Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,541 | Ratings: 9,912
4.99/5  rDev +10.2%

Zombie dust was gifted to me by a liquor store mate who finds us rare beers in CA. The bottle at first glance is 100 percent awesome (A zombie king dark lord deal).Opening the bottle provided an aroma of smooth hops. The taste was unbelievable, It was completely everything you can ask for which provided a great hoppy taste which provides a lesser to stronger to a very lesser taste. Brushing around the pallet leaves your mouth thirsty for more. I was craving this beer for weeks after having tasted it. This is a jewel in my book, a very smooth fantastic tasting beer. Won't EVER pass up a zombie dust.

3.9/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had it on tap as Three Floyds brough their lineup out to Portland OR.

Smelled great. Nice and hoppy and very aromatic.

The color looked very inviting and it had a nice 2 finger white head on it.

mouthfeel was fine, just like most any other IPA

Taste. Very hoppy and more than you will find in a lot of Pale Ales.

overall: hate to say this, but did not live up to the hype. dont get me wrong, an enjoyable beer. but really not all that distinguishable from dozens of other pale ales and IPAs that are out there. I actually feel this way about a lot of IPAs, but this one in particular did not stand out one way or another and that bummed me out because I was so looking forward to trying it. It came off as just another hoppy IPA without any flavors that made me say wow. I could have been drinking a Sierra Nevada IPA or a Green Flash.

4.61/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Got a fresh six pack in a recent trade and decided to crack open one after a 15 hour work day.

The aroma is great. Citra is one of my favorite hops and the citrus/tropical fruits as well as grass and pine really commingle nicely in the glass. Fresh, clean and crisp are the three adjectives I would use to describe it.

Flavor profile is fantastic. Nice hop bite up font with the hops and malt balancing back and forth. Carbonation is refreshing and the mouthfeel is great. The only thing I think that could improve is the finish. I would have loved a LONG finish. This beer's finish is short, sweet and to the point. Definitely doesn't take away from it as a whole and most certainly doesn't alter my grade.

A fantastic APA. At the end of the day, I think it represents the Pale Ale style nicely. Sure the hops are a little more aggressive than in your run-of-the-mill Pale Ale, but it is the pinnacle of the style. So glad I get to tick this one off.

There is a reason that this is no 4 in the world right now.

A-amber with the stickiest white head ever

S-hops, fruity, bready

T - a citrus bomb hoppy but smooth so pleasant to drink

M-can't really remember because I was thinking how good it tastes

O-can't think of anything better than this. Only thing is I would call it an ipa instead of an apa. Went to buy a case at the brewpub and they were out. Crushing news.

4.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

My local liquor store gave me a bottle of Zombie Dust. They have been doing this about every time I go in there because they say I am a good customer. :-) Normally, IPA's, APA's are not on my radar because I normally don't prefer hoppy beer.
I notched my score up because I think someone who does like this style would probably love this beer. The smell is great. It has that grassy hop taste that is common to this style. But there is something silky smooth about Zombie Dust. It's aftertaste isn't just an aftertaste. It's more like this green velvet over coat for your tongue and the roof of your mouth. That's what really strikes me it's not merely an aftertaste but a coating you can feel and taste long after you've swallowed. I've never experienced such an amazing, live aftertaste. Zombie Dust is very hoppy, floral, kind of fruity and very tasty.

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

First of all, I went into this tasting with a bias AGAINST Three Floyds. I have had Gumballhead which I liked, and Pride and Joy which I did not. I thought maybe with the hype they had a little Emperors New Clothes thing going on.

I apologize. I was wrong.

APA is probably my favorite style, and up to this point Daisy Cutter was my personal favorite.

Poured from the bottle into a standard pub glass. Color was an excellent golden amber with nice two finger head that had staying power. Very pleasant citrus fruit smell from the hops. On the first drink I was just blown away. Complex, juicy, balanced flavor with grapefruit and shortbread notes. Just fantastic. The type of beer that you want to savor each drink but can't wait to take another. Light bitter aftertaste that just begs you to pick up the glass again.

My local bottle shop gets about a case a month of ZD and breaks it up with a two bottle limit and sells out in about two hours. I will be waiting on pins and needles for the next 30 days.

