Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,497 | Ratings: 9,639
Reviews by KTeamLSU:
4.43/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass

A: Nice orangish yellow hue with frothy white head

S: Piney and resinous hops right off the bat, pretty aromatic

T: Solid hop presence gives good bitterness throughout

M: Good carbonation and dry finish makes me want to drink more

O: Great hopped up Pale Ale, worth the hype but better local brews with easy availability will steer me away from this.

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Hook up from Sir_Win in Indiana - thanks, man! Pours a hazy, copper, deep-amber color. Humongous off-white head starts boiling immediately, even with a delicate pour; lots of staying power and a ton of nice lacing.

The aroma of this beer, for lack of a better term, is fucking amazing. As soon as you open the bottle, a surge of fruit and hops jumps out at you. You dip your nose to the glass and it bum-rushes your nostrils like no other. JAM PACKED with all kinds of fruits; tangerines, oranges, grapefruits, papaya, pineapple. The description of the beer on the bottle is very accurate - this beer's aroma is GUSHING with citrus. It's incredible. The citrus is outlined with an incredible hop portrait; resinous, piney, oily, slightly floral and dank. Perfect aroma for a pale ale.

At this point, I'm just hoping that the smell doesn't get my hopes up so high only to be let down by the taste. It doesn't - this beer delivers, HARD. The hops are more up front in the taste than they were in the aroma, and it works perfectly. You're still getting the incredible citrus on the nose and the extra hops on the tongue - perfect harmony and synthesis of the senses. Bitter spikes and oily and resinous hops take over for a bit, mellowed out by the grapefruits, tangerines, pineapples, and mangoes in the background.

The hops round out a bit as the beer warms up, and the citrus flavors evolve even more. This beer is seriously insane, one of the best things I've ever tasted. Little malt and yeast on the very tail end. Not much, but really, when your hop profile is this amazing, it doesn't leave much of one to be desired. Just a phenomenal flavor and aroma profile that synthesize extraordinarily well. Medium body, medium-high carbonation, ever so slightly sticky.

Good lord. After I had a Pliny the Elder, I thought I'd never have another hop-forward beer better than it. I take that back. Pliny is damn good, but Zombie Dust is goddamn incredible. Literally, a PERFECT combo of bitter and sweet, hops and citrus, every sip blows my mind all over again. And that nose... my GOD that nose. Unbelievable. Whether you consider this a PA or an IPA doesn't matter - just know that it's an amazing beer. If I could get my hands on this easily, I would drink it all day, until the day I died. All hail the Citra hop, all hail motherfuckin' Zombie Dust.

EDIT: 4/3/2013

Finally received some more of this after putting it off for so long (thanks MCain04). I was afraid this time around that it wouldn't be as good. I was worried that maybe I had hyped it up to myself before and that I was overrating it big-time. I was scared that my palate had changed and Zombie Dust would no longer be the same sweet nectar I fell in love with the first time around. Luckily all of my worries were wiped away the second I cracked open the bottle, took a nice whiff and had another sip. This stuff is simply amazing. So perfectly balanced and so insanely drinkable. All things considered, this is still one of THE best beers out there, in my opinion.

4.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

September 8, 2014

12 oz bottle, weizen glass

A – Pours orange to light amber. Thick finger of head that sticks around for a long time. Mild haze, probably from being poured cold, mostly good clarity otherwise.

S – Lots of lemon and other citrus, a bit of fresh cut grass, grapefruit. A hop bomb. Some malty sweetness on the nose but balanced hard towards the hops. Some malt thickness.

T – Very malty and then the hops take over. Citrus and grapefruit melts into a perfectly bitter finish. A ton of hop bitterness but really well balanced with the malt.

M – Very malty, relatively full body, just a bit of acidity leading into the finish. Bitterness coats the tongue, balanced with malt sweetness. Not a palate wrecker despite smelling like it could be one.

O – Having had this before without evaluating properly, I was pleasantly surprised to remember how well balanced it is. There is a ton of hop flavor, aroma, and bitterness, but does not destroy your taste buds. The malt has a great presence as well and really works together with the hops to create a remarkable beer. Great example of the American Pale Ale style.

4.06/5  rDev -10.4%

Very good beer, but HIGHLY overrated. There are dozens of equally good IPA's, including better ones from 3 Floyds.

2.16/5  rDev -52.3%

Great beer!

But it is not an American Pale Ale. Too hoppy for style classification. Disqualified.

Really, people. Pay attention to style. Styles have meanings and characteristics for the purpose of judging. Three floyds calls this an APA when it is an IPA based on the IBU and other criteria. Judging this to be a 100 in the world of American Pale Ales is like saying the best type of apple in the world is a banana. If you don't pay attention to style parameters you shouldn't be judging any beers at all, because otherwise all we're doing here is telling the world what your OPINION is of a specific beer, and frankly, I don't care about your opinion if you can't even compare a beer against its supposed style guidelines.

