Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,547 | Ratings: 9,945
4.69/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap at Hopleaf. Super fresh, this is one of those, "hard to beat" beers. Incredibly complex, floral aromas meld together seamlessly with lots and lots of citrus. Tons of grapefruit tones come through with a touch of sweetness.

I'm always thankful that I live 2 blocks from Hopleaf and can get this on tap whenever the mood calls for it!

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle in my 3Floyds glass. Thanks to Robert for this!

A- Pours a very nice light amber color, head is almost pure white. A healthy head forms which retains very well and laces the glass intensely as you drink the beer.

S- Smells very nice. Fresh hops, hints of malt, and fruity sweetness. Smells like a nicely hopped pale ale.

T- Very crisp and dry intially, smooth and refreshing. After a few seconds I start to pick up more of the malt profile with the aftertaste being primarily fresh hop flavor with citrus notes from the citra hop. Lemony pinapple flavor.

M- Pretty much spot on for the style. Maybe a little bit on the heavy side, but all other aspects are great. Nice complexity.

O- Overall this is a great APA, but really dances the line between an IPA and APA. Very drinkable and tasty, with amazing complexity. There isn't much you could do to make this beer better aside from getting them to me fresher!

-GFunk

Found it on-tap a few times around Chicago.

A: Looks like the way the perfect hoppy ale should. Orange with a finger of foam.

S: Fresh with beautiful aroma of citrus and floral hops.

T: It's taste like the worlds greatest IPA, the low alch makes it pale ale, but the theres is defiantly an IPA vibe here. beautiful balance, honestly perfect.

O: The hype is right on. Its unbelievable beer that should be obtained at any chance you have. Honestly the perfect Pale Ale.

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

First of all Three Floyd's does it right! Yes, you might have to wait to get into the brew pub but trust me it's well worth the wait. I love the name and love the art work. Three Floyd's have nailed it once again. It's such a flavorful pale ale. I am a stout girl but my goodness this is great!

4.42/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured on tap into an imperial pint at the brewpub in Munster.

A: Very orange, very cloudy with 2 fingers of offwhite head. Looks great.

S: This is one you can smell from a distance - very very fresh, extremely citrusy, juicy, and somewhat floral.

T: Almost IPA, but with a bit more of a sweetness to it. Honey and citrus running together over a bit of bread. The taste is solid and strong but not at all overwhelming. When it hits your palate it explodes with flavor and then washes away clean. Super drinakable.

Overall a great beer as its reputation shows. Definitely not overrated. Huge huge flavor and character from an American Pale Ale. Not too in your face but with huge flavor.

4.84/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: Great hazy apricot-ish orange looking shade. Head is a bit off white.

S: Just an awesome balance of hops, grapefruit, pineapple, and toast.

T: Pretty much everything from the nose transfers over. Get a bit of booze in the finish that rolls into a kind of almond nuttiness. Carbonation is SUPER balanced. Finish just likes to linger.

M: Solid medium body. Really smooth. A little oily, but it fades quickly.

O: EXTREMELY balanced and bold, especially for being a pale ale. I'm going to have to go to Munster/Chicago for some more sometime soon.

4.6/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle poured into Societe glass. Thanks to bcm75 for making this happen!

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden orange with a half finger of cream-colored head, which quickly dissipates to a ring a mottled film. Spotty lacing is left down the glass.

S: Tons of citrusy hop-forward character and a little bit of a sweet malt giving off an almost cotton candy aroma. Plenty of grapefruit.

T/M: This hits the tongue with a little bit of citrusy zest and a crisp, well carbonated, medium mouthfeel. Citrusy hop character swells over the course of the sip, finishing lightly bitter with a nice citric note. Malt is sweet almost like candy, but not overwhelming... very good. Incredibly drinkable. The carbonation in this beer is prickly and at just the right level. Taste is full of citrusy hop character, but is never overwhelming.

