Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,499 | Ratings: 9,691

September 8, 2014

12 oz bottle, weizen glass

A – Pours orange to light amber. Thick finger of head that sticks around for a long time. Mild haze, probably from being poured cold, mostly good clarity otherwise.

S – Lots of lemon and other citrus, a bit of fresh cut grass, grapefruit. A hop bomb. Some malty sweetness on the nose but balanced hard towards the hops. Some malt thickness.

T – Very malty and then the hops take over. Citrus and grapefruit melts into a perfectly bitter finish. A ton of hop bitterness but really well balanced with the malt.

M – Very malty, relatively full body, just a bit of acidity leading into the finish. Bitterness coats the tongue, balanced with malt sweetness. Not a palate wrecker despite smelling like it could be one.

O – Having had this before without evaluating properly, I was pleasantly surprised to remember how well balanced it is. There is a ton of hop flavor, aroma, and bitterness, but does not destroy your taste buds. The malt has a great presence as well and really works together with the hops to create a remarkable beer. Great example of the American Pale Ale style.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Re-review for another shipment fresh from IN

A: golden/lt orange with one to two finger head in pint glass

S: Bright, citrus up front. Great nose.

T: I continue to see why people rave over this one. Crisp, hop forward but the balance of hops is just right with bittering and flavoring. Orange citrus notes balance the bitterness. Not crushing but plenty for IPA fans. Easy to drink.

M: Not to thin--just right. Good carbonation.

O: What can I say that hasn't been said? Closer to a traditional American IPA but who cares what you call it? Wears out other pale ales like Dale's. Fantastic-exceeded expectations.

4.53/5  rDev 0%

Had this right from the tap as it was popped open and let's just say I can see why it gooes so quickly

Appearance:a dark amber honey color, lactated tight white cloud colored head that leaves immedietly

Smell: like a orange grove with a light breeze

Taste: definelty my favorite part, it has great grapefruit with orange peels and little lemon zest

Mouthfeel: wow it is like I am drinking olive oil and water, but in a good way, having this great drink coating my mouth it is like the taste doesn't want to leave and I am ok with that

Overall: I see the hype and glad that a pub across the street from me has this on tap I seriously love this beer I really reminds me of pliny the elder with all the hop oil and bitterness denfintly a must have so much I think I will have a 3rd just cause

4.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Oh my, already smelling citrusy hops before I finish pouring. Vibrant orange body with a golden hue. Body appears thin. Thin head with adequate retention.

S: First noticed a strong pale malt aroma followed by a uniquely juicy fruit hops. Deep whiff is oily/resiny.

T: Pungent, hint of tangerine pucker, softly sweet as strawberries, tropical taste of mango. All the malts do is give strong support to launch such potent hop flavors, definitely strong but not struggling for attention.

M: Slightly dry lingering, seems well attenuated by the higher alcohol and lighter body. Carbonation is subtle but lively. Hop bitterness is mild at most.

O: The beer itself does not blow me away as it is straight forward, not much complexity. However, I am extremely impressed the way the hops are showcased. FFF does something unique in their hopping process that other breweries do not replicate, and that does include the wild hop bombs of Sierra Nevada, DFH, Russian River...

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this in a monster box from Maximumu13. Thanks again.

Poured from a bottle, unknown freshness

A - Significant 3-4 inch head of foam on top of a transparent honey type color. Not much else to say, looks like it should.

S - just tons and tons of floral and citrus hops. Orange and lemon peels, grassy type notes, some really thick juicy type citrus in there as well. Really rich spectrum of smells without being overbearing.

T - Really awesome. Balance! Follows the nose almost exactly, without the grass notes. Basically, just see the smell description. Again, just great balance. Just exactly enough bitterness to make it crisp. This is awesome, you could drink about a million of these and keep enjoying.

M - Nailed it. Medium carb, really get presentation of the hop.

O - Pretty much lives up to the hype. It definitely deserves the top spot among pale ales, as it absolutely nails the style.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

My local liquor store gave me a bottle of Zombie Dust. They have been doing this about every time I go in there because they say I am a good customer. :-) Normally, IPA's, APA's are not on my radar because I normally don't prefer hoppy beer.
I notched my score up because I think someone who does like this style would probably love this beer. The smell is great. It has that grassy hop taste that is common to this style. But there is something silky smooth about Zombie Dust. It's aftertaste isn't just an aftertaste. It's more like this green velvet over coat for your tongue and the roof of your mouth. That's what really strikes me it's not merely an aftertaste but a coating you can feel and taste long after you've swallowed. I've never experienced such an amazing, live aftertaste. Zombie Dust is very hoppy, floral, kind of fruity and very tasty.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first time trying this finally, got a few bottles in a trade. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a clear amber color with a half fingers worth of off-white head that sticks around for awhile.