4.42/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into a nonic a clear medium golden with a large fluffy white crown that settled very slowly into a frothy mass.A big shot of grapefruit hops hits ya in the nose along with some overripe tangerine,a sweetish biscuit malt is noticable as well.A healthy dose of citric hops over top of sweet biscuit on the palate,more fruity hops than bitter.A great pale ale,it has a huge dose of hops but it's actually a pretty rounded palate.

The best beer in the world.

4.71/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is a different animal on tap than it is from the bottle. On tap and fresh at the brewery it's one of the best IPAs (APA) I've ever had. Bright, citrusy and a nice hop bitterness. In the bottle, it's just not nearly as good even when fresh.

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

I have been saving myself to write my first review until I tried this beer. It has taken 5 years, but I finally have gotten my hands on this marvelous brew.

Poured from a bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: Pours a light amber color, not quite the right color for a pale ale, so this is my only knock on this beer. A one finger head dissipates as you drink it, but it leaves a little tracing on the glass

S: Grapefruit, hops, spice, and floral. Beautiful combination of beta acid hops stand out. As it warms, a slight sweetness takes over.

T: Juicy, the label had it right! There is a beautiful balance of malt and hops, slight herb, citrus, a bit of bread/yeast comes through as well. Slight bitterness as it finishes, but not a palate wrecker. Very crisp and refreshing.

M: Mild carbonation, coats your mouth, but doesn't linger like more hoppy beers.

O: This is my favorite new brew. I had read great things about this beer for 5 years, and have been waiting patiently to get my hands on it. Anytime anyone wants to trade this beer to me, I will not turn it down. What a great combination of hops and grain! I continue to be amazed as I drink this beer.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

First, a special thanks to my new beer bud Brad who went above and beyond to get this beer in my hands. Pours a slightly cloudy yellowish orange with a one-finger head. Aromas of citrus and grapefruit rind/pith. OK, this beer has been so hyped to me, it will be hard for it to live up to expectations but here goes. Damn, that is tasty! Lots of tropical flavors with citrus dominating. Not a ton of caramel malt taste which is a definite plus for me. Not overly bitter, and also contributing to the nice mouthfeel, not over-carbonated. And this is only an APA. I have had many IPAs that can't match the fresh hop flavor. Believe what you've heard...this is a GREAT Pale Ale!

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Zombie Dust is the beer to have in the Chicago area. Binny's the largest liquor store hear gets it on a certain day and it is gone within a few hours People wait in line ten fold for it the day it comes in. Some of the Binny's locations only allow you to get one beer, but most let you get only a six pack.

The lacing is rather nice. Smells of citrus hops, lemon, lime, orange. Not bitter for a IPA and well balanced. Pours a orange and smells of and tastes of citrus. I am not IPA fan but I find myself always wanting to have this beer on hand despite it being hard to get. Now have over a case as we went to the brewery yesterday and they were selling it like hotcakes out the door and gone in 1 day. Despite not loving IPA I think that this beer is one of the best beers I have ever had.

3.63/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Just not what I was hoping for.

3.75/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Our group of 4 Beer Advocate members did a recent small bottle tasting of high alcohol brews.
Among the 12 brews tasted was; Zombie Dust American Pale Ale from Three Floyds. Although
not a high alcohol beer, I had just bought it because it was rated number 6 on the BA site with
a BA score of 100. Sad to say this beer was a total disappointment finishing 10th with an average
rating of 3.75. It is possible that something was wrong with this bottle as it had no head to speak
of at all. I have another one to try, so hopefully it will live up to the reviews of other reviewers.

Well I tried the second bottle and still do not understand how Zombie Dust got the rave reviews. But this bottle did have a little more appeal than the first one, but not enough to change my rating.

I have been spoiled by two really outstanding IPA's here in Vermont; Alchemist's Heady Topper which is currently at number 1 on the BA site, and Lawson's Finest Liquids Double Sunshine, which
is currently at number 10 on the BA site. However I feel Double Sunshine should be number 1 and
Heady Topper number 2.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Served in a tapered FFF glass.

High clarity orange, slowly rising trails of carbonation. Creamy cap of dense foam, about a half inch at first that recedes after awhile, leaving concentric rings of lace. Skim across the top eventually breaks, but lasts for a bit.

Pungent citrus, grapefruit and tangerine, rich with citrus-heavy Citra hops.

Fruity hops hit first, more tangerine, sweet orange and grapefruit notes upfront. Resiny sticky hops linger into the pale malt middle, clean and a little grainy. Dry leafy green bitterness in the finish, hints of aspirin. Feel is relatively light, creamy and soft at first, drying out into the bitter finish. Good malty balance to the hefty dose of hoppage, approaching IPA territory for sure. Can't wait for the bottles, this is basically FFF's 1-up to local classic Daisy Cutter.

