everything you'd expect from the style with the pungent citrus and herb flavors with the warming finish. FFF makes some of the best hop-forward beers available and this ones no different. I think the abv could be a little more hidden and perhaps a touch more head to the beer, but that's me simply looking for faults in this good beer. I think id prefer their Dreadnaught more often than this though...

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Simply put, FFF puts out much better examples of IIPA's. Looks great in a glass, tastes just fine, nice mouth feel, well carb'd, but when there's other FFF IPA's to be had, this doesn't measure up.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Got this via trade from hayesez, thanks for the hook up!

A - Pours a cloudy straw or orangish color

S - Pretty strong, candied pineapple, orange and melon. Straw, hay and pine needles.

T - Candied pineapple, orange, grapefruit, melon other citrusy flavors. A bitter finish of pine needles, earthy straw and hay. A very nice melding of these flavors

M - Medium Bodied but fluffy at the same time

D - This beer is very good and even though its 9% I would like more.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

A. Pours a golden honey color, thick 6mm head with very nice lacing, fading to a thin bubbly ring of foam

S. Smells of sweet citrus, strongly of orange peel and pine, and a slight grape fruit.

T. Tastes of sweet and tart citrus, sweet orange and bitter fruit with a slightly sour finish.

M. Medium body, thich and mildly chewy for a DIPA, and highly carbonated.

O. A good overall DIPA, a little tart and bitter for what I normally like. Usually they are a bit smoother and fruitier, but this lives up to it's aggressive claim. Still a good beer, and different from the norm. I like it and would gladly have it again.

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

22oz Bomber into a New Belgium Globe

A: Pours a nice copper orange. Very nice white head with lots of sticky lacing.

S: Very floral with nice pine and huge bitterness.

T: Very bitter beer off the bat. Following the nose tons of pine and citrus notes. Very fresh and juicy hops.

M: Medium bodied with a slight presence of alcohol on the finish

O: A solid, but not great offering from 3 Floyds. Can't complain though as my local grocery store had this priced at $7.99. Clearly a mistake as it is $10 at the brewery but who am I to complain.

4.46/5  rDev +6.7%

A- 3.5 This beer isn't all that exciting in appearance. It is a clear light gold and has a minimal white head composed of medium sized bubbles. It does have smooth, uniform lacing and active bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass.

S- 5 Very nice, strong aroma that is a well-balanced blend of citrus (grapefruit, apricot), pine, white grapes, and hops. It is pungent and reminds me of herbs that I've smelled at rock concerts.

T- 4.5 The hop oils come through strongly as the brew coats my mouth, and a little bit of malt sweetness works its way in at the middle of the drink. That is followed by a dry, pine-like bitterness to finish. Altogether it is a little citrusy as are many of the style. Very well-rounded taste to this one, and its 9% ABV is well hidden.

M- 4.5 Near perfect feel; it's medium in body and there is nice carbonation. Just a little syrupy finish leaves me dry but wanting more to quench it.

D- 4 This is a really good imperial IPA. As I've mentioned before, I'm not the biggest hop-head (probably wouldn't have more than a bomber in a sitting), but the style is growing on me and I certainly appreciate it. This brew's aroma is excellent and has a well-balanced taste taboot. It is up there with the best of the style (that I've tried), and it's worth a shot if you can get your hands on it.

3.97/5  rDev -5%

New label APW. No best buy date! 3F's get with it. Poured into my duvel tulip at 50 degrees.

A: Moderate pour down the side of the glass yields two finger head. After about two minutes half finger head remains. This one is golden straw colored, pretty clear. 3.5

S: Smell is awesome. Strong hops, grapefruit, citrus, grass. 4.0

T: Very nice IIPA just the right amount of bitterness. Id like a little more pinch on this one but very tasty. No hint of the 9% alcohol in the taste. 4.0

M: Mouthfeel is oily and lightly carbonated. One sip leads to the next and I am left wanting more. 4.0

O: Overall this is a solid IIPA. I wish I knew the date on this one. I think it would be even better if it was freshly bottled. Unfortunately I will never know until 3F's decides to date their bottles. All in all a great offering from 3F's. 4.0

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%

From old review notes, drank sometime in May 2012, not sure about freshness.

A Light burnt orange, golden glow. White head dissipates to a to a ring. Persistent carbonation, big lacing.

S Big pungent tropical aromas- pineapple upside-down cake.

T Orange marmalade, orange peel, apricot meat. Light lingering bitterness.

M Crisp-drinking despite the formidable, initially sticky maltiness. Nice bitter pop at the end.

O Is it fresh? Must know. A very good DIPA but way sweeter and juicier than I usually go for.