S- Awesome smelling beer. Instant citrus and pine hop notes upon popping the cap.

T- Very hopped up for an APA. Pine notes carry over in the taste more so than the citrus to me.

M- Medium to high carbonation, bitter with a dry finish, refreshing and extremely drinkable.

Zombie Dust is a great beer, pushes the limit on an American Pale Ale.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Finally got to try a beer I have wanted for a long time.

Def not disappointed.

Look- crystal clear with small white head. Great lacing on the glass
Smell- this is a pale ale, so I did not expect IPA aroma, but it was damn close. Perfect for style.
Taste- Smooth all around. Great lingering citrus taste. Very sessionable beer.
Feel- Creamy mouthfeel. Really goes down nice and easy.
Overall- Usually not a a big Pale Ale guy, but this one is really exceptional. Could pound 5-6 of these consecutively very easily. Worth the hype

4.53/5  rDev 0%

A: A cloudy reddish amber pour, big fluffy offwhite head. Great retention and lacing.

S: Pure citrus. Possibly a little pine?

T: More sweet, delicious citrus up front. Super smooth, creamy almost. Almost nothing past the aftertaste.

M: Medium body, smooth and clean as mentioned. Cannot be understated, feels amazing in the mouth.

O: Hard to describe this one. It's not a super hoppy DIPA or a big roasty RIS. It's just right. It has to be the most drinkable beer I've had. Just smooth, clean with some nice citrus and enough malt backbone to balance it out. I thought Alpha King was the best APA I've ever had but I think FFF has broken their own highwater mark.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My sister-in-law was nice enough to bring me a few of these (fresh) from Chicago. I've always been a fan of Three Floyds, and I was happy to finally try this- it did not disappoint. Beautiful beer, with a burnished gold color contrasted with a stark white head that leaves some decent lacing. Citrus and herbal aromas with a touch of grain. Clean and fresh smelling. The taste is where it's at. Clean citrus and a touch of clean sweet malt. Candied grapefruit peel followed by a long spicy hop finish. All very pleasant and quaffable. I'd drink this all the time if I had access to it.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I definitely have an older bottle.

This beer looks nice, but the bang I was expecting was not there. The smell was severely lacking, the mouthfeel was weak, and the taste was blah.

I don't know if I received a bad bottle, or if my taste has changed due to the fact that I have been exclusively bee drinking stouts over the last couple of month.

I will revisit this review again in the future.

UPDATE - 01/27/15

I finally received a fresh bottle. This deserves the world-class rating. Everything is good to go. The smell, taste, and feel are up there with the big boys.

4.53/5  rDev 0%

A 12 ounce bottle from inlimbo77; thank you very much Bill! Poured into a Deschutes tulip glass.

Pours much darker than anticipated for a pale ale, being a burnt orange, copper color with darker brown/gold hues. About an inch of fluffy, bubbly white head develops, but dissipates slightly faster than anticipated; minimal lacing, but nice legs in the surface of the liquid.

It smells of heaven, if heaven were laden with hops (which I believe it is). Pine, earth, grapefruit, lemon, orange, touches of coriander and spice, straw, various golden grains, and a bouquet of floral aromas all great the nose in the most appealing thing I've encountered in some time. I wish everything I owned smelled like this; I wish I smelled like this.

The taste does not dissapoint. A brief introduction to citrus precedes a near immediate blast of bittering hops, bringing forth the pine, earthen, and floral notes subsequently. Aftert the hops, the citrus reappears in front of the aforementioned grains. Notable traces of the spice from the hops are detectable throughout.

Mouthfeel is spot on; crisp and light on the tongue, a refreshing, invigorating swallow, and clean finish.

Overall, this is much more hopped than I would expect an APA to be (I think this is more aptly labled an IPA). Regardless of how it's labeled, however, this is a damn fine beer that deserves recognition. Make any and all efforts to acquire this one if you enjoy hops.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorites. Pours a orange/amber with a small head. Leaves a nice frothy ring around the glass. Smells amazing. All kinda of citrus and a small amount of grass and pine. Only a little malt comes through, the hops are straight forward. The taste has good citrus qualities, as well. The malt cuts into the bitterness and is balanced nicely. Citrus, pine, and some other tropical fruit come through on the aftertaste. Medium mouthfeel, small amount of carbonation and the taste lingers on the tongue for just a little bit, which makes you want to keep drinking this all day long.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Schlafly snifter.

A - Pours a slightly hazy nice orange color with some nice copper hints. There is a nice 1 inch off-white head that is very dense and sticky. Very nice looking beer.

S - Wow. Sweet mango and tangerines and some nice citra notes. There is some slight pine notes and resiny notes. Aroma is soo attractive. There is some slight malty and bready notes. Very nice toasted grain notes are present.