O: A really great beer. Much like with Pliny the Elder as the pinnacle of its style, I am not overwhelmed by any one thing about this beer (excepting that the mouthfeel is absolutely perfect). It's just a very well crafted beer all around with no major flaws, and that goes a really long way. I would drink this very frequently if I had regular access to it.

4.79/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Recently sampled on a trip to Chicago. What can I say, definitely lived up to the hype! Extremely drinkable, and wonderfully well-balanced hop forward pale ale. The citra hops are profiled with expert precision with those tropical notes on exhibition from the smell through every sip. This beer is a real work of art, very much worth seeking out.

Overall a Great beer. Bright clear orange/amber color and an aroma that reminded me of peeling an orange. Light mouthfeel and excellent strong hop and citrus flavor doesn't have a lingering coppery taste that I've noticed in some ipa's or dipa's. hands down best ipa/pale ale I've ever had the pleasure of tasting.

Pours a hazy amber color with a creamy head. Smell is divine and taste is hoppy but not overpowering. This beer is worth the hype and should be at the very top of any list for any serious beer drinkers . Three Floyds never disappoints and this shows it masterfully.
Try it if you have the chance.

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a slightly hazy amber with billowy off-white head that dissipates quickly. Good lacing. It looks like a world class ale in the glass. The nose is all hops. Intense tropical fruit aromas with a whiff of grass and lemon. Bitterness at the front of the palate gives way to a malty middle that finishes with a floral, lemony hoppiness. Light bodied with great carbonation make this a very refreshing pale. Overall this a well crafted pale, complexity to rival the best DIPAs on BA with an ABV low enough to make it just about sessionable, a most impressive achievement. Thanks Xthul!

A - Hazy reddish orange color with a nice 2" just off white head tons of lacing. The soft foam fills above the rim of the glass and leaves a small crater

S - Tropical fruits, grapefruit, just smells so juicy! Nice citra hop aroma

T - I like how they use the word "gushing" in the description of this beer, because that is exactly what I think of when trying to describe the taste. It is loaded with citra hop but its so well balanced it does not leave any unpleasantness at all.

M - Refreshing, but full of flavor, not too much alcohol, probably the perfect amount for an IPA / APA in my opinion.

Label art is probably the coolest out there. Like a page from a comic book, except shiny metallic! Since I live roughly an hour from the brewery, this is frequently stocked at my house. I just love this beer. I know perfect scores should be very hard to come by, but this beer is what changed my outlook on beer forever. I have read by some that this beer is overrated, but it is truly the best single IPA i have ever had, and what is even more amazing is that I can get it regularly. Thank you 3F!

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

Not a huge fan of "stronger" beers, but this is fantastic. The hints of grapefruit are phenomenal and the ABV is by no means overpowering. Don't drink and chew mint gum! The best part of this beer, aside from the taste, is trying to find it. This is the closest thing to the baseball card and later action figure hunts I went on years ago. Fun!!

4.41/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Southhampton pint glass. Thanks to Lewie8619 for this.

A - Light burnt orange. Eggshell head with nice lacing.

S - Cat piss, mango, light biscuit.

T- Peach, mango, cat piss, light black tea. Very light malt backbone. Well balanced.

M - Medium carbonation, creamy mouthfeel. Very nice.

O - Very flavorful, easy drinking, great mouthfeel. An overall great beer.

4.36/5  rDev -3.8%

12 ounce bottle, from a freshie case purchased at the brewery about one week ago.

Pours a hazed, dull tone of medium amber. Staying khaki cap, frothy and on the looser side. Leaves low sheeting, blobs and strands of lace.

Yummy tropical fruit nose, with ripe melon and mango.

Fine quality and great testing brew from FFF. Tropical fruit notes continue all the way to the finish. Smooth and so flavorful. Hops hops and more hops but they are not overly bitter or resinous. Fruity and again tropical notes come to mind.

