Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,498 | Ratings: 9,686
4.71/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The aroma was tremendous and the citrus notes are really what separate this beer from others. The citra hops are distinct as the hop profile stays with you in the after taste. Always smooth and a FFF classic. Pine notes along w/ citrus on its finish. Tremendously well balanced so that neither overpower your senses

Appearance is that of a slightly darker unfiltered wheat beer. Hazy amber color.

3.84/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A bottle was given to me and I had no idea it was a “highly rated” beer when I sampled it. The guy who gave it to me said it was awesome and another beer geek said the same thing about it before I tried it. My overall impression of Zombie Dust was… “yeah, it’s good but is it really any better than Alpha King?”

Clear, peachy-amber in hue with an off-white rock star head. Good head retention and equally good subsequent lacing. It is an attractive looking beer… but aren’t most hoppy beers!

Sugary-sweet tropical and orchard fruitiness surprised me and kind of muddled the “brightness” citrus and grapefruit notes from the hops. Biscuit/toast maltiness is noticeable as well. Hop-forward but balanced. A lovely aroma, plenty complex and inviting.

Hop bitterness is moderate… plenty of flavor though, citrus, pine, grapefruit as well as tropical and orchard fruitiness. And, like the nose, sweet biscuit, toast and some caramel. A tasty beer… a nice pale ale but I don’t get the high scores here on BA.

Medium in body, standard for the style, moderate carbonation…

Overall, like I said, tasty… good. Really good I guess. It’s just a pale ale. Thanks for the bottle Rod!

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

First off let me say this is not your fathers beer. I have wanted to try this one since I saw it's name for the first time. It quintessential Three Floyds.

Beautiful orange amber in color. Two fingers of rocky off white head emerges from a standard force pour. Thick waves of lace stay on the glass as the foam slowly fades. Nose is exuberant with bursting pineapple and floral resinous notes. Pine and dandelion comes through as well. With first sip I am taken by how refreshing this beer is initially. The hop profile of this beer really builds with bitter bite. This brew really has nice malty balance while letting the hops shine. Very juicy as the citrus plays nicely. Gets piney and prickly on the back of the tongue as it finishes. Mouthfeel is not without the appropriate bitter bite and a really nice tingle that is unique and very enjoyable.

4.31/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Duvel tulip

All around a very good and well balanced pale ale, just doesn't live up to the hype surrounding it. I can say that for it's type it's definitely one of the best I have had, but I rarely purchase pale ale's so I'm reviewing it from the perspective of someone who prefers an IPA and as such it doesn't match up.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle from awesome BAer tommyguz into a Firestone Walker Teku.

Aroma: A combined floral and orange zest aroma. As soon as I smelled it all I could think about was an orange tree where I lived last year in Anaheim, not just the smell of oranges but also the vegetation of the tree. This is a scent I have never experienced in a beer and frankly wasn't expecting.

Appearance: Clear, orange/amber in the shade, but a brilliant glowing orange in the light. Good head retention of about 1/4" of off-white head.

Flavor: The same unique hop flavor as the aroma! The malt in completely subdued and the floral citrus hop character is beautifully highlighted. I do not think I have tasted another beer that highlights it's hops so clearly. This can be good or bad, as if you do not like the hop character of this beer I could easily see this beer being hard to take. However, I find it extremely refreshing and enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is on the light side of moderate, with a good amount of carbonation. The beer leaves a slightly creamy texture after swallowing. Overall very nice.

Overall: This is a great beer that I wish I could get locally. It is a beer that is so unique in it's flavor that it is hard to relax while drinking; it commands your attention. This is rare for a beer that is not overwhelming in its bitterness or flavor. Though the beers are not at all similar, Pliny comes to mind as another beer that can shock with the combination of both it's character as well as it's restraint. Excellent beer that I feel lucky to have been able to try!

One of a kind beer. Hard to find. In fact the place i work at we sold out in an hour and half the first time we got it. Nice dark golden color. Nice lacing. Smells hoppy and taste hoppy with a grapefruit finish. Wonderful feeling as i drank this beer. Overall a really great beer to try if you can find it . As always i pour my beer into a pint glass

4.48/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to Mshull for the fresh sixer. Served in a pint (11 days after bottling).

A - Slightly foggy caramel hue with nice off-white head. Retention and lacing were top notch.

S - Mix of pine and citrus hops, bready malts, crisp caramel and a touch of grass near the end.

T - Delicate bread base which holds citrus, lemon and a fine blend of hops. Nice oils yield a particular bitterness which pairs beautifully with caramel sweetness and hop profile.

M- Crisp and refreshing medium body with moderate carbonation.

O - Superb APA that may damn well be the best out there. That said, there are a number that get close and this is by no means a runaway winner. I look forward to having more of these in the future.

Tried this for the first time at Craft Beer Fest in Bloomington, IN last weekend. Got the last serving they had. Was a wonderful beer. The color and aroma drew me to this beer. Am now a fan of 3 Floyd's Brewery. Heard this is a hard beer to find and have found that to be very