T & M - Flavor starts off with some nice citric qualities. Very nice orange peel notes with some tangerine and slight mango sweetness. The beer is nice and refreshing. Very light yet flavorful. There is some nice toasty malt grain notes mixed in with the citrus notes. There is some nice slight pine notes in the flavor as well but its mostly a delicious citrus bomb. The finish is nice and bitter with some slight sticky sweetness and resin notes on the backend. Very good brew. Mouthfeel is nice and light with some crisp carbonation.

O - Very good brew. The Citra hops really shine. Good FFF brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: A golden yellow with a minimal ivory head. There is some haze present.

S: Citra sums it up nicely. There are some caramel notes present as well.

T: More hoppy then malty by a long way. Citrus is the only dimension to the hops. There are some pleasant caramel notes from the malts as well.

M: What I would expect a great pale ale to be. High carbonation as well.

O: Great beer. Worth trading for but don't give up too much.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer received in a trade, bottling date unknown. Poured into a small snifter.

Appearance- Creamy layer of head that fades into a thin, eventually-dissolving ring. Head returns willingly with some swirling. Beautiful orange hue is incredibly appetizing. Very nice looking beer.

Smell- Orange zest, lemon rinds, sweet malts, and citra hops.

Taste- Juicy hop fruits explode onto the palate. These are balanced nicely by a nice sweet malt backbone that goes toe-to-toe with the hops. I keep expecting a bitter edge at the end, but it doesn't come. I'm not sure if this is super fresh, but I like it all the same (I love beers with assertive hops and malt bases to back them up).

Mouthfeel- Pitch perfect carbonation levels and the beer rolls around the mouth in a creamy fashion.

Overall- Great beer. Amazing for the style, and I could drink probably 20 in a session (although maybe not at over 6%).

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle: Couldn't take it serious at first.. It brought me back to my POG days and thinking the best looking POG was the coolest.. I was a little apprehensive at first..

Pouring it into the glass I noticed a slight cloudiness (as opposed to the other "greats" I have tried) I was wondering why it was this hue, and then I took a whif.. hmmm.. A bit of stinkyness that draws me in.. Kind of a musty oldness that calls my name...

Once I took a sip, I noticed that it was different than most traditional APA's and its close cousin the IPA.. It stood out.. It had a great aged lemony taste, and as you drink you get that skunky citrus that hit you when you opened the bottle...

Super smooth and creamy on the feel.. So cream and smooth that its weird it doesn't taste like a milkshake.. It is really pleasant on the palate... This is my favorite feature of this beer thus far..

I have a lot to explore in my beer wold. I cant wait to introduce some of these beauties into my new Cafe..

If anyone has some recommendations on great craft beers to bring into Avocado Cafe, Please email me at [email protected]

Cheers.

Fresh 12 oz bottle into tulip

A - Gorgeous. Slightly hazy copper with 1-2 finger white head that lasts forever. The head never fully dissipates, it only reduces to a 1-2mm thick coating on tiny bubble floating on the surface of the beer. Exceptional lacing.

S - Aroma is massively hoppy with grapefruit and pine out the wazoo! Mango and other tropical fruit aromas are included and complemented by a sweet bready caramel malt backbone. Great aroma

T - Such a perfect pale ale, I am floored. Bready and sweet malts meet up with intense citrus hops. The malt profile presents you with rustic bread, toasted grain, and sweet caramel just starting to burn. Hops include grapefruit, mango, and a touch of pineapple. The toasted grain finish is beautiful.

M - Medium body, perfect degree of dryness in the finish. Envelops the entire mouth and engrosses the drinker.

O - This beer is a revelation. I went into this beer thinking it'd just be an IPA with an APA label on it. I was wrong. IT is very much an APA with a more hop-forward profile, but retaining not only a balance with the malt, but also a strong and flavorful malt presence overall.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to awdturboiv, I had this just 7 days after it was bottled. Definitely best tasting single hopped pale ale I've ever had. The only APA that I've had that's been better is HF's Edward, but they are totally different tasting beers with different profiles. The hype surrounding this beer is legit. I can still practically taste it a day or two later. This could totally be a desert island beer for me.

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

Not sure how to rate this beer and I'll explain why...

Let's call this a session IPA in my book and a very freaking good one at that! Good bready bubble gum malt backbone here which "I Guess" gives it credit for an American APA. :-/

A - Blood Orange, not much head to speak of or retention but active in the tulip and Guinness perfect pint I've poured these in.

S - Very unique hop profile here. Like nothing else I've encountered. Straight fresh squeezed Grapefruit Juice and Bubble gum. Nuff said.

