Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,497 | Ratings: 9,634
4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

355ml bottle served in a pint glass.

A: No comment on the bottle art. Perfect design of Tim Seeley. A zombie that looks coming from a Spawn Graphic Novel. Pours a dark orange color. Slightly hazy. Forms a big, creamy and soapy yellow head with excellent retention and tons of lingering and soapy lacings left in the glass. A thin creamy layer remains forever on the top

S: Citra is really a great hop. I like it very much, mainly because of its tropical fruits profile. It's quite like mango and passion fruit mixed up. Strong malt character too. Caramel malts, mainly. A bit bready in the very end

T: Pretty like the nose. A slightly sweet upfront. Very fruity. Again, strong notes of mango and passion fruit. A bit of oxidization. A bit bready. Strong notes of caramel malts. Moderate but excellent bitterness. Excellent bittersweet balance

M: Medium body. A bit molasses. Good carbonation. Bittersweet caramel aftertaste

O: Excellent drinkability. Excellent FFF

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottle: Poured a clear amber color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of grapefruit and citrus hoppy notes is quite sublime with some very limited bitterness notes. Taste is also totally dominated by the best fresh grapefruit hoppy notes I have ever taste. Some citrus notes are also present with bitterness being at a low level for that kind of hops attack. Body is average with good carbonation. I was sceptical about how good this beer could be but was I ever wrong.

Bringing the old glass out of retirement...500+reviews and hasn't been used since...its clean don't worry!

Eye: Best pouring beer I've had in ages! Now its a cloudy orange in color and clarity, but the head definitely makes up for it. Two finger head creamy in texture with very nice lacing. Really, what more could you ask for; clarity...well that'd just be filtering out what makes this beer awesome. Head and lacing just stick around forever... can't really ask for much more.

Nose: Very nice citrus aroma from the hops, lemon but lime is key here. Very limey hop aroma. I'm loving this beer already just from smelling it! Really just awesome, I'm getting Kaffir Lime Leaves in the aroma here, I know that its just the hops, but damn! this is flipping great! Off the beaten path here, I mean its not floral, it is citrusy, but of a differnt type-not grapefruit. As it gets warmer some more floral character comes out.

Tongue: Exquisite balance between malt and hops here. Citrusy and orange type notes come from the hops, some lime in there as well. Damn! just overall one of the best beers I've ever had. It is definitely on my top ten list as you should better fucking try this beer! This beer is above all others in its category, it is easy drinking...I mean damn its hard to describe the perfect APA but this is it. Medium Body with appropriate carbonation, bitterness balances malt perfectly but this beer still ends with a hoppy and bitter profile. Everything just comes all together too perfectly, limey citrus type hops and soft bitterness that just does it....The best I"ve ever had!

Drinkability: The absolutely best American style APA I"ve ever had (as if 7-21-13). And I expect it will be quite a while until one tops this. Seriously, if you can find this than get it! absolutely awesome! I wish this beer was always available in my area, too damn bad. First beer in a long, long, long, time that has really reshaped the beer world for me. This has become a standard for me now and I am going to be comparing other beers to this....lets raise the bar!

2.16/5  rDev -52.3%

Great beer!

But it is not an American Pale Ale. Too hoppy for style classification. Disqualified.

Really, people. Pay attention to style. Styles have meanings and characteristics for the purpose of judging. Three floyds calls this an APA when it is an IPA based on the IBU and other criteria. Judging this to be a 100 in the world of American Pale Ales is like saying the best type of apple in the world is a banana. If you don't pay attention to style parameters you shouldn't be judging any beers at all, because otherwise all we're doing here is telling the world what your OPINION is of a specific beer, and frankly, I don't care about your opinion if you can't even compare a beer against its supposed style guidelines.

4.87/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Hazy orange with a slight white head. Some carbonation coming up from the bottom.

