Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,499 | Ratings: 9,690

I can only imagine a full six pack of ZD, forget having a case. This stuff is so insanely hard to find.

It has the best flavor of any IPA I have ever had… a little red grapefruit… very sweet and floral but with a good amount of bite in the finish.

Medium to full body and soooo delicious.

@ Three Floyds, Munster IN

Zombies and hops, oh god yes.

Orange with a tight white head. Smells and tastes like a beery tangerine Orange Julius, a Tangerine Julius if you will. Or super concentrated freshly squeezed Citra juice. Mildly sweet caramel support.

All 5's you say? Really? Yes really.

Even the bottle art is a 5.

I just started drinking beer recently and while trying many different kinds so far, this is by far the best. I'm lucky enough to have the Three Floyds Brewery only about 20 miles from me or so, and I couldn't be any happier about it. Zombie Dust is the pinnacle of what an American Pale Ale should be.

I had known of Three Floyds for awhile, but one day an over-excited beer clerk gave me a six pack from his secret stash. I never looked back.

Appearance-
Sharp orange, and depending how served a surprisingly foamy head.

Smell-
The standard to which citra hops should be held, a showcase of clean tropical fruits, citrus fruits, and a smidgeon of bubblegum.

Taste-
Follows the smell, but the hops have a bitter back. Like a good pale ale, the malt is still present.

Mouthfeel-
The hop oils give a good feel, but it remains refreshingly crisp.

Overall-
The hype is factored into this rating, but the hype followed a fantastic beer. It is drinkable in all occasions.

A-Golden yellow, almost glowing, white head that lingers perfectly
S-Typical west coast type aroma with a pine and Citrus punch and a subtle dankness
M-Carbonation is on the high end and helps to cleanse the palate. Mouthfeel is light to medium
T-Sweet upfront, with a clean bitterness that follows and remains for a little while. It seems like a wonderful coating of hop oils covers your mouth as you enjoy this beer.
O-This is one fantastic beer, it's not so much in the observable characteristics as the 'extras'...like I said it as if the beer coats your taste buds and just makes all your problems go away...for a while anyway

There's a reason this beer is so difficult to come by. Perfect amount of hops. The citrusy smell is an unforgettable aroma. Pretty hard to top this beer.

One of a kind beer. Hard to find. In fact the place i work at we sold out in an hour and half the first time we got it. Nice dark golden color. Nice lacing. Smells hoppy and taste hoppy with a grapefruit finish. Wonderful feeling as i drank this beer. Overall a really great beer to try if you can find it . As always i pour my beer into a pint glass

Overall a Great beer. Bright clear orange/amber color and an aroma that reminded me of peeling an orange. Light mouthfeel and excellent strong hop and citrus flavor doesn't have a lingering coppery taste that I've noticed in some ipa's or dipa's. hands down best ipa/pale ale I've ever had the pleasure of tasting.

Fresh 12oz bottle of Zombie Dust poured into a brand new Three Floyds Teku glass.

A: Golden peach/amber, small head despite a fairly firm pour. Leaves behind lacing, and quickly dissipates to a light coating. Moderate to light carbonation.

S: The absolute best smelling beer out there. Very crisp. Intense citrus (lemon/grapefruit/orange rind), pine, grass, a somewhat tropical mixture of flavors.

T: A bit stronger (in a good way) than expected after the light, aromatic nose. POW! Citra, and loads of it. The amount that you'd expect in a DIPA, but with the lower ABV, this mixture is crisp and potent, without a strong alcohol taste. Malt balance is perfect, IMHO. After the full flavor subsides, a pine and citrus aftertaste is present in full force. Lasts quite a while. Perfect dry finish without overwhelming bitterness.

M: Carbonation is perfect, medium to light bodied, while still providing a very nice coating on the palate.

O: My favorite beer. FFF knocked it out of the park with this one. Every sip starts with a hoppy, tropical teaser, is followed by the ever-so-satisfying mouthfeel, and leaves behind a craving for another sip by taunting you with left-behind hops. Every time I go a without this for a little while, I forget just how off the charts it is. Thank God I'm close enough to the brewery to get this on a regular basis, cause finding bottles anywhere else is always a joke.

