Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,497 | Ratings: 9,639
4.02/5  rDev -11.3%

12oz bottle courtesy of the largesse of @Ri0. My first from 3F, and from the state of Indiana. My second Citra-hopped Midwest pale ale of the day.

This beer was a hazy, orangey amber color, with a big, off-white head that dropped after a few minutes, but left a whole lotta lace on the sides of a Boundary Bay pint glass.

Grapefruity hop nose to this, but not as “juicy” as the PseudoSue I had earlier.

Tasty, grapefruity hops lead the assault on the tastebuds. There’s a little more of a leafy, tea-like bitterness than PseudoSue, and it’s not quite as bright and mango-y, but still very tasty. The finish is a little softer, a little less dry.

Medium bodied, with a slightly creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation seems a tad bit lower than PseudoSue, and the mouthfeel is a little less resiny.

I didn’t plan it this way, but what I’ve wound up doing is a near side-by-side comparison of this beer and PseudoSue. Since there’s no freshness date, it’s possible this is a little older than it’s Iowan rival, but I feel like the latter was brighter, more fruity, and maybe a little more hoppy tasting. This is still a great beer, but based on my experience, I’d pick PseudoSue over this if confronted with the choice. Thanks, Ri0!

4.42/5  rDev -2.4%

On tap at Hopleaf.

Clear copper with plenty of lacing throughout the glass. Dank and tropical nose. Medium bodied at best. Tropical citrus and dank weed on the palate. Grapefruit follows and low bitterness. Crisp and crushable. They should make a lot of it and expand distribution. Good stuff but not mind-blowing.

4.26/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Had this poured into a pint glass. Color was nice, lighter copperish- orange. Flavor was a little lighter than I expected, citrus hops with a short bitter malt aftertaste. Smooth mouthfeel. Overall maybe a bit overrated.

4.49/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours golden, with some cloudiness, and a nice head. The smell is hops. The taste is a very nice, hoppy, malty blend that is pleasant and satisfying. The aftertaste is very pleasant. Overall, one of a handful of great APA's (PseudoSue, Todd The Axeman, Abrasive, Pompeii, Lightspeed)

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Zombie Dust is the beer to have in the Chicago area. Binny's the largest liquor store hear gets it on a certain day and it is gone within a few hours People wait in line ten fold for it the day it comes in. Some of the Binny's locations only allow you to get one beer, but most let you get only a six pack.

The lacing is rather nice. Smells of citrus hops, lemon, lime, orange. Not bitter for a IPA and well balanced. Pours a orange and smells of and tastes of citrus. I am not IPA fan but I find myself always wanting to have this beer on hand despite it being hard to get. Now have over a case as we went to the brewery yesterday and they were selling it like hotcakes out the door and gone in 1 day. Despite not loving IPA I think that this beer is one of the best beers I have ever had.

On tap at the brewpub. An incredible beer! A very complex flavor, nice color, and very nice aroma. This is my favorite beer from 3 Floyds. Highly recommended!

4.21/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.75

Very nice hazy orangish color with a thin head atop. Lots of citrusy aromas and light on the hoppiness. Such a great beer to drink during warm occasions! Probably the most refreshing beer I've tried.

4.27/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A one finger head was poured that reduced to a thin layer. It is a hazy yellow orange color with good clarity and vision of tiny bubbles coming up through the glass. Frothy lacing down the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Lemony, citrus, herbal, pale, toasted, and biscuity malts.

Taste: Would have liked more hop flavor, but content with the way it tastes. Light bitterness and chewy notes in the rear too.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, light bodied, crisp, refreshing, medium carbonation, light light bitterness, and a little chewy.

Overall: Pretty nice APA. Good enough to grab another bottle out of the fridge.

4.89/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a golden amber with streams of bubble ribbons rising to a thick lingering white foam. Cloud-like nebulas float around. It smells of tropical fruit: pineapples and oranges. There's also a fresh-cut grass smell that reminds me of spring, a bit flowery. The taste is refreshing, bursts of juicy citrus along with a creamy sensation reminiscent of piña colada with a piney aftertaste. I try to always have a 6 pack in my Chicago fridge.

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Sunset color but super cloudy. Lots of sediments and as much activity as I've seen in a brew. Fluffy white head that stays for the ride, especially as this beer is tough to put down.

Some citrus and pine, but not a whole lot in the nose. But the taste - lemons, breadiness, bananas, creaminess. Flavors hits in waves and lingers. Crisp bitter finish, with some noticeable alcohol.

Very solid. Lives up to hype. Easily best Pale ale I've had. Which it were more readily available where I am as I would be a frequent purchaser.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

A little more hype than delicious for me. This beer was very good but not one that I would chase down. More malty than hoppy when I had it and it was less than two weeks old.

4.37/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle.

A: Very hoppy; citrusy, slightly tropical fruit-like hops with light malt sweetness on the finish.

A: Light orange/yellow color, totally clear, with a frothy white head that slowly recedes to a film. Lots of lacing in the glass is evident.

T: Clean, bright citrusy hops with a touch of malt sweetness (less sweet than the nose). While hoppy this beer isn’t particularly bitter.

M: Medium-light body with moderate carbonation

O: Looks smells and tastes like an IPA - very hoppy indeed, but without the bitterness. Clean and easy to drink!

