Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,510 | Ratings: 9,734
4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

Not a huge fan of "stronger" beers, but this is fantastic. The hints of grapefruit are phenomenal and the ABV is by no means overpowering. Don't drink and chew mint gum! The best part of this beer, aside from the taste, is trying to find it. This is the closest thing to the baseball card and later action figure hunts I went on years ago. Fun!!

4.41/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Southhampton pint glass. Thanks to Lewie8619 for this.

A - Light burnt orange. Eggshell head with nice lacing.

S - Cat piss, mango, light biscuit.

T- Peach, mango, cat piss, light black tea. Very light malt backbone. Well balanced.

M - Medium carbonation, creamy mouthfeel. Very nice.

O - Very flavorful, easy drinking, great mouthfeel. An overall great beer.

4.36/5  rDev -3.8%

12 ounce bottle, from a freshie case purchased at the brewery about one week ago.

Pours a hazed, dull tone of medium amber. Staying khaki cap, frothy and on the looser side. Leaves low sheeting, blobs and strands of lace.

Yummy tropical fruit nose, with ripe melon and mango.

Fine quality and great testing brew from FFF. Tropical fruit notes continue all the way to the finish. Smooth and so flavorful. Hops hops and more hops but they are not overly bitter or resinous. Fruity and again tropical notes come to mind.

World class APA, glad to have been able to enjoy a few pints of this on tap at the brewery with dinner and then walk away with a case to bring home.

3.13/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle. Hazy burnt orange pour with a white head. Grapefruity hop aromas. Bitter and with bland almost grapefruit hops, but not really. Very unbalanced with little malt characteristics. Somewhat dry and uninspiring. Hey, the label is cool and I’m glad I got to try it...

4.43/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into snifter. Thanks Erik!

A: Pours a glowing burnt golden color with about a finger of greasy off-white head. Head quickly faded into a bubbly film that left a few spots of soapy lace down the glass.
S: Huge juicy and fresh notes of grapefruit juice and tropical fruits. Sweet smelling, fragrant, and juicy. Faint bready pale malt in the background.
T: Follows the nose with juicy tropical fruit nectar and grapefruit citrus rind. Sweet and juicy overall but very clean and refreshing. The finish contains hints of pale malt and the aftertaste is full of bitter grapefruit pith, leafy green hops, and bready malt.
M: Very smooth and crisp mouthfeel, medium body, refreshing and drinkable. Soft and bubbly carbonation.
O: An extremely hopped up pale; I’m pretty sure I’ve had a ton of IPA’s that weren’t this hoppy. Very delicious. Thanks again for your generosity, Erik.

3.71/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

On tap at the Village Idiot in Lexington.
Pour is clear, orange-amber in color, and topped by a small head that hs decent retention and rather limited lacing.
Hoppy aroma aloows only a hint of malt to show through.
This is a weedy tasting, very hoppy, APA, with enough sweet hops to give a momentary sweet taste at the start and to limit the overall bitterness to a moderate level.
Medium body with a touch of harshness from the alcohol. Seems like the ABV is higher than 6.4%. Overall, seems more like an IPA than an APA.

4.77/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serving type: Tap

A: Dark orange with a slight haze. Big, strong head with a thing layer that stays throughout the beer.

S: Strong, dank smell that stays with you. Along with FFF's Dreadnaught, strongest nose on a beer that I've ever had.

T: This is a beer that gets all the press it receives. Strong hop flavors that mix perfectly. Sweet upfront, with a fruity flavor. The sweet/bittersweet mix is perfect.

M: The carbonation on this one is perfect. Strong hop flavor upfront that stays with you throughout, finishing in a carmel malt flavor that stays with you.

O: Having this on tap for the first time today at Three Floyd's Brewpub exceeded all expectations. Couldn't not have been happier with this beer... was even happier when I found out that they had cases available!

3.94/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Slightly hazy, light orange color with white head, decent retention
S: Citra hops - lots of orange, some grapefruit, and general citrussy notes
T: Taste backs up the smell with lots of orange and some grapefuit citra hops. Hoppy for a pale ale but that's how FFF does yet it is still very well balanced.
M: Light-Medium bodied with good level of carbonation.
O: Very nice, well rounded, and extremely drinkable beer. Love the citra hop forward flavor and aroma.

