Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,496 | Ratings: 9,631
4.72/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Huge thanks to mattvandyk for sending out a 6 pack on a trade. Really looking forward to this brew.

A - Appears amber and filtered (non-hazy) with a nice two finger head. Pretty standard appearance for an IPA or APA.

S - Incredible. Fresh, juicy, citrus hops, grapefruit smells.

T - This is just outstanding. A perfect combination of citrus and piney hops through out - sustained from the start to the finish.

M - Appropriate for the style. Moderately carbonated with just a touch of thick elixir.

D - Here is where this one shines. Crisp, fresh, and very easy to drink. This might just be the most drinkable beer I've ever had from FFF. I could easily kill the 6 pack on my own.

If you haven’t had it I recommend you hunt it down.

4.77/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a nice 2 finger near white/light tan head. Retention is fantastic, still a couple mm of denser head over the entire surface nearly 10 minutes late. Lacing is absolutely fantastic!

S - Absolutely amazing, strong bitter hoppyness, citrus - grapefruit, pineapple, slight lemon, melon, slightly spiced. Smells like heaven.

T - Ohhh yeahh. Light juicy hops, lots of lemon, melon, pineapple type flavors. Bitterness support the fruit nicely. Slightly spiced. Finish is almost entirely citrus mouth watering deliciousness. Bitterness is relatively tame but returns for the aftertaste.

M - Its up there, at least a 4.5-4.75 but I think this is up there with my favorite brews period. Medium bodied+, leaves a wonderful thickness on my tongue, fairly refreshing, not a lot of carbonation.

O - Huuuge thanks to boilermakerryan for this one! First time for me - looking forward to bringing some of these home for my buddys bachelor party! Did not expect it to be this good.

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My favorite IPA. Smell and taste of tropical fruits, really crisp and refreshing. Pineapple and grapefruit stand out the most. Finishes wonderfully. Not too dry or sweet, nice balance of flavors. Every time I have a chance I pick this one up. Highly recommend.

4.51/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

this is incredible. especially in the context of being reasonably available sixer, I would have this in my fridge everyday if it came to Colorado. as it stands, I owe a big thanks to claystation for sharing this with me. it pours a glowing clear candied orange color with an inch of lacy white head on top. the nose is indeed citra heavy, and not to brag, but it smells a lot like my citra homebrew, just saying... the malt is light and toasty, balancing but letting the hops do the talking. they call this an American pale, and I am on board with that I guess, although to me its just a bit more of an ipa. the taste is from heaven, light and juicy hops, bursting with lemon essence and tropical fruits. its refreshing and quenching and satisfying and dynamic and delicious and close to perfect. the feel is very light, which I like, but perhaps just a tad more body would make this stand out even more to me. carbonation is of course right on, and this is far and away the best beer ive had from the highly acclaimed three floyds. zombie dust was a whale for me, one of those tough to find top ten brews, and it is one of the few that has actually lived up to the expectations, even exceeded them. I wish I could have this everyday.

The more I drink this, the more I love it.
Looks beautiful in the glass, light amber, tangerine almost. great head.
The smell is the first thing that makes me smile with this beer. When fresh, the citra hits you in the nose like a stink bomb filled with citra hops
The taste is parallel to the smell.
Mouth feel isn't quite refreshing, but a little tingly, and the hops remain for a while.
Overall. Fantastic. A top 5 beer for me. With a lower ABV than some of my favorite DIPAs with the same hop presence, this gets me smiling.

4.73/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I drink ZD like I drink water, but I might as well add to the hype. Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - There's nothing amazing about the appearance, but nothing wrong either. It's solid color with slight haze.

S - There are all sorts of citrus and sweet notes here. It's really hard to describe, but a flower is pretty close.

T - This is where the beer shines. It is wonderfully complex, but for someone like me who goes through a case every few months, it becomes a standard and makes all other beers taste bland. The taste is very similar to the smell. At first, it's very strongly floral, but as you sip on it, it goes to being very citrusy and sweet.

M - The beer is extremely smooth for the complex taste it contains. The afterfeel is a little sticky, but this is a good thing.

O - This beer is amazing on the first try, and only gets better the more you drink it. It definitely lives up to its hype. This is one of the very few beers that I will give a 5.0 for overall.

