Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,528 | Ratings: 9,863
4.11/5  rDev -9.3%

As soon as I opened the bottle there was already a very clear hop smell, very much like an IPA which scared me a little as IPA's are the one type of beer so far that I don't like.
Once poured into a glass the beer has a really pretty dark honey colour with a small white head.
The smell still has loads of hop but I can also smell lots of tropical fruit and citrus in there with some hints of pine.
The taste is a little less hoppy than the smell although the hop bitterness is still there, especially at the start. The fruitiness is also more present now than it is in the taste, strong citrus and tropical fruit flavours once the initial hop bitterness fades. It ends dry and bitter with a bit of a pine flavour coming through.
Medium bodied and I would have liked a little stronger carbonation but it's not a big problem.

Overall I went from anxious when I opened the bottle to being very pleased with the complexity of the taste once I got used to hops.
It's not going to be one of my favourites as I'm much more of a fan of malts than hops but it's a really good beer.

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Super special thanks to Robbiemoy13 for this special beer.
Poured into tulip.

A- Slightly hazy rich orange pour. Finger width soapy white head that recedes to a thin ring leaving glued on the glass rings of lacing.

S- Massive amounts of citrus; Grapefruit, mandarin oranges with a slight peel aroma. Citra gives off somewhat of a soapy aroma this is present in this beauty. There is a real astringent pine presence that is just magnificent.

T- Wow.. There is a wallop of citra blasting at you. Grapefruit, mango, mandarin oranges, lemon peel and a definite "soap" I honestly don't know how you can consider this a pale ale. It has the illusion of an over hopped IPA.

M- Slightly thin bodied which is par for the course. It is slight oily from the hops. Just wonderful feeling.

O- This really is remarkable. It never ceases to amaze me the limits brewers will push. I've been assaulted by citra yet my palate is fried for the night.

4.77/5  rDev +5.3%

Bottle to Founders tulip.

A - Light to medium orange with a huge golden glow. One finger of cream coloured head with moderate lacing.

S - A huge hop aroma is evident even before putting my nose to the glass. Grapefruit, mango, tangerine, pineapple and a nice fresh, juicy hop aroma.

T - A sharp bitterness up front that really stands out while staying true to a pale ale style. Grapefruit, orange zest and lighter lemon and mango flavours. The malt base provides a hint of sweetness. The finish is bitter and dry.

M - Medium body; slightly creamy. Light to moderate carbonation.

4.05/5  rDev -10.6%

Thanks to my beer buddy Eric for GIVING me a bottle since I've been soooo unlucky in my quest for this beer.

Clear copper in color Good head and a constant foam for all twleve ounces. Nice stickage too. OK bubbling.

Super bright citrus aroma, Citra hop showcased
well. Maks me think nof a mango and grapefruit had a babay, thats what it would smell like. The Citra hop dominates the aroma completely. No room for any malt aroma here. Not a bad aroma, just a little overwhelming.

Full on tropical fruit (mango, pineapple..), pine, and grapefruit hop flavors. Maybe some biscuits popping up here and there in the flavor profile. Good hop flavor, just a little overwhelmed.

Resiny palate through and through. This citric flavor bomb is very easy to drink and worth drinking a few at a time, but not too many for me. My palate would be overwhelmed with citrus for weeks.

4.17/5  rDev -7.9%

Some things arrive in the darnest of places. In truth, I already knew that there were a few bottles of Zombie Dust at the apartment I was staying at in São Paulo, so I wasn't too shocked. A big thanks to Sergio (srbcurti) for sharing one of the bottles. On to the beer:

Brilliant orange color that lights up the room, topped by small puff of head. The nose is a beauty, no question. Bitter grapefruit starts off the show, then generous doses of mango and tangerine arrive with a thin coat of sugar coating.

Zombie Dust is like running water through hops. It's quite bitter for an APA. White grapefruit starts it off. Bitter citrus, pineapple, and a dose of resin compliment the profile. The bitterness does tail off some, while makes it slighty more "juicy". It's medium bodied, with avery pleasant "bubbly" sensation, NOT like a champagne however, a different type.

An intense hop experience. It is good, but not great as expectations led me to believe. I like my pale ales just a little more balanced than this. But it sure was fun to try!

