Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,517 | Ratings: 9,795
4.03/5  rDev -11%

12oz bottle poured into a Deschutes tulip

A: Pours a hazy golden amber color with a 1finger white head. Minimal retention and lacing.

S: Citrus! Maybe a hint of pine/resin and some spice, but mostly citrus.

T: Piney/resiny hops up front maybe some sweet caramel malts in the middle with a light citrus finish.

M: Medium body and carbonation.

O: Not a bad APA. This beer smells great but the taste doesn't line up. I prefer the readily available Alpha King to this. For a Citra bomb, there are better options. Many thanks to Rochefort10nh for the trade.

4.92/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a nice dark straw color slightly amber. Incredible nose to this beer when it's fresh, beautiful citrus, fruit and floral notes with some sweetness, kind of like a nice mountain breeze, I could almost just sit here all day and smell the nose, had I not then tasted how ridiculously good this beer is next. The taste is so well balanced with the hops it makes this by far the most drinkable beer I've ever had. Sweet but not too sweet, bitter but not to bitter. The malts are a slight caramel mixed wonderfully with citrus notes of the hops. Just an incredible example of the pale ale category.

4.17/5  rDev -7.9%

On tap at Hunahpu Day. Review from notes.

Poured a nice strawberry blonde with maple tones. Huge hop floral nose. Tropical fruits, grassy/herbal notes, grapefruit rinds. Very light malt background. The grassy/herbal bitterness dominates the flavor however. I would have preferred more of the fruits. Regardless, a nicely made pale ale.

Thanks to nasty31 on the trade. Poured into a tulip

A - Cloudy dark gold in color with one finger of head. Decent retention

S - This is one of the best smelling beers I've ever had. Tropical hoppy glory

T - Juicy and hoppy up front and balanced and very sweet, wet finish.

M - Perfect mid level of carbonation with a smooth, refreshing finish.

O - Hands down the best APA I've had and easily in my top 5 beers of all. It lives up to the reputation and at $35/case, I don't think I'd buy much else if I lived near FFF.

Recieved in a trade with Chicago John, thanks buddy for the ample stash of ZD. After reading so much love for ZD I am stoked to finally sit down and sip a few. Poured into a tulip. Maybe the best looking brew I have seen, sunset orange with super thick sticky two finger bright white head that clings to the glass leaving beautiful lacing. The nose, maybe as good or better than Kerns Citra, I can just happily sit here and smell this for hours, tropically dense from the Citra, amazing. The flavor profile is citrusy, sweet, balanced, and a tad bitter from the 60 IBU, perfect.The mouth is crisp, clean, and medium weighted, perfect for this holiday weekend at the shore. If there is perfection then ZD is it, the best APA I have ever had. Sadly not available on the west coast, happily sitting with two six packs to enjoy over the next couple weeks. Bravo 3 Floyds, the hype is more than justified.

3.3/5  rDev -27.2%

This is a nice APA, that is very drinkable but there are better American pales out there and for all the hype this beer gets I was thoroughly disappointed. Really nice hoppy nose and good bitterness but the mouth feel and finish disappoint this hoppy pale ale fan. In the end slightly above average 85pt beer.

4.67/5  rDev +3.1%

I've had zombie dust a number of times now. a few times on tap and I always pick up a couple six packs when they have it at the brewpub while I'm traveling through. poured from the 12 oz bottle into a pint glass it is a clear dark yellow color with a nice crew color head. The smell is citrus and earthy almost (like grassy and wheat). The taste is very crisp and I love citra hops. The beer is very well balanced is a stand up IPA. I'd take it every time.

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A-Clear orange, two finger head, not much carbonation, some lacing.

S-Wheat, citrus, tad bit of grass, a hop delight.

T-Good amount of wheat and malt, some spice, finishes with citrus, grass and hop goodness. Lemon is there as well.

M-Medium bodied, some carbonation, smooth and crisp.

O-A wonderful beer, looking forward to moving out to Indiana and being able to have this year round.

4.32/5  rDev -4.6%

Thanks to Foofaa for this 12 oz bottle (and its 5 sisters). In a tumbler.

A: The pale ale is an amber color, plentiful with orange and brown hues defining it. Transparent with a slight haze. The head is white and luxurious, coating the sides of the glass with lace.