World class APA, glad to have been able to enjoy a few pints of this on tap at the brewery with dinner and then walk away with a case to bring home.

3.13/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle. Hazy burnt orange pour with a white head. Grapefruity hop aromas. Bitter and with bland almost grapefruit hops, but not really. Very unbalanced with little malt characteristics. Somewhat dry and uninspiring. Hey, the label is cool and I’m glad I got to try it...

4.43/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into snifter. Thanks Erik!

A: Pours a glowing burnt golden color with about a finger of greasy off-white head. Head quickly faded into a bubbly film that left a few spots of soapy lace down the glass.
S: Huge juicy and fresh notes of grapefruit juice and tropical fruits. Sweet smelling, fragrant, and juicy. Faint bready pale malt in the background.
T: Follows the nose with juicy tropical fruit nectar and grapefruit citrus rind. Sweet and juicy overall but very clean and refreshing. The finish contains hints of pale malt and the aftertaste is full of bitter grapefruit pith, leafy green hops, and bready malt.
M: Very smooth and crisp mouthfeel, medium body, refreshing and drinkable. Soft and bubbly carbonation.
O: An extremely hopped up pale; I’m pretty sure I’ve had a ton of IPA’s that weren’t this hoppy. Very delicious. Thanks again for your generosity, Erik.

3.71/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

On tap at the Village Idiot in Lexington.
Pour is clear, orange-amber in color, and topped by a small head that hs decent retention and rather limited lacing.
Hoppy aroma aloows only a hint of malt to show through.
This is a weedy tasting, very hoppy, APA, with enough sweet hops to give a momentary sweet taste at the start and to limit the overall bitterness to a moderate level.
Medium body with a touch of harshness from the alcohol. Seems like the ABV is higher than 6.4%. Overall, seems more like an IPA than an APA.

4.77/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serving type: Tap

A: Dark orange with a slight haze. Big, strong head with a thing layer that stays throughout the beer.

S: Strong, dank smell that stays with you. Along with FFF's Dreadnaught, strongest nose on a beer that I've ever had.

T: This is a beer that gets all the press it receives. Strong hop flavors that mix perfectly. Sweet upfront, with a fruity flavor. The sweet/bittersweet mix is perfect.

M: The carbonation on this one is perfect. Strong hop flavor upfront that stays with you throughout, finishing in a carmel malt flavor that stays with you.

O: Having this on tap for the first time today at Three Floyd's Brewpub exceeded all expectations. Couldn't not have been happier with this beer... was even happier when I found out that they had cases available!

3.94/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Slightly hazy, light orange color with white head, decent retention
S: Citra hops - lots of orange, some grapefruit, and general citrussy notes
T: Taste backs up the smell with lots of orange and some grapefuit citra hops. Hoppy for a pale ale but that's how FFF does yet it is still very well balanced.
M: Light-Medium bodied with good level of carbonation.
O: Very nice, well rounded, and extremely drinkable beer. Love the citra hop forward flavor and aroma.

4.71/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - Orange in color with a thin white head

Smell - This is by far the best smelling beer I have ever had, hands down. There are so many fruit and hop smells going on it's hard to even pin them down. Massive amounts of grapefruit and pineapple are definitely present with mango as well. The hop smell is dank and wet and coats our nose. I could not be more pleased with this aroma

Taste - Unlike many single APA's or IPA's that have a fantastic aroma and then have none or few of those flavors in the actual beer (Founders All Day IPA comes to mind) this beer is far from that. Everything you smell in the beer is there on the first sip. The initial wave is amazing, just as the first smell is. A gush of mango and pineapple and grapefruit come over the tongue with a wet dank hop taste following. However the only 60 IBU's and 6.5% ABV start to show as the more the beer is drank the more watery the flavor becomes and results in this beer having almost no lingering flavor on the tongue and no aftertaste

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is very thin here, almost water like. It makes the beer very session-able and will leave you wanting to drink more, but not necessarily because of the flavor profile, which off the bat is fantastic

