Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,514 | Ratings: 9,787
4.58/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

All day long. I went into this one a little skeptical as at times hype rises above flavor or quality - not in this case. It was really, really excellent, but with a balance that allowed you to have a few of them and never tire of it.

At FFF on cast. Imperial pint $5

A - Hazy golden orange color color with a big thick white head. A bit hazier than regular zombie dust. Lots of lacing throughout

S - Loads of citra hops. Orange, lemon, slight grassy hop freshness. Strong great nose

T - Lemon, orange, slight grassy hops. Balanced with a light caramel sweetness. Light grapefruit lingers on the tongue with a slight biscuit finish

MF - Medium light body with a slight stickiness. Light hop resin remains on the tongue. Makes it nice and easy to drink. Bit lighter than normal

O - Great beer and ever greater on cask. Easy drinking. Definitely grab a couple of glasses if they have it especially for only $5 for an imperial pint. The nose on this is even better than normal and as per usual, it's flavor packed

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

On tap at haymarket, reviewed from notes. Poured into nonic, hazy golden yellow with a small one finger white head that fades leaving some lacing. Smell is very refreshing, lots of citrus hops, grassy, some straw and light malts, a bit of floral hops as well. Tastes very hoppy for an APA, which I am fine with. Citrus grassy hops, not overly bitter, a bit of balance from the light malt presence. Light body with a medium carbonation, very crisp and refreshing. This beer is amazing - I will get this anywhere I see it on tap. A perfectly drinkable hoppy APA, very refreshing. I look forward to drinking this beer all summer.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a Dogfish Head Snifter.

Color: Hazy orange with a white head.

Smell: Hops, oranges, grapefruit.

Taste: Orange, grapefruit and hops.

Mouthfeel: Great carbonation with a medium dryness.

Overall: It's the ruby red tangerine of beers! Very tastey! Great crisp finish. Cheers!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle in pint glass
courtesy of Matt

A: Crystal clear copper color with a thick white head that leaves a thick coating of lace.
S: Massive citrus and tropical fruit nose, like Hawaiian punch
T: Juicy, fruity hops with a subtle bitterness at the end. Slight crystal malt sweetness adds to the fruit punch feeling.
M: On the high side of carbonation for the style helps to balance out some of the sweetness, comes across as a weird (in a good way) mix of sweet/fruity and dry.
O: Holy crap, this is a tasty beer, an amazing amount of "new" hop flavors without being a ridiculous bitter bomb. Almost too easy to drink, I could finish a six pack in one sitting, but the alcohol would eventually catch up and that is a shame :) I keep flashing back to my memory of Masala Mama last summer (also an amazingly good beer). Highly recommended.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I got a bottle of Three Floyds Zombie Dust that was given to me Beer Jay. I've never had anything from Three Floyds before and I've been wanting to try this beer for a while and I'm happy Beer Jay gave me a chance to try it, so lets see how it goes. Less than two weeks old. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it goes nicely with the name and I think it's eye catching. It poured a nice orange color that took on more of a amber orange color when held to the light and it had a little over two fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma start off with a with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the fruity hops being the first to show up and they impart a great fruit aroma that mainly consists of citrus fruit aromas but there also some nice tropical fruit like aromas that come together to make for an aroma that is similar to pineapple orange juice and there's also some piney hops showing up in the background. Up next comes a nice and noticeable malt aroma with some lightly toasted, biscuit, slightly grainy and slight caramel malt like aromas that show up just enough. This beer had a awesome aroma, it was full of fruity hops and it had just enough malts to bring out some balance.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the fruity hops still being the first to show up and they still impart those same aspects that I got in the aroma with that great pineapple orange juice flavor sticking out the most and it seems like the piney hops stick out just a little more in the background than they did in the aroma. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma and they show up just enough. On the finish there's just a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness with a fruity hop and slightly piney aftertaste. This was a great tasting beer, the hop profile was really good and it still managed to have a little bit of balance to it.