3.97/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

I am a huge fan of APA and IPA, usually Citra Hops. I have to say that I do not know what all the fuss is about with Zombie Dust. It's really good, but NOT worth fighting over to get it since it's made in limited supply. A better APA and IPA is Deschutes Fresh Squeezed and my all time fave, Brickstone Hop Skip and I'm Drunk IPA. Much more Citra flavor and aroma.

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bring-on the zombie apocalypse. This one definitly lived up to the hype for me. May be best Pale Ale I've had? Bottled 2/10, providing a beautiful pour into a snifter. Nose is not as pronounced as others but taste is fantastic. This Citra hopped gem is hitting my c-spot. Straight to the dome with my first ever. Too bad this stuff is so hard to come by.

4.17/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I think the hype really got to me on this one. After having a bunch of really delicious citra beers over the last year or so, this one didn't hit the mark for me as much as I expected.

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had a full month after bottling.

Darker color than I was expecting but that is probably due to the age. The smell was like any other good pale ale. Taste was on point and the feel was a little watery tbh.

Would love to try this fresh but even after a month it was very good. I can see why this beer is sought after but to this extent is a little insane.

Good beer though!

4.77/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

-Glowing tangerine color, nice bright white head
-Ripe tropical fruits, slight piney aroma, resin
-Citrus and papaya upfront with an underlying sweetness followed by a citrus fruit rind bitterness. Yum
-Medium mouthfeel that coats the tongue momentarily and finishes dry
-This is my first 3 floyds hoppy brew and I have to say I'm impressed. Now time to have a pseudosue

4.43/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours an opaque orange with a white head, with a good deal of lacing left behind. Tropical, citrus, peach, and apricot form a sweet, but well balanced aroma. Sweet tropical citrus opens up with peach and apricot notes falling in behind. Well balanced, with a little bit of a bitter, piney hop bite at the end. Mouth feel is smooth and mouth coating. Overall, a fantastic pale ale. Very well balanced, with good fruit aromas and flavors.

Served in a 12oz snifter.

4.82/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer has you wanting more and more. Have been drinking this for a couple years now and is always found in my fridge. The ultimate go-to pale ale. Superb!!

4.67/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A good friend gifted me a bottle of the dust. WOW.
So tasty. Wish I could drink this one straight out the tap.

The citrus and resin was super pleasing, and the finish was incredible.

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is one of those brews that I had been in search of for quite awhile and finally got to try it this weekend. It def lived up to the hype. So insanely tasty. Nice golden color but its the flavor that makes this a special brew. Just so nice, super smooth and drinkable. Excellent beer, probably the best Pale Ale I've ever had.

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Sierra Nevada IPA glass. Bottled on 2-22-16, reviewing on 2-29-16

Look: Bright orange appearance. Pours a good 1 1/2 finger head which leaves some lacing as it diminishes. Produces a mixture of fine and large bubbles with a ton streaming from the bottom. Looks amazing in the glass.

Smell: I can smell the hops from the pour without even putting my nose to the glass. Massive hop and citrus aroma on this beer. Smells almost like an IPA but without the sharp bitterness. More of a refined bitterness to the nose that blends well with a small amount of sweetness.

Taste: Taste is bright hops and citrus rind. Hops are unbelievably balanced with the malt sweetness. While the nose had me thinking it was going to be fairly bitter and IPA-esq, I was surprised to find this beer super hoppy without being bitter. An absolutely fantastic, refreshing tasting Pale Ale with everything you look for on the palate.

Overall: I love this beer. While I was expecting a lot due to the hype around this one I was surprised to still find myself extremely impressed. What really does it for me in this beer is the amount of hops present in the taste and aroma but, the lack of bitterness. It has an intense flavor but remains refreshing and clean. Definitely the best pale ale I've had and look forward to picking this up whenever I can.

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 1-20-16

A - heavy pour into a snifter. Slightly hazy copper colored with creamy white 1 finger head. Nice lacing.

S - very citrus-y. Lots of butterscotch maltiness too. Lots of lemon and slightly grassy. Smells very, very sweet.

T - wow. Very good. Such a great meddling of highs and lows in this. I love how drinkable and not in your face it is. Not getting the sweetness that I expected from the nose, but it's in no way a hopped up bomb either. Just a nice drinking pale ale. Well done.

M - Dear God. Creamiest ipa/apa I've ever had. Almost perplexingly so. Is this nitro'd and I just don't know it?

O - very great. I hate to side with hype but this sucker probably deserves it.

Incredible!
I'm lucky I can get it whenever. It will always be in my fridge.
Taste is refreshing and tart, every time I put in down I pick it right back up to get that taste again!
Hard not to drink fast. Perfect color. Smell is wonderful,tons of citrus!

4.4/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look - Hazy in appearance, golden in color
Smell - Lovely aroma of citrus, herbaceous notes, grapefruit, pine
Taste - Follows the nose. Huge herbaceous notes, grapefruit, pine, citrus, dank, pithy

Overall - Been waiting for this one for a while now. Its great but I've had better. And personally don't even think it's 3 Floyds best pale ale. I'd pick Space Station Middle Finger over this any day.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.