Zombie Dust

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Zombie DustZombie Dust
Notes: This intensely hopped and gushing undead Pale Ale will be one’s only respite after the zombie apocalypse. Created with our marvelous friends in the comic industry.

Reviews: 1,693 | Ratings: 10,832 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by tectactoe:
tectactoe from Michigan

4.9/5  rDev +5.8%

Hook up from Sir_Win in Indiana - thanks, man! Pours a hazy, copper, deep-amber color. Humongous off-white head starts boiling immediately, even with a delicate pour; lots of staying power and a ton of nice lacing.

The aroma of this beer, for lack of a better term, is fucking amazing. As soon as you open the bottle, a surge of fruit and hops jumps out at you. You dip your nose to the glass and it bum-rushes your nostrils like no other. JAM PACKED with all kinds of fruits; tangerines, oranges, grapefruits, papaya, pineapple. The description of the beer on the bottle is very accurate - this beer's aroma is GUSHING with citrus. It's incredible. The citrus is outlined with an incredible hop portrait; resinous, piney, oily, slightly floral and dank. Perfect aroma for a pale ale.

At this point, I'm just hoping that the smell doesn't get my hopes up so high only to be let down by the taste. It doesn't - this beer delivers, HARD. The hops are more up front in the taste than they were in the aroma, and it works perfectly. You're still getting the incredible citrus on the nose and the extra hops on the tongue - perfect harmony and synthesis of the senses. Bitter spikes and oily and resinous hops take over for a bit, mellowed out by the grapefruits, tangerines, pineapples, and mangoes in the background.

The hops round out a bit as the beer warms up, and the citrus flavors evolve even more. This beer is seriously insane, one of the best things I've ever tasted. Little malt and yeast on the very tail end. Not much, but really, when your hop profile is this amazing, it doesn't leave much of one to be desired. Just a phenomenal flavor and aroma profile that synthesize extraordinarily well. Medium body, medium-high carbonation, ever so slightly sticky.

Good lord. After I had a Pliny the Elder, I thought I'd never have another hop-forward beer better than it. I take that back. Pliny is damn good, but Zombie Dust is goddamn incredible. Literally, a PERFECT combo of bitter and sweet, hops and citrus, every sip blows my mind all over again. And that nose... my GOD that nose. Unbelievable. Whether you consider this a PA or an IPA doesn't matter - just know that it's an amazing beer. If I could get my hands on this easily, I would drink it all day, until the day I died. All hail the Citra hop, all hail motherfuckin' Zombie Dust.

EDIT: 4/3/2013

Finally received some more of this after putting it off for so long (thanks MCain04). I was afraid this time around that it wouldn't be as good. I was worried that maybe I had hyped it up to myself before and that I was overrating it big-time. I was scared that my palate had changed and Zombie Dust would no longer be the same sweet nectar I fell in love with the first time around. Luckily all of my worries were wiped away the second I cracked open the bottle, took a nice whiff and had another sip. This stuff is simply amazing. So perfectly balanced and so insanely drinkable. All things considered, this is still one of THE best beers out there, in my opinion.

Dec 15, 2012
infinitebruner from Arkansas

4.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

September 8, 2014

12 oz bottle, weizen glass

A – Pours orange to light amber. Thick finger of head that sticks around for a long time. Mild haze, probably from being poured cold, mostly good clarity otherwise.

S – Lots of lemon and other citrus, a bit of fresh cut grass, grapefruit. A hop bomb. Some malty sweetness on the nose but balanced hard towards the hops. Some malt thickness.

T – Very malty and then the hops take over. Citrus and grapefruit melts into a perfectly bitter finish. A ton of hop bitterness but really well balanced with the malt.

M – Very malty, relatively full body, just a bit of acidity leading into the finish. Bitterness coats the tongue, balanced with malt sweetness. Not a palate wrecker despite smelling like it could be one.

O – Having had this before without evaluating properly, I was pleasantly surprised to remember how well balanced it is. There is a ton of hop flavor, aroma, and bitterness, but does not destroy your taste buds. The malt has a great presence as well and really works together with the hops to create a remarkable beer. Great example of the American Pale Ale style.

Sep 10, 2014
Hoploaf from Wisconsin

4.06/5  rDev -12.3%

Very good beer, but HIGHLY overrated. There are dozens of equally good IPA's, including better ones from 3 Floyds.

Feb 08, 2015
MrHadack from Massachusetts

2.16/5  rDev -53.3%

Great beer!

