Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,500 | Ratings: 9,695

Recieved in a trade with Chicago John, thanks buddy for the ample stash of ZD. After reading so much love for ZD I am stoked to finally sit down and sip a few. Poured into a tulip. Maybe the best looking brew I have seen, sunset orange with super thick sticky two finger bright white head that clings to the glass leaving beautiful lacing. The nose, maybe as good or better than Kerns Citra, I can just happily sit here and smell this for hours, tropically dense from the Citra, amazing. The flavor profile is citrusy, sweet, balanced, and a tad bitter from the 60 IBU, perfect.The mouth is crisp, clean, and medium weighted, perfect for this holiday weekend at the shore. If there is perfection then ZD is it, the best APA I have ever had. Sadly not available on the west coast, happily sitting with two six packs to enjoy over the next couple weeks. Bravo 3 Floyds, the hype is more than justified.

I have to give this beer 5's all the way across. There is nothing that compares to this beer in the APA style. The Smell is unbelievable.. with grapefruit, mango, and other tropical fruits. Following the nose, the taste is pretty much on point. Excellent citrus flavors with a nice crisp citra hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is slick and creamy with medium carbonation.

Appearance: Radiant Gold
Smell: Fruity
Taste: Strong grapefruit/citrus.
Feel: Drinks easy without being too light or heavy.
Over All: This has become my absolute favorite beer. Everything about it is heavenly.

This is the best beer that I have ever had. Definitely try it if you are lucky enough to.

Three Floyds only produces a limited amount and the supply frequently gets exhausted so if you see it, buy it! It gets sold out all the time for good reason. Best beer ever!

Have picked up two 6 packs in the last 3 weeks. Both packs were bottled about a week before I drank them. This is an excellent beer and has no faults. I hope with the expansion at Three Floyds this will become more readily available (liquor stores in Indianapolis get 1 case about every 2 weeks), and I don't have to leave work early to get my hands on some. One of the best beers I've ever drank, and if you get it fresh like I have recently it is unbelievably good.

A - nice dark orange amber color white head sticks nice lacing
S - nice big orange zest, grapefruit, lemon lime
T - pops even more so.than the smell, orange zest, grapefruit, lemon lime, nice and bitter
M - light-medium mouthfeel, bitter, alcohol covere, aftertaste is orange zest
O - straight up Citra bomb, best Citra pale ale to date. Tastes like orange juice.

Totally blown away by this beer. Fantastic clarity with a golden orange glow. Outstanding balance of sweetness and dryness, with a pungent and puckering grapefruit hops kick that is assertive yet not overpowering. Some malt sweetness creeps in toward the finish, very clean. Drinks much, much bigger than 6.2 abv. This ranks in my top favorite beers.

I had a bottle of this sent down from up north:
Pours beautiful golden with thick one finger head into pint glass, steady stream of bubbles head to the top.
Best aroma ever from a glass here with superb hop bouquet of perfection: aromatic nirvana for me. Sweet grapefruit and pine as well in there, and if somehow in a tropical way the taste follows suit. Nice, nice drinkability, finishes crisp and bitter with a very appealing lingering hop flavor. I guess I really favor citra hops!! I'm trying to pinpoint any slight shortcoming here but I'm already at the last sip and haven't come up with anything. Even though the malt backbone was nice it was backstage of the hop florality (new word) and I like it that way. I'm biased toward anything IPA/ DIPA, and AIPA is the least visited of the style for me. But of the ones I've tried, this does it. Superb. Easily in my Top 3 ever. I'm only sorry I can't purchase it in my state.

Not sipping right now so I will reserve my review for later but from what I remember from last Thursday, this was like a Heady Topper with less alcohol bit to it and a wonderful blend of Citrus (lots of citrus for you hop heads like me), bitterness (relatively low at 60), and bite at only 6.4%. It's a Heady that you can have more than 2 of in one sitting. My own personal order would put this beer at #2 after Pliney The Elder (only because of how perfectly balanced that beer is). This beer isn't balanced much it's a smack of Citrusy Hops across the face. My #3 would be Sofie, with Maine Lunch and Heady rounding out my personal top 5.

