Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,541 | Ratings: 9,910
4.98/5  rDev +9.9%

I was fortunate to be in Munster while 3 Floyds was open and purchased a cold 6-pack, bottled the previous day, for $10. (Only one because I was due to catch a plane :-( )

This is what I consider the ideal type of IPA. It is floral, "juicy" and not just a super-bitter hop bomb. It's not bitter.

I'm not into artsy descriptions of aroma, etc, so my closest comparison to other beers is that this is a little brother of Heady Topper (which is a DIPA).

4.64/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours gold orange with light haze. Medium, thick, off white, lasting head. Good lacing.

Smells citrus, mostly sweet orange, tropical, bready malt, light pine.

Tastes juicy sweet Orange, citrus, mango and bready malt. Fades to a light dry finish of light lingering pine and citrus. Medium body and smooth medium carbonation

4.22/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ah, the fabled Zombie Dust. Surprisingly, I didn't realize that @LongTaco15 included this in my latest haul. Well, when one gets older, one gets a bit weirder...

Bottle date: BOTTLED ON 1-18-17 949

Mildly hazy, honey-hued body; dense, spongy, creamy head. Fruity aroma, pine sap aroma; mild biscuit aroma. Bready, bitter flavor abounds; juicy, pitted fruit taste; peach and apricot. Heavy body; gentle rasp on the palate; powdery, dry mouthfeel with sublime, low-key fruit sweetness throughout.

A well-balanced, nicely complex beer bringing a nice blend of sweetness and bitterness together into one fine tasting beverage. I'm somewhat surprised at the lack of strong hop aroma in this one (my expectation), and the appearance, although very fine, didn't strike me as exceptional. Yet the taste and mouthfeel are some of the best I've encountered for this style of beer. One can't go wrong with Zombie Dust. Yes, indeedy...

4.89/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

My first taste of the legend. Bottled 1/13/17, bought a six pack at The Keg, Clarksville IN for $13.

A- Pours peachy gold, 1/2 inch head. Carbonation bubbling up nicely. As I drink it, nice lacing on the glass which lasted until the end.

S- Orange, tropical fruit , light hops. Backed by very mild earth and malt. More delicate than the bombs being made these days.

T: Orange and grapefruit, first a little sweet with the orange and something else tropical (can't put my finger on it, but it is there), then a light bitterness of orange zest and grapefruit, some pine, hints of malt, followed by dry hoppy finish. As it has warmed I am getting some pineapple, too. It is so balanced, this is no bomb, nothing slaps you, just very well-crafted.

M: Medium-light body, quite crisp, good carbonation, clean and dry finish with just a hint of oil.

O: The sum is even better than its parts. It's what a pale ale should be, before brewers started trying to one-up each other with a dump truck full of hops. Unlike those brews, you can drink a sixer of this and not overwhelm your taste buds to the point of exhaustion. Very refreshing. The ABV does not say "session" but I could drink this all day. World-class, makes me proud to be a Hoosier. I am looking forward to getting this fresh this summer on my trip to FFF.

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Bottled 12-20-16.

A: Pours a somewhat hazy golden-orange in color with a 1/2 inch, foamy, cream colored head with short retention. Thin, white lacing throughout.

S: Big aromas of citrus and tropical fruits consisting of grapefruit, orange, pineapple, melons, mango, and passion fruit. Milder hints of earthy and piney hops.

T: Starts off with big notes of grapefruit and orange rind followed by milder notes of pineapple, melons, guava, and hints of caramel malts. Tropical fruit elements become more present as the beer warms. Finishes with a nice lingering piney, resinous hop bitterness.

F: Medium bodied, smooth, and crisp with moderate carbonation. Somewhat dry finish.

O: Overall, this is a great APA. Very well balanced and drinkable. Showcases the Citra hops well, though it's not as fruity as a lot of other highly rated Citra APA's. Would really like to try a fresh bottle or fresh from the source to see how it compares.