But it is not an American Pale Ale. Too hoppy for style classification. Disqualified.

Really, people. Pay attention to style. Styles have meanings and characteristics for the purpose of judging. Three floyds calls this an APA when it is an IPA based on the IBU and other criteria. Judging this to be a 100 in the world of American Pale Ales is like saying the best type of apple in the world is a banana. If you don't pay attention to style parameters you shouldn't be judging any beers at all, because otherwise all we're doing here is telling the world what your OPINION is of a specific beer, and frankly, I don't care about your opinion if you can't even compare a beer against its supposed style guidelines.

Jul 17, 2013
ricknelson from Vermont

3.75/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Our group of 4 Beer Advocate members did a recent small bottle tasting of high alcohol brews.
Among the 12 brews tasted was; Zombie Dust American Pale Ale from Three Floyds. Although
not a high alcohol beer, I had just bought it because it was rated number 6 on the BA site with
a BA score of 100. Sad to say this beer was a total disappointment finishing 10th with an average
rating of 3.75. It is possible that something was wrong with this bottle as it had no head to speak
of at all. I have another one to try, so hopefully it will live up to the reviews of other reviewers.

Well I tried the second bottle and still do not understand how Zombie Dust got the rave reviews. But this bottle did have a little more appeal than the first one, but not enough to change my rating.

I have been spoiled by two really outstanding IPA's here in Vermont; Alchemist's Heady Topper which is currently at number 1 on the BA site, and Lawson's Finest Liquids Double Sunshine, which
is currently at number 10 on the BA site. However I feel Double Sunshine should be number 1 and
Heady Topper number 2.

Jan 27, 2014
oberon from North Carolina

4.42/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured into a nonic a clear medium golden with a large fluffy white crown that settled very slowly into a frothy mass.A big shot of grapefruit hops hits ya in the nose along with some overripe tangerine,a sweetish biscuit malt is noticable as well.A healthy dose of citric hops over top of sweet biscuit on the palate,more fruity hops than bitter.A great pale ale,it has a huge dose of hops but it's actually a pretty rounded palate.

May 06, 2012
bditty187 from Nebraska

3.84/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A bottle was given to me and I had no idea it was a “highly rated” beer when I sampled it. The guy who gave it to me said it was awesome and another beer geek said the same thing about it before I tried it. My overall impression of Zombie Dust was… “yeah, it’s good but is it really any better than Alpha King?”

Clear, peachy-amber in hue with an off-white rock star head. Good head retention and equally good subsequent lacing. It is an attractive looking beer… but aren’t most hoppy beers!

Sugary-sweet tropical and orchard fruitiness surprised me and kind of muddled the “brightness” citrus and grapefruit notes from the hops. Biscuit/toast maltiness is noticeable as well. Hop-forward but balanced. A lovely aroma, plenty complex and inviting.

Hop bitterness is moderate… plenty of flavor though, citrus, pine, grapefruit as well as tropical and orchard fruitiness. And, like the nose, sweet biscuit, toast and some caramel. A tasty beer… a nice pale ale but I don’t get the high scores here on BA.

Medium in body, standard for the style, moderate carbonation…

Overall, like I said, tasty… good. Really good I guess. It’s just a pale ale. Thanks for the bottle Rod!

Apr 29, 2013
Circles413 from Illinois

2.92/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This is an okay beer. It's definitely not worth the hype that TF has made. I've tried it a few times & I just wasn't blown away. I've had other APA's/IPA's that I can say are much better. It's not a bad beer, but I wouldn't put it within my top 10 beers of all time.

Feb 27, 2014
harrisonpainter from Indiana

The best beer in the world.

Jun 09, 2015
agreenman19 from Connecticut

4.66/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L - deep and dark. You sure this is a pale ale? Looks more like a DIPA. Creamy head that has lasting power, but eventually dies down like all good beers. Entrancing.

S - wonderfully rich and complex. I can smell the artful hop balance from here, peppered with malty spicy notes. Probably the best part about this beer.

T - the true definition of perfect balance. Nothing is particularly overwhelming, but isn't that the point? These guys went with a pale ale and knocked it out of the park. More impressive than a lot of DIPAs that have this beat in all categories simply because it accomplishes what 3 Floyds set out to do so well. Strong malt backbone. Editing this because after I let it sit, I'm getting a potent mango-centric punch up front. Nice. +.25

F - I had a lot of trouble rating the mouthfeel simply because every time I took a sip with mouthfeel in mind, I kept getting distracted by the flavor. So rich, lightly floral, yet aggressive tingly hops all with a smooth malt bill in full force from beginning to end. Godammit, there I go again! Right, the mouthfeel! Creamy and saturating. Coats the entire mouth, seeping into every pore (do mouths have pores?)