S: WOW! Sweet pineapple, mango, apricot, very intense juicy tropical fruit. A cascade of hops. Some caramel malt comes through followed by citrus, grapefruit,fresh oranges and a grilled pineapple quality. Biscuits bring the the rear in this amazing smelling beer.

T: Huge orange right at the front of the tongue. Citrus, sweet pineapple intermingle perfectly with an acidic kick. A dry pine forward finish. A nice hop bite at the end but nothing overpowering. Caramel malt is there and balanced perfectly with the endless amounts of hops.

M: A good clean and crisp mouthfeel. Medium carbonation makes this sucker easy to drink!

O: Fantastic stuff. The hops just shine and make my mouth water for more. I could easily sit and geek out and enjoy one or i could go through a whole six pack in a sitting. "Lives" up to the hype. /97

Served in a bottle and poured into a tulip glass
Finger thick head that stayed with decent carbonation
Grapefruit citrus aroma, very pleasing to smell
Crisp citrus piny hops, with a smooth drinkable bitter taste
Great lacing, from a Midwestern IPAD, Zombie dust is at the top of the heap

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- golden orange and translucent. Thin white head that dissipates quickly.
S- citrus hops, orange, pineapple, pine hops
T- juicy citrus flavors, lemon lime, pineapple, mango, orange, grapefruit
M- light body, well carbonated, juicy, dry finish, cleanses the palate after each sip
O- hop driven light apa. great citrus flavors and aroma. I could drink this everyday and never get tired of it.

4.67/5  rDev +3.1%

On-tap at Hopleaf in Chicago.

A: Golden color with some haze. Nice head and retention with some excellent lacing as I drink more.

S: Citra bomb. Tropical fruits exploding in the glass.

T: This is it for me. Hoppy as hell, but incredibly balanced. A superb example of a single hop beer that I would love to drink everyday

M: Light-medium bodied with nice levels of carbonation. Some stickiness from the hops.

O: This is up there for me. A damned near perfect beer.

4.36/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Acquired in a via Hombrepalo, cheers!

Pour is hazy, somewhere between amber and golden. Good carbonation, but the head goes away pretty fast.

Smell is hoppy, good citrus flavors. Maybe a bit bready.

Taste is almost limey, good hop presence but not overpowering in the least bit. Great balance. Bit of bread. Crisp, dry finish.

Smooth and refreshing. Almost a bit smokey. Lingering aftertaste is great. Very well done, and I’m very glad I got to try this.

4.99/5  rDev +10.2%

Great beer. I guess I am lucky that one of the first good beers I tried is so high on the best beers list. Fantastic beer. It is very smooth when drinking even though it has an IBU score of 60. I will always purchase when it is available, but it is hard to find even though I live in Indiana.

4.27/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 FL OZ bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - It is a hazy orange color with gold highlights. An aggressive pour yielded several inches of orange tinged, beige head.

S - It smells like fresh grapefruit. I even detect a little malt.

T - It starts out with a mild citrus flavor with an increasing bitterness on the finish. The more I drink the more the flavor builds on my palate. Towards the end of the beer the grapefruit bitterness is very pronounced.

M - Medium with plenty of carbonation. I get some chalkiness on my tongue.

O - This is another flavorful APA from Three Floyds. I have missed this beer a couple times by one day at local bars. I have the generosity of a stranger at Brewery Vivant to thank for the opportunity to try this beer. I like this beer, but it seems overhyped. Although, it makes a great session beer. After having this beer I did crave another. Sadly, I will have to wait until August when I visit the brewpub.

4.76/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- Pours a moderate to deep, golden orange. Fairly hazy with a 2.5 finger head by the time it got to the table. Head retention is tremendous on a mostly frothy head. Lacing is a larger latticework down the glass and very consistent.

S- Huge, big, colossal amounts of piney hops bitterness. Slight floral notes intermingle towards the middle of the scent, but almost the entire hops presence is pine flavors. No malt scents escape the domination of the hops.

