Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,510 | Ratings: 9,734
4.32/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: the label says this beer is "gushing", and that was definitely my experience. Medium orange hue with a touch of haze and a strong effervescence. Head is two fingers of pillowy, creamy ivory foam with great retention.

Smell: sweet, rich malt with a good citrusy, grapefruity character. There's some earthy pininess in the mix as well; I like it.

Taste: very citrusy all around, but with a very smooth bitterness characteristic of Citra. Bittering is also relatively low, consistent with the APA style. Extremely well balanced; this is not a hop bomb but stays within style while still being very hoppy and flavorful. I was really looking forward to this beer; I guess I was expecting something over-the-top, but I am even more impressed by its quality while still adhering to stylistic guidelines.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation for the style and a satisfying creaminess. Good stuff!

Overall: exceedingly well balanced and incredibly drinkable. I wish I could get this beer more easily in these parts. It would definitely have a regular place in my fridge.

4.29/5  rDev -5.3%

Amazing beer had on tap at Local Option in Chicago. One of the best beers I have ever had. Awesome balance of hops and super clean finish. Aroma is super inviting and pulls you into the glass. For an APA the mouthfeel was standard nothing to full but not weak either. Color leaves a little to be desired, the pale yellow was not super inviting. Wish I could get this in Orlando!

4.77/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a rich copper color with a nice half inch white head. Smells of citrus fruits and hops. The taste is an excellent balance of citrus that hits my mouth on the front end, with a nice hoppy bite on the back-end. Hops are great balance and not overwhelming. Cannot taste any of the alcohol. A really great beer I could drink all the time, wish I had access to it here in NYC.

4.61/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle into a tulip.

Pours a rich copper color with a half inch white head. The smell is big on citrusy hops, wow, impressive. The taste...just blows me away. This is so complex and such a rush of flavors. piney, citrusy, sweet, bitter, malty. everything combined into one. i can't describe them all. Every sip is something new, and i find myself taking continuous sips to try and pinpoint all that my mouth is experiencing. Great feel as well, medium bodied with medium carbonation. superbly easy to drink.

Overall this is a world class beer that lives up to the hype, and may even exceed it. I've never tasted another beer quite like this one. I wish i could have it all the time.

4.1/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Pours a clear golden orange with an off-white 2-finger head. Good retention leads to a solid layer of microbubbles across the top. Fair lacing all-around the glass with good stick. I don't usually count bottle artwork into the appearance score, but this bottle is too baddass not to add another half point.

Smell - Moderate orange pith aroma. Generic malt sweetness; hard to pinpoint the driving character.

Taste - Mild orange character upfront and throughout. Juicy. Malt sweetness that doesn't quite hit caramel, nor is it quite bready either; somewhere in between, or a touch of both, however you'd word it. Flavors don't overwhelm, but hit their stride at the finish with harmony and that great balance. Lingers with a very mild orange pith bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Medium in body with moderate carbonation. Silky smooth feel. Goes down with such amazing ease, it's basically chuggable.

Overall - Another well-balanced pale from 3 Floyds. This one didn't blow me away as the scores have suggested, but I found it rather enjoyable all the same. Definitely trade worthy, but don't overvalue on your end to get your hands on it.

4.99/5  rDev +10.2%

As someone who was raised on Two Hearted Ale, this is tough for me to say, but: Zombie is the best Pale Ale I have ever drank (I know THA is technically an IPA, but so should ZD be). Incredibly smooth and juicy Citra hops on the nose and on the tongue. Perfect level of carbonation. Excellent head formation and retention. Hops stay and stay after you are done. Perfect.

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Best Pale Ale I've ever had. Bottle has some badass artwork as do all three floyd bottles. A little Fruity definitely good hop taste and aroma. Very deserving of the high spot it holds on the list. Made a trade to get ahold of it definitely worth it.

4.31/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Pale gold, hazed, white head has good retention and lace.

S/T/M - Just solid all the way around. Tropical citrus hop bouquet with resinous pine tastes. Caramel sweetness, moderate bitterness over a medium body and medium carbonation. Finishes crisp, some hop oils left behind. Drank my imperial pint in no time.

O - More like an IPA in flavor profile, but easy drinking like a pale ale. Very nice brew.

4.44/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - copper amber in color, nearly clear, some haze, but not cloudy. Head is full at pour, but does fade rather quickly.