O - nothing more to say other than this is art. Beautifully crafted beer that doesn't try to be the biggest, baddest beer of them all. So many big beers in the top 250; it's refreshing to see such a well-deserved beer stick to its roots and perfect a relatively bland style.

Sep 01, 2015
BigJdizzle from Virginia

4.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle. Great mouth feel...wow!

Feb 16, 2015
invertalon from Ohio

4.81/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I am a HUGE fan of Zombie Dust. This rating is based on having it dozens of times (at the brewery, from the bottle, on tap) and every single time I am really impressed with it.

The balance of this beer is what really makes it shine… Hop bitterness is medium, if not on the low side of the spectrum (at least the perceived bitterness). The citra hops deliver wonderful flavor and that tropical aroma.

It is just a very well made beer all around… It does drop off quick in the bottle, so be sure to drink as fresh as you can get it.

Oct 21, 2015
jlindros from Massachusetts

4.64/5  rDev +0.2%

Big thanks to paco1029384756 for this gem.

Wow, just cracking the cap I can smell the awesome hops floating outwards into the world beyond the bottle. Pouring into the snifter just makes it even stronger. it does pour a fizzy almost 1 finger head that fades semi slowly and leaves a nice almost soapy spotty lacing that makes it look like a foam war just took place. The beer is a super hazy bright nectar orange color, barely any light getting through that fog.

Nose is just awesome before I even put my nose in the glass. It's like a wedding of Citra and Simcoe super fresh hops and they're spitting out babies into my nostrils. Going deeper brings so much fruit, tropical fruit mostly. A big citrus kick in the face with a slight orange zest, fresh squeezed grapefruit, waves of tropical fruit with some pineapple, guava, mango, and a big passion fruit kick. Damn! As I stuck my nose in deeper I get a bit of the beer on my nose and mustache, forcing me to lick it off, what a shame... back to the nose, a slight musty fresh wet hop resin comes through but lightly, and more of the tropical fruits with some nice tangerine and an overripe clementine. That's just the nose!

Taste also comes with fresh tropical fruit and deliciously delicious hops. The citrimcoe hop babies are having a party in my mouth and shedding hop oils everywhere. Awesome tropical fruits like I tried to say before my mind wandered. Anyways, tons of tropical fruits... and citrus. Nice orange rind, grapefruit, juicy tangerine, a really nice pineapple flavor. Then brings more of the guava, mango, and tons of passion fruit again. I can't tell if this beer is just ridiculously juicy or my mouth can't stop salivating, probably both. A light bitterness overall, which is nice so you can just enjoy the awesome tropical fruits of my labor. A slight fresh wet hop comes through bringing a slight musty resin but not much. Oh yeah, slight touch of malts as well, with a touch of sweetness and a nice backbone to prop up all the awesome hops so they can dig in deeper into the taste buds. I can't stop sipping this and I'll probably be done before this review is even finished. Finish comes with a bit more bitterness, a nice tropical fruit long finish, some light citrus and resin, such a long delicious finish as well that seems to last forever. Also drier on the finish.

Mouth is med bodied, decent carb.

Overall holy shit, I didn't think an APA could taste so awesome! So much fresh tropical fruit and awesome hops, like all the best parts of the hops got together and replicated until they couldn't anymore, and this is the byproduct. Bravo 3F, Bravo!

Oct 25, 2011
stoutman from Michigan

3.85/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Stopped in this beerwery on the way back to Detroit from Chi-Town. Bought several cases of different 3 Floyds. This IPA presents a Gold color with a nice head and a super hoppy flavor and finish. Full bouquet aroma and sweet citrusy after-taste. Perfect hoppiness. They should call this brew hoppy rabbit as it doesn't turn one into a zombie.. very nice brew.

Jul 28, 2014
Dirtyhands from Maryland

4.23/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

super balanced, no fruity hop flavors more of a perfect mesh of hop bitterness and quality malt flavor. West coast style for sure...by but still kind of a relic when compared to today's modern bangers coming out of MA.

Sep 22, 2016
Ethanol4one from New York

4.94/5  rDev +6.7%

Been had that-- and seek it out whenever it rears its ugly label. Worth the ride to the Indiana if you can't find it in Chicago-- hell, they may have it on tap in their ghoulish tasting room... place is like CBGB's in the 80s.