T- Once again, the hops bitterness begins and proceeds to dominate the flavor of the beer throughout. More bitter, pine hops flavors that are moderate to strong. Tastes like an IPA for the first half of the beer, before letting up a little for the tiniest hint of malts. At the end of the drink, it's right back to the piney and floral hop flavors. Lingering bitterness on the tongue.

M- High in carbonation, yet thick feeling for a pale ale. Big hops are harsh on the tongue, but their deliciousness begs to be drank. Sessionable if savored, yet quaffable if thirsty.

Overall, it lives up to the hype. Not quite as smooth and balanced as a Pliny, but Three Floyds isn't going to smooth; they're looking to crush you with undead hops....and they are victorious.

4.32/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: the label says this beer is "gushing", and that was definitely my experience. Medium orange hue with a touch of haze and a strong effervescence. Head is two fingers of pillowy, creamy ivory foam with great retention.

Smell: sweet, rich malt with a good citrusy, grapefruity character. There's some earthy pininess in the mix as well; I like it.

Taste: very citrusy all around, but with a very smooth bitterness characteristic of Citra. Bittering is also relatively low, consistent with the APA style. Extremely well balanced; this is not a hop bomb but stays within style while still being very hoppy and flavorful. I was really looking forward to this beer; I guess I was expecting something over-the-top, but I am even more impressed by its quality while still adhering to stylistic guidelines.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation for the style and a satisfying creaminess. Good stuff!

Overall: exceedingly well balanced and incredibly drinkable. I wish I could get this beer more easily in these parts. It would definitely have a regular place in my fridge.

4.29/5  rDev -5.3%

Amazing beer had on tap at Local Option in Chicago. One of the best beers I have ever had. Awesome balance of hops and super clean finish. Aroma is super inviting and pulls you into the glass. For an APA the mouthfeel was standard nothing to full but not weak either. Color leaves a little to be desired, the pale yellow was not super inviting. Wish I could get this in Orlando!

4.77/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a rich copper color with a nice half inch white head. Smells of citrus fruits and hops. The taste is an excellent balance of citrus that hits my mouth on the front end, with a nice hoppy bite on the back-end. Hops are great balance and not overwhelming. Cannot taste any of the alcohol. A really great beer I could drink all the time, wish I had access to it here in NYC.

4.61/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into a tulip.

Pours a rich copper color with a half inch white head. The smell is big on citrusy hops, wow, impressive. The taste...just blows me away. This is so complex and such a rush of flavors. piney, citrusy, sweet, bitter, malty. everything combined into one. i can't describe them all. Every sip is something new, and i find myself taking continuous sips to try and pinpoint all that my mouth is experiencing. Great feel as well, medium bodied with medium carbonation. superbly easy to drink.

Overall this is a world class beer that lives up to the hype, and may even exceed it. I've never tasted another beer quite like this one. I wish i could have it all the time.

4.1/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Pours a clear golden orange with an off-white 2-finger head. Good retention leads to a solid layer of microbubbles across the top. Fair lacing all-around the glass with good stick. I don't usually count bottle artwork into the appearance score, but this bottle is too baddass not to add another half point.

Smell - Moderate orange pith aroma. Generic malt sweetness; hard to pinpoint the driving character.

Taste - Mild orange character upfront and throughout. Juicy. Malt sweetness that doesn't quite hit caramel, nor is it quite bready either; somewhere in between, or a touch of both, however you'd word it. Flavors don't overwhelm, but hit their stride at the finish with harmony and that great balance. Lingers with a very mild orange pith bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Medium in body with moderate carbonation. Silky smooth feel. Goes down with such amazing ease, it's basically chuggable.

Overall - Another well-balanced pale from 3 Floyds. This one didn't blow me away as the scores have suggested, but I found it rather enjoyable all the same. Definitely trade worthy, but don't overvalue on your end to get your hands on it.

4.99/5  rDev +10.2%

As someone who was raised on Two Hearted Ale, this is tough for me to say, but: Zombie is the best Pale Ale I have ever drank (I know THA is technically an IPA, but so should ZD be). Incredibly smooth and juicy Citra hops on the nose and on the tongue. Perfect level of carbonation. Excellent head formation and retention. Hops stay and stay after you are done. Perfect.

