Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,496 | Ratings: 9,631

They suck getting this out to us...but it is top shelf .... But there are a ton of great beers ... Sorry 3 Floyds, but unless you start taking care of your fans...I'm out

Served in a bottle and poured into a tulip glass
Finger thick head that stayed with decent carbonation
Grapefruit citrus aroma, very pleasing to smell
Crisp citrus piny hops, with a smooth drinkable bitter taste
Great lacing, from a Midwestern IPAD, Zombie dust is at the top of the heap

This beer is an amazing contribution to the craft of brewing. A perfect balance of citrus and malt. This is a beer that spoils you, and is tricky to find.

No other APA like it out there . Ordered on draft at Sonka's pub in Terre Haute, IN. I heard from a few different sources though, that this beer has been completely sold out in TH and the brewery ran out of ZB ingredients for the year. I guess I'll have to wait til next year :( FFF does it again with a top quality beer. Cheers!

From a trade. 12 oz bottles bottled 12 days ago. Poured into snifter.

Look: Nice amber color with a good white head.

Smell: Luscious pine and citrus with floral notes. Hints of pineapple on the back end. slight malty notes.

Taste: Piney, slight to moderate maltyness and well balanced

Feel: Butter smooth, touch of body, clean finish

Overall: I really like this pale ale. In my top 2. 1 being Trillum. Was lucky to get this one so fresh. If you get a chance defiantly try it. The fresher the better.

Sampled on tap at the brewery.

A - Golden and clear with a big white head. Great lacing.

S - A huge, huge aroma of grapefruit, orange, mango and pineapple.

T - Pure hop flavor with all of the aspects above. The bitterness is moderate and the malt is sufficient but well overshadowed.

M - Creamy and silky with a low to moderate carbonation.

O - This is a flawless beer. Absolutely fantastic.

New to the review thing so this won't be overwrought. Thanks to tsauce2 for the extra thrown in with a trade. Possibly the best pale ale I've ever had. Citra hops... very fruity nose and taste with almost no hop bitterness. Lovely fruity hop flavor. Didn't even know how much of a gem this one is until the first scent of the aroma. Phenomenal!

Bringing the old glass out of retirement...500+reviews and hasn't been used since...its clean don't worry!

Eye: Best pouring beer I've had in ages! Now its a cloudy orange in color and clarity, but the head definitely makes up for it. Two finger head creamy in texture with very nice lacing. Really, what more could you ask for; clarity...well that'd just be filtering out what makes this beer awesome. Head and lacing just stick around forever... can't really ask for much more.

Nose: Very nice citrus aroma from the hops, lemon but lime is key here. Very limey hop aroma. I'm loving this beer already just from smelling it! Really just awesome, I'm getting Kaffir Lime Leaves in the aroma here, I know that its just the hops, but damn! this is flipping great! Off the beaten path here, I mean its not floral, it is citrusy, but of a differnt type-not grapefruit. As it gets warmer some more floral character comes out.

Tongue: Exquisite balance between malt and hops here. Citrusy and orange type notes come from the hops, some lime in there as well. Damn! just overall one of the best beers I've ever had. It is definitely on my top ten list as you should better fucking try this beer! This beer is above all others in its category, it is easy drinking...I mean damn its hard to describe the perfect APA but this is it. Medium Body with appropriate carbonation, bitterness balances malt perfectly but this beer still ends with a hoppy and bitter profile. Everything just comes all together too perfectly, limey citrus type hops and soft bitterness that just does it....The best I"ve ever had!

Drinkability: The absolutely best American style APA I"ve ever had (as if 7-21-13). And I expect it will be quite a while until one tops this. Seriously, if you can find this than get it! absolutely awesome! I wish this beer was always available in my area, too damn bad. First beer in a long, long, long, time that has really reshaped the beer world for me. This has become a standard for me now and I am going to be comparing other beers to this....lets raise the bar!

A - A light orange, amber with a lingering half-finger of creamy head. This appearance of this beer screams "Drink me!".

S - Absolutely awesome! Very citrusy and floral. Grapefruit, tropical fruit, peach, apricot, maybe a hint of sweet malts.

T - Everything is there from the aroma but with a slight hop bitterness. All of the flavors are perfectly balanced. As it warms, the more traditional aspects of an APA come out. Definitely a world-class beer.

M - Medium body.

O - One word: perfect. Zombie Dust is to die for (pun intended). I wish I lived in Indiana.

This is one of the best(if not the best) Pale ales out there. One of my personal favorites as well. Three Floyd's does no wrong. It's so flavorful and refreshing. Tons of grapefruit in taste. I would consider Zombie Dust an IPA, and would put it up there alongside Pliny and Heady.