4.89/5  rDev +7.9%

12oz. bottle purchased at Three Floyds brewpub, Munster, IN, served into a hotel stemless wine glass.

Pours out the color of honey. 1.5 fingers of eggshell head form but fairly quickly dissipate. Dots of lacing get left behind. A good-looking beer, but nothing extraordinary.

Thankfully, you need only go as far as smelling this beer to find extraordinary. The aroma is fantastic in every sense of the word. If you smelled this blind you'd say that it was a very fresh IPA. Maybe more; this basically smells as good as HopSlam. But it is, ostensibly, an American Pale Ale. My mind is blown here. As soon as I opened the bottle there was pineapple and tangerine and passionfruit everywhere. It's very tropical. There's some green, bitter hop notes too; like grass clippings with some lemon zest tossed in. There's some caramel malt too, but only as much as I'd expect in an APA. It's an amount that bolsters the tropical fruits rather than takes away from them. I realize that a lot of beer probably fit the description I just gave. I'm not sure how to convey how great Zombie Dust smells. It's the intensity of the tropical aromas but also the level of balance. This is the finest smelling pale ale I've ever had.

It's also the best tasting pale ale I've ever had, or if it is not then only Alpha King ranks ahead. I'm going to give it to Zombie Dust. Alpha King is all about the grapefruit, while Zombie Dust is pineapple and lychee. If you prefer more tropical flavors, then this beer is going to blow your mind. Imagine all the best parts of a double IPA but take away the malt and alcohol. That sounds awesome, right? This is so packed full of hop flavor. But it doesn't get too bitter because there is a healthy malt presence here. In the way that I wish more IPAs or IIPAs would be: enough malt for structure and support, but not at all ""balanced" in the traditional sense of being as strong as the hops. This beer is a revelation.

The mouthfeel is nearly perfect. Great carbonation level -- it's there but it isn't too prickly. The body is super-thin. Well, no, it's very appropriate for the pale ale style. It'd be thin in a good way if this were an IPA. Regardless, the mouthfeel does everything that it can to highlight those hops. My only fault is that it thickens up a bit during the swallow.

Overall? Wow. If I have a better beer in 2012 then I will be a lucky man. This is the pinnacle of the pale ale style for me. I'd rather drink this than ANY India Pale Ale. The only hoppy beer that I would reach for before this (that I've had), honestly, is Pliny the Elder. Zombie Dust absolutely brings IIPA flavor into the best malt package possible _for my palate._ This is a dream beer.

4.84/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours out a golden-orange body, with a scant, dirty white head. Leaves pools of bubbles on the edge of the glass.

Tons of peach and tropical fruit on the nose. Citrus, pitch and spice as well. A wonderful bouquet on this one!

Very juicy fruit flavors: peach, tangerines and papaya. Nice amount of floral earthiness. Light spices and pine. Caramel malts give this beer a great balance. Smooth and crisp.

Easily one of the best (if not the best) pale ales out there. Wish I could drink this every day.

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to forrestbetts for sending me a bottle of this!

Pours a clear honey orange with a 2 inch foamy orange-white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy broken rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is fantastic with huge tropical fruit, citrus fruit, and citrus zest aromas. Taste is also very tropical and citrus fruit forward with a citrus zest finish. The bitterness on the palate is fairly mild and sticks around but that's not a bad thing at all. This beer has a crisp level of carbonation with a very bubbly mouthfeel. Overall, this is simply a fantastic beer that beautifully displays the Citra hops in aroma and flavor. I am very happy that I finally got to try this one. This is one of the few beers that I would consider buying again and again if it was distributed near me.

4.4/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks chanokokoro for a 6 pack of this. Poured into a Weyerbacher tulip 2/26. From the latest batch I was told. Certainly seems fresh and delicious.

A - Crystal clear honey/orange color. Nice head that sticks around with great lacing. The carbonation is noticeable coming off the bottom of the glass. Looks really excellent, especially for an APA.

S - Smells like straight up fruit juice with some bitter hops. Like orange and all kinds of citrus. I've never had a brew dominated by citra hops before, and I really could see myself trying to make one if I ever get into homebrewing. Behind Heady Topper and a couple DIPAs, this is probably the best smelling beer I've had.