4.71/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - Orange in color with a thin white head

Smell - This is by far the best smelling beer I have ever had, hands down. There are so many fruit and hop smells going on it's hard to even pin them down. Massive amounts of grapefruit and pineapple are definitely present with mango as well. The hop smell is dank and wet and coats our nose. I could not be more pleased with this aroma

Taste - Unlike many single APA's or IPA's that have a fantastic aroma and then have none or few of those flavors in the actual beer (Founders All Day IPA comes to mind) this beer is far from that. Everything you smell in the beer is there on the first sip. The initial wave is amazing, just as the first smell is. A gush of mango and pineapple and grapefruit come over the tongue with a wet dank hop taste following. However the only 60 IBU's and 6.5% ABV start to show as the more the beer is drank the more watery the flavor becomes and results in this beer having almost no lingering flavor on the tongue and no aftertaste

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is very thin here, almost water like. It makes the beer very session-able and will leave you wanting to drink more, but not necessarily because of the flavor profile, which off the bat is fantastic

Overall - This is without a doubt the best APA I have ever had and also has the best aroma of any beer I have ever had. That being said I was a bit disappointed in the mouthfeel and the lack of a real flavor punch I would expect from a beer that is so highly rated. It is a fantastic beer and definitely worth trying, but is not quite to the pedestal that people put it on, especially compared to Hopslam or Heady Topper. I understand those are DIPA's versus an APA but just the fact that all three are rated in the top 20 for beers

4.55/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I figured I'd do my first full review on a legend--3 Floyds Zombie Dust. I'm a HUGE hopehead, so I've been eager to try this one for quite a while, especially given its near messianic status on this site (as well as others).

Poured into a tulip glass, the first thing I took in was the smell--Awesome; fresh and fruity, with plenty of hop character, this one doesn't smell nearly as "stinky" as expected (I figured the 'Zombie Dust' would have to figure in somewhere). Got a good inch, maybe inch and a quarter of foam, and the beer pours a satisfying golden orange color (relatively opaque). Not bad so far.

Two things stood out on my first sip: 1) This isn't the taste revolution I was expecting (based on hype), and 2) it's an incredibly balanced beer. It's got a full hop flavor for a beer this light (and it IS relatively light), and everything feels very even. Starts out with lots of citrus and hops, finishes with a more wheaty, creamy taste.

Don't get me wrong, this is indeed a great beer, and I can certainly see why people like it so much--It combines the flavorful qualities of a DIPA with the lightness and drinkability of a session beer. With that being said, if I'm going just based on whether I'd choose this over my favorite hoppy beers (Navaja by Half Acre, IIPA by New Glarus, and RuinTen by Stone), the answer is no.

So I guess this is what I'll say in the end: As a pale ale, or just a hoppy session beer, this is easily one of the best. But if you're obsessed with hops, chances are you'll find other beers that satisfy your craving more.

Kudos to FFF though, for a great job brewing, and for the fantastic bottle art!

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Fricking deliciousoso!!! One of my all time favorites when I lived in Chicago. My only problem with this beer is its consistency. It seems as though each bottle is slightly different from the same case or six pack. Not sure what three F's does but when I made the voyage to pick up some cases each bottle was slightly different in flavor and aroma.

4.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle: Couldn't take it serious at first.. It brought me back to my POG days and thinking the best looking POG was the coolest.. I was a little apprehensive at first..

Pouring it into the glass I noticed a slight cloudiness (as opposed to the other "greats" I have tried) I was wondering why it was this hue, and then I took a whif.. hmmm.. A bit of stinkyness that draws me in.. Kind of a musty oldness that calls my name...

Once I took a sip, I noticed that it was different than most traditional APA's and its close cousin the IPA.. It stood out.. It had a great aged lemony taste, and as you drink you get that skunky citrus that hit you when you opened the bottle...

Super smooth and creamy on the feel.. So cream and smooth that its weird it doesn't taste like a milkshake.. It is really pleasant on the palate... This is my favorite feature of this beer thus far..

I have a lot to explore in my beer wold. I cant wait to introduce some of these beauties into my new Cafe..

If anyone has some recommendations on great craft beers to bring into Avocado Cafe, Please email me at [email protected]

4.56/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Not sure how this one ended up in beer fridge, but I'm happy it's there. FFF is one of my favs and I've never tried this.

Poured the 120z bottle into a standard pint glass to review.

Very loosely packed head of about an inch in height. Cloudy and golden yellow in color.