Nevertheless, Zombie Dust demonstrates that Citra is so damn good when it hits the lips, and memorable.

Apr 17, 2016
ScaryEd from New Hampshire

4.19/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It's time. The hype train has arrived in my neighborhood. Do I jump on or flip it off as it meanders on by?

Poured from a 12 oz bottle dated the day this review is being written. I had hoped to score a case that hadn't been bottled yet but you know how it is.

Pours a lightly hazy orange golden color with a 2-finger off-white head. When the head dissipates it leaves a nice fluffy crown around the beer. Not much lacing to speak of.

The aroma has a ton of orange and some mild grapefruit. Par for the course for Citra hopped ales. Not a knock, that's just how it is.

The taste, like the nose, is all citrus. Orange and grapefruit, maybe some tangerine. Finishes lightly bitter and piney.

The feel is medium bodied with moderately high carbonation. Just a slight lingering bitterness.

Overall, a great pale ale that doesn't quite meet the hype but honestly, who cares? It's a great beer with a great flavor. If citra is your thing then so will this beer be.

Jun 05, 2016
justinp444 from Michigan

4.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a clear orange with a gorgeous 2 inch thick foamy white head (sticks to your skin). Smell of tropical fruit, grass, orange, citrus, and floral notes with a nice bready malt backbone. Taste is crisp drinkable and smooth with a nice moderate mouth feel and body. Lots of citrus and grapefruit notes with a not overly sweet malty taste.

Jul 04, 2015
flagmantho from Washington

4.32/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: the label says this beer is "gushing", and that was definitely my experience. Medium orange hue with a touch of haze and a strong effervescence. Head is two fingers of pillowy, creamy ivory foam with great retention.

Smell: sweet, rich malt with a good citrusy, grapefruity character. There's some earthy pininess in the mix as well; I like it.

Taste: very citrusy all around, but with a very smooth bitterness characteristic of Citra. Bittering is also relatively low, consistent with the APA style. Extremely well balanced; this is not a hop bomb but stays within style while still being very hoppy and flavorful. I was really looking forward to this beer; I guess I was expecting something over-the-top, but I am even more impressed by its quality while still adhering to stylistic guidelines.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation for the style and a satisfying creaminess. Good stuff!

Overall: exceedingly well balanced and incredibly drinkable. I wish I could get this beer more easily in these parts. It would definitely have a regular place in my fridge.

Jul 07, 2013
jcflorian from Connecticut

4.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Finally got to try a beer I have wanted for a long time.

Def not disappointed.

Look- crystal clear with small white head. Great lacing on the glass
Smell- this is a pale ale, so I did not expect IPA aroma, but it was damn close. Perfect for style.
Taste- Smooth all around. Great lingering citrus taste. Very sessionable beer.
Feel- Creamy mouthfeel. Really goes down nice and easy.
Overall- Usually not a a big Pale Ale guy, but this one is really exceptional. Could pound 5-6 of these consecutively very easily. Worth the hype

Feb 05, 2016
Zekenyce from New Jersey

4.38/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A tad bit overrated. I think the label design is actually better than the beer. This is a perfect example of a beer that is overrated because it comes from a trusted brewery. Love 3 Floyds, but there's no way that this brew deserves a Top 15 spot.

Feb 21, 2015
tjk135 from Illinois

4.71/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is a different animal on tap than it is from the bottle. On tap and fresh at the brewery it's one of the best IPAs (APA) I've ever had. Bright, citrusy and a nice hop bitterness. In the bottle, it's just not nearly as good even when fresh.

Jun 01, 2015
mig100 from Texas

4.52/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Whether it's considered a Jr. IPA or an APA doesn't matter. One of the most amazing looking, super bubbly, lacey, aromatic, refreshing, delicious, citrusy, tropical and balanced hoppy beers ever, a perfect representation of Citra hops.

*Review based on 2015 and earlier bottles and draft, as this beer has changed considerably since 3 Floyds has ramped up production.

May 30, 2015
Saberkiwibrew

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%

If you like hoppy beer this is a one. If your not sure, this is a good one to try. Hoppy upfront taste but clean on the back end.

Feb 08, 2015
ABhatia from New York

2.99/5  rDev -35.4%

seems overrated..did not enjoy much. little flat, no particular characteristics. If you like hops this is not the beer for you. cool looking bottle though

Aug 27, 2015
Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 100 out of 100 with 10832 ratings