3.9/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I really want to rate this beer higher. Poured into frozen pint, bottled on 7/11 so I know freshness isn't an issue. Smell is fantastic , floral and fresh, west coast fragrance. Taste when it hits the tongue is same as smell but gives way to a belgian style flavor, not my style. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean and beer is super fresh tasting. I tried it twice to make sure it wasn't an off day, but it wasn't. I would drink again for sure, but I wouldn't seek it out, just not my style of PA/IPA

4.19/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It's time. The hype train has arrived in my neighborhood. Do I jump on or flip it off as it meanders on by?

Poured from a 12 oz bottle dated the day this review is being written. I had hoped to score a case that hadn't been bottled yet but you know how it is.

Pours a lightly hazy orange golden color with a 2-finger off-white head. When the head dissipates it leaves a nice fluffy crown around the beer. Not much lacing to speak of.

The aroma has a ton of orange and some mild grapefruit. Par for the course for Citra hopped ales. Not a knock, that's just how it is.

The taste, like the nose, is all citrus. Orange and grapefruit, maybe some tangerine. Finishes lightly bitter and piney.

The feel is medium bodied with moderately high carbonation. Just a slight lingering bitterness.

Overall, a great pale ale that doesn't quite meet the hype but honestly, who cares? It's a great beer with a great flavor. If citra is your thing then so will this beer be.

A - nice dark orange amber color white head sticks nice lacing
S - nice big orange zest, grapefruit, lemon lime
T - pops even more so.than the smell, orange zest, grapefruit, lemon lime, nice and bitter
M - light-medium mouthfeel, bitter, alcohol covere, aftertaste is orange zest
O - straight up Citra bomb, best Citra pale ale to date. Tastes like orange juice.

4.94/5  rDev +9.1%

Very hoppy for a Pale Ale but so smooth. Best beer from 3 Floyd's and best Pale Ale I've ever tasted. They can't keep this stuff in the bar or liquor store for more than a day or two. I buy it straight from the brewery about 60 Miles from my house.

2.92/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This is an okay beer. It's definitely not worth the hype that TF has made. I've tried it a few times & I just wasn't blown away. I've had other APA's/IPA's that I can say are much better. It's not a bad beer, but I wouldn't put it within my top 10 beers of all time.

4.98/5  rDev +9.9%

Simply the best APA that i've ever tasted. Also one of the most drinkable beers too.

4.77/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Full disclosure: I'm not sure I can give any pale ale straight 5.0's....it's just a pale ale after all, right? Well, this beer puts that instinct to the test!.

The star is definitely the nose. It's one of those beers that after popping the top you go around to any adult in sight screaming "Oh my gosh, you have to smell this." A lovely citrus bouquet. This is without a doubt the most fragrant pale ale I have ever had. Great carbonation and mouthfeel. This would absolutely be my go-to beer if it came in 12-packs here in Alaska (will NEVER happen, but a man can dream).

3.25/5  rDev -28.3%

Thanks to a Tsauce2 who got a co-worker of mine a six pack from the 3floyds.

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams Pint glass

Zombie Dust has a glowing orange appearance. The head quickly dissipates and less than a millimeter of foam is left around the edge of the top of the beer.

The scents I've picked up from this beer include lots of citrus fruits, lemon, grapefruit, orange.

Taste is pretty good with only a slight touch of bitterness that doesn't linger long enough to throw off the overall taste of the brew. All the citrus components in the scent are there with the taste as well. The alcohol is hidden very well also.

Mouthfeel is easy going down, very smooth and velvety for an APA.

Overall- I enjoyed this brew but I didn't really find anything too incredibly special about it. I enjoy most of the beers this brewery puts out but all the hype I've heard about Zombie Dust just didn't live up to my expectations.

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%

If you like hoppy beer this is a one. If your not sure, this is a good one to try. Hoppy upfront taste but clean on the back end.

It's a great beer, but it is overrated. I agree with the fellow who said that the label is better than the beer...

4.94/5  rDev +9.1%

Serving: 12 oz. bottle poured into a Founder's pint glass. Surprisingly no bottle date on this 6-pack, but can't be more than a week or so old.

A: Pours a hazy dark orange color, with a foamy 1-finger white head.

S: Pineapple, orange juice, grapefruit. Classic citra here. Aroma is richer than your average IPA.

T: Huge pineapple, grapefruit, tangerine. Slight biscuity notes at the finish, just enough to balance out the hop hop flavors.

M: Pretty much where this beer separates itself. Flavor and aroma get you thinking IPA, but then the mouthfeel is simple like a pale ale. No booziness, great carbonation. Finish is very clean and refreshing, with minimal bitterness in the aftertaste.

O: I think the reason I love this beer so much, and maybe why many others do, is because you have you grade it for style. And when it comes to pale ales, this beer is one of the best. It smells and tastes like any of the best citra IPAs out there, but drinks like a pale ale. Not quite a session beer, but definitely smooth and drinkable. How they can pack that much punch in the flavor is beyond me.

Recommendation: One of those legendary beers that every craft beer fan needs to try at least once. In my opinion, it falls off after 6 weeks, so drink it fresh!

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.