Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,555 | Ratings: 9,974
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours hazy orange with one to two finger fizzy white head. Strong hops aroma right out of the bottle. Packed with notes of citrus fruit, pine and floral undertones. Flavor is citrusy and slightly sweet balanced by bitter finish. Light to medium body with great carbonation. Absolutely my favorite IPA "Pale Ale." Combines all the best things about east and west coast IPA's.

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Really an awesome and unique pale ale. Poured from a 12 oz into a pint glass. Pours a slightly hazy golden orange color with a finger of head, modest retention and decent rings of lacing.

Smell is delightful- some lemon, a little sticky resin but just the right amount and a nice clean grain scent.

Tastes fantastic; I would expect nothing less of a pale ale from three Floyd's. Still that lemon citrus hop characteristic and the same slightly resinous quality but also an unusual flavor that's really familiar but that I dont associate with beer. It's an umami flavor, rich, kinda buttery but not in a gross way at all. Excellent.

Mouthfeel is great too- medium light body, well carbonated but not prickly, not too sticky. Of course this is an awesome beer; wish I'd picked up a few more bottles.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a hazy golden orange in color with light to moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some apricot + bright orange highlights. The beer has a two finger tall fluffy cloudy off-white head that reduces to a medium sized half finger tall dense foamy cap with a thin film covering the majority of the remainder of the surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of toasted and caramel malts underneath much more intense aromas of citrus/grapefruit/orange, tropical/mango, and pine hops.

T: Upfront there are moderate flavors of toasted and caramel malts that impart a light to moderate amount of sweetness. The malt flavors are followed up by even more intense hop flavors than were present in the smell - there is a significant amount of citrus/grapefruit and citrus/orange followed by moderate amounts of tropical/mango and finally a light to moderate amount of pine. Moderate amounts of bitterness in the finish which lingers slightly.

M: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Crisp upfront and slightly dry in the finish.

O: This is an extremely enjoyable beer with wonderful flavors and aromas from the hops - I really enjoy the combination of the citrus and tropical hops with just a touch of pine. I found the beer to be quite easy to drink and extremely enjoyable. I would drink this beer all the time if only I had easy access to it.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Best Pale Ale I've ever had. Bottle has some badass artwork as do all three floyd bottles. A little Fruity definitely good hop taste and aroma. Very deserving of the high spot it holds on the list. Made a trade to get ahold of it definitely worth it.

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

Thanks to my boy John Ross for snagging a bottle of this for me.

Pours a crisp golden orange with 2 fingers of frothy bright white head. Solid retention and sticky lacing.

Pungent, oily, citrusy hops. DANK!

Taste follows the nose.. sticky icky hops, juicy citrus. Clean and crisp.

Medium bodied, with a solid amount of carbonation. Drying hop aftertaste and some serious hop dragon breath.

Overall, I wanted this beer to not be good with all of the hype. This beer is like the Yankees or the Lakers. You want to hate them but all they do is win... Just like zombie dust. Amazing, simply amazing.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep opaque golden orange. Smells like fresh citrus. Tastes similar to Deschutes fresh squeezed, but even better. The look and taste of this APA is perfect. Very smooth and easy to drink. It's so good, it's scary.

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Got this beer in a trade, I wish I could get more! Couldn't really believe that this is a Pale Ale. Hop upfront with a nice sweet/bitter finish. Definitely will be looking to trade for some more Zombie Dust!

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served in a pint glass at Local Optiom in Chicago. Pours a hazy but vibrant orange/golden color with a really thin white head, and lots of thick cling.

Smells of bright mango/passion/citrus fruit, with a nice hop balance.

Taste is similar, with mango most obvious. It also has this resinous character to it, but it's not too piney.

Feel is nice and smooth for the style, light to medium carbonation, but nice and creamy. There is a distinct pulp aftertaste.

Overall, Zombie Dust probably not a 5. It's very good, and I'm glad I got to try it. Would love to sample in a bottle.

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

At long last! Finally, I've had the legendary Zombie Dust.

Appearance: Pours a typical APA color -- light orange. There's a slight haze, and a nice, creamy-like head on it. Lacing's patchy and not all that great, but it looks nice as a whole.