4.56/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

THANKS, MATT.
A--big, fluffy head. looks like a doily around the glass. dark golden, dark straw colors.

S--pine, grass, citrus. very fruity, very earthy. DIPA-like.

T--interestingly, this changed every four ounces.
1st third-big-time american ipa flavors: grass, funk, bitter citrus, booze, citra, centennial.
2nd third-english ipa: doughy malt, fuggles, goldings, mellowed hop bitterness.
last third-esb: muted hoppiness, bready, nearly no bitterness, uncannily smooth.

M--rich, yet dry. good carbonation makes it extremely sessionable.

O--when i opened this beast, it was dank american ipa with a nose the likes of heady and abner and lunch. it really, really mellowed from something astoundingly pungent and mildly abrasive to something resembling a cask session ale. after watching kimmich's video on why he cans HT, the taste variations in my experience beg the question: if this were canned, would it have retained its
first third ipa characteristics a la heady?
nonetheless, it was damn tasty and covers a lot of ground at 6.4% abv.

4.6/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: It pours a fine deep gold with a nice medium clarity. Healthy fizzy head.

S: Citric hop notes leap out of the glass. The bouquet is uncluttered earthiness: forest greenery, lemon and mango, with the musty-sweet malt beneath.

T: Great balance between the caramel, honey-biscuit malt and the sharper hop notes on the front. Not fruity, just wonderfully bittersweet.

M: Light and drinkable. Not the slightest bit overbearing

O: This is a compulsively drinkable ale. Really nice to experience a balanced brew with a subtle but still robust flavor profile. Wish I could enjoy this with every meal; already plotting how to get more. Thanks to Matt for the bottle.

Full review at: http://thecuriograph.com/blog/2013/5/20/imbibliography-three-floyds-zombie-dust

***

Politics, Art, Beer. A Compendium of Worldly Facts
The Curiograph
www.thecuriograph.com
Twitter: @TheCuriograph

4.49/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

the main thing in this beer is that how the hops shine.. the hoppynes in the beer proved to be true.. in the end.. though hops was fading but they came.. they came n proved that if u love hops from all your heart u wud actually get them.. kinda connects with me.. with my story..

4.81/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow, this beer definitely lives up to its hype!!

Thank you Omensetter for the quick sending, as well as the freshness promised!!

Appearance - an almost aggressively robust 2 inch head on the pour! Straw in color with a slight haze.

Smell - A lot going on in the nose - I'm getting tropical fruit and almost a peanuty-ness? Very interesting

Taste - doesn't disappoint...the nuttyness comes through again although its framed with clear and crisp citrus

Mouthfeel - really well balanced, well carbonated and goes down real well

Overalll- really really impressed with this beer. Wish I could drink it all the time!!

4.36/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle into a pint glass with no date, thanks much to Arsenal0328 for the Dust!

A: Golden amber orange, big three finger slighlty off white head that retains to a skim, excellent lacing left on the glass.

S: Big hop smell with lots of oranges, lemons, candied citrus and a little bit of pine. Decent caramel malt sweetness in there as well. Really good smelling brew.

T: Right upfront it hits you with a firm, dry hop bitterness with oranges, lemons and grapefruit peel, also some citrus as well. Malt does a decent job at keeping it balanced but the hops win in the end, still very drinkable all things considered.

M: Lighter end of medium, good crispness, very easily drinkable.

O: Damn I wish we got FFF here in MA, this is just an awesome Pale Ale, love the single citra hop, really showcases well with this brew ans overall its very tasty. The only thing I'm gunna knock it for is not having a bottle date.

4.55/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours slightly hazy golden orange in color with a nice one and a half finger white head that retains nicely.

Smell has a really great clean malty aroma that is balanced perfectly with bright orange citrus hops that give it a really nice clean crisp scent.

Taste follows the nose. Really great clean grainy malt body is balanced perfectly with a lot of crisp juicy citrus hop flavors and moderate bitterness. All around well balanced.

Mouthfeel is awesome. Crisp clean feel with a medium body and moderate carbonation leave this very drinkable but not to thin. Mild bitterness lets the flavors and hop oils last well after it has been swallowed.

All around great beer. I'm surprised its taken me this long to rate as it's constantly in my fridge.