Review #1!

Hazy golden color with a nice white head. Amazingly big citrus and tropical fruit aroma. Flavor is similar with grapefruit, orange, mango, and just a little pine bitterness. Balanced perfectly with a malty sweetness and body. Very smooth and finishes clean with no aftertaste. I love this beer!

Its without a doubt one of the best beers I've ever had the pleasure of drinking! I stop by the The Floyds Brewery every time I get a chance. If your lucky they might have some for sale. They limit how much you can buy so I'll usually get as much as they'll let me. Its great out of a bottle but its even better on tap.

on tap at the brewpub on more than one occasion.

this is why i started loving beer, rather than liking it. the first sip is just WOW! and you want more, FFF really hit a cult classic with this brew.

A: light is color with a white head.

S: HOPS, HOPS, HOPS, citrus, grapefruit, any fruit you can imagine into this beer is there.

T: HOPS, fruit, malts, and more HOPS.

M: fizzy but not like a $5 6-pack, like a very good pale ale.

O: would drink this again, and again, and again, and again, and again.. if you get the chance to order this on tap or if a friend offers you a 12oz bottle, don't turn it down!

cheers!

A- Really nice dark, orange. Poured with a thick off white head with really great retention. After sitting for a few minutes the head is holding strong. Very cloudy ale, but nothing floating around. Really, really nice looking.

S - Lots of hops. Very citrusy aroma. It smells so clean and fresh. Unbelievable.

T - HOLY SH%T! A pale ale that has no taste of a lager lingering around. I can imagine myself drinking nothing but this beer for the rest of my days and I'm really ok with that. Sadly this will be my last one, at least for now.

M - Tastes clean and crisp. Lots of carbonation, which I love in hoppy ales. Very smooth and doesn't leave too much hop oil on the palette.

O - Best pale ale of all time? Probably. Really glad my good friends hooked me up with this. One of the best beers I've had, and really glad it lived up to its reputation. I'm giving it a perfect review. If you don't like it, I hope a Zombie kills you.

Appearance - somewhat clouded peach-tinted golden color. Head is puffing up quickly to about a finger and a half. Holds some of the sediment from the bottom, like sprinkled cinnamon on a meringue. Steady action from below, keeping the head in good shape.

Aroma - piny and grapefruit combo, good resilience, mmm....

Taste - the citrus side of the hops hits immediately with the sturdy grain base, the balance is great right from the start. Moving to mid-palate, the grains subside and the hops go a little twangy, prickly on the tongue. Just about where they'd start to get a little medicinal, they begin to ease up instead. The finish stays mildly bitter but fills the mouth just the same. Grapefruit rind at the end.

Mouthfeel - quite smooth, very crisp, medium+ body.

Overall - excellent session pale. Thanks to my buddy Steve for picking up a few of these on his last trip to Munster. Enjoyed it during the WEBN 2013 fireworks, aptly zombie-themed this year. I really enjoyed this beer despite the hype. Too often, once I hear all the accolades, I find it hard to enjoy the beer afterwards - so much pressure! :-)

"But I can't pay attention 'cause I'm on that dust" - Prost!

I am coming back now to write a quick blurb on this beer. I have had it on tap at 3F's and it was amazing, but I hadnt had a chance to sit down at home, pour my own, and really think about it...

A great friend from IL just sent me a fresh 12 pack of these beauties and I sat down to properly enjoy one poured into my 3F's Teku. THIS BEER IS AMAZING! I thought maybe I had built it up in my head based on other reviews and the excitement I had to drink more, but that is NOT the case. This is the perfect beer. Litterally. If I could rated this at a 10 I would.

This beer is everything that I want from an IPA (I know, its an APA), you can sip it slowly, you can session it, you can live on it. I would drink this every day if it was possible. Seek out this beer and savor every sip.