Smell: Think Hopslam. It smells a lot like that. Zombie Dust is tied with Hopslam as the best beer that I have ever smelled ... absolutely outstanding. A huge burst of guava/peach/citrus along with some sweet hoppiness. Glorious.

Taste/feel: Slightly letdown, though it's still an insanely tasty beer. The aroma is stronger than the taste, but that's not necessarily a terrible thing. Like many have said, this drinks more like an IPA than an APA... super tropical fruit flavors along with non-descript fruit and spice on this one. The aftertaste is slightly bitter, and the alcohol comes through a bit at times as well to dry the mouth, but me gusta. A proper amount of malt and spice on the finish to balance it all out pretty nicely. A great, GREAT beer, but a tinge overrated in my opinion, and I wouldn't consider this a very sessionable beer (besides the 6.40%) due to the dryness.

For the price, an unbelievable beer, and one of the best... $1.50 a bottle, fresh from the brewery? Doesn't get better than that. Overall though, just an extremely good beer. Best beer ever? No, but close to it. Honestly, I feel like this would score slightly lower on a blind taste test. I think a good reason this beer is so acclaimed is because of its label, and especially, its name... America's become obsessed with zombies the past few years.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

When I first rated this, I gave it a 4.25. I think I may have underestimated it. Don't know when it was bottled, but the one I have certainly tastes fresh. Dark golden tan with healthy carb, foam, and lacing. Super hoppy smell, juicy and creamy taste, slightly bitter. Very good.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Three Floyds pint glass, from the bottle. Color is a light copper/orange, with great lacing throughout. Head was a thick inch of off-white that faded away after a few minutes time. Aroma of tropical fruits paired with citrusy hops. Taste is juicy, and pleasantly non-bitter until the very end. Solid beer, always a pleasure to have one.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Nice golden amber color with good carbonation and a nice head, and a little dusty sediment at the end.

Crazy fresh citrus aromas like tangerine and blood orange, plus a little sage/resin, and a balanced malt sweetness.

Flavors carry the same characters from the hops as the aroma. Malt backbone is a clean pale malt body plus a touch of something richer, maybe Munich or a gentle blend of light crystal malts. Great balance for all the hops.

Mouthfeel seems a little light, until I remind myself it's an IPA, not a DIPA. Carbonation plays well on the palate. Halfway through the bottle some hop oil stickiness starts around the edge of the tongue.

Altogether an astonishingly delicious beer. The intensity of the hops reminds me of Pliny the Younger. The malt character is superbly crafted to balance the hops, with a touch of richness. Really well crafted.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours slightly hazy amber with about 1.5 fingers of eggshell head. Head doesn't really go anywhere. Just kind of sits around patiently as if it's saying, "take your time. I'll wait." Also, some of the best bottle art out there!

Smells potent and hop heavy. Nose reminds me of Two-Hearted, but sweeter--strange considering each use a different single-hop variety. Very fruity (I'm thinking the sweetness is pineapple and the bitterness is grapefruit). Very inviting. Let's enjoy...

Sweet, rich, well-rounded, and very deep brew. It hits all parts of my palate with different sensations. Sweet and juicy on the front; a little bitter, floral, and resinous on the middle; a sweet (candi sugar)/spicy (black pepper) kick on the back. What an interesting flavor. There is also a bitter-sweet aftertaste that is very pleasant.

The mouthfeel is light/medium and very crisp. Extremely drinkable. A little bit of resin rests on the tongue after each drink. It keeps you coming back for more.

Overall...Yeah, I understand the hype. Definitely one of the best APAs (or IPAs depending how you categorize it) I've had. However, it didn't blow my head off and completely change my perspective on beer. Honestly, I don't think any beer can match the high expectations set for ZD. Still, it's awesome. Simply fantastic. Superb. So. Fucking. Good.

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

a - poured a two-fingers billowy and fluffy eggshell-colored head into a snifter that left great lacing and sheeting throughout. the body was a bright copper-amber color.
s - big, sticky, resiny citrus hops.
t - citrus, pine, fruit with a nice caramel-toffee backbone. incredibly complex.
m - very slick and coating, almost silky mouthfeel.
o - top notch APA. loved it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

All day long. I went into this one a little skeptical as at times hype rises above flavor or quality - not in this case. It was really, really excellent, but with a balance that allowed you to have a few of them and never tire of it.