T - It tastes very citrusy and juicy. Bitter at first, followed by carbonated fruit juice and sweet malt, and followed by a nice dry finish. This is some excellent stuff. This destroys any APA I've had and would probably beat out any IPA I've had. This really could be considered either. If you are into citrusy IPAs, you will not be disappointed by this.

M - The mouthfeel is very smooth. At 6.2%, you can't taste the alcohol one bit. The bitterness really makes your mouth water.

O - This is the best APA/IPA I've ever had. I've had better DIPAs, and I really don't like to give out perfect 5s, which is why this is staying below that level. For the style, which is very key here, it is mindblowing. To get a better hop forward beer than this in my opinion, you'd need to have a top notch DIPA like Heady Topper, PtE, or another FFF brew Dreadnaught. It's really some spectacular stuff. I really wasn't expecting an APA to be this great, but I'm so glad I had the opportunity to receive this in a trade. It's too bad I only have a few left, because I'd drink this all the time. Gets a 5 overall because I think, for the style, this is as good as it gets.

3.9/5  rDev -13.9%

Received a bottle in trade from DaBubs and one from dwbrews, thanks guys! Bright orange color, a little lace. This had a, not bad a very hoppy smell like fruit, smelled good. Flavor was more hops, fuzzy peaches actually. This was a good beer and I wouldn't say it was an IPA but I would say it was very one dimensional and so I probably wouldn't revisit it. Still, I was very glad to have had the opportunity to drink this.

3.45/5  rDev -23.8%

From the bottle, the beer poured a copper color leaving a generous slightly off-white head. The aroma immediately tells you this is Three Floyds. The mildy skunky hop aroma is very present. It made me anxious to experience what the buzz is about Zombie Dust.

The initial taste is slightly peppery, though this quickly yields to citrusy flavors such as orange rind and pineapple. This melts into a dry aftertaste with a mild hoppy flavor. It seemed to me that I have had something like this before. It reminds me of Gumball Head, but without the sweetness of a wheat beer. Of course the hop profile is similar, as it has the distinct Three Floyds Hoppiness.

For an APA, this is a good beer. On the other hand, it amazes me the way this beer is impossible for many people to find. As far as being an APA, there is nothing particularly unique or special. It is a little above average.

4.77/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

Amber hugh, pours big then settles quickly. Looks like an ipa or pale ale.

Bread, slightly sweet with some mango and pineapple overtones. Love the hop floral aroma. An oversexed pale ale on the edge of ipa territory. The aroma is very much like the taste. Very crisp and effervescent at the start, hops in the middle then clean finish. Balances on the edge of hopiiness and very drinkable.

This is the best pale ale by far. If I could get this beer regularly, it would be a standby drink anytime beer.

I like Dales Pale Ale an Daisy Cutter but this one just has an extra edge of hop aroma and flavor and complex flavor to make it unique in this style.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottled on: ?? (No bottle dating WTF)
(192 calories)

Graciously given to me by Rochefort10nh, thanks man..

The appearance shows a nearly clear deep golden color with a frothy white head. Loads of lacing cling to the glass and tight rows of bubbles flow freely to the top.

Aroma is wonderful and full of citra hops followed by caramel malt and faint biscuit. Smells like a tropical buffett.

The taste is full of pineapple, grapefruit, lemon peel and a hint of caramel. Full of citra flavor but balanced nicely with sweetness. Very tastey, I could drink this all day.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a soft carbonation feel. Starts out smooth and creamy but in the end the true feel of bitter/dryness takes charge and begins it's assault on the tastebuds.

Overall an excellant example of the style and one I'm happy to review. My first experience with this beer was with Heady topper and Abner so my tastebuds were fried and didn't give it a fair shake. If you dig citra hops, than this ones for you. Definitely one of my favorite APA's to date. Nice job!

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

First of all, thanks to Jackie for the bottle.

Poured out of 12 oz bottle into CBS snifter.

A) Amber with haze. There was a full finger of head, which settled to a dusting. There was plenty of sticky lacing all over the snifter.