S: The aromas are juicy but restrained, never losing sight of the pale ale base. That base is caramel and lightly toasted biscuit. The hops though, hold their own and then some. The citra drips with citrus and orange zest, ample bitterness running on par with the malts. Excellent smells here.

T: The balance is the great thing about this ale, neither hops nor malts get the upper hand. The malts are light - bready with caramel richness. The hops - and there is where I want to spend time, are delicious. The orange and citrus flavors are strong, intense even within the balanced confines of the ale. When cold, the malts are bigger. Only when the ale warms do the hops shine through - wait for that part of the ale. A top notch pale ale.

M: Clean and hoppy, with an emphasis on the hoppiness. Orange zest and bold citrus standing out against the surprising malt side. I'm afraid that I'll finish off this six pack one one fell swoop.

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance: A hazy amberish gold with a tall white head on top, very good lacing. A very appetizing looking beer, I can't really put my finger on it, it just looks superb.

Smell: A strong tropical citrus and a full bisciuty, bready malt. I could also pick up a light hop spiciness, reminiscent of spiced peaches, but very faint.

Taste: The hops are very pleasant, moderate, smooth bitterness and massive flavor. The dominant hop feature is more topical citrus, with the emphasis on mango. The malt is surprisingly active in the flavor as well, contributing a sweet bisciuty, bread character that plays extraordinarily well with the hop flavor. A lot going on here for a pale ale.

Mouthfeel: Excellent carbonation, a strong tingle that opens up your palate to the hops and gives a nice dry finish, very clean and refreshing.

Overall: This is one hyped ale, and I can see why. It is no doubt of the west coast style, but it is none the less a very unique beer. It is much hopier than any APA I have had, but it is also much more balanced than any West coast IPA. The bitterness is very smooth, but the hop flavor is extraordinarily large, a trend that has been occurring more and more as time goes on. A fantastic ale, no doubt in my mind, I would always keep this in my fridge if I could.

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

On tap at Macniven's for craft beer week. Poured a very nice mid-deep copper with fantastic head and a bit of nice lacing as it went down. Very nice scent, a wonderful citrus bitter hoppiness with a good malt sweetness underneath. Great flavors, a nice sweet malt with hints of caramel and a wonderfully citrus and slight floral hop finish that stays on the tongue for a nice bit. Wonderfully smooth, as well.

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

A - Light, straw-colored golden with a massive, creamy white head. The head has great retention and holds an 1/8 inch head throughout the drink.

S - Well put together, some grapefruit but not too bitter. Good sweetness. Nice hop notes, pure and clean. A nice clean IPA caliber of hop presence.

T - The taste is sweet at first with caramel malt and tropical fruits, lemon zest, but there is a nice hop bitterness on the mid-palate and finish.

M - Light body with full, but not overwhelming, carbonation.

O - Great beer that lives up to the hype. I was skeptical at first being that I've never had a APA I've really liked before (except Hoppy Birthday) but this gives the APA category a good name.

3.12/5  rDev -31.1%

I have really enjoyed the Floyd's work before, but after trying ZD a few times I gotta say: I don't get the hype on this one.

The appearance is nice, amber meets straw in color.

The nose is pleasant enough, almost a lighter, yet similar, nose to Kern River Citra.

The taste is interesting, but not overwhelmingly appealing. The hops clean your tongue a little in the beginning, and it's okay in the middle, but this is where you start to get that hint of wood. Yes, wood. And it really comes through in the finish. To me, it's not a great addition to this beer. And it's not a piney or citrusy flavor. It's kinda generic---wood. I have it 3 times, albeit always from a bottle. Maybe on tap would be different.

I'm not writing ZD off. And I'm not hating on them. In fact, if offered I will try again. I'm not scared off of this one, just a little perplexed by the hype.

4.42/5  rDev -2.4%

12oz bottle into a FFF pint. The brew pours a clear orange with slight off-white cap. Rising bubbles of carbonation maintain a thin layering atop. A swirl revives a half finger of almost tan coloration.

The smell is juicy with hops. Rindy with fruits and a floral component giving way to fresh herbs. It is tangy with a soft touch of alcohol across the nose. Overall a very fresh, enjoyable smelling brew.

The taste is juicy with hops. Floral, fruity and herbal with rindy and zesty bitterness leaning towards grassy but not quite. An accenting fruity alcohol touch and an undertone of toasty malt provides enough sweetness to really make the hops pop. There is no joke here, this brew is all about the hops. I love how flavorful this brew is without the bitterness getting overdone.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. It is crisp and very easy drinking. If made readily available to me, I would drink this regularly and in excessive quantities.