At FFF on cast. Imperial pint $5

A - Hazy golden orange color color with a big thick white head. A bit hazier than regular zombie dust. Lots of lacing throughout

S - Loads of citra hops. Orange, lemon, slight grassy hop freshness. Strong great nose

T - Lemon, orange, slight grassy hops. Balanced with a light caramel sweetness. Light grapefruit lingers on the tongue with a slight biscuit finish

MF - Medium light body with a slight stickiness. Light hop resin remains on the tongue. Makes it nice and easy to drink. Bit lighter than normal

O - Great beer and ever greater on cask. Easy drinking. Definitely grab a couple of glasses if they have it especially for only $5 for an imperial pint. The nose on this is even better than normal and as per usual, it's flavor packed

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

On tap at haymarket, reviewed from notes. Poured into nonic, hazy golden yellow with a small one finger white head that fades leaving some lacing. Smell is very refreshing, lots of citrus hops, grassy, some straw and light malts, a bit of floral hops as well. Tastes very hoppy for an APA, which I am fine with. Citrus grassy hops, not overly bitter, a bit of balance from the light malt presence. Light body with a medium carbonation, very crisp and refreshing. This beer is amazing - I will get this anywhere I see it on tap. A perfectly drinkable hoppy APA, very refreshing. I look forward to drinking this beer all summer.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a Dogfish Head Snifter.

Color: Hazy orange with a white head.

Smell: Hops, oranges, grapefruit.

Taste: Orange, grapefruit and hops.

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation with a medium dryness.

Overall: It's the ruby red tangerine of beers! Very tastey! Great crisp finish. Cheers!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle in pint glass
courtesy of Matt

A: Crystal clear copper color with a thick white head that leaves a thick coating of lace.
S: Massive citrus and tropical fruit nose, like Hawaiian punch
T: Juicy, fruity hops with a subtle bitterness at the end. Slight crystal malt sweetness adds to the fruit punch feeling.
M: On the high side of carbonation for the style helps to balance out some of the sweetness, comes across as a weird (in a good way) mix of sweet/fruity and dry.
O: Holy crap, this is a tasty beer, an amazing amount of "new" hop flavors without being a ridiculous bitter bomb. Almost too easy to drink, I could finish a six pack in one sitting, but the alcohol would eventually catch up and that is a shame :) I keep flashing back to my memory of Masala Mama last summer (also an amazingly good beer). Highly recommended.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I got a bottle of Three Floyds Zombie Dust that was given to me Beer Jay. I've never had anything from Three Floyds before and I've been wanting to try this beer for a while and I'm happy Beer Jay gave me a chance to try it, so lets see how it goes. Less than two weeks old. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it goes nicely with the name and I think it's eye catching. It poured a nice orange color that took on more of a amber orange color when held to the light and it had a little over two fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma start off with a with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the fruity hops being the first to show up and they impart a great fruit aroma that mainly consists of citrus fruit aromas but there also some nice tropical fruit like aromas that come together to make for an aroma that is similar to pineapple orange juice and there's also some piney hops showing up in the background. Up next comes a nice and noticeable malt aroma with some lightly toasted, biscuit, slightly grainy and slight caramel malt like aromas that show up just enough. This beer had a awesome aroma, it was full of fruity hops and it had just enough malts to bring out some balance.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the fruity hops still being the first to show up and they still impart those same aspects that I got in the aroma with that great pineapple orange juice flavor sticking out the most and it seems like the piney hops stick out just a little more in the background than they did in the aroma. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma and they show up just enough. On the finish there's just a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness with a fruity hop and slightly piney aftertaste. This was a great tasting beer, the hop profile was really good and it still managed to have a little bit of balance to it.