Appearance is a golden translucent haze with a sheer white head. Poured Into my nitro milkstout release glass. Smell is that of grassy citrus hops and some breadlike quality. Taste is of citrissy and grassy hops. Mouthful is resinous but drinkable, bitter but not overly so. Overall a great example of a traditional, no frills dipa!

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Has a really nice hazy orange appearance with a bit of clarity. A decent amount of carbonation coming up the glass too.
Aromas of oranges marmalade, white grape, apricot and pine.
Tastes are pretty similar with the bitterness really asserting itself with the piney notes coming out.
The mouthfeel is medium-full with a strong lingering bitterness. The tastes do linger well also.
Overall a good dipa although not quite up to the standard of dreadnought and permanent funeral.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

A- golden amber in color,decent white head that leaves a considerable amount of lacing in its wake.

S - Aromas of grapefruit and pineapple dominate with a fair amount of resinous pine mixed in.

T - Thick with piney resin flavors backed by a generous amount of bready sweet malts and the flavor of grapefruit pith.

M - Medium in body, with a thick sticky finish

D - Where'd the glass go? Seriously delicious, what else can I say

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip.

Pours a hazy golden/orange color with about a finger of head.

Nose is very sweet and fruity. Citrusy hops come through: lots of grapefruit and orange zest. Sweet caramel malt backs it up.

Hops dominate at first. Bitter/sour grapefruit and big floral hops hit right away but it fades into a more subtle hop presense as the malt comes through (still pretty damn hoppy though). Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel is medium and somewhat sticky. Bitterness lingers for a bit, but not overwhelming. Carbonation is average.

Drinkability is high. A lot of flavor, well balanced, and little alcohol presence make for a very enjoyable beer.

4.66/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from bomber into my Stoudts pint glass. No freshness date (again, come ON 3Floyds!!!) However, pretty confident this is no more than 5 weeks in the bottle.

A: Pale yellow, a little cloudy - could be mistaken for an over-carbonated American Wheat. Tiny creamy eggshell white head. Spotty, uneven lacing. Looks entirely unremarkable.

S: The second the cap came off this monster the most incredible aroma graced my senses - huge pineapple, mango, and mildly resinous hop aromas. Could it be better than Dreadnaught? Maybe. It's at least as good.

T: I take it back. This is better than Dreadnaught, at least in terms of sheer hop flavor. Simply incredible. The biggest, juiciest, hoppiest-tasting beer I've ever had. Tropical fruits galore - pineapple and mango and papaya and a little piney resin. A mild malt sweetness is just enough to help balance the intense hop character. With the amount of hops in this beast, the bitterness is incredibly well-tamed. It's just enough to help cleanse the palate. ABV is completely hidden. This beer is so well constructed, it's almost scary. I think on the whole Dreadnaught edges this out by about half an inch - its maltiness is a little more pronounced to help balance its more intense bitterness. However, I can't really find anything wrong here. Delicious.

M: Rich and creamy with medium carbonation. Very oily and mouth-coating. Slightly puckering. Perfect.

O: Honestly the only thing holding this one back is its appearance - it just doesn't look anything like a DIPA. However, since I put way more stock in how a beer smells and tastes, it's a small hurdle to clear. This beer is incredible.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

My favorite DIPA from Three Floyds. Terrific body, crisp. Alcohol bite is a little more present here than in Dreadnaught, but the dose of hops in this helps smooth it back out. It doesn't pack the hop aroma that I get from, say, a Hopslam, but the flavor is all there. I've had this on-tap and in bottle, and both are very similar, with on-tap having a little better aroma (I'm thinking I served my own bottle a little colder than in the pub). A bit pricey at the liquor stores, but if you shop around and can get it for a good price, it's hard to beat.

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%

A - Hazy golden color with a thin white head that cleared very quickly.

S - hops, citrus (apricots and it seems like lemon), and pine. I really liked the smell of this.

T - hops of course. Just a hint of bitternes to begin with. Citrus and a nice dry finish. I think the ABV is rather hidden but not completely.

M - light carbonation. Light to medium body. A slight sweet stickyness due to the citrus.

O - A very nice beer. I'm not a huge fan of IPA's or DIPA's but this does very nice. It came highly recommended and I have to admit it does not disappoint.

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from bottle (Red label) into tulip. Pours a brilliant, translucent gold. Wonderful white head about a finger thick, disappears quickly, leaving a ring about the circumference. In the nose I pick up sweet melon, piney hops, grapefruit. On the tongue it is sweet, but quite bitter. Hops give a great snap, backed by the citrus. A bit of must from the yeast. But it matches. Mouthfeel is good, great carb and easy to drink. Overall, APW is a great brew, and will satisfy and craving for an IIPA

Arctic Panzer Wolf from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.