M- Smooth, fairly crisp, refreshing, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was awesome and it worked great with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a great beer and I thought it was a world class example of an IPA, I know the brewery calls this is a Pale Ale and while it has some of the balance that a good Pale Ale should have it still tasted and drank just like an IPA. This beer had great drinkability, it was smooth, fairly crisp, refreshing, not filling at all and the taste did a great job of holding my attention, I think I could drink a lot of these without even coming close to being bored with it, it's a great combination of taste and drinkability and I think it's a great beer to have on a warm day. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma and mouthfeel, to me those two aspects stood out just a little more than the others and they were both really well done. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't a single that about this beer that I disliked or would change, it's great just the way it is, but I do wish I could buy this in Michigan. I would for sure buy this beer if I had the chance and I wouldn't hesitate to grab a case of it. I would recommend this beer to everyone, it is truly one of those must try beers. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, with how famous it is in the craft beer scene I was expecting this to be a great beer and it ended up living up to that and it delivered in every aspect. This beer made for a great first impression for Three Floyds and I would love to try more of their beer. As a a Pale Ale, I'm pretty sure it's the best I've had and as an IPA it's up there in my top three for sure. Great job guys, this is one Awesome beer and It deserves all the recognition it gets.

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 9/20/11
*From notes

-- A BIG thanks goes out to both brydeen and Señor Lopez for hookin' a white boy up with some Three Floyds deliciousness. --

A: Unfiltered dark amber. Quite dark, in fact, for an APA which I really dig. A generous pour (split with ol' Johnny Boy) yields a killer two finger head and lacing so epic it's makin' Roland Emmerich jealous.

S: I'm goin' coo-coo for Zombie Dust. The nose here is wicked - there's a menthol, vapo-rub essense to it that's just incredible. Piney. Floral. Juicy. Wow.

T: Is this an IPA? Beacause it certainly drinks like it. The citra hops explode onto the palate, creating a tropical, juicy and scrumdiddlyumptious APA. And like the best in style, there's a well structured and solid, golden malt spine that keeps the beer perfectly unbalanced.

M: Hellaciously creamy. This monster is over the top frothy. The carbonation is spot-on, and the texture is like a Michael Jordan after party: off the chain. This APA is luxurious and insanely approachable.

O: Three Floyds Zombie Dust changes the APA game. Who knew you could have your hops and (reasonably) low ABV all wrapped into one majestic package? This is crazy good. Seek it out at any cost.

Oh, and the label is pure badass.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

Zombie Dust! I like it a lot =)

Bottle, obtained through a great trade. Thank you Dave! Poured into a snifter, enjoying this on a beautiful sunny afternoon in Seattle.

A: Light orange color, one inch head. Decent amount of lacing.

S: Smells great =) I had my sister-in-law take a sip of it (who doesn't know much about beer at all), she said it smells amazing haha (she also said it tasted good)

T: Grapefruit, citrus, not too bitter and not too sweet (perfect - oh, and not too oily).

M: Ligher in body than DIPAs. Very very drinkable. I can probably drink the whole sixer in a sitting.

O: I enjoyed this bottle very much. Not the greatest beer ever, but if I had to choose one beer that I would have everyday, this would be one of my top choices.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

Aroma is quite citrusy, with a tropical component to it as well. Very hoppy for a pale ale, it really smells a lot like a citrusy IPA would. Clearly this one is going to be aggressive, not that I'd expect less from FFF.

Taste is immediately very juicy, with grapefruit and tropical notes just exploding from the Citra hops. There isn't much of a doubt where this pale ale's hop character lies. Besides this, there's a small spicy biscuit malt that struggles to poke through near the finish. Despite how flavorful the hops are however, the interesting thing is that it isn't really a very bitter one. This shows on the finish, which is dry but with very little astringency at all. Very clean, and leaves you wanting more without any grimacing. Good stuff.