4.23/5  rDev -6.6%

Bottle shared by Jason, 12oz into a tulip.

Hazy dark orange with a white head, modest head and good lacing. Nose is all citra, mango, peach, apricot and the 'pittiness' of these fruits really comes through. Sweet malt, and some pine on the back end. Fantastic consistency as soon as this touched my lips, more peach and mango pit, sweet malt with a hint of caramel. Brilliant mouthfeel - fairly full, with some consistency, and something that I think should really be the gold standard for the style. Moderate bitterness, and easily consumed. A top-tier APA.

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head Signature glass. Big HUGE thanks to mordormongo for the hookup.

A: Beautiful reddish orange, mostly clear colored beer. Relatively aggressive pour leads to a full one-finger head that sloooowly dissipates to whisps and leaves thick, sticky lacing.

S: Holy wow. HUGE hops. Ginormous citrus hops followed immediately by the pine bitter that one is familiar with when it comes to big time hoppy beers. The malt profile is definitely present and accounted for but it's totally overshadowed by the big time hop profile.

T: Taste follows the nose in that it's an extremely deliciously hoppy beer. Tons of pine hop bitterness, lots of citrus zest and just an overall delicious flavor.

M: Dry finish, perfectly carbonated. Bitterness almost makes me pucker.

O: What to say? Really this is an IPA in Pale Ale's clothing. I suppose given it's 6.2% abv, it's given a pass but this is an excellent beer regardless of what the style is.

A beautiful looking brew. A nice hazy yellow with a touch of orange. Thick head dissipates into sticky lacing.

Smells super hoppy and fresh. By far the best smelling beer I've ever had. It smells dirty in a good way.

Tastes as good as it smells. A nice bite of bitter with citrus throughout. Sweet malt is there, but overpowered by the fresh hoppiness. This overpowering is good and makes it awesome.

Nice and smooth with perfect amount of carbonation.

12 Oz bottle poured into my 3F pint glass

Bought a case of these guys at the brewpub while on a road trip for 35$ without having ever had one, best investment I have ever made. That's 8.75$ a sixer!

A- Pours pale orange/golden and is slightly hazy only if you twirl the bottle mid pour. The head is rather large and sticks around all the way. It is a slightly off white color and is made of a really dense foam. Good lacing down the glass.

S- This Brew absolutely wreaks, in the best possible way. Super hoppy. The hop character is surprisingly complex for a single hop beer. A lot of pine up front followed up by gobs of citrus flavors; pineapple, mango, apricots and oranges. A touch of light malt and grain. Very sugary sweet as well, reminds me of fruit loops or captain crunch.

T- Taste is slightly bitter up front is super hoppy. The hop flavors are very citrus forward. A lot of pineapple, mango and orange. A slight bit of pine and lemon zest is also detectable. The malts really take a back seat to the hop ridiculousness but compliment the hops quite well. The malts are very sugary, a touch of breadiness and caramel but these malts really remind me of sugary cereal for some reason and it works really well here.

M- Moderate IPA level bitterness. The beer is well carbonated and rather light. Super drinkable and the taste keeps you coming back, hard to drink only one. A dry hoppy aftertaste that leaves me wanting more.

O- I find it hard to believe anything is perfect but I simply cant bring myself to give this beer anything less then a perfect score. This is my first perfect 5 rating after almost 200 reviews and I don't see myself giving another, at least for a long time. Everything about this beer is incredible, the price, the taste, the feel, the label art, the availability... well not for most of us but at least its guaranteed fresh. For a hop forward pale ale, this beer may just be perfect.

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottle into Founders tulip glass.

Jonathan the Zombie would take a sip of this and repeat, "Wow, I REALLY like turtles!!!" I like turtles, but I love Zombie Dust!

It toes the line between an IPA and a PA. Who cares. One of the best beers you can find for either class. Citrus nose, a bit of weediness, and an interesting funkiness in the finish (not a bad thing). Medium bitterness on the finish, but not lingering.

As advertised...awesome.

4.62/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Orange-copper with a fluffy, white head.

S: Big piney, American hops with a good malt backbone.