S - fresh sharp green Hop aroma. Citrusy overall, excellent.

T - significant hop bite at the front, with a thick malt follow up that doesn't quite, balance the hops. There is some malty sweetness, but it enhances rather than detracts from the overall flavor. This beer reaches the upper bounds of malty sweetness without becoming cloying.

M - there a malty thickness that provides more thickness than expected. Carbonation seems on the low side of just right.

O - one of my favorites.

4.99/5  rDev +10.2%

Zombie dust was gifted to me by a liquor store mate who finds us rare beers in CA. The bottle at first glance is 100 percent awesome (A zombie king dark lord deal).Opening the bottle provided an aroma of smooth hops. The taste was unbelievable, It was completely everything you can ask for which provided a great hoppy taste which provides a lesser to stronger to a very lesser taste. Brushing around the pallet leaves your mouth thirsty for more. I was craving this beer for weeks after having tasted it. This is a jewel in my book, a very smooth fantastic tasting beer. Won't EVER pass up a zombie dust.

3.9/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had it on tap as Three Floyds brough their lineup out to Portland OR.

Smelled great. Nice and hoppy and very aromatic.

The color looked very inviting and it had a nice 2 finger white head on it.

mouthfeel was fine, just like most any other IPA

Taste. Very hoppy and more than you will find in a lot of Pale Ales.

overall: hate to say this, but did not live up to the hype. dont get me wrong, an enjoyable beer. but really not all that distinguishable from dozens of other pale ales and IPAs that are out there. I actually feel this way about a lot of IPAs, but this one in particular did not stand out one way or another and that bummed me out because I was so looking forward to trying it. It came off as just another hoppy IPA without any flavors that made me say wow. I could have been drinking a Sierra Nevada IPA or a Green Flash.

4.61/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Got a fresh six pack in a recent trade and decided to crack open one after a 15 hour work day.

The aroma is great. Citra is one of my favorite hops and the citrus/tropical fruits as well as grass and pine really commingle nicely in the glass. Fresh, clean and crisp are the three adjectives I would use to describe it.

Flavor profile is fantastic. Nice hop bite up font with the hops and malt balancing back and forth. Carbonation is refreshing and the mouthfeel is great. The only thing I think that could improve is the finish. I would have loved a LONG finish. This beer's finish is short, sweet and to the point. Definitely doesn't take away from it as a whole and most certainly doesn't alter my grade.

A fantastic APA. At the end of the day, I think it represents the Pale Ale style nicely. Sure the hops are a little more aggressive than in your run-of-the-mill Pale Ale, but it is the pinnacle of the style. So glad I get to tick this one off.

There is a reason that this is no 4 in the world right now.

A-amber with the stickiest white head ever

S-hops, fruity, bready

T - a citrus bomb hoppy but smooth so pleasant to drink

M-can't really remember because I was thinking how good it tastes

O-can't think of anything better than this. Only thing is I would call it an ipa instead of an apa. Went to buy a case at the brewpub and they were out. Crushing news.

4.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

My local liquor store gave me a bottle of Zombie Dust. They have been doing this about every time I go in there because they say I am a good customer. :-) Normally, IPA's, APA's are not on my radar because I normally don't prefer hoppy beer.
I notched my score up because I think someone who does like this style would probably love this beer. The smell is great. It has that grassy hop taste that is common to this style. But there is something silky smooth about Zombie Dust. It's aftertaste isn't just an aftertaste. It's more like this green velvet over coat for your tongue and the roof of your mouth. That's what really strikes me it's not merely an aftertaste but a coating you can feel and taste long after you've swallowed. I've never experienced such an amazing, live aftertaste. Zombie Dust is very hoppy, floral, kind of fruity and very tasty.

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

First of all, I went into this tasting with a bias AGAINST Three Floyds. I have had Gumballhead which I liked, and Pride and Joy which I did not. I thought maybe with the hype they had a little Emperors New Clothes thing going on.

I apologize. I was wrong.

APA is probably my favorite style, and up to this point Daisy Cutter was my personal favorite.

Poured from the bottle into a standard pub glass. Color was an excellent golden amber with nice two finger head that had staying power. Very pleasant citrus fruit smell from the hops. On the first drink I was just blown away. Complex, juicy, balanced flavor with grapefruit and shortbread notes. Just fantastic. The type of beer that you want to savor each drink but can't wait to take another. Light bitter aftertaste that just begs you to pick up the glass again.