S) Absolutely top notch aroma. This had all kinds of sweet fruity quality. I was picking up really ripe peaches, white grapefruit, just a nice tropical blend. For me this was perfect.

T) Good malt/hops balance. The flavor is not as sweet and fruity as the nose, but it is tasty. There is definitely a grassy, piney, citrus rind to the finish and aftertaste. No alcohol noted. Really good...

M) More or less a medium body brew with moderate carbonation. There is some pine and rind tingle. It's pretty crisp and certainly refreshing.

O) This was really frick'n good. I could drink this anytime, but I'd love to have a nice stash of it for the summer. Cheers....

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

Picked up several of these in a trade, sent fresh and quick.

This may be my new gold standard of pale ales. Beautiful golden color with ample head and great retention. You can smell it from the moment the cap comes off and it blows up in the glass. Gobs of citrus hop aromas. Taste matches the rest: crisp, refreshing... just ideal. The only (very minor) drawback is that it's a bit drying on the finish, but that just means you have to drink some more.

If this were available to me year-round, I'd always have some on hand.

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

A- poured a clear dark gold.
S- some hops and some pineapple, simply amazing
T- Hops upfront, with a nice subtle sweet taste in the middles, the bitterness comes back, but it is a very very nice bitter
M- tingly and carbonated, it's great
O- One of the best beers I have ever had, it is incredibly drinkable. If you can get your hands on it, you will not be disappointed

This is the best beer that I have ever had. Definitely try it if you are lucky enough to.

Three Floyds only produces a limited amount and the supply frequently gets exhausted so if you see it, buy it! It gets sold out all the time for good reason. Best beer ever!

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%

A- Easy two fingers of wedding lace head develops, sticky lacing gives a fantastic full ring around my tulip. The vision is a bit cloudy, mostly visible to light but what is awesome is the individual bubble cascades rising. They give this idea that its the perfect carbonation for a Pale Ale but not overly done. The retention time is BLAM SLAM dunk.

S- Tangerines, gentle pine breezes, citrus, grapefruit, lemon rind, lemon pulp. Its strong, its pleasant, it never overattenuates or bitters up. Its gentle, its forceful, its a lover who has never been scorned.

T- First pleasant flavor is a citrus burst. Orange juice with a biscuit middle. Its tropical... peaches, mangoes, a bit of pineapple. As it goes toward the finish its a mild bitterness that rises. The finish itself is a hidden rising of simple bitterness that is central to my tongue. Near perfect bitterness. The only thing that could make this beer better is a more filling middle.

M- Full bodied, smooth, creamy middle, bitterness that you can't argue with. Lingering, strong, velvety smooth and crisp right off the start that transitions to just velvet smoothness.

The best pale ale I've ever had. Arguabley will ever have.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

this brew was procured today during a road trip to indiana. the pour revealed a clean and clear amber colour with light and lazy carbonation. a large white head billowed out and remained a quarter of an inch thick throughout as well as coated the edges of the glass in thick layers of lacing. just a gorgeous puddle.

the nose is zesty with grapefruit lemon peal coming to mind. very citrus heavy with some light pie crust notes as well.

the taste is fantastic. the citrus character shines through big and it actually stings with acidity. a zinger for certain. the malt flavours are very subtle and this seems more like a deliciously bitter juice with just a hint of the aforementioned pie crust being the only notable malt descriptor. nary even a touch of caramel.

the body is perfect. for something so light on malt flavor and without any telltale caramel tones that give away the secret of bodybuilding, this somehow has a body and remains subtle and completely hop highlighting.

overall this beer is very nice. this style seems to fall by the wayside these days as IPA is quite similar to APA and also seems quite fashionable. this APA as well as the Floyd's flagship brew are both spectacular examples of how uniquely the style can be expressed to show contrast to the IPA and in quite delicious fashion. glad i had a chance to dance with this one.