4.36/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It pours a lot darker than most of the New England style IPAs I've grown accustomed to. The taste is a lot milder, not as juicy and the look is not hazy at all. Overall, it's balanced and quite good but I've had much better beers.

4.04/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Look: Pours a slightly hazy orange/gold, with a slight white head, and some carbonation rising up.

Smell: Orange is the big scent I get, as well as a general citrus aroma.

Taste: The citrus comes in with a big pop, largely the sweeter citrus i.e. oranges or clementines, and a bitterness of grapefruit.

Feel: medium bodied and easy to drink. There's a slight drying bitterness in the finish, but nothing unbearable.

Overall: A nice pale ale that was a precursor to the tropical fruit bombs. If this were available locally, I'd definitely pick up sixers from time to time.

4.81/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite beers of ALL TIME! I buy it whenever I see it and always try to drink it fresh. Even when it's been sitting in the fridge for awhile, though, it's still exceptional. So smooth and flavorful. LOVE THIS BEER

4.37/5  rDev -3.5%

Living in Chicago I've had Zombie Dust often over the last 10 years. It had been passed up, but I feel like they may have changed the recipe based on Todd's arrival. The last two I've had, one bottle, one draft have been excellent.

4.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pretty as a peach, and that's the color too. One-finger of tan head sits stagnant. Slow waves of pine, resin and citrus to the nose. Tastes of citrus juice first and foremost, followed by faint notes of pine, a sclice of orange peel, some fine and spent grain, and a touch of caramel and a hint of spice. All is well-blended to near perfection and goes down crisp and easy.

4.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Exceptional beer. For how high the abv is, it's incredibly well balanced easpically for the high hop content. Notes of citrus on the nose, accompany a tart initial taste. A crisp, bitter finish that is surprisingly smooth. Great beer!

4.51/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I was surprised how much I actually liked this beer. I'm not a Hop fan but had to try it. It smelled sweet and had a nice bubbly feel. It wasn't as bitter as I was expecting. Good beer.

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look is a golden amber with nice white head.

Smell is mostly citrus with maybe some pine in the background.

Taste is big citrus followed by a nice and smooth bitterness.

Feel is smooth and carbonation is moderately.

Overall fresher is better with zombie dust. It has a tendency to fall off quickly. But a fresh bottle is a thing of beauty. For a pale ale (or ipa) this thing packs a punch of flavor.

4.56/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on draft at Lexington Beerworks in a pint glass

A-Golden with good carbonation and nice white head
S-nice fruity hoppy smell
M-Medium body with good carbonation on the tongue
T-Perfect bitterness mixed perfectly with the malt and fruitiness of the yeast and hops
O-a very satisfying beer with great flavors. While it's not my most favorite ever it is an outstanding beer.

4.2/5  rDev -7.3%

My brother (whom is high up in management at a major beer distributer) and nephew had been telling me about Zombie Dust for some time. It's hard for them to get this ,but I have been able to obtain it on a regular basis since the 3 Floyd's brewery is roughly a half hour away from where I live. They don't live in the area. My point is I think it is a great APA. But, to me the taste is overpowering......a little to hoppy/bitter. I do confess my preference is malty over hoppy though.

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Just picked up two bottles. First tried back in Sep 2016. Really nice IPS with extremely smooth feel and texture and wonderful finish. Will drink from a glass this time to see the color and get more aroma. Nice piney fruity taste with a little different taste than the Alpha. Both are fabulous. Driving through Indiana This spring and will try to stop at the brewery.

2.06/5  rDev -54.5%

I was so disappointed w this after hearing all the hype. To me it is just average at best. The one I opened was bottled 11-9-2016. Just nothing exciting at all. Will not be buying this one again for sure. There is just nothing to be excited about at all. Sorry guys, but I do not get it. To me New Belgium Ranger is just as good if not better.

3.64/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Didn't quite live up to the hype for me. Had excellent mouth feel, appearance, and head retention, but weak scent and flavor. My bottle was two weeks old so I expected it to pop with flavor.