4.3/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I received a six pack from redsand22, thanks again, along with a bottle of Permanent Funeral. Between three of us, we polished off the sixer in a night, yet another good offering in a long line of pale ales that I've had recently.

ZD is an interesting beer and deceptively strong for its ABV. Normally, with a strong nose and citra hop profile like this, I'd see this kind of beer landing right between seven and eight percent by volume; though it's close, ZD has a little less than that, and ever fewer than expected IBUs. It drinks like a big malty IPA, like Sucks or Undercover Investigation Shut-Down, and honestly I found it difficult to discriminate between it and other west coast IPAs. This isn't to say that it's not delicious, of course, but it seems to me that the popular pale ales all fall on the bitter end of the malt spectrum. They're still sweet in their own right, but nothing like Hopslam, Union Jack, Sculpin, or Head Hunter, all of which I prefer to ZD. Of course, getting down and dirty with cross-style comparison is a no-no on Beer Advocate, I'm comparing them by way of taste. Like I said, I don't taste a huge difference between ZD and Lags IPAs and DIPAs, even though they're technically different styles.

Would I get ZD again? Of course. It's delicious, affordable, and brewed year-round, even if it's difficult to get off site. A fresh bottle of it would blow a stale bottle of any of the above listed beers out of the water, but that's not to say that it's better. The margin of difference between these top tier IPAs, DIPAs, and PAs is so slim that it's negligible.

4.51/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I've had Zombie Dust many times, but never reviewed because it doesn't need any more praise, but....

A - Awesome hazy orangish gold. Awesome puffy light head that stays around and punches lacing into the pint glass.

S - Lemon pith, orange juice, citrus everywhere. Very light malty toast notes

T - Not very balanced, but awesome nonetheless! It definitely showcases the Citra hops well. Barely toasted bread, orange pith, pomelo, aspirin big time, almost a sort of implied saltiness.

M - Nice and light. Perfect timing that I got this at the start of summer in TN

I love this beer so much that even though I can tell the certain batch I am drinking now is not the freshest, it still does the trick!

3.96/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle into pint glass , almost an orange color with a one finger head and nice lacing

The nose is sweet and malty with hints of citrus , pine and earthy tones

Super mouthfeel on this beer with just the right amount of carbonation , goes down so smooth

The taste is super hop forward , the malt kind of comes through in the middle the the malt and the bitterness comes through at the end.

This is just wonderful , the flavors are all so complex but come together so nicely and make for one hell of a brew.

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Drinking a fresh one right now as I review this.

I'll never forget the first time I had this. I was new to craft beers, though I knew what to look out for. As a noob, I found myself taking sip after sip of my glass, getting a lot of flavor, but not enough of it, so I wanted more.

Living in IL, I take ZD for granted sometimes, as FFF releases it whenever they can. I don't hunt for it all the time, but when it's on sale at the brew pub, or if I see it on a shelf, it's a special treat.

I'm a single hop guy, I like to experience the pure flavor of a single hop in all its glory. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy complex beers, but that can get very subjective at some point.

It looks wonderful for an APA. a bright amber hue, head that sticks to all sides of your glass, never liquefying, but clinging on as proof to the solidity of this beer. It smells rich. It smells of that signature FFF taste. It tastes of the signature FFF beer, but with a sweet citrus that seems to fight with the bitter finish. Crisp. Refreshing. Sits on the palate for just the right amount of time. Lingering. Begging for another sip. The mouthfeel is medium, just enough to not be chewing gum. So you want more.

I'm biased. Citra and Mosaic are my favorite hop variety. But if you enjoy citra, This is worth seeking out. You'll need the whole six pack.

No other APA like it out there . Ordered on draft at Sonka's pub in Terre Haute, IN. I heard from a few different sources though, that this beer has been completely sold out in TH and the brewery ran out of ZB ingredients for the year. I guess I'll have to wait til next year :( FFF does it again with a top quality beer. Cheers!

Holy s**t! First of all I would like to thank beergod1 for the trade! Your package will arrive soon buddy!

This beer is awesome, and I don't think there are words to describe how awesome this beer is! Please drive ir get a partner who can send you this beer of gods to you! It's a must try! Everything about zombie dust is perfect! I am planning on moving to Munster, Indiana after this experience!

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle, no freshness date. Bottle courtesy of bjohnston, thanks Brian!