4.48/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A legendary beer. But, it's been surpassed, either because of recipe changes or progression in the industry. It's a wonderful balance of pine and citrus, but even fresh, I prefer single hop APAs like Pipeworks' Lizard King or Spiteful's Alley Time. Everyone should try this once, but it doesn't live up to the hype any more.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle in pint glass
courtesy of Matt

A: Crystal clear copper color with a thick white head that leaves a thick coating of lace.
S: Massive citrus and tropical fruit nose, like Hawaiian punch
T: Juicy, fruity hops with a subtle bitterness at the end. Slight crystal malt sweetness adds to the fruit punch feeling.
M: On the high side of carbonation for the style helps to balance out some of the sweetness, comes across as a weird (in a good way) mix of sweet/fruity and dry.
O: Holy crap, this is a tasty beer, an amazing amount of "new" hop flavors without being a ridiculous bitter bomb. Almost too easy to drink, I could finish a six pack in one sitting, but the alcohol would eventually catch up and that is a shame :) I keep flashing back to my memory of Masala Mama last summer (also an amazingly good beer). Highly recommended.

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a hazy golden orange in color with light to moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some apricot + bright orange highlights. The beer has a two finger tall fluffy cloudy off-white head that reduces to a medium sized half finger tall dense foamy cap with a thin film covering the majority of the remainder of the surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of toasted and caramel malts underneath much more intense aromas of citrus/grapefruit/orange, tropical/mango, and pine hops.

T: Upfront there are moderate flavors of toasted and caramel malts that impart a light to moderate amount of sweetness. The malt flavors are followed up by even more intense hop flavors than were present in the smell - there is a significant amount of citrus/grapefruit and citrus/orange followed by moderate amounts of tropical/mango and finally a light to moderate amount of pine. Moderate amounts of bitterness in the finish which lingers slightly.

M: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Crisp upfront and slightly dry in the finish.

O: This is an extremely enjoyable beer with wonderful flavors and aromas from the hops - I really enjoy the combination of the citrus and tropical hops with just a touch of pine. I found the beer to be quite easy to drink and extremely enjoyable. I would drink this beer all the time if only I had easy access to it.

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hello Citra! I love me some solid headwaters from victory, but this is one heck of an apa.

You want a solid example if what a brewery can do with a pale ale and some Citra. Chaching, here you go.

Hops so fresh and clean you wonder if it's just your imagination. 3 pints deep you realize that every sip is as delicious as the first.

3 floyds, way to kill it. Best apa hands down.

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

S: Bottle picked up fresh from the brewpub on Friday. From fridge and poured hard into Founders fat tulip.

A: Brilliant gold. Crystal clear. Effervescent. Thick, mousse-like, white head. Holds solid then drops to thin layer after first sip. Sticky lacing.

S: Catty hops. Pine, orange peel, grapefruit pith, and fresh cut grass. No alcohol and not much for malt.

T: White bready base malt, intense hopping - orange peel, fresh cut grass, with carbonation giving a thick and creamy mouth feel. Some malt sweetness but hop forward for sure. Firm bitter finish with dry mouth. Very clean ferment. Crisp is the best way I can describe it.

O: I'm not a hop head but this is a very fine beer. Bitterness pushes more to an IPA vs APA to me but who cares. Glad to have it fresh too. I had my first Pliny the Elder recently and I didn't see the hype. This is worth it IMHO. crisp.

4.8/5  rDev +6%

Looks more like an IPA, but who's counting? The pour is a colorful hazy golden shade of orange, like the sun just before you see if the last time each night. The head is that of an IPA, bright white, foamy and meringue like. Good retention, it never fully dissipates. Great lace.

Pine, citrus and flowers. Smells like the Pacific Northwest, with grapefruit and pineapple thrown in.

While the smells are slightly subtle, the taste is just the right degree of each ingredient. The earthy pine and citrus fruits are more aggressive, but never obnoxious. I don't know how you'd improve upon it.

The mouthfeel is also perfection. There's complexity with lots of different things happening from sweet to piney to bitter. It's a bit more bitter than an APA, but slightly less so than an IPA, so it's more of a hybrid, but it hits all the right notes with a smoothness that is only matched by a couple other beers. Medium bodied with a lasting bitterness.

Overall, the only thing I would change is giving it a higher ABV. Aside from that, it's a chart topper that's easy to drink.

4.13/5  rDev -8.8%

First few times I had this beer I couldn't get enough of it., but It was quite hard to find here in Chicago so I believe it made it even more enjoyable since it was like finding that record you were always trying to find in the used bin at the local record store. Then suddenly I started noticing ZD popping up in many more bars on tap over the past few months. It's a really refreshing beer and one of my go to beers to grab a pint of after work. Although I am more partial to their darker creations, Three Floyds has really got something here and this one.