A: A deep orange look to it, great color for a pale ale

S: Lemony, grapefruit, citrus, all the things i love

T: Very hoppy tasting like that grassy taste, with that lemon/grapefruit citrus taste. Delicious one of the best tasting pale ales I've had, just wish it was easier to find in more places ;)

M: Equal carbonation to the body of the beer, very easy to pound down, left that super craving dry pale ale taste in your mouth.

O: Easily one of the best beers I've had, I'm upset the liquor store wouldn't sell me more because of some stupid rule!!! I've been searching everywhere and is usually the first beer i look for.

I can only imagine a full six pack of ZD, forget having a case. This stuff is so insanely hard to find.

It has the best flavor of any IPA I have ever had… a little red grapefruit… very sweet and floral but with a good amount of bite in the finish.

Medium to full body and soooo delicious.

@ Three Floyds, Munster IN

Zombies and hops, oh god yes.

Orange with a tight white head. Smells and tastes like a beery tangerine Orange Julius, a Tangerine Julius if you will. Or super concentrated freshly squeezed Citra juice. Mildly sweet caramel support.

All 5's you say? Really? Yes really.

Even the bottle art is a 5.

I just started drinking beer recently and while trying many different kinds so far, this is by far the best. I'm lucky enough to have the Three Floyds Brewery only about 20 miles from me or so, and I couldn't be any happier about it. Zombie Dust is the pinnacle of what an American Pale Ale should be.

I had known of Three Floyds for awhile, but one day an over-excited beer clerk gave me a six pack from his secret stash. I never looked back.

Appearance-
Sharp orange, and depending how served a surprisingly foamy head.

Smell-
The standard to which citra hops should be held, a showcase of clean tropical fruits, citrus fruits, and a smidgeon of bubblegum.

Taste-
Follows the smell, but the hops have a bitter back. Like a good pale ale, the malt is still present.

Mouthfeel-
The hop oils give a good feel, but it remains refreshingly crisp.

Overall-
The hype is factored into this rating, but the hype followed a fantastic beer. It is drinkable in all occasions.

A-Golden yellow, almost glowing, white head that lingers perfectly
S-Typical west coast type aroma with a pine and Citrus punch and a subtle dankness
M-Carbonation is on the high end and helps to cleanse the palate. Mouthfeel is light to medium
T-Sweet upfront, with a clean bitterness that follows and remains for a little while. It seems like a wonderful coating of hop oils covers your mouth as you enjoy this beer.
O-This is one fantastic beer, it's not so much in the observable characteristics as the 'extras'...like I said it as if the beer coats your taste buds and just makes all your problems go away...for a while anyway

There's a reason this beer is so difficult to come by. Perfect amount of hops. The citrusy smell is an unforgettable aroma. Pretty hard to top this beer.

One of a kind beer. Hard to find. In fact the place i work at we sold out in an hour and half the first time we got it. Nice dark golden color. Nice lacing. Smells hoppy and taste hoppy with a grapefruit finish. Wonderful feeling as i drank this beer. Overall a really great beer to try if you can find it . As always i pour my beer into a pint glass

Overall a Great beer. Bright clear orange/amber color and an aroma that reminded me of peeling an orange. Light mouthfeel and excellent strong hop and citrus flavor doesn't have a lingering coppery taste that I've noticed in some ipa's or dipa's. hands down best ipa/pale ale I've ever had the pleasure of tasting.

Fresh 12oz bottle of Zombie Dust poured into a brand new Three Floyds Teku glass.

A: Golden peach/amber, small head despite a fairly firm pour. Leaves behind lacing, and quickly dissipates to a light coating. Moderate to light carbonation.

S: The absolute best smelling beer out there. Very crisp. Intense citrus (lemon/grapefruit/orange rind), pine, grass, a somewhat tropical mixture of flavors.

T: A bit stronger (in a good way) than expected after the light, aromatic nose. POW! Citra, and loads of it. The amount that you'd expect in a DIPA, but with the lower ABV, this mixture is crisp and potent, without a strong alcohol taste. Malt balance is perfect, IMHO. After the full flavor subsides, a pine and citrus aftertaste is present in full force. Lasts quite a while. Perfect dry finish without overwhelming bitterness.

M: Carbonation is perfect, medium to light bodied, while still providing a very nice coating on the palate.