A - Pours a cloudy dark amber, fluffy thick three finger head. Sticky lacing lingers throughout as I drink the beer.

S - Lots of tropical and citrus fruits, very strong nose. No apparent malts in the nose, definitely very unique for the style and trending towards IPA.

T - Oh wow, am I drinking fruit or am I drinking fruit. A lot of orange peel, mango, kiwi, and even orange juice itself. Definitely does not drink like a pale ale, where the typical biscuity malt backbone would be expected. To a fault, this throws it to the side of being unbalanced.

M - Heavier than a typical APA, but had no issues with drinking multiple in a night. Not too sticky or heavy on the tongue.

Overall, I would have to say this is the best APA I have ever had, but not to say that it is traditional in any sense. A wonderful explosion of juiciness I would love to have again in the future.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance-pours a dark amber with a thick khaki head. Some nice lacing about. 4.25

Aroma- lots of grapefruit and orange peel. There's also a lot of tropical citrus in there to. For a pale ale the citrus is very heavy. 4.25

Taste-grapefruit is killing it in this one. Some apricot and a little mango/pineapple tropical touch in there to. Fresh ground pepper at the end of the tounge is good as well. For a pale ale it's tops. 4.75

Feel-this has a very smooth even feel. I could see drinking this all day long. Coats mouth completely and leves it want more. 4.25

Overall-this is a great beer. I purchased this with some other Three Floyd's beers that must have been very old. This is the only that lived up to the hype. It's solid thru and thru if I could get more of it I would. The problem is I can't and could find stuff regular that comes close to this. Taking that out of the picture and rating this by itself I say it is a epic pale ale that tastes like a great IPA. 4.5

Being so close to Three Floyd's I've had the pleasure of having this on tap as well as very fresh bottles.

This is a brew that I love when fresh. I don't think any brew can beat it. So many tropical fruit notes in the taste and smell. I love it!

Now on the flip side: if this beer sits for a couple of weeks it becomes average. Over a month it's almost a drain pour. All in all, if you can get this fresh,by all means get it. You will dig it!

4.52/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Clear golden, medium foamy head

S: Citrus hops, lots of lemon and orange. Not a huge punch in the face of hop aroma that you might be used to from other highly rated hoppy beers but very pleasant nonetheless.

T: Wow. The essence of citra hops displayed in near perfection. Incredibly well rounded, extremely mellow. Orange and lemon up front, clean bitterness to finish it off. Absolutely delicious.

M: This stuff goes down way to easy, it is light bodied with perfect carbonation. Unbelievable drinkability.

O: Certainly the best "pale ale" I've had if you believe that it actually is one.

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub - Zombie Dust

Hendry generously provided me with one of these as part of a pick-up so I could take some beers off his hands. Cheers!

Look - Pours a hazy amber orange with a great soapy head. Sticky lacing. Moderate carbonation. My kinda look for this style of brew.

Smell - Aroma a grapefruit hyper-bitter hop with resiny overtones. Smooth maltiness throughout.

Taste - Snappy crisp malt with smooth (grapefruit, orange, sour pineapple) citrus, pine, and resin hops coming in after. Smooth as hell, sweet caramel malts are perfectly balanced.

Mouthfeel - Nice bitter resting on the palate, super drinkable and muted ABV. Ridiculously smooth.

Overall - The king of these kinds of hops, similar hops to the Surly line are present, I love those hops. Super smooth even creamy with a bite and some balls. 100% recommend.

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours with a three finger creamy head. Very cloudy, amber orange.

Smells of very fresh grapefruit and some subtle lemon zest. A touch of nutty creaminess.

Taste is just fantastic. Highly balanced pine and citric grapefruit notes meld with the dulce de leche sweetness. It stays light somehow through out all the tastes. Definitely a hoppier pale ale, but very well balanced. It has a slightly thin character to the taste but suits its amped up sweet hop profile.

Mouthfeel is a moderately carbonated. Zingy and crisp, slightly viscous.

Overall, this is a fantastic pale ale. One of the best I've tasted and a definite try.

This is one of the best(if not the best) Pale ales out there. One of my personal favorites as well. Three Floyd's does no wrong. It's so flavorful and refreshing. Tons of grapefruit in taste. I would consider Zombie Dust an IPA, and would put it up there alongside Pliny and Heady.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.