I'm definitely impressed! One of the most flavorful pale ales you'll ever have, but done in a clean and easy to drink way.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's good. It has all the familiar characteristics of an IPA but brought down and not losing any of the flavor. It's full, beautiful, and balanced to perfection. A wonder APA, a step above the Space Station or other APA offerings from FFF.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

A- Pours a lightly hazed orange with a few streams of rising carbonation. The bone-white head is a combination of thin and bubbly with nice retention.

S- Mango, pineapple, peach, pine, fresh cut grass, and honey. Aromatic and very intriguing. Stellar.

T- Same as the aroma but a little less emphasis on the fruit and a little more on the pine. Still very nice and for the style is top-notch.

M- Abundant carbonation emphasizes the bitterness and flavors. A tad on the thin side. Clean and a bit dry on the finish.

O- A delicious take on the style that drinks really well. Flavorful and unique. Highly recommended.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

Got this in an IP trade. Never thought I'd try it.

Appearance: Pours a golden orange color with a half a finger of a white head.

Smell: Smells really good. Citrus, tropical fruits, mango, peach, sweet hops, and a slight bready maltiness.

Taste -Taste is more subdued but it mirrors the nose. More tropical fruits and minimal bitterness and more of that bready backbone in the flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very drinkable. Thin to medium mouthfeel.

Overall: Overall didn't blow me away with all the hype but it's a pale ale. I think I prefer Alpha King but I had that fresh on tap and I think this bottle is 6 weeks old. Still my 2nd favorite pale ale and and amazing beer.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

A- Pours mid golden with a small white head. Decent head retentiona dn some lacing left.

S- Floral aroma.

T- Sweet at first the the hops hit you like a ton of bricks (you know, for a pale ale). Clean, crisp. Yum.

M- Crisp carbonation.

D/O- Bottom line, this is the best pale ale I've ever had. Drinkability is through the roof. Three Floyds nailed it once again.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

First, thanks be to a friend who was willing to part with a six pack from his case he picked up at the brewery! I have had this beer three time, this being my first bottle experience, and it has not disappointed once. This beer might not top my favorite list, but boy does it smell like my former favorite beer (Founders Harvest Ale pre-2010 batches).

A: Pretty much as expected here for an American Pale. No too much head. Orangy golden straw color.

S: Enough of the looks, this is where this beer flies off the charts. Gorgeous, explosive citrus. The nose alone makes me think I've just got my daily allotment of Vitamin C.

T: Not as phenomenal as the smell, but it's hard to compete. This is a pretty damn tasty beer. A little more malt is present than I was expecting. Not super bitter, but a little reminiscent of slightly backed off version of Alpha King.

M: Not heavy at all, but a good amount of body here for the style. Still finishes clean. So refreshing.

O: You want this beer.

Give me this, Oracle and 2009 Founders Harvest Ale every day, please.

A-Dark Golden, white/creamy head

S-piney citra hoop aroma, super heavy hop aroma, enough to make me salivate. I could sit around and smell this beer, for hours on end.

T: Sweet citrus hop profile is prominent. Malts are light but help in the sweetness. This is all about the hops as are many 3F beers. A fantastic and drinkable pale, not a session beer but close.

M-good body given the profile of the beer. Smooth mouthfeel, easy to drink.

O: very tasty, the hops are the main attraction. But are mellowed by the wheat and malt profile. One of my favorite beers.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

I had this on tap at Three Floyds. It is a golden color with a strong floral and citrus aroma. Taste is loaded with floral and citrus hops with a nice orange flavor and without a strong alcohol presence. This is an extremely drinkable and delicious beer.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. This was bottled on 02/11/14 so is just under a month "old".

Appearance: Pours a deep honey/amber and leaves a finger of white head that slowly fades to a rim around the glass.

Smell: Pine and mango, tropical fruits, a dash of resin, a nice level of "dank" to it as well. Really nice, hop-dominated aroma.

Taste: Pine, resin, big mango, grapefruit, blood orange, honey, malts. Really nice combination of hop flavors. Super hop dominant, which works well on this one. Delicious.