4.55/5  rDev +0.4%

Beer poured from bottle into a stemmed Stella Artois tulip-shaped glass

A - Body has a light amber color; clear; well-carbonated; nice and frothy looking head, about one finger in size; white head; head holds very well; small amount of lacing formed around the edge of the glass

S - Citrus; roasted malt nose; heavy hop scents; tropical fruits; hay and straw; lemon; orange and pear

T - Strong citrus hop flavor; quality roasted malt flavor; lemongrass tart taste; straw; traditional pale malt taste, accompanied by heavy bitter hop flavor

M - Smooth; slightly bubbly lingering hop bitter taste; lean and thin body, kind of watery

D - This is what an APA should taste like; smooth malt flavor and heavy citrus hop overtones; what more could you ask for

4.15/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a clear golden orange color with a decent size off-white head that dissipates leaving nice sticky lacing.

Aromas begin with huge citrus, both juice and peel. Tons of grapefruit with a little bit of sweet, toasted bready malts. Mildly grassy on the back end.

The tastes begin with sweet malts, light toasted bread. Big citrus peel, pine and grassy hop flavor. A moderate level of bitterness to it and a hint of fruitiness. Nice solid flavors to the beer.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a medium level of carbonation. Finish is mildly sweet and dry thanks to the ample dry-hopping I'm assuming.

Overall, this is a very easy to drink beer with great full flavors and aroma profile. While a pale ale it is not because in my opinion a pale ale shouldn't be over 6% ABV, it is a great IPA or just a great beer in general. Dangerously drinkable and full flavored. Glad I was able to track down a 6-pack for myself. Do I need to have it again, no. Do I hope I have the chance, yes of course. Definitely recommended though.

4.12/5  rDev -9.1%

12oz bottle into a tulip

A: Pour golden orange with a nice off-white head that fades to a ring and leaves some decent lacing on the glass.

S: The nose has beautiful aromas of grapefruit, tropical fruits, and a slight onion aroma (not sure if it's onions but it's definitely dank). This smells like Dreadnaught mixed with Gubna which is impressive from a 6.2% beer.

T: The taste is sweet at first with caramel malt and tropical fruits but there is a nice hop bitterness on the mid-palate and finish. Great tasting Pale Ale!

M: The feel is actually heavier than I was expecting. Medium bodied with a nice creaminess.

O: One of the better Pale Ales I've had but not the best. I'd like to try it fresh on tap before giving final judgement though as the aromas and flavors seem to indicate the possibility of greatness.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle shared by Huhzubendah- Thanks Matt!

Pours a nice orange color in my tulip glass with an off white head. Good lacing on my glass. The nose has a very nice citrus vibe to it, along with caramel malt. Amazing taste to this brew- Hops, pine, w/ a nice malt backbone. Really incredible flavor for a pale ale. Feel is medium, w/ a nice hops bite. Overall, an another amazing FFF brew. Really enjoyed this one.

4.01/5  rDev -11.5%

Recent review: 17FEB12, 3/4.5/4/3.5/4 (4)
Okay, I'm gonna give this another fair and balanced review:
Bottled: recently I'm assured
Pours a golden ale with a finger of off white soapy foam that falls to a broken sheet of the same leaving some spotty lace. I am reserved about smelling....Alas, the smell I remember, lemony, citrusy zest and a hint of peach. So nice. Flavor follows suit with just a hint of alcoholic sharpness. Finish is sweet and juicy. Medium on thin with moderate carb and a watering finish. Much better this time around. Gotta say, this beer MUST BE FRESH, so far as I can tell.

Original Review: 11NOV11: 3/1.5/1/2/1 (1.3)
I’ve had this beer out of a growler, and it was one of the best APA’s I’d ever had. Too bad the transition here was flawed....heavily.
Bottled: unk
Pours a yellow straw with foam which falls rather quickly to a mirror of the same. Smells like: citra, grapefruit, citrus, more citrus?...NOT AT ALL!!! This smells like band aids and onions. Wow, god awful. Then the flavor is brutalized as well. Bitter, astringent, nasty. Body is fine beyond my clinching jaw. This beer is ruined for me. WTF happened to this bottle?!

4.16/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Finally made the journey to 3F. In Chicago for business and made the trek south. Had this on draft and picked up a 6er to go - bottled the same day, so uber fresh. I've had this beer before but wanted to update my rating. Still not sure why it's rated so high - big fan of the beer, looks great, smells great, taste is very good, but not great.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.