My local bottle shop gets about a case a month of ZD and breaks it up with a two bottle limit and sells out in about two hours. I will be waiting on pins and needles for the next 30 days.

4.48/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A legendary beer. But, it's been surpassed, either because of recipe changes or progression in the industry. It's a wonderful balance of pine and citrus, but even fresh, I prefer single hop APAs like Pipeworks' Lizard King or Spiteful's Alley Time. Everyone should try this once, but it doesn't live up to the hype any more.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle in pint glass
courtesy of Matt

A: Crystal clear copper color with a thick white head that leaves a thick coating of lace.
S: Massive citrus and tropical fruit nose, like Hawaiian punch
T: Juicy, fruity hops with a subtle bitterness at the end. Slight crystal malt sweetness adds to the fruit punch feeling.
M: On the high side of carbonation for the style helps to balance out some of the sweetness, comes across as a weird (in a good way) mix of sweet/fruity and dry.
O: Holy crap, this is a tasty beer, an amazing amount of "new" hop flavors without being a ridiculous bitter bomb. Almost too easy to drink, I could finish a six pack in one sitting, but the alcohol would eventually catch up and that is a shame :) I keep flashing back to my memory of Masala Mama last summer (also an amazingly good beer). Highly recommended.

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a hazy golden orange in color with light to moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some apricot + bright orange highlights. The beer has a two finger tall fluffy cloudy off-white head that reduces to a medium sized half finger tall dense foamy cap with a thin film covering the majority of the remainder of the surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of toasted and caramel malts underneath much more intense aromas of citrus/grapefruit/orange, tropical/mango, and pine hops.

T: Upfront there are moderate flavors of toasted and caramel malts that impart a light to moderate amount of sweetness. The malt flavors are followed up by even more intense hop flavors than were present in the smell - there is a significant amount of citrus/grapefruit and citrus/orange followed by moderate amounts of tropical/mango and finally a light to moderate amount of pine. Moderate amounts of bitterness in the finish which lingers slightly.

M: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Crisp upfront and slightly dry in the finish.

O: This is an extremely enjoyable beer with wonderful flavors and aromas from the hops - I really enjoy the combination of the citrus and tropical hops with just a touch of pine. I found the beer to be quite easy to drink and extremely enjoyable. I would drink this beer all the time if only I had easy access to it.

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hello Citra! I love me some solid headwaters from victory, but this is one heck of an apa.

You want a solid example if what a brewery can do with a pale ale and some Citra. Chaching, here you go.

Hops so fresh and clean you wonder if it's just your imagination. 3 pints deep you realize that every sip is as delicious as the first.

3 floyds, way to kill it. Best apa hands down.

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

S: Bottle picked up fresh from the brewpub on Friday. From fridge and poured hard into Founders fat tulip.

A: Brilliant gold. Crystal clear. Effervescent. Thick, mousse-like, white head. Holds solid then drops to thin layer after first sip. Sticky lacing.

S: Catty hops. Pine, orange peel, grapefruit pith, and fresh cut grass. No alcohol and not much for malt.

T: White bready base malt, intense hopping - orange peel, fresh cut grass, with carbonation giving a thick and creamy mouth feel. Some malt sweetness but hop forward for sure. Firm bitter finish with dry mouth. Very clean ferment. Crisp is the best way I can describe it.

O: I'm not a hop head but this is a very fine beer. Bitterness pushes more to an IPA vs APA to me but who cares. Glad to have it fresh too. I had my first Pliny the Elder recently and I didn't see the hype. This is worth it IMHO. crisp.

4.8/5  rDev +6%

Looks more like an IPA, but who's counting? The pour is a colorful hazy golden shade of orange, like the sun just before you see if the last time each night. The head is that of an IPA, bright white, foamy and meringue like. Good retention, it never fully dissipates. Great lace.

Pine, citrus and flowers. Smells like the Pacific Northwest, with grapefruit and pineapple thrown in.

While the smells are slightly subtle, the taste is just the right degree of each ingredient. The earthy pine and citrus fruits are more aggressive, but never obnoxious. I don't know how you'd improve upon it.

The mouthfeel is also perfection. There's complexity with lots of different things happening from sweet to piney to bitter. It's a bit more bitter than an APA, but slightly less so than an IPA, so it's more of a hybrid, but it hits all the right notes with a smoothness that is only matched by a couple other beers. Medium bodied with a lasting bitterness.