From the first time you smell the hops in the glass, you know this is a special beer. Yes there is an explosion of hops, although controlled, when you taste it, but the clean mouth feel leaves you wanting more. It is evident why all the reviews are what they are for Zombie Dust across the country at BA and other beer rating sites. This is an outstanding beer that you are bound to enjoy! As long as you like hops... If you don't the it is a wonder why you even drink beer.

Bottled 10/24/14 and enjoyed on 11/4/14. I get a lot of fresh, piney, tropical, citrus and floral notes on the aroma. Dank, fresh hops. Explosion of flavor in every sip to gulp. Beautiful lacing. Not too bitter at 60 IBUs.. juicy!

A: Hazy golden yellow. Not completely clear.

S: The best! Incredible citra hop smell. Can taste it when sniffed.

T: Superb. Punch in the face with hoppiness. Just incredible.

M: Thick on the tongue but not too much carbonation.

O: Nothing like it IPA. I love PTE but so different. Thank God I only live 27 minutes from Three Floyd's!!!

I can't even do the whole M-T-A-O rundown.

I will keep this simple: This is the best beer in America...of any style, period. I've had the Plinys, the RR sours (which are my favorite!), Heady Topper, Lawson's, Hill Farmstead, the rest of the FFF lineup...

Nothing comes close to Zombie Dust. Nothing. I lucked out and got a case last year as I was heading East, but this time I was stuck only having it on tap.

It's a nearly-flawless beer, and nothing comes close. 5/5, every single time.

My new favorite beer. This beer is everything that I could ask for in a brew. Definitely touches a number of different notes that really appeal to my taste buds.

A- incredible golden orange color with enough clarity to know they weren't being lax on the brew process. Head pours small bubbles, which sticks around for the entire time drinking it.

S- Aromatic hops running in the glass from start to finish while drinking it. Usually the aromatics stick around for a minute after the pour, but I found myself going back to the glass to smell it the entire time I was drinking this brew.

T- Amazing! So well balanced with the perfect amount of bittering and aromatic hops. Would say that this brew touches on IPA territory, but reels back in to Pale Ale land.
This has got to be one of the best balanced pale ales I have ever had, but it also pushes the limits of the style.

M- nice coating on the tongue and works its way around the mouth like a great beer should. Great carbonation and nothing too heavy throughout the tasting.

O- Gonna have to go back and re-rank those that I put close to this one. I am putting it up there as one of my favorites of all time. I could drink it all day, yet it has a powerful punch that lets me know I am drinking real beer.

Oh, I seriously love Zombie Dust. It became my new favorite addiction in the short window of time where I was able to enjoy it.

I had it on tap, cask and in the bottle.

I was able to do a side-by-side tap vs. cask comparison. Below are my findings of this highly scientific research:

Zombie dust on bottle

While I couldn’t get a growler of Zombie Dust to go I did score a sixer of this wonderful elixir.
It pours with a golden amber color and great foam. There’s a big bouquet on it of tropical fruit, pineapple and a lemony citrusy hop. The flavor is hoppy without being overpoweringly bitter with a crisp orange-lemony and pineapple floral notes coming across. Lightly bodied, this is all about the flavorful and aromatic hops. Loved it.

Zombie Dust on tap and in cask: a side-by-side comparison.

Tap: This has tight foam atop a clear golden tan color brew. The aroma is intensely hoppy and crisp with an amazing tropical citrusy hop aroma and a light note of toasted straw on the finish. There’s an upfront bitterness with some resin on it. Floral and citrusy with a hint of caramel sweetness and a dry finish.

Cask: It pours an amber-golden color with gloppy, sloppy bubbly foam. The aroma and flavor are both smooth, mellow, even. Warms well with citrusy notes prevalent with a great rounded smoothness. There’s an orange citrusy aroma, more mellow than tap but equally enjoyable. The flavor is likewise rounded and softened, with a smooth resiny/orange/orange peel and marmalade character to it.

Whether on tap or from the cask it is dangerously good and lives up to everything I’ve heard.

Served from a fresh bottle straight from the brewery.

A: The beer pours a hazed golden orange color with a huge off-white/khaki head and nice sticky lacing.

S: Great hop nose to this beer. Big pine and citrus peel. Tons of grapefruit with a little bit of bready malts and a hint of toast and caramel. Mildly grassy on the back end.

T: Mildly sweet malts of bread and toffee. Big citrus peel, pine, and grass hop flavor.

A moderate level of bitterness to it and a hint of fruitiness. Nice solid flavors to the beer.

M: Medium in body with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Really easy to drink and a great flavor and aroma.

Fresh bottle from a local liquor store (the brewpub was out for the day) poured on 10/9/13 into a pint glass.