Smells very clean and hoppy with citrus and pine notes dominating.

Taste is certainly hop forward; citrus and pine again, as the nose predicted.

Medium body with a creamy smooth drinkability making it go down very quickly.

I wish I could get this more regularly, it is a great beer. I like it a lot more than Alpha King and this would work as a nice option to Sierra Nevada which is a staple for me.

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

355ml bottle served in a pint glass.

A: No comment on the bottle art. Perfect design of Tim Seeley. A zombie that looks coming from a Spawn Graphic Novel. Pours a dark orange color. Slightly hazy. Forms a big, creamy and soapy yellow head with excellent retention and tons of lingering and soapy lacings left in the glass. A thin creamy layer remains forever on the top

S: Citra is really a great hop. I like it very much, mainly because of its tropical fruits profile. It's quite like mango and passion fruit mixed up. Strong malt character too. Caramel malts, mainly. A bit bready in the very end

T: Pretty like the nose. A slightly sweet upfront. Very fruity. Again, strong notes of mango and passion fruit. A bit of oxidization. A bit bready. Strong notes of caramel malts. Moderate but excellent bitterness. Excellent bittersweet balance

M: Medium body. A bit molasses. Good carbonation. Bittersweet caramel aftertaste

O: Excellent drinkability. Excellent FFF

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottle: Poured a clear amber color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of grapefruit and citrus hoppy notes is quite sublime with some very limited bitterness notes. Taste is also totally dominated by the best fresh grapefruit hoppy notes I have ever taste. Some citrus notes are also present with bitterness being at a low level for that kind of hops attack. Body is average with good carbonation. I was sceptical about how good this beer could be but was I ever wrong.

Bringing the old glass out of retirement...500+reviews and hasn't been used since...its clean don't worry!

Eye: Best pouring beer I've had in ages! Now its a cloudy orange in color and clarity, but the head definitely makes up for it. Two finger head creamy in texture with very nice lacing. Really, what more could you ask for; clarity...well that'd just be filtering out what makes this beer awesome. Head and lacing just stick around forever... can't really ask for much more.

Nose: Very nice citrus aroma from the hops, lemon but lime is key here. Very limey hop aroma. I'm loving this beer already just from smelling it! Really just awesome, I'm getting Kaffir Lime Leaves in the aroma here, I know that its just the hops, but damn! this is flipping great! Off the beaten path here, I mean its not floral, it is citrusy, but of a differnt type-not grapefruit. As it gets warmer some more floral character comes out.

Tongue: Exquisite balance between malt and hops here. Citrusy and orange type notes come from the hops, some lime in there as well. Damn! just overall one of the best beers I've ever had. It is definitely on my top ten list as you should better fucking try this beer! This beer is above all others in its category, it is easy drinking...I mean damn its hard to describe the perfect APA but this is it. Medium Body with appropriate carbonation, bitterness balances malt perfectly but this beer still ends with a hoppy and bitter profile. Everything just comes all together too perfectly, limey citrus type hops and soft bitterness that just does it....The best I"ve ever had!

Drinkability: The absolutely best American style APA I"ve ever had (as if 7-21-13). And I expect it will be quite a while until one tops this. Seriously, if you can find this than get it! absolutely awesome! I wish this beer was always available in my area, too damn bad. First beer in a long, long, long, time that has really reshaped the beer world for me. This has become a standard for me now and I am going to be comparing other beers to this....lets raise the bar!

2.16/5  rDev -52.3%

Great beer!

But it is not an American Pale Ale. Too hoppy for style classification. Disqualified.

Really, people. Pay attention to style. Styles have meanings and characteristics for the purpose of judging. Three floyds calls this an APA when it is an IPA based on the IBU and other criteria. Judging this to be a 100 in the world of American Pale Ales is like saying the best type of apple in the world is a banana. If you don't pay attention to style parameters you shouldn't be judging any beers at all, because otherwise all we're doing here is telling the world what your OPINION is of a specific beer, and frankly, I don't care about your opinion if you can't even compare a beer against its supposed style guidelines.

4.87/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Hazy orange with a slight white head. Some carbonation coming up from the bottom.

S: WOW! Sweet pineapple, mango, apricot, very intense juicy tropical fruit. A cascade of hops. Some caramel malt comes through followed by citrus, grapefruit,fresh oranges and a grilled pineapple quality. Biscuits bring the the rear in this amazing smelling beer.

