Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,497 | Ratings: 9,637
3.2/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Showed on tap at the brewpub when we got there. Nice surprise, I had a lot of expectations since I love citra and what I’ve heard from it. Aroma: This one is all hops: earthy, citrus and soap. Appearance: Pale orange with small head. Flavors: Light, some tropical fruits. Feels likes there is no backbone. Palate: Quite dry but too watery. Overall: Expectations were not met.

3.25/5  rDev -28.3%

Thanks to a Tsauce2 who got a co-worker of mine a six pack from the 3floyds.

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams Pint glass

Zombie Dust has a glowing orange appearance. The head quickly dissipates and less than a millimeter of foam is left around the edge of the top of the beer.

The scents I've picked up from this beer include lots of citrus fruits, lemon, grapefruit, orange.

Taste is pretty good with only a slight touch of bitterness that doesn't linger long enough to throw off the overall taste of the brew. All the citrus components in the scent are there with the taste as well. The alcohol is hidden very well also.

Mouthfeel is easy going down, very smooth and velvety for an APA.

Overall- I enjoyed this brew but I didn't really find anything too incredibly special about it. I enjoy most of the beers this brewery puts out but all the hype I've heard about Zombie Dust just didn't live up to my expectations.

3.3/5  rDev -27.2%

This is a nice APA, that is very drinkable but there are better American pales out there and for all the hype this beer gets I was thoroughly disappointed. Really nice hoppy nose and good bitterness but the mouth feel and finish disappoint this hoppy pale ale fan. In the end slightly above average 85pt beer.

3.31/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

It's a pale ale. There's not much more that can be said beyond that. Totally drinkable, but nothing special, if I'm honest. One might be better served by a proper IPA like Stone's or, if you're in the Midwest, a Two-Hearted.

3.41/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Perfect, sparkling amber, with a large beige head that leaves behind a nice, thin blanket.

Catty pine and grapefruit aromas--this is kicked up a zillion notches from what one should expect from an "APA"--I don't know how this isn't just classified as an IPA but man is this powerful. There are some funky, musty elements from the hops at time, such as rug, copper, and a little visit from the allium family.

Tastes like grapefruit candy, with cracker and light pine. There is a hint of graham, bringing back some memories of Permanent Funeral, one of my favorites, but it's far in the background. Otherwise, some caramel malt is also present.

Zombie Dust is actually quite balanced compared to the nose, and even a little sweet compared to how I remember myself having it for the first time so long ago, thinking it was such a tongue searing bitter monstrosity. I've had far more imposing hop bombs than this, but it still has a good bitter kick if you're not used to or ready for it.

3.44/5  rDev -24.1%

Overall I was dissapointed. With all the great ratings I wS expecting something exceptional. it is cloudy and very citrousy. It is a good beer, but be ready to pucker up on some excessive hops

3.45/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Zombie Dust on tap at Pony Bar, New York City.

Appearance: Served in an 8-oz glass, the Dust comes with barely any head, and what's there dies almost instantly, leaving only a white rim around the glass. Very transparent amber/orange color. reminds me of Nugget Nectar (but not as good). Low carbonation but great lacing.

Smell: Enticing mild sweetness, floral. Honeysuckle. Some malt, dripping honey. Barbeque ribs and a faint savoriness. A bit of tropics (mango?). Nice enough, but far from amazing.

Taste: Again, rather uninspiring. Thin, watery finish. Alright bitterness all around, with some stinging hops here and there. Dry, tart at the end of the sip. The Citra hops are mellow, hard to discern. A bit of warm orange juice and bread- breakfast beer!

Mouthfeel: Medium-to-low body, low carbonation. Balanced but on the boring side, unremarkable. Booze does come through when warm.

Overall: Drinkable, crisp, refreshing. But... whatever. This sure ain't the best APA I have had. As far as single-hop beers go, I have had better. For an outstanding APA, check out Hill Farmstead's Edward.

---Note: Had Zombie on tap at Three Floyds. Much better, fresher, rounder. Still, not the best APA I've had.

3.45/5  rDev -23.8%

From the bottle, the beer poured a copper color leaving a generous slightly off-white head. The aroma immediately tells you this is Three Floyds. The mildy skunky hop aroma is very present. It made me anxious to experience what the buzz is about Zombie Dust.

The initial taste is slightly peppery, though this quickly yields to citrusy flavors such as orange rind and pineapple. This melts into a dry aftertaste with a mild hoppy flavor. It seemed to me that I have had something like this before. It reminds me of Gumball Head, but without the sweetness of a wheat beer. Of course the hop profile is similar, as it has the distinct Three Floyds Hoppiness.