A - Strong golden, copper hue with a bright, white foam. Very clear as well.

S - Fresh hoppy scent with hints of citrus and spice. Incredibly enticing.

T - Incredibly hoppy with that aforementioned citrus and spice taste. Leaves a mild, bitter aftertaste that keeps you reaching for your next sip.

M - Medium body with a creamy flow. Good carbonation. Pretty much as good as it gets.

O - Incredible beer.

My Updated review gives Zombie Dust a 5.5.
It ain't going down in score I promise that! Cheers!

Can I give a10 out of 5 for the smell of Zombie Dust!
This I'd the most addictive smelling brew I've ever had the pleasure of drinking! ( over and over).

Color is just as it should be, nice head, smooth lines while drinking.

You can smell this beer from 5 feet away, and the smell is Citrus heaven.

Very flavorful, sharp grapefruit, oranges and hops. But not the smack down of sweetness you'd expect.
Finish is smooth as silk and begs you to buy some to take home!
Best overall tasting APA I've ever had!

Thank god for Indiana craft beers!!!

Unbelievable! Drank the first time and second time in a year later and still excel! This is one of the best beer I have ever drank, period. I rarely rated 5 stars, but this one deserves it and won't disappoint you. Amazing to see the low IBU from Zombie Dust and still delivered executing. Would linger on your buds and palate that long. Impressed.

I was at the brewery on 10/3. Got a case that was brewed on 10/2. I have never had it that fresh. it was phenomenal. I had probably had 6 or 7 times prior, but this was by far the best I had

This shows me that the Alstrom Bros are not dialed in. A 90? C'mon man....this is arguably the greatest beer ever made. That is like saying the Godfather is just OK, or that the Brady Bunch Movie has more laughs than Caddyshack. They rated Smuttynose Finest Kind a 100 and this a 90. That is pure comedy! They think Dogfish 60 and Stone are better than this? OMG....absolute comedy. This is a great great beer. Trust me on this. I absolutely love this beer, and I am not alone because this is harder to come by than Pappy Van Winkle 20.

The beautiful pour, the heavenly aroma, and the explosion of flavor of the first sip. The hop profile is complex, deep and compelling. Pine & Citrus, with floral jungle flower undertones....rich color...great initial blast of resiny flavor with a beautiful finish. This is as close to heaven as a brew could get. Absolute perfection and I just wish everyone could try it.

Bottle given to me by backfat. Poured into my Unibroue Maudite Snifter.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, yellow-orange color. Fat inch of off-white foam that reluctantly recedes to a thin layer of teeny bubbles. Incredible lacing sticking to my glass, as if parts of this beer are too good to be consumed. Brilliant.

Smell: Citrus fruitiness wofting out of the bottle pre-pour, and just intensifies once it is in the glass. Inviting aromas of Grapefruit rind and Pineapple erupting from my snifter. Hint of malt hiding in there as well, but this beauty is leaning heavily towards the hoppy side.

Taste: Starts out like I'm chewing on a healthy chunk of fresh grapefruit. A quick flash of sweet maltiness dances across my tongue, and then my tasters are consumed by more resiny hops. The taste of citrus rinds has the final dance here, lingering on my tongue and the back of my mouth for a good long time.

Mouthfeel: Light and airy, with a velvetine smoothness that is breathtaking. Phenominal.

Overall: I must start by saying that I am not a big fan of the "HypeTrain." Time and time again, I am let down because I let Hype tell me that "x" beer will be insanely amazing. This beer lives up to the hype. Easily. I think Three Floyds raised the bar on this style for sure. Definitely gotta grab some of this if you are given the chance. This beer is absolutely fantastic.

A- Bright orange with slight haze. Decent lace with lots of head.

S- Citrus, pineapple and grapefruit rind. Slight mandarin orange.

T- The Citra hops here provide a clear citrusy grapefruit profile. Flavor is fantastic, and the hop bitterness is balanced perfectly to finish with the malt. Pineapple, orange rind and slight, slight pine.

M- Feels fairly dry, with a little carbonation keeping the beer bright. No residual bitterness or hop resin on aftertaste.

O- Best single-hop beer I've ever had. Just a fantastic, well-rounded beer from 3F.

3floyds was so packed at GABF 2015. The line was 20+ deep to get this beer but I waited anyway and OMG worth every minute.

A: has a beautiful golden color with a full foamy head that disapates with time.

S: When i smelled my sample i was hit with a fragrane of citris. Pine needles and orange peels.

T: This beer is made with a single hop (citra hop). When it hits the lips so good.

M: Very fresh and light.

D: Refreshing pale ale could drink for hours on end. Light and smooth.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.