12oz bottle that was bottled 12/23/15 poured into a tulip glass….

Look: Pours an amazing golden/orangish color. Nice head retention with plenty of lacing present.

Smell: Citrusy, hoppy, fruity, grapefruity.

Taste: Citra hops galore really hop up this pale ale. This thing is dank and awesome. Citrusy and fruity tasting. Super crisp.

Feel: Medium bodied. Crisp and soo refreshing!

Overall: This is hands down the best pale ale that I have ever tasted. Lives up to the hype in my opinion. Alpha King not far behind though. So far have had 4 different brews from these guys and all have been great. Seems like these guys can't miss.

Only had one bottle to try, great smell of hops and citrus, nice one finger head that lasted, taste like heaven in a bottle, Had a surly furious the other day, and this one ranks just as well. can't wait to get my hands on some more of this great tasting pale ale.

The taste, look, feel and craftsmanship of this beer is of the charts. By far my favorite APA. The best and most sure fire way to acquire Zombie Dust is to watch the 3 Floyds websites "Beers To Go" page (http://www.3floyds.com/beers-to-go/) and making a trip to the brewery or by stalking your local liquor store (If you live the Chicago / Northwestern Indiana area), making friend s with it's employees, and learning what day and time the distributor makes his delivery. Some what pathetic behavior I know but what can I say....it's a damn good beer.

12 oz. bottle into a Three Floyds pint

A- Orange lemon in appearance. Slight haze. Head lasts a long time.

S - Citrus ... all grapefruit citrus with a little malt sweetness and cut grass .to the smell. Overall, it makes the mouth water and anticipate the beer to come.

T - Starts out malt sweet, but citrus and hops rush the taste buds. All I can say about this is mmmm.

M - Juicy mouthfeel, perfect carbonation.

O - An excellent beer and example of the APA style. Three Floyds has nailed it.

My perfect beer. First, 3 Floyds appearance and smell are consistently great. Zombie Dust takes the taste and mouthfeel beyond their other great beers. I love bitter beers with little sweetness. ZD has a consistent taste from start to finish. It is also one of the only beers that tastes the same whenever I have it.

Took forever to get my hands on 2 bottles and i live in same state and only hour away from brewery. Amazing beer worthe the hunt. Its smells fruity and taste like it but not to much just the right amout with a good hops backbone. Get this beer dont pass it up

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Grey Sail pint glass.

Appearance- Hazy copper/orange color. Light white head with moderate lacing.

Smell- Incredible. Sweet fruits, floral hops, and light earthy/herbaceous notes.

Taste- Supremely well balanced. The malt character plays with the hop bitterness perfectly. Grapefruit, orange rind flavors.

Mouthfeel- So smooth and not overly carbonated at all. Slightly resinous, but pretty light in body

Overall- I could drink this all day.

On tap at the Three Floyd's. Smell is strong and crisp. Glorious hops. This is one of my favorite beers. So glad I got to have it on cask. Everything is so strong and pronounced. I can't think of one thing I'd change about this beer. I wish FFF distributed to CT. This might be my favorite beer. No carb room temp... Hell yeah! Adds so much to this beer.

Reviewed this two years ago with a 4.75.
Last year with a 4.85.
This year a true 5.0.
Look and mouth feel are wonderful.
Smell and taste is....... Nectar of the gods.
Give it a taste after testing any other brew and
"welcome home" comes to mind.
It's very close to perfect.

Poured from the bottle into a Sixpoint Teku.

Look - Pours a beautiful burnt orange, almost amber color. Forms a light fluffy head, and the lacing remains on the glass.

Smell - Citrus and pine.

Taste - The citrus hits hard up front, but there is a strong malt background that really rounds off the flavors nicely. Pine and hops on the back end as you swallow with just the right amount of bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Bready, medium-bodied, perfect carbonation, and smooth.

Overall - My favorite pale ale to date! I really enjoy the citra hop, and 3 Floyd's really did a good job incorporating it into their recipe. If you haven't had it, please do so. I gave it a 5/5 for a reason!

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.