Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Ratings: 10,037 |  Reviews: 1,564
4.15/5  rDev -8.4%

Slightly hazy orange color with off-white head. Aroma is quite dank with some vegetal hop notes. Taste starts also quite vegetal and earthy with some nutty malt throughout and medium bitterness on the finish. Medium body and bitterness. Quite good but it think it’s quite overhyped.

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

12oz bottle into my Ithaca glass. It poured a hazy, pale amber color with a frothy, white, half-inch head to it. Good head retention and lacing as I drank it.

The aroma is amazing. It has some huge, fresh, tropical fruit flavors that really jump out at you. Notes of pineapple, peach, mango and orange all come out and mix wonderfully. I'm a Citra lover, and this beer is pretty much as good as it gets for me personally on aroma.

The taste starts out showing more of a bitter, citrus rind, grapefruit like profile to it. As you progress more of the juicy, bright notes of pineapple, peach and mango all start coming out. The finish leaves some sweeter, juicy flavors lingering.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side with carbonation being moderate. Overall it's a fantastic beer. I love Citra hops, so this was right up my alley. It was so juicy and bright and so drinkable at the same time. I loved it overall and only wish I could buy it more easily.

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance: Pours out a clear, deep golden-hued body with a full-sized, foamy, near white head.

Smell: A big burst of raw citrus peelings, resins, and snappy floral hop notes atop a modest layering of unsalted crackers and untoasted bread.

Taste: Crackery, bready malt base lightly brushed with a thin coating of sweet simple syrup. Fresh-cut lemon peel, resinous resins, and fresh, inviting floral hop tastes. Plenty bitter, though not heinously bitterness. Drying at the close with some lingering resinous traces.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: A winsome hop character for a very nice APA.

4.51/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review from notes.

A: Pours a orange color with a one finger off-white head with decent retention. Little bits of sticky lacing form on the sides of the glass.

S: Extremely aromatic. There is a massive citrus/tropical fruit explosion in the aroma. Lots of grapefruit, pineapple, lemon, and a bit of guava even. A bit of pine is mixed in as well as some faint graham cracker malt. Extremely fresh.

T: Certainly citrusy, with some grapefruit, pineapple, and a bit of orange. It does not taste as fresh or come off as tropical as the aroma did, though I wish it did. Very hop forward for an APA, which I am a fan of.

M: Medium bodied, a bit of the thick side for an APA, but drinks smooth and crisp.

O: A very nice beer, but I think I like Alpha King more. I definitely want to give this beer another go though and would love to drink them side by side.

Edit: Had on tap at FFF and bumped scored a bit. Was (4/5/4/4/4)

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received from adamdd. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. No date on the bottle that I could notice, but sure tasted fresh.

Golden yellow/orange color and pours with a little amount of head.

Smells of hops with some citrus. Taste was delicious, but really...nice and clean, not overly hoppy or bitter which I though was great. Beer was well balanced.

Overall looking forward to tracking down more of this beer.

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

shared between myself, calton, rich, scott, zack, and cameron at gbx while stocking shelves. great company and great beer.

pour was a nice light amber with a smooth capping of white foam on the top that went over quite nicely. reached around an inch in height before setting back down and leaving great streaking on the glass. aroma was one of the best i have ever come across. tons of grapefruit, so ripe and fresh with the perfect amount of sweetness to balance it, no lie i was in heaven here. sublime flavor. rich, sweet, mouth watering bitter and juicy hops dash across the tongue and just really open up as it starts to warm. just incredibly impressed here by the entire profile. light dryness and an effortless flavor. quite simply one of the best beers i have ever had by anyone, and possibly the best pale ever.

overall the opinion was shared by all, this was better then most anything i have had in a long, long time.

4.8/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I enjoyed this on tap at Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier VT, served chilled in a tulip.

The color is apricot shade of golden with hazed look and rings of lace cling with white head and fine bead. The smell is great strong citra scent with lots of pine and pineapple with mild zest of citrus with incredible amount of citrus hops in the aroma. The feel is great -just a touch of malt with plenty of hop bitterness and oils with med high bitterness in general and smooth oily dank resinous body with medium carbonation and semi-dry finish.

The flavor starts with citrus zestiness and juicy tropical fruit -mild mango and pineapple flavors give way to juicy grapefruit and light pale malt with subtle herbal and almost grassy accents with pure hop goodness all the way through. Love the fact this has a balance of malt for the style yet not holding back any hop intensity at all with finesse in the flavor. Overall one of the best pales in existence if no THE best - very worth with the emphasis on Citra making for a enjoyable flavor from first sip to last with citra essence in each taste -incredibly drinkable.

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

Fresh bottle opened Oct 2013

A - Beautiful copper body with a chunky, towering, neon white cap of foam. Outstanding retention and lace.

S - Bright, fresh hop cone nose. Extraordinarily fresh and light. Thyme, hint of bitter rose water, wild flowers, touch of lemon zest, dried grass.

T - Outstandingly fresh herbal and mildly citrus hops load onto your palate and finish with a light bitter backend. Just a touch of clean malt sweetness helps frame the hop profile and does an great job of staying out of the way, letting the quality of the hop character really shine.

M - Medium-light frame is perfect for the style. Nice carbonation.