T - Much of the same. Very unique flavor and the best word to descrie this beer is as juicy juicy juicy! Enough juicy hop grapefruit flavor here to satisfy the biggest of hopheads! And sessionable to boot! Enough bitterness to keep getting through about 24 oz before it becomes too sweet from the malts...

M - Good, juicy sweet but here is the problem: This beer is GREAT fresh. Within 2-3 months of bottling, I'd bank my next month's rent (I live in SF) that this will become repulsively malty.

O - Let's compare this to the benchmark of the style, SNPA. While having a TON more flavor, I wouldn't want another Zombie Dust after 24 oz. On the other hand, I could drink SNPA until I puke...why, because the of the finish the SNPA provides...dry. Zombie Dust becomes too sweet and sugary, almost overly-so after a few. I'd take a 6-month old SNPA very muchso over a 6-month old Zombie Dust. To Zombie's hype train credit, the only other fresh APA's I'd take over it are RRBC's Row 2/Hill 56 and Drake's 1500 on tap. Drake's is argueable.

Let's give ZD more credit, I need to revisit on tap. Very Very good beer!

Thanks rfraga77!! You, as always are the MAN.

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

This label is amazing, but with Three Floyds you typically get some pretty awesome label designs. The beer itself looks good, but not quite as cool as the label. It's a slightly hazed copper-sunset-gold sort of color, various shades running throughout depending how the light hits it, and the head is fluffy and just slightly off-white.

Aroma? Just freaking amazing. A big, cool, shiny blast of extremely bright and zippy hops. Fallback descriptors like "piney" and "citrusy" just won't cut it here. It's a ton of both, but quite a ways beyond. It's magical, that's what.

Flavor brings things slightly down to earth (or at least, not as far out into the galaxy as the aroma), with prickly yet pleasing doses of mango-like spiciness, grapefruit peel, lime zest, sticky kind bud, dryer sheet, and a certain rye-like graininess that adds its own spicy twist and makes sure some malt character nudges in to the spotlight that shines on the big, bold hops. But with all this "yeah, yeah, hops!!" talk, it's a really well-balanced and even approachable beer. I can see why it's classified as an APA: virtually no alcohol heat, and nothing over the top on either the hop or malt side...just an extremely flavorful and hop-centric beer that happens to have a relatively low ABV. More magic, more magic.

Feel is decent enough, very much true to style, buoyant and lighter body with ample and just-right carbonation. But nothing more to report in this department.

I'm so freaking glad I picked this up during a visit to Three Floyds. They better keep this one on their roster as a permanent deal. Seek it out!!!

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. No bottle date, which is the greatest shame that Three Floyds bears. Thanks to kif for sending a couple of these! My wife loves this stuff just as much as I do.

Appearance - Hazy golden body with a small white head. Retention isn't so great, but the lacing is sticky.

Smell - Citrus hops, whoa. Pineapple and floral hops round it out, but it's a citrus fest. Behind it are some grainy malts, but nothing resembling sweetness. Awesome.

Taste - Orange and grapefruit. Grainy malts in the middle, but again no sweetness. Touch of bitterness, but it's very low. Really delicious.

Mouthfeel - This is my only criticism. It's not bitter enough. I know it's not an IPA, but it's so hoppy that I want some of it to translate into bitterness. Totally light and drinkable. I need more.

Overall - Delicious. It's an IPA, really. Who are we kidding? It would be one of the best IPAs, too. The best pale ale by far (sorry, Peeper!).

look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On tap at 3F brewpub. I'm not a huge fan of the style, but this was a pretty spectacular beer. Beautiful texture, balance and taste. Not at all the hopbomb i expected, like most 3 floyds stuff. So much so, that I brought a case home with me. I'll be having a couple this weekend.

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Can't say enough good things about this beer. Poured out a beautiful light amber color, with a just off white head that left great lacings. Smell was really fruity and made me salivate for it hitting my mouth, which it did shortly.

Things got even better from there. Great fruit flavor, lot of grapefruit, with just a tiny bit of malt to hold things steady. Enjoyed every last drop, shout out to Tim S for including it in a gift bundle.

Will definitely seek this out again. Maybe an excuse to make it down for dark lord day...as if any were needed !

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

Clear orange body with a nice stiff white head.

Tangerine and fruit punch mixed with some heady in the aroma. Damn this smells good. Thankfully the taste delivers. I was scared that the 50 IBUs as listed wouldn't be enough but this beer came through with the citra hop flavor. Lots of dank bitterness and more tangerine flavor. Closing in on Hill Farmstead status but a little unrestrained and wild which is FFF style.

This is the best beer I've had from 3 Floyd's. The major problem I have with this beer is that it's very high in alcohol for a pale ale. The taste totally works but for what it's labeled as I want that sessionability and the abv is just too high. Comes through just a little bit in the taste too. I have to knock it in the overall points because of that.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.