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Best Pale Ale I've ever had. Bottle has some badass artwork as do all three floyd bottles. A little Fruity definitely good hop taste and aroma. Very deserving of the high spot it holds on the list. Made a trade to get ahold of it definitely worth it.

4.31/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Pale gold, hazed, white head has good retention and lace.

S/T/M - Just solid all the way around. Tropical citrus hop bouquet with resinous pine tastes. Caramel sweetness, moderate bitterness over a medium body and medium carbonation. Finishes crisp, some hop oils left behind. Drank my imperial pint in no time.

O - More like an IPA in flavor profile, but easy drinking like a pale ale. Very nice brew.

4.44/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - copper amber in color, nearly clear, some haze, but not cloudy. Head is full at pour, but does fade rather quickly.

S - fresh sharp green Hop aroma. Citrusy overall, excellent.

T - significant hop bite at the front, with a thick malt follow up that doesn't quite, balance the hops. There is some malty sweetness, but it enhances rather than detracts from the overall flavor. This beer reaches the upper bounds of malty sweetness without becoming cloying.

M - there a malty thickness that provides more thickness than expected. Carbonation seems on the low side of just right.

O - one of my favorites.

4.99/5  rDev +10.2%

Zombie dust was gifted to me by a liquor store mate who finds us rare beers in CA. The bottle at first glance is 100 percent awesome (A zombie king dark lord deal).Opening the bottle provided an aroma of smooth hops. The taste was unbelievable, It was completely everything you can ask for which provided a great hoppy taste which provides a lesser to stronger to a very lesser taste. Brushing around the pallet leaves your mouth thirsty for more. I was craving this beer for weeks after having tasted it. This is a jewel in my book, a very smooth fantastic tasting beer. Won't EVER pass up a zombie dust.

3.9/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had it on tap as Three Floyds brough their lineup out to Portland OR.

Smelled great. Nice and hoppy and very aromatic.

The color looked very inviting and it had a nice 2 finger white head on it.

mouthfeel was fine, just like most any other IPA

Taste. Very hoppy and more than you will find in a lot of Pale Ales.

overall: hate to say this, but did not live up to the hype. dont get me wrong, an enjoyable beer. but really not all that distinguishable from dozens of other pale ales and IPAs that are out there. I actually feel this way about a lot of IPAs, but this one in particular did not stand out one way or another and that bummed me out because I was so looking forward to trying it. It came off as just another hoppy IPA without any flavors that made me say wow. I could have been drinking a Sierra Nevada IPA or a Green Flash.

4.61/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Got a fresh six pack in a recent trade and decided to crack open one after a 15 hour work day.

The aroma is great. Citra is one of my favorite hops and the citrus/tropical fruits as well as grass and pine really commingle nicely in the glass. Fresh, clean and crisp are the three adjectives I would use to describe it.

Flavor profile is fantastic. Nice hop bite up font with the hops and malt balancing back and forth. Carbonation is refreshing and the mouthfeel is great. The only thing I think that could improve is the finish. I would have loved a LONG finish. This beer's finish is short, sweet and to the point. Definitely doesn't take away from it as a whole and most certainly doesn't alter my grade.

A fantastic APA. At the end of the day, I think it represents the Pale Ale style nicely. Sure the hops are a little more aggressive than in your run-of-the-mill Pale Ale, but it is the pinnacle of the style. So glad I get to tick this one off.

There is a reason that this is no 4 in the world right now.

A-amber with the stickiest white head ever

S-hops, fruity, bready

T - a citrus bomb hoppy but smooth so pleasant to drink

M-can't really remember because I was thinking how good it tastes

O-can't think of anything better than this. Only thing is I would call it an ipa instead of an apa. Went to buy a case at the brewpub and they were out. Crushing news.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.