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

With or without the hype, I was thrilled to see this coming to The Attic. Fortunately, I had written a small article on it when I first drank it, so it didn't matter that my review was somehow lost in the internet's hereafter.

A thick, cloudy, beastly-looking pale ale that's simultaneously a deep golden-amber, Zombie Dust looks like the beer I was hoping for. A heavy, thick pillow of whitish head crowns it. Retention speaks well to the overall character and structure, as does a heavy lacing that sticks nicely to the glass.
The aroma reaches my nostrils before the head is fully formed. This is one beautifully pungent brew. Huge citrus and tropical fruits make a melody of sweet and bitter, ripe, raw, sweet and gently tart. It's plenty hoppy without being unbalanced. In fact, balance is perfect.
The complexity in this beer is unbelievable. Also unbelievable is that it could possibly fit into the pale ale range, which I realize is up for debate. I do doubt that this beer could possibly possess more complexity, better balance, more depth, or more strength without going overboard. Between the massive variety of tropical and ctitrus fruits, zest, resin, and perfect balance from bread and cramel notes of the malts that are exactly the right amount to let the Citra hops reign, I really doubt it could improve.
The medium body is exactly the strength needed for this beer, and the carbonation is at a good level. It's got a good, crisp bite while flowing like silk. The feel is close to perfect and I think the only, very slight shortcoming is the need for a little more nip.

A - A light orange, amber with a lingering half-finger of creamy head. This appearance of this beer screams "Drink me!".

S - Absolutely awesome! Very citrusy and floral. Grapefruit, tropical fruit, peach, apricot, maybe a hint of sweet malts.

T - Everything is there from the aroma but with a slight hop bitterness. All of the flavors are perfectly balanced. As it warms, the more traditional aspects of an APA come out. Definitely a world-class beer.

M - Medium body.

O - One word: perfect. Zombie Dust is to die for (pun intended). I wish I lived in Indiana.

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Review #200

Received this beer in a trade recently so I hope it is fresh...there is no indication of born on date.

Served in a balloon glass, this pale ale pours with a crystal clear orange-gold body and a 2-finger thick, off-white head that sticks all over the sides of the glass. The head dissipates to a fat island of foam that is continuously supported by little streams of bubbles. The beautiful color and clarity, plus the scars of lacing are good indications that this beer is going to be delicious.

The aroma is a veritable perfume of fresh tropical fruit and hops. Fermented pineapple juice garnished with oranges comes to mind. This is possibly the best example of an extremely hopped up beer with a cat piss aroma that I can remember. There is a faint medicinal, alcoholic aroma in the background. It is a powerful aroma that surely cannot be confused for a session beer. Any notes of malt seem to be absent from this beer.

The flavor is also geared heavily towards their hop addition, with a big, juicy hop bite up front and a gentle bitterness in the finish, which is a good differentiation from an IPA. So, along with some mild bitterness mid-palette, the beer shows off the citrus & tropical fruit notes towards the swallow. There, a light doughiness comes out in the exhale, giving the drinker some light malt flavor, but it certainly plays second fiddle to the intense flavors of lemons, oranges, pineapple, and pine needles.

Three Floyds keeps this beer out of IPA territory with how they treat this beers body in my opinion. It is medium bodied and it finishes kind of dry. There is an abundant amount of carbonation, though not overdone. There is only a light astringency from the hops. This is a very well-designed mouthfeel and very worthy of a 5.

Zombie Dust is an excellent beer! I am glad that I got to review this beer, and I certainly have a lot of respect for Three Floyds out-doing Alpha King. Pale Ales and IPAs are so abundant and while this isn't the best that I have ever had, it is definitely a world-class American Pale Ale.

4.61/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into snifter
A: 4.5 Deep golden, very clear. Pours with 1.5 fingers of head that slowly fades.
S: 4.75 Very citrusy, as expected with an all citra recipe. Grapefruit seems to be in the lead, with orange, lemon, and lime behind.
T: 4.75 Similar to smell. Citrus notes all around. Great balance of malt and hop, blends together nicely and masks any alcohol.
M: 4.0 This is a very smooth feel. Carbonation level is a little high, and I only say that because it slightly interferes with all the flavor going on.
O: 4.5 This is one of my favorite beers. Great for many occasions - stronger than a session so able to hold its own, but very drinkable where a few won't put you over the top. I am a fan of citra hops, so I assumed I'd like this one going in. Wish I had more readily available access.

4.27/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from the brewery in Munster, IN (11-Jun-13).
A: PA/IPA yellow-orange.
S: Its all Citra hops upfront here (easily becoming my new favorite variety).
T: Dry-hopped citrus flavor. A good beer and an easy drinker.
O: Damn tasty. Grab one if you come across it.