For an APA, this is a good beer. On the other hand, it amazes me the way this beer is impossible for many people to find. As far as being an APA, there is nothing particularly unique or special. It is a little above average.

3.47/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Maybe it's because I see this beer regularly enough, I don't know, but I don't get the hype. Personally, I like Jai Alai a lot more. Then again, I don't love Hopslam either.

3.5/5  rDev -22.7%

To be fair I do not care for really hoppy beers. If you want a real craft beer from FFF try Ragnarok. Not bad, but just too much hops to malt ratio for my taste buds. Seems after 1-2 years it will age like fine wine. If you like hops offer me a trade!

3.5/5  rDev -22.7%

This beer represents 3 floyds very well, with that citrus undertone, wonderful frothy head, and that perfect orange, lemon zest floral aroma. It's a great beer and after finally acquiring one through I close friend, am please that it's my first review.

In comparison to other pale ales, wonderfully smooth, balanced, citrusy, crisp, but ever so slightly more malty in comparison to other 3 folyds. But to be truthful, doesn't taste much different than gumballhead, which I had just 1 night before. After trying this, I had to crack open a gumball just to do a side by aide comparison because the two tasted so similar from memory.

Side by side, the two different characteristics of each 3 floyds take on each style (wheat & pale ale) are highly evident. The signature floyds citrus is just an underscore and you can pick up both the crisp breadiness of the wheat ale Gumballhead and the cleanly balanced bitterness of the legendary Zombie Dust.

That being said, overall, I'm a little let down. This beer, even in Indiana, is extremely rare to get ahold of. When in stock, its by the 1 or 2 six packs that fly off the shelf. Every craft lover I talk too speaks of zombie dust like it's the loch ness monster of beer; a legend that's rarely been seen. I was expecting something epic, rememberable, and the fact that I had to taste this and gumballhead side by side to tell the difference days something. Gumballs are hard enough to get ahold of where I'm from, let alone this beer, that is with out a doubt, more hype than delivery. It's a great beer, but not the holy Bigfoot x files Grail that, at least in these parts, it's played up to be. Still an easy 7/10 overall.

3.52/5  rDev -22.3%

Enjoyed by me on tap at Chef Paul’s Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, Illinois July 26th, 2012 in the presence of my brother in law Mat. I believe the place had been renamed simply “Bavarian Lodge” but I still refer to it as “Chef Paul’s.” By any name this is a world class BeerAdvocate place. Anyone reading this should seek it out.
Review from notes taken while I enjoyed the beer.

A Moderate light head over a "Miller Lite" body. Really, this is a translucent yellow body. 3.0

S Significant hops to the nose with some malt on repeated sniffs. 3.5

T Well crafted pale ale with significant hops presence and minimal malt buried deep in the background behind the hops. 3.5

M Moderate feel for the style. 3.0

D/O Very good drinkability. I could drink 5 of these. Overall this is a solidly made APA. 4.0

3.53/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I'm sure I'm going to get some hate for this, but here goes. Bottled 29 April, enjoyed 2 June.

Look: Hazy Straw. Nothing wrong here.

Smell: Very fresh, nice for the heat, but not really any fruit notes.

Taste: a bit bready. Good hop presence, but a bitter finish that lingers longer than I would expect for a pale.

Feel: clean and crisp.

This is a fine pale, but when you take in to consideration its rarity versus it's taste (not talking cost) it honestly isn't anything to write home about. If someone offered me one over a bud light, sure I'd take it. But there is a lot of good stuff being produced here in Ohio that I don't have to wait in line for to get that is on the same level. Another good beer from FFF, but definitely one that I would rather trade away than trade for.

3.53/5  rDev -22.1%

Enjoyed this from bottle and keg. Keg was better.

Slight aroma, nice color.
A very drinkable pale ale....clean and smooth.
Didnt linger on the palate as long as I would like.

I liked this beer, but to me, didn't live up to the hype.

3.57/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The colour is amber, the high head is white. Lots of lacing occurs.

The smell is sweet with citric hops, honey, fruit candy and tree sap.

The taste is sweet with some perfume and lots of hops. Medium bitterness. Floral notes and resin. Medium body. Smooth malty aftertaste with green plants, some alcohol. The somewhat harsh finish is sticky with some tree sap.

The carbonation is strong, the mid-smooth bubbles are long-lived. The liquid is somewhat light.

Not bad at all, but not as fantastic as I had expected.

3.59/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This particular bottle was a few days over its two month bottling date. Id like to have a fresh one in the near future. That being said, here is what I thought:

A - Poured a cloudy orange with a very lackluster head, almost non existent. The head there died down almost immediately.
S - A nose full of citrus with mixed fruit, tropical pineapple?
T - Tons of citrus from the get go that mellows after a few seconds to maybe even a very little piney note.
M- There was a medium mouth feel, very smooth and pleasant.
O - Thankfully the flavors were there. This was a good beer, but I have a feeling the fresh one I have next time will really shine. To no fault of the breweries own.