M- Smooth, fairly crisp, refreshing, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was awesome and it worked great with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a great beer and I thought it was a world class example of an IPA, I know the brewery calls this is a Pale Ale and while it has some of the balance that a good Pale Ale should have it still tasted and drank just like an IPA. This beer had great drinkability, it was smooth, fairly crisp, refreshing, not filling at all and the taste did a great job of holding my attention, I think I could drink a lot of these without even coming close to being bored with it, it's a great combination of taste and drinkability and I think it's a great beer to have on a warm day. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma and mouthfeel, to me those two aspects stood out just a little more than the others and they were both really well done. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't a single that about this beer that I disliked or would change, it's great just the way it is, but I do wish I could buy this in Michigan. I would for sure buy this beer if I had the chance and I wouldn't hesitate to grab a case of it. I would recommend this beer to everyone, it is truly one of those must try beers. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, with how famous it is in the craft beer scene I was expecting this to be a great beer and it ended up living up to that and it delivered in every aspect. This beer made for a great first impression for Three Floyds and I would love to try more of their beer. As a a Pale Ale, I'm pretty sure it's the best I've had and as an IPA it's up there in my top three for sure. Great job guys, this is one Awesome beer and It deserves all the recognition it gets.

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 9/20/11
*From notes

-- A BIG thanks goes out to both brydeen and Señor Lopez for hookin' a white boy up with some Three Floyds deliciousness. --

A: Unfiltered dark amber. Quite dark, in fact, for an APA which I really dig. A generous pour (split with ol' Johnny Boy) yields a killer two finger head and lacing so epic it's makin' Roland Emmerich jealous.

S: I'm goin' coo-coo for Zombie Dust. The nose here is wicked - there's a menthol, vapo-rub essense to it that's just incredible. Piney. Floral. Juicy. Wow.

T: Is this an IPA? Beacause it certainly drinks like it. The citra hops explode onto the palate, creating a tropical, juicy and scrumdiddlyumptious APA. And like the best in style, there's a well structured and solid, golden malt spine that keeps the beer perfectly unbalanced.

M: Hellaciously creamy. This monster is over the top frothy. The carbonation is spot-on, and the texture is like a Michael Jordan after party: off the chain. This APA is luxurious and insanely approachable.

O: Three Floyds Zombie Dust changes the APA game. Who knew you could have your hops and (reasonably) low ABV all wrapped into one majestic package? This is crazy good. Seek it out at any cost.

Oh, and the label is pure badass.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

Zombie Dust! I like it a lot =)

Bottle, obtained through a great trade. Thank you Dave! Poured into a snifter, enjoying this on a beautiful sunny afternoon in Seattle.

A: Light orange color, one inch head. Decent amount of lacing.

S: Smells great =) I had my sister-in-law take a sip of it (who doesn't know much about beer at all), she said it smells amazing haha (she also said it tasted good)

T: Grapefruit, citrus, not too bitter and not too sweet (perfect - oh, and not too oily).

M: Ligher in body than DIPAs. Very very drinkable. I can probably drink the whole sixer in a sitting.

O: I enjoyed this bottle very much. Not the greatest beer ever, but if I had to choose one beer that I would have everyday, this would be one of my top choices.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

Aroma is quite citrusy, with a tropical component to it as well. Very hoppy for a pale ale, it really smells a lot like a citrusy IPA would. Clearly this one is going to be aggressive, not that I'd expect less from FFF.

Taste is immediately very juicy, with grapefruit and tropical notes just exploding from the Citra hops. There isn't much of a doubt where this pale ale's hop character lies. Besides this, there's a small spicy biscuit malt that struggles to poke through near the finish. Despite how flavorful the hops are however, the interesting thing is that it isn't really a very bitter one. This shows on the finish, which is dry but with very little astringency at all. Very clean, and leaves you wanting more without any grimacing. Good stuff.

I'm definitely impressed! One of the most flavorful pale ales you'll ever have, but done in a clean and easy to drink way.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's good. It has all the familiar characteristics of an IPA but brought down and not losing any of the flavor. It's full, beautiful, and balanced to perfection. A wonder APA, a step above the Space Station or other APA offerings from FFF.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

A- Pours a lightly hazed orange with a few streams of rising carbonation. The bone-white head is a combination of thin and bubbly with nice retention.

S- Mango, pineapple, peach, pine, fresh cut grass, and honey. Aromatic and very intriguing. Stellar.

T- Same as the aroma but a little less emphasis on the fruit and a little more on the pine. Still very nice and for the style is top-notch.

M- Abundant carbonation emphasizes the bitterness and flavors. A tad on the thin side. Clean and a bit dry on the finish.

O- A delicious take on the style that drinks really well. Flavorful and unique. Highly recommended.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.