4.34/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Really pleasant, sessionable, citrusy APA. Very well done, well balanced and all of that. But this is one that I do not think is worth the hype surrounding it and that benefits more from its relative rareness and awesome name.
I like that the beer is a little cloudy and resinous. It makes for a really fresh and flavorful feel and taste.
I'm not dying to cross state lines and seek this one out, but I certainly would be happy on the receiving end of a pint/bottle.
The label is awesome.

4.16/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a tangerine color, slight haze

Smell is citrus, pine and a little malt, orange and lemon really shine through

Taste is very citrus forward with lemon and orange, pine mingles in nice, malt is there but not as much as I like in my pales, highly bitter but does not over stay its welcome.

Mouthfeel is crisp and delicious, leaves you slightly dry and wanting more.

Is this the end all APA it is made out to be by some on this site??? No, is it a damn good one? Yes, While there are many Pales I enjoy more this is still a good beer if you are looking for more of a IPA type Pale (really a IPA is what this beer is)

Glad I had the chance to try it! Probably will not go out of my way for more.

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Huge thanks to mattvandyk for sending out a 6 pack on a trade. Really looking forward to this brew.

A - Appears amber and filtered (non-hazy) with a nice two finger head. Pretty standard appearance for an IPA or APA.

S - Incredible. Fresh, juicy, citrus hops, grapefruit smells.

T - This is just outstanding. A perfect combination of citrus and piney hops through out - sustained from the start to the finish.

M - Appropriate for the style. Moderately carbonated with just a touch of thick elixir.

D - Here is where this one shines. Crisp, fresh, and very easy to drink. This might just be the most drinkable beer I've ever had from FFF. I could easily kill the 6 pack on my own.

If you haven’t had it I recommend you hunt it down.

4.77/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a nice 2 finger near white/light tan head. Retention is fantastic, still a couple mm of denser head over the entire surface nearly 10 minutes late. Lacing is absolutely fantastic!

S - Absolutely amazing, strong bitter hoppyness, citrus - grapefruit, pineapple, slight lemon, melon, slightly spiced. Smells like heaven.

T - Ohhh yeahh. Light juicy hops, lots of lemon, melon, pineapple type flavors. Bitterness support the fruit nicely. Slightly spiced. Finish is almost entirely citrus mouth watering deliciousness. Bitterness is relatively tame but returns for the aftertaste.

M - Its up there, at least a 4.5-4.75 but I think this is up there with my favorite brews period. Medium bodied+, leaves a wonderful thickness on my tongue, fairly refreshing, not a lot of carbonation.

O - Huuuge thanks to boilermakerryan for this one! First time for me - looking forward to bringing some of these home for my buddys bachelor party! Did not expect it to be this good.

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My favorite IPA. Smell and taste of tropical fruits, really crisp and refreshing. Pineapple and grapefruit stand out the most. Finishes wonderfully. Not too dry or sweet, nice balance of flavors. Every time I have a chance I pick this one up. Highly recommend.

4.51/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

this is incredible. especially in the context of being reasonably available sixer, I would have this in my fridge everyday if it came to Colorado. as it stands, I owe a big thanks to claystation for sharing this with me. it pours a glowing clear candied orange color with an inch of lacy white head on top. the nose is indeed citra heavy, and not to brag, but it smells a lot like my citra homebrew, just saying... the malt is light and toasty, balancing but letting the hops do the talking. they call this an American pale, and I am on board with that I guess, although to me its just a bit more of an ipa. the taste is from heaven, light and juicy hops, bursting with lemon essence and tropical fruits. its refreshing and quenching and satisfying and dynamic and delicious and close to perfect. the feel is very light, which I like, but perhaps just a tad more body would make this stand out even more to me. carbonation is of course right on, and this is far and away the best beer ive had from the highly acclaimed three floyds. zombie dust was a whale for me, one of those tough to find top ten brews, and it is one of the few that has actually lived up to the expectations, even exceeded them. I wish I could have this everyday.

The more I drink this, the more I love it.
Looks beautiful in the glass, light amber, tangerine almost. great head.
The smell is the first thing that makes me smile with this beer. When fresh, the citra hits you in the nose like a stink bomb filled with citra hops
The taste is parallel to the smell.
Mouth feel isn't quite refreshing, but a little tingly, and the hops remain for a while.
Overall. Fantastic. A top 5 beer for me. With a lower ABV than some of my favorite DIPAs with the same hop presence, this gets me smiling.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.