Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Ratings: 10,003 |  Reviews: 1,557
4.65/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

First off, I do not like IPAs, review comes from a stout lover, was fortunate enough to get my hands on a bottle of this 2014 ZD.

Beer pours a nice clear orangy golden yellow with decent amount of head and lacing. Not too murky, probably on the darker side given the style.

On the nose it just smells like sweet hops, really citrusy, sweet, delicious. Simple but amazing.

Flavor wise, it starts off with a tiny hoppy bite, I'd say more like a nibble. Then the sweet citrusy hops just take over and wash all that away. Its not a very complex beer, but man the hops are killer. Definitely critus flavor domination, not much florally hops going on at all. Also, not bitter at all.... I really don't normally like hoppy stuff that much but this beer has changed my mind a little bit.

Mouthfeel is incredible too, this beer goes down so easy and so smooth. Its so wet (not dry at all), fruity and sweet its almost like a candied beer. Every sip you take just beckons you to take an even bigger swig each time. I finished mine extremely fast, rest of my buddies were still sipping theirs and mine was done, I'm usually about halfway done with my drinks when people are finished. I kind of wish I had savored mine more...

This is a case of doing something really simple, really, really well. A finely crafted brew for sure, would definitely snag this again if I had the chance.

4.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I definitely have an older bottle.

This beer looks nice, but the bang I was expecting was not there. The smell was severely lacking, the mouthfeel was weak, and the taste was blah.

I don't know if I received a bad bottle, or if my taste has changed due to the fact that I have been exclusively bee drinking stouts over the last couple of month.

I will revisit this review again in the future.

UPDATE - 01/27/15

I finally received a fresh bottle. This deserves the world-class rating. Everything is good to go. The smell, taste, and feel are up there with the big boys.

4.21/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Felt good on the tongue and not a sharp aftertaste. Overall look and smell were pleasant, poor was smooth and decent head out of the bottle. All around a good beer for partying with, although availability and overall cost was a bit of a downer. All in all a good beer with a high price tag.

3.25/5  rDev -28.3%

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.