T: American hops. Citrus, pine, fruity, cedar, dry, bitter. Everything a phenomenal IPA should be. Bready malt in the end to balance it.

M: Smooth and easy drinking. Massive American hop characteristics and flavors.

O: Seriously awesome IPA. Citra hops at their finest.

4.8/5  rDev +6%

*Poured into a pint glass*

A: Pours a pale golden yellow with a slightly off white head of foam. There are plenty of bubbles with pieces of sediment strewn throughout. This looks like a Pils or a Belgian Ale. It's a very pretty looking beer. Perfect.

S: This might be the best aroma of any beer ever. So intoxicating. A blast of hoppy citrus. All kinds of it. Grapefruit. Clementines. Pineapple. My wife smelled sour cherries. Simply amazing. I could smell this all day.

T: You can taste the citrus flavor as soon as it hits the lips. Wonderful. I wished the flavor lasted longer, but it's beaten by a nice bitter finish. But, this is an fantastic flavor. One of the best ever. A complaint is, to a certain degree, this almost comes across as a citrus soda. A weird observation, and it doesn't ruin the drinking experience, but it's there.

M: Oddly enough, I think the carbonation effects the flavor a bit, but I love the feel of it. This is the definition of bold carbonation. The beer tingles on the tongue. A lighter than expected body makes this beer crisp and refreshing. Terrific.

O: One of the best beers ever. There is a lot of hype surrounding this beer, and it more than lives up to it. Trade for it. Buy it. Just make sure you get your hands on this wonderful brew.

4.67/5  rDev +3.1%

On tap at 3F Brewpub:

Ap: Pours a very slightly hazy bright orange. Almost looks (and smells) like a few peaches and mangos were squeezed into the glass.

Ar: Strong tropical fruit aroma. A little floral hop character as well. Lives up to its billing as a Citra APA.

Ts: Intense citrus hops up front. Smooth and hop-centric, just the way I want it.

Mo: Smooth and creamy.

Ov: What a great APA! Probably more of an IPA given just how hop forward this beer is. I wish there could be a case of this in my fridge year round.

My new favorite beer. This beer is everything that I could ask for in a brew. Definitely touches a number of different notes that really appeal to my taste buds.

A- incredible golden orange color with enough clarity to know they weren't being lax on the brew process. Head pours small bubbles, which sticks around for the entire time drinking it.

S- Aromatic hops running in the glass from start to finish while drinking it. Usually the aromatics stick around for a minute after the pour, but I found myself going back to the glass to smell it the entire time I was drinking this brew.

T- Amazing! So well balanced with the perfect amount of bittering and aromatic hops. Would say that this brew touches on IPA territory, but reels back in to Pale Ale land.
This has got to be one of the best balanced pale ales I have ever had, but it also pushes the limits of the style.

M- nice coating on the tongue and works its way around the mouth like a great beer should. Great carbonation and nothing too heavy throughout the tasting.

O- Gonna have to go back and re-rank those that I put close to this one. I am putting it up there as one of my favorites of all time. I could drink it all day, yet it has a powerful punch that lets me know I am drinking real beer.

4.89/5  rDev +7.9%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

(A)- Pours a clear golden orange color. Some great white froth, retention, and lace.

(S)- A great burst of a lemon lime like citrus. Some grapefruit too. Just an awesome citrus profile with an ever so subtle pine in the background.

(T)- Similar to the smell. Just an awesome fresh and vibrant fruity citrus profile for the style. Just the perfect amount of subtle bitter pine at the end.

(M)- A great carbonation level and an even better balance and feel. The citrus is just awesome and still has a smooth/clean, ever so slightly bitter finish. Simple, but comes of as very complex for the style.

(D)- Fits the bill perfectly; this is how I have always imagined what my ideal pale ale is. A great profile and just a pure overall enjoyment factor. I have never been a huge Three Floyds fanboy, but this might be their crowning acheivement. At the same time, it has been a long long long time since a pale ale has really impressed me like this one has.

4.42/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into a nonic a clear medium golden with a large fluffy white crown that settled very slowly into a frothy mass.A big shot of grapefruit hops hits ya in the nose along with some overripe tangerine,a sweetish biscuit malt is noticable as well.A healthy dose of citric hops over top of sweet biscuit on the palate,more fruity hops than bitter.A great pale ale,it has a huge dose of hops but it's actually a pretty rounded palate.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.