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a 2-week-old bottle, pours a moderately hazy orange. Half-inch of foam leaves spotty lacing. Smell is grapefruit, pine and other assorted fruits. Taste is citrusy with spicy pine. Nice bready malt on the finish, followed by a modest bitterness. Feel is fantastic--very substantial for this ABV. Overall, this is just a great, great beer. Wish I could get it all the time.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

First had 6/15/15 at home. I drove my brother across the country and got to stop in and pick this up. My favorite pale ale, I wish I could get this stuff without driving 6 hours each way to Zanesville, Ohio (the closest place that sells it). Three Floyds is in my top three fave breweries.

Well, a time a go mid 90's the alpha king was a spicy, piney mess of goodness. Now the attention at this brewery is on the zombie dust. As it should be for the price point.

This brewery has made me realize some heaven on earth kind of thing with beer over the years. First, it was with alpha. To be conditioned on mass produced stuff and tasting alpha in the 90's made me realize that it made you really question what else have they been feeding me, kind of thing.

Today, I went down to the across the lines liquor store, like you cross one state to get to where they sell this and spent nearly 20 bucks in poor dunk Indiana to get this marvelous 6 pack of beer.
The best pale ale creation ever.

3.81/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle, bottled 26 days ago

A very smooth pour gives just a little more than a finger of head into my can-style glass. The head is maybe just a hair off white. Pillowy, a tiny bit soapy looking, but nothing bad. The body is on the darker side as far as pale ale’s go. It’s a deep orange, with some brown hues, slightly cloudy. Head retention is decent, after a few minutes, a little bit remains. Carbonation looks high. Overall it looks good so far.

The nose is lightly bitter with a soft, un offensive sweetness. Reminds me of vanilla or honey sweetness, maybe some caramel. Now that I’ve focused in on the malt profile, I can hardly notice the hops. Not quite an English pale ale, but definitely not a west coast pale ale. It’s not bad, just not what I’m used to. Very clean, but somewhat simple smelling. Maaaaybe some light fruit in here, but overall a very one dimensional hop presence. Overall it’s good.

Flavor is much the same, definitely getting a fair amount of honey out of this beer. Light bitterness hits at the beginning, and is drown out by the fairly large sweetness. Minimal to no lingering bitterness. I mean, there is just a lot of honey here. I’m not really sure how to grade this for taste. It tastes good, but it surely is not what I am used to, or what I would look for in a pale ale. I’ll let it warm a little bit, but for now, it’s good, not great.

The body is just about perfect for a pale, thick enough to hold it together, and light enough to be sessionable. The carbonation is a little confusing, it seems low, then high, never too low though. Regardless, it’s a good mouthfeel. Bitterness is not invasive.

The drinkability is very high. Low bitterness and a light body, in relation to the sweetness.

The flavor remained pretty much the same over the course of warming up. Overall this is a fine beer, just nothing stellar, in my opinion. I wouldn’t mind drinking it again.

The head that remained after the initial run off, hung around for quite some time. I got fantastic, thick lacing all the way down the glass. This was a really nice looking beer.

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Delicious brew. One of my favorite of all time. Smells especially hoppy on the first wiff. Goes down smooth and nice. Well worth the drive to Chicago if you can do it.

4.71/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I finally got to taste the renowned world famous Zombie Dust an APA from Three Floyds. It was via a beer trade. It did not disappoint. It is a truly amazing APA.

Look: Semi clear golden with a two-inch white head.

Aroma: The aroma is hoppy with citrus, tropical fruit and pine.

Taste: lots of tropical fruit, mango, pineapple, grapefruit, as well as pine resin, and it was dank.

Feel: Medium body, medium carbonation, juicy, just delicious.

4.69/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 1/5/15; drank 1/22/15 @ the Yarchives.

Poured from the bottle into a glass.

See-through orange appearance; champagne bubbles throughout.

HUGE off-white head; a curtain of lace.

Pineapple, fresh soap & peach nose; a hint of mango.

Thin mouthfeel.

Pineapple & peach flavors; mild hop & carbonation bite on the lips. Effervescent, like a fruit champagne. Excellent!

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.