O - While not necessarily the best beer I've ever had, Zombie Dust is hands down the best pale ale I've had the pleasure of trying. This beer is a near perfect balance of fresh hop cone flavor, restrained malt sweetness, and balanced alpha oil bitterness that makes a pale ale a pale ale and not an IPA.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From 04/30/11 notes. Had on tap at Dark Lord Day at the brewery.

a - Pours a light hazy orange color with an inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, oranges, grapefruit, fruity malts, tropical fruits.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, grapefruit, fruity malts, tropical fruits, pine hops.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Smooth and very easy to drink.

o - Overall a great APA; up there with Alpha King. Glad they're going to start bottling it, would love to have it again.
___
EDIT: 01/26/13

I've had this many times over the years, and every time it's been better since that DLD. Super easy to drink and one of my favorite APA's ever...bumping it up a bit.

4.23/5  rDev -6.6%

Growler courtesy of Iain. Thanks!

A: The beer pours a hazed golden orange color with a huge off-white/khaki head and nice sticky lacing.

S: Great hop nose to this beer. Big pine and citrus peel. Tons of grapefruit with a little bit of bready malts and a hint of toast and caramel. Mildly grassy on the back end.

T: Mildly sweet malts of bread and toffee. Big citrus peel, pine, and grass hop flavor. A moderate level of bitterness to it and a hint of fruitiness. Nice solid flavors to the beer.

M: Medium in body with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Really easy to drink and a great flavor and aroma.

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

My utmost thanks to my local trader, tone 77, for somehow scoring an ADDITIONAL bottle to pass on to me! My jaw hit the floor when I began going through his latest goodie bag and if he needs references, hopefully mine will suffice.

There was no gushing when I removed the cap, but there was a finger of thick, tawny head by the time that I finished with the pour. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose was rich with citrus - grapefruit and orange in abundance. Mouthfeel was medium to full with a citrus intensity on the tongue that killed off all of the weak taste buds that got in its way. I felt like the fellow in the old Maxell tape commercial - blown back in my seat by the intensity of the experience. The finish was literally breathtaking - I really felt as though my breath had been taken away for a second or two after the swallow. The next thing to hit was the intensity of its dryness as I tried to catch my breath. The hops were toying with me to see if I measured up and I was doing my best to rise to the challenge. I suppose that my loss means that I will be transformed into a zombie at some point, but if a transformation must take place, better in my mind to be a zombie this way than a Cyberperson via a Minhas product.

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%

Big thanks to Deuane for picking me up a growler of this one during his recent trip through the brewpub.

A - Pours slightly hazed golden orange with a nice one finger tall white head leaving

S - HUGE amounts of grapefruit throughout this one. Tons of oily citra hops dominate the nose with a bit of lightly toasted sweet caramel malt hiding in the shadows. The second we cracked this growler I could smell it from across the room.

T - Starts off with a huge, oily, citric hop bite quickly giving way to a mix of strong tropical fruits like grapefruits, pineapple, and oranges. Once the hop resins die down you get a bit of the chewy, lightly toasted, caramel malt but this one really is all about the hops. The alcohol is nearly undetectable, only coming through at the very end of each glass. The finish is a mix of citric hop oils and some light chewiness, lingering for some time.

M - Medium-Light body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Lots of hop oils and some light chewiness in the feel, lingering through the finish. Even with all these hops it remains quite light.

O - Well that growler disappeared pretty damn quick. I could drink this one all day, every day, it is that good. The citra hops are the perfect choice for this beer and this is easily one of the best hop-forward pale ales I have ever had.

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.69/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.18/5  rDev -7.7%

Served in a shaker pint glass at The Firkin.

Missed this one before, but now I get to try it on cask. Second chances rock. It pours a clear, bright, lemony straw topped by a finger of cream-white froth and populated by some minor floaties. Were it not for that last bit, this would probably look damn near perfect. The nose comprises orange zest, grapefruit, lemon zest, apricot, very light leek, and mild caramel. The taste holds notes of orange zest, orange rind, lemon peel, grapefruit (both red and white), light pine, mandarin orange, and some even milder caramel than before. The body is a rather light medium, with a very light carbonation and a rich, smooth feel. Overall, a very nice APA. I probably didn't think as highly of it as many, but it is a damn fine beer, let me tell you.

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. No bottle date, which is the greatest shame that Three Floyds bears. Thanks to kif for sending a couple of these! My wife loves this stuff just as much as I do.

Appearance - Hazy golden body with a small white head. Retention isn't so great, but the lacing is sticky.

Smell - Citrus hops, whoa. Pineapple and floral hops round it out, but it's a citrus fest. Behind it are some grainy malts, but nothing resembling sweetness. Awesome.

Taste - Orange and grapefruit. Grainy malts in the middle, but again no sweetness. Touch of bitterness, but it's very low. Really delicious.

Mouthfeel - This is my only criticism. It's not bitter enough. I know it's not an IPA, but it's so hoppy that I want some of it to translate into bitterness. Totally light and drinkable. I need more.

Overall - Delicious. It's an IPA, really. Who are we kidding? It would be one of the best IPAs, too. The best pale ale by far (sorry, Peeper!).

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.