3.6/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to my brother-in-law in Chicago since we don't get it up in MI.

Appearance is a glorious white foamy head that lingers and lingers on top of a sunny orange body.

The aromas of grapefruit, orange, and resin are remarkable with the Citra hops. I love this smell - one of the reasons I love beer!

Taste is all bitterness and hops. There is very little malt to support the hops. Overpowering with bitterness. I was hoping for better balance given the incredibly high rating of this beer, but again the hops are too strong in a Three Floyds beer. Perhaps it simply too much for my tastebuds since my friend loved it. A hop bomb for sure!

Mouthfeel is very dry. The finish is bitter and dry.

Overall this one resembles Gumballhead - I did not have side-by-side, but on different days. The bitterness and the lacking malt to support it are what make these beers good to try, but not must haves to acquire again.

3.61/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Got a bottle of this from a friend who trades all the time. Didn't see a date on the bottle but i think it was old because this beer was nothing special. I can probably name 5 beers in my area that are better (Fresh!).
Hopefully i will be able to try a fresh one some day... but until then this gets an average rating.

3.62/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

a - copper, inch of eggshell foam,
s - distinctly citra, sweet malt
t - hops are dominated by sweeter malts, most prevelant in more recent batches. Used to be much more unbalanced, citra used to shine, feel as if its been balanced with more malt.
m - typical pale ale mouthfeel, nothing of note here.

3.64/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours a cloudy golden/orange color. A two finger thick, white head forms with good retention and lace.
S: Citrus, pineapple, other high alpha acid like aromas. Cracker like malts, lingering bitterness and soapy feel.
T: Citrus and pineapple up front and enjoyable. A strong soapy and oily flavor that reminds me of dish detergent. Faint cracker like malts, and linger bitterness.
M/D: A medium body and crisp carbonation. Again, that soapy and oily character is here which I am not particularly a fan of. Though a nice enough hoppy pale ale to drink on occasion.

A nice pale ale, that is basically an IPA. I have had this many times, and never really understood the appeal. Citra hops are strong for sure, but I am not a fan of the consistent soapy and oil character throughout.

3.64/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

People hella wig on Zombie Dust (and I mean, full disclosure, I do think about that aroma in my private moments), but to me it just don't taste like much. Emperor has no clothes. Still, definitely more Moët bellini than Popov martini and that's no shade, Moët bellini's are for reals tasty.

3.65/5  rDev -19.4%

With the same mythic lore and scant availability as CA's Russian River beers, I knew this was a brew I had to track down. Sadly after several weeks of waiting and checking with my local liquor store I was left underwhelmed. The beer's piny, citrusy, and crisp intro led to a malty, sour finish. On the plus side, the wide variety of taste profiles created by this beer gave it an interesting and distinguishable character. Bottom line is that I had such high hopes for this beer and 3 Floyds was so close to a home run. It also seems they have taken a page out of the California craft brewer's handbook for the price. At $15 a 6 pack they are getting into hallowed ground that should only reserved for well known legends like Ballast Point and Stone. The west coast beer renaissance is slowing diffusing to the midwest and enlightenment is near with product like this. However, they aren't there yet.

3.66/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Expected more. Didn't blow me off my feet like a top 50 beer should. Very generic taste and mouth feel. Other Half superior IPAs to this. Probably getting by on its reputation at this point

3.69/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Was gifted a Zombie Dust by a co-worker. Not usually my type of beer, but I respect a well-made APA or IPA so it deserves a chance.

L -- Poured half-way into my imperial pint: lightly hazy deep gold, with a dense and sudsy white head that holds strong.

S -- Resiny Pine. Done. Okay, maybe some light citrus esters behind all the pine.

T -- Citrus flavors -- peach to grapefruit up front, with a well-balanced resiny pine character back. Ever so light biscuit malts perceived in the back taste and aftertaste, resiny finish into the aftertaste.

M -- Soft and smooth mouthfeel with a dry, bitter finish and hot alcohol notes.

O -- I'd rate this higher if it was listed as an AIPA, but it's just too hop-heavy for me to think about slugging a few down like I would with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It just *might* scare the undead.

3.69/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

To have a beer that is rated so high the expectation is high. I am finding that this is not the case with a lot of hyped up beers. It had a slight skunked smell to it, little bitter note for me. Maybe I had the bad batch. I like APA's and this did not meet the feeling that I was hoping for. Little down on this one.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.