O: My favorite beer. FFF knocked it out of the park with this one. Every sip starts with a hoppy, tropical teaser, is followed by the ever-so-satisfying mouthfeel, and leaves behind a craving for another sip by taunting you with left-behind hops. Every time I go a without this for a little while, I forget just how off the charts it is. Thank God I'm close enough to the brewery to get this on a regular basis, cause finding bottles anywhere else is always a joke.

Review #1!

Hazy golden color with a nice white head. Amazingly big citrus and tropical fruit aroma. Flavor is similar with grapefruit, orange, mango, and just a little pine bitterness. Balanced perfectly with a malty sweetness and body. Very smooth and finishes clean with no aftertaste. I love this beer!

Its without a doubt one of the best beers I've ever had the pleasure of drinking! I stop by the The Floyds Brewery every time I get a chance. If your lucky they might have some for sale. They limit how much you can buy so I'll usually get as much as they'll let me. Its great out of a bottle but its even better on tap.

on tap at the brewpub on more than one occasion.

this is why i started loving beer, rather than liking it. the first sip is just WOW! and you want more, FFF really hit a cult classic with this brew.

A: light is color with a white head.

S: HOPS, HOPS, HOPS, citrus, grapefruit, any fruit you can imagine into this beer is there.

T: HOPS, fruit, malts, and more HOPS.

M: fizzy but not like a $5 6-pack, like a very good pale ale.

O: would drink this again, and again, and again, and again, and again.. if you get the chance to order this on tap or if a friend offers you a 12oz bottle, don't turn it down!

cheers!

A- Really nice dark, orange. Poured with a thick off white head with really great retention. After sitting for a few minutes the head is holding strong. Very cloudy ale, but nothing floating around. Really, really nice looking.

S - Lots of hops. Very citrusy aroma. It smells so clean and fresh. Unbelievable.

T - HOLY SH%T! A pale ale that has no taste of a lager lingering around. I can imagine myself drinking nothing but this beer for the rest of my days and I'm really ok with that. Sadly this will be my last one, at least for now.

M - Tastes clean and crisp. Lots of carbonation, which I love in hoppy ales. Very smooth and doesn't leave too much hop oil on the palette.

O - Best pale ale of all time? Probably. Really glad my good friends hooked me up with this. One of the best beers I've had, and really glad it lived up to its reputation. I'm giving it a perfect review. If you don't like it, I hope a Zombie kills you.

Appearance - somewhat clouded peach-tinted golden color. Head is puffing up quickly to about a finger and a half. Holds some of the sediment from the bottom, like sprinkled cinnamon on a meringue. Steady action from below, keeping the head in good shape.

Aroma - piny and grapefruit combo, good resilience, mmm....

Taste - the citrus side of the hops hits immediately with the sturdy grain base, the balance is great right from the start. Moving to mid-palate, the grains subside and the hops go a little twangy, prickly on the tongue. Just about where they'd start to get a little medicinal, they begin to ease up instead. The finish stays mildly bitter but fills the mouth just the same. Grapefruit rind at the end.

Mouthfeel - quite smooth, very crisp, medium+ body.

Overall - excellent session pale. Thanks to my buddy Steve for picking up a few of these on his last trip to Munster. Enjoyed it during the WEBN 2013 fireworks, aptly zombie-themed this year. I really enjoyed this beer despite the hype. Too often, once I hear all the accolades, I find it hard to enjoy the beer afterwards - so much pressure! :-)

"But I can't pay attention 'cause I'm on that dust" - Prost!

I am coming back now to write a quick blurb on this beer. I have had it on tap at 3F's and it was amazing, but I hadnt had a chance to sit down at home, pour my own, and really think about it...

A great friend from IL just sent me a fresh 12 pack of these beauties and I sat down to properly enjoy one poured into my 3F's Teku. THIS BEER IS AMAZING! I thought maybe I had built it up in my head based on other reviews and the excitement I had to drink more, but that is NOT the case. This is the perfect beer. Litterally. If I could rated this at a 10 I would.

This beer is everything that I want from an IPA (I know, its an APA), you can sip it slowly, you can session it, you can live on it. I would drink this every day if it was possible. Seek out this beer and savor every sip.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.