Overall, the only thing I would change is giving it a higher ABV. Aside from that, it's a chart topper that's easy to drink.

4.13/5  rDev -8.8%

First few times I had this beer I couldn't get enough of it., but It was quite hard to find here in Chicago so I believe it made it even more enjoyable since it was like finding that record you were always trying to find in the used bin at the local record store. Then suddenly I started noticing ZD popping up in many more bars on tap over the past few months. It's a really refreshing beer and one of my go to beers to grab a pint of after work. Although I am more partial to their darker creations, Three Floyds has really got something here and this one.

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

With or without the hype, I was thrilled to see this coming to The Attic. Fortunately, I had written a small article on it when I first drank it, so it didn't matter that my review was somehow lost in the internet's hereafter.

A thick, cloudy, beastly-looking pale ale that's simultaneously a deep golden-amber, Zombie Dust looks like the beer I was hoping for. A heavy, thick pillow of whitish head crowns it. Retention speaks well to the overall character and structure, as does a heavy lacing that sticks nicely to the glass.
The aroma reaches my nostrils before the head is fully formed. This is one beautifully pungent brew. Huge citrus and tropical fruits make a melody of sweet and bitter, ripe, raw, sweet and gently tart. It's plenty hoppy without being unbalanced. In fact, balance is perfect.
The complexity in this beer is unbelievable. Also unbelievable is that it could possibly fit into the pale ale range, which I realize is up for debate. I do doubt that this beer could possibly possess more complexity, better balance, more depth, or more strength without going overboard. Between the massive variety of tropical and ctitrus fruits, zest, resin, and perfect balance from bread and cramel notes of the malts that are exactly the right amount to let the Citra hops reign, I really doubt it could improve.
The medium body is exactly the strength needed for this beer, and the carbonation is at a good level. It's got a good, crisp bite while flowing like silk. The feel is close to perfect and I think the only, very slight shortcoming is the need for a little more nip.

A - A light orange, amber with a lingering half-finger of creamy head. This appearance of this beer screams "Drink me!".

S - Absolutely awesome! Very citrusy and floral. Grapefruit, tropical fruit, peach, apricot, maybe a hint of sweet malts.

T - Everything is there from the aroma but with a slight hop bitterness. All of the flavors are perfectly balanced. As it warms, the more traditional aspects of an APA come out. Definitely a world-class beer.

M - Medium body.

O - One word: perfect. Zombie Dust is to die for (pun intended). I wish I lived in Indiana.

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Review #200

Received this beer in a trade recently so I hope it is fresh...there is no indication of born on date.

Served in a balloon glass, this pale ale pours with a crystal clear orange-gold body and a 2-finger thick, off-white head that sticks all over the sides of the glass. The head dissipates to a fat island of foam that is continuously supported by little streams of bubbles. The beautiful color and clarity, plus the scars of lacing are good indications that this beer is going to be delicious.

The aroma is a veritable perfume of fresh tropical fruit and hops. Fermented pineapple juice garnished with oranges comes to mind. This is possibly the best example of an extremely hopped up beer with a cat piss aroma that I can remember. There is a faint medicinal, alcoholic aroma in the background. It is a powerful aroma that surely cannot be confused for a session beer. Any notes of malt seem to be absent from this beer.

The flavor is also geared heavily towards their hop addition, with a big, juicy hop bite up front and a gentle bitterness in the finish, which is a good differentiation from an IPA. So, along with some mild bitterness mid-palette, the beer shows off the citrus & tropical fruit notes towards the swallow. There, a light doughiness comes out in the exhale, giving the drinker some light malt flavor, but it certainly plays second fiddle to the intense flavors of lemons, oranges, pineapple, and pine needles.

Three Floyds keeps this beer out of IPA territory with how they treat this beers body in my opinion. It is medium bodied and it finishes kind of dry. There is an abundant amount of carbonation, though not overdone. There is only a light astringency from the hops. This is a very well-designed mouthfeel and very worthy of a 5.

Zombie Dust is an excellent beer! I am glad that I got to review this beer, and I certainly have a lot of respect for Three Floyds out-doing Alpha King. Pale Ales and IPAs are so abundant and while this isn't the best that I have ever had, it is definitely a world-class American Pale Ale.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.