T: Huge orange right at the front of the tongue. Citrus, sweet pineapple intermingle perfectly with an acidic kick. A dry pine forward finish. A nice hop bite at the end but nothing overpowering. Caramel malt is there and balanced perfectly with the endless amounts of hops.

M: A good clean and crisp mouthfeel. Medium carbonation makes this sucker easy to drink!

O: Fantastic stuff. The hops just shine and make my mouth water for more. I could easily sit and geek out and enjoy one or i could go through a whole six pack in a sitting. "Lives" up to the hype. /97

Served in a bottle and poured into a tulip glass
Finger thick head that stayed with decent carbonation
Grapefruit citrus aroma, very pleasing to smell
Crisp citrus piny hops, with a smooth drinkable bitter taste
Great lacing, from a Midwestern IPAD, Zombie dust is at the top of the heap

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- golden orange and translucent. Thin white head that dissipates quickly.
S- citrus hops, orange, pineapple, pine hops
T- juicy citrus flavors, lemon lime, pineapple, mango, orange, grapefruit
M- light body, well carbonated, juicy, dry finish, cleanses the palate after each sip
O- hop driven light apa. great citrus flavors and aroma. I could drink this everyday and never get tired of it.

4.67/5  rDev +3.1%

On-tap at Hopleaf in Chicago.

A: Golden color with some haze. Nice head and retention with some excellent lacing as I drink more.

S: Citra bomb. Tropical fruits exploding in the glass.

T: This is it for me. Hoppy as hell, but incredibly balanced. A superb example of a single hop beer that I would love to drink everyday

M: Light-medium bodied with nice levels of carbonation. Some stickiness from the hops.

O: This is up there for me. A damned near perfect beer.

4.36/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Acquired in a via Hombrepalo, cheers!

Pour is hazy, somewhere between amber and golden. Good carbonation, but the head goes away pretty fast.

Smell is hoppy, good citrus flavors. Maybe a bit bready.

Taste is almost limey, good hop presence but not overpowering in the least bit. Great balance. Bit of bread. Crisp, dry finish.

Smooth and refreshing. Almost a bit smokey. Lingering aftertaste is great. Very well done, and I’m very glad I got to try this.

4.99/5  rDev +10.2%

Great beer. I guess I am lucky that one of the first good beers I tried is so high on the best beers list. Fantastic beer. It is very smooth when drinking even though it has an IBU score of 60. I will always purchase when it is available, but it is hard to find even though I live in Indiana.

4.27/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 FL OZ bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - It is a hazy orange color with gold highlights. An aggressive pour yielded several inches of orange tinged, beige head.

S - It smells like fresh grapefruit. I even detect a little malt.

T - It starts out with a mild citrus flavor with an increasing bitterness on the finish. The more I drink the more the flavor builds on my palate. Towards the end of the beer the grapefruit bitterness is very pronounced.

M - Medium with plenty of carbonation. I get some chalkiness on my tongue.

O - This is another flavorful APA from Three Floyds. I have missed this beer a couple times by one day at local bars. I have the generosity of a stranger at Brewery Vivant to thank for the opportunity to try this beer. I like this beer, but it seems overhyped. Although, it makes a great session beer. After having this beer I did crave another. Sadly, I will have to wait until August when I visit the brewpub.

4.76/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- Pours a moderate to deep, golden orange. Fairly hazy with a 2.5 finger head by the time it got to the table. Head retention is tremendous on a mostly frothy head. Lacing is a larger latticework down the glass and very consistent.

S- Huge, big, colossal amounts of piney hops bitterness. Slight floral notes intermingle towards the middle of the scent, but almost the entire hops presence is pine flavors. No malt scents escape the domination of the hops.

T- Once again, the hops bitterness begins and proceeds to dominate the flavor of the beer throughout. More bitter, pine hops flavors that are moderate to strong. Tastes like an IPA for the first half of the beer, before letting up a little for the tiniest hint of malts. At the end of the drink, it's right back to the piney and floral hop flavors. Lingering bitterness on the tongue.

M- High in carbonation, yet thick feeling for a pale ale. Big hops are harsh on the tongue, but their deliciousness begs to be drank. Sessionable if savored, yet quaffable if thirsty.

Overall, it lives up to the hype. Not quite as smooth and balanced as a Pliny, but Three Floyds isn't going to smooth; they're looking to crush you with undead hops....and they are victorious.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.