Overall - This is without a doubt the best APA I have ever had and also has the best aroma of any beer I have ever had. That being said I was a bit disappointed in the mouthfeel and the lack of a real flavor punch I would expect from a beer that is so highly rated. It is a fantastic beer and definitely worth trying, but is not quite to the pedestal that people put it on, especially compared to Hopslam or Heady Topper. I understand those are DIPA's versus an APA but just the fact that all three are rated in the top 20 for beers

4.55/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I figured I'd do my first full review on a legend--3 Floyds Zombie Dust. I'm a HUGE hopehead, so I've been eager to try this one for quite a while, especially given its near messianic status on this site (as well as others).

Poured into a tulip glass, the first thing I took in was the smell--Awesome; fresh and fruity, with plenty of hop character, this one doesn't smell nearly as "stinky" as expected (I figured the 'Zombie Dust' would have to figure in somewhere). Got a good inch, maybe inch and a quarter of foam, and the beer pours a satisfying golden orange color (relatively opaque). Not bad so far.

Two things stood out on my first sip: 1) This isn't the taste revolution I was expecting (based on hype), and 2) it's an incredibly balanced beer. It's got a full hop flavor for a beer this light (and it IS relatively light), and everything feels very even. Starts out with lots of citrus and hops, finishes with a more wheaty, creamy taste.

Don't get me wrong, this is indeed a great beer, and I can certainly see why people like it so much--It combines the flavorful qualities of a DIPA with the lightness and drinkability of a session beer. With that being said, if I'm going just based on whether I'd choose this over my favorite hoppy beers (Navaja by Half Acre, IIPA by New Glarus, and RuinTen by Stone), the answer is no.

So I guess this is what I'll say in the end: As a pale ale, or just a hoppy session beer, this is easily one of the best. But if you're obsessed with hops, chances are you'll find other beers that satisfy your craving more.

Kudos to FFF though, for a great job brewing, and for the fantastic bottle art!

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Fricking deliciousoso!!! One of my all time favorites when I lived in Chicago. My only problem with this beer is its consistency. It seems as though each bottle is slightly different from the same case or six pack. Not sure what three F's does but when I made the voyage to pick up some cases each bottle was slightly different in flavor and aroma.

4.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle: Couldn't take it serious at first.. It brought me back to my POG days and thinking the best looking POG was the coolest.. I was a little apprehensive at first..

Pouring it into the glass I noticed a slight cloudiness (as opposed to the other "greats" I have tried) I was wondering why it was this hue, and then I took a whif.. hmmm.. A bit of stinkyness that draws me in.. Kind of a musty oldness that calls my name...

Once I took a sip, I noticed that it was different than most traditional APA's and its close cousin the IPA.. It stood out.. It had a great aged lemony taste, and as you drink you get that skunky citrus that hit you when you opened the bottle...

Super smooth and creamy on the feel.. So cream and smooth that its weird it doesn't taste like a milkshake.. It is really pleasant on the palate... This is my favorite feature of this beer thus far..

I have a lot to explore in my beer wold. I cant wait to introduce some of these beauties into my new Cafe..

If anyone has some recommendations on great craft beers to bring into Avocado Cafe, Please email me at [email protected]

Cheers.

4.56/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Not sure how this one ended up in beer fridge, but I'm happy it's there. FFF is one of my favs and I've never tried this.

Poured the 120z bottle into a standard pint glass to review.

Very loosely packed head of about an inch in height. Cloudy and golden yellow in color.

Smells very clean and hoppy with citrus and pine notes dominating.

Taste is certainly hop forward; citrus and pine again, as the nose predicted.

Medium body with a creamy smooth drinkability making it go down very quickly.

I wish I could get this more regularly, it is a great beer. I like it a lot more than Alpha King and this would work as a nice option to Sierra Nevada which is a staple for me.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.