Mouth-feel: Well carbonated with a medium, slightly sticky body. Wonderful feel to it. Finishes crisp and clean.

Overall: This is a wonderful, easy drinking, hop bomb. The flavor is really nice and not commonplace. I wish I could get more this, it would be my go-to for sure.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours an amber/orange hue. Body is lightly hazy. Head is a thin chunk of white frothy foam. Strings of lacing are left behind.

S-This legendary, Citra-induced tropical fruity hop bomb lives up to it's reputation in the nose. An amplitude of citrus, mango, nectarine and bright green grass.

T-Pineapple, grapefruit, mango, apricot, moss, grass and on and on and on. A superabundance of Citra! It also has a soft maltiness that reminds me of biscuits. When done right, this hop brings forth the most pleasurable aromas and flavors...and it was clearly done right here.

M-Medium bodied. Somewhat resinous. High, lingering bitterness. Still maintains an exceptional level of drinkability. Lasting aftertaste.

O-Holds its own with any IPA...because it is an IPA . Was probably my most sought after beer up until finally trying it. It almost lives up to the hype.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

Masterski is really a great guy. Thanks, man. I've been getting a bit down on the beer scene lately (I don't have much time, I need to get some beers out to people, yada yada yada). I was hoping he'd send me a bottle, and unsolicited he sent me a whole package. Thanks dude.

Pours a slightly orange golden yellow. Surprisingly hazy. White foamy crust with some bubbling.

Smells like mandarin oranges, some grapefruit rind, some nice sweet grapefruit, and a bit of tropical pineapple/papaya. Basically, this is a medley of hops and smells fucking great.

Taste is surprisingly sweet-forward. This isn't your typical pale ale, I'd say the tropical/orange flavors take center stage and the grapefruit is as much sweet as bitter, and not much pine to be found. Wow. Just great.

I would buy this every day if available around me. I suppose could use a bit more carbonation for the abv, but a great brew.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On tap in a pint glass. Is this a pale ale or a strong IPA? Pours a deep straw/light honey color with an off white head. The nose is very hop-forward, and nearly as dry as it tastes. This beer is simply great to drink. The taste is dry, hoppy, and very refreshing. Very little malt-sweetness that I can detect. This is all dry, all hop, which is likely why it tastes so much more like an IPA than a pale ale. Mouthfeel is exceedingly crisp. Overall, and outstanding beer.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12oz. bottle with a sweet ass glossy label. This label was done by a comic artist and it shows it. On the label is a zombie king wearing a gold crown, a Spider-Man style spider on his chest, a Superman cape, and holding a Thor style hammer in his left hand. To the left of the zombie king in big bold lime green comic style lettering is the name of the beer. Flanking the good king is a brief description of the beer and all the mandatory US info. No best before or bottled date anywhere. Thanks!

When poured into a pint glass, this "supposedly" rotting blood thirsty corpse of a beer was actually a very beautiful semi hazy golden amber with some faint lemon yellow highlights. Not only was the color impressive, but the head of foam as well. The initial head of foam was a good 3/4 of an inch in height and almost as fluffy as a new pillow. As for the color, pure white. White as the driven snow. It had great retention that left behind a milky white film and streak after streak of white lace. The milky white film lasted until the last drop of beer was gone. Eye candy all the way! The beer's appearance is the complete opposite of a zombie.

Does it smell like a zombie? It certainly does not! Very potent, but not rotting flesh potent. The first aroma that came pouring out of the glass was the thick aroma of ripened to perfection grapefruit. Once my nose got its fill of grapefruit, my nose found the fresh scent of lemon zest, lemon grass, a dash of coriander, a splash of orange peel, more grapefruit, and a load of bitter citrus hops. I was able to detect a small whiff of toasted malt at the end. When I found that, the grapefruit and hops swept in and covered it up.

This beer did not let up and it wasn't going to anytime soon. Like the aroma, the first thing that came out was the perfectly ripened bitter and tart grapefruit. Waiting patiently behind the ripe grapefruit was the great taste of tart lemon, a pinch of lemon grass, a drop of orange peel, a small slice of pineapple, and a few pine needles. The taste is not done yet. After all that, in comes a thick powerful wave of bitter citrus hops. Unlike the aroma, the grapefruit and citrus hops let in a touch of malt at the end. They didn't cover it up like they did in the aroma. They let it out of the cage for a short time.

Despite clocking in at 6.4% ABV, this was a medium bodied beer. There was more than enough carbonation to keep your tongue entertained for hours. If that's not enough, there was also a full flavored aftertaste. The aftertaste was just as good as the initial taste and just as hoppy. The aftertaste had more bitter and tart grapefruit, tart lemon, a splash of orange peel, a few blades of lemon grass, and bitter citrus hops. This nice aftertaste lingers on for a few minutes. I'm glad that it stuck around.

What a beer! This beer made me a zombie. Instead of looking for juicy brains, I'll be looking for more of this delicious beer. Sometimes a beer will hide behind a cool label. This is clearly not one of those beers. The beer was just as good as the label. Would I drink another one? That's a stupid question. Of course I would. I would drink a six pack if I could find a steady supply. I would like to thank my good friend Matt for giving me the opportunity to try this sweet brew.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

First of all, thanks to Jackie for the bottle.

Poured out of 12 oz bottle into CBS snifter.

A) Amber with haze. There was a full finger of head, which settled to a dusting. There was plenty of sticky lacing all over the snifter.

S) Absolutely top notch aroma. This had all kinds of sweet fruity quality. I was picking up really ripe peaches, white grapefruit, just a nice tropical blend. For me this was perfect.

T) Good malt/hops balance. The flavor is not as sweet and fruity as the nose, but it is tasty. There is definitely a grassy, piney, citrus rind to the finish and aftertaste. No alcohol noted. Really good...

M) More or less a medium body brew with moderate carbonation. There is some pine and rind tingle. It's pretty crisp and certainly refreshing.

O) This was really frick'n good. I could drink this anytime, but I'd love to have a nice stash of it for the summer. Cheers....

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Pours a bright hazy gold... can't get much better that this color. Great 2 fingers of head that settles into a nice layer atop. Left nice lacing that stuck all the way up top.

S: The second you open this beer you get hit with this smell and WOW! Great fruity scents and Citra hops. Slight pine scent added in more an amazing aroma.

T: Just as it smells, a nice sweet start and great hoppy flavors

M: Nice medium body, Nice hoppy peppery spices and not too bitter.

O: Really a great beer. The worst part about this beer is I finished it way too quick and I want more and I cannot get it! Would love to try this one again!

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

A: two finger head, yellow with very light mustard and amber hues. clear. Lots of lacing.

S: Very aromatous. I could smell this one as it poured. The aroma is like a strong hoppy IPA with both oak, grapefruit and floral notes.

T: a very nice hop character with woody and floral notes. The aroma forbodes the taste which is right on for a pale ale.

M: medium body and moderate carbonation. smooth for a pale ale.

Overall: An excellent example of an aromatous pale ale which stays true to the pale ale genre in the taste.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

A- pours a translucent brassy color with a finger and a half of off white dense head. Great retention with great lacing!

S- monstrous pungent hop aromas scream from the glass with resin, juicy citrus and an over the top aromatic leafy eucalyptus characteristic. The slightest hint of biscuity malt barely comes put on the finish.

T- again hop nirvana arrives. Juicy citrus tones blend with notes of mango and tropical fruit. Floral touches in the middle with hop resin comes out in the middle. Finishes very dry with a solid hop bitterness and the slightest touch of pale malt.

MF- slick juicy mouthfeel with a medium body and soft fine carbonation.

D- drinks like aqua!

Overall a world class pale ale that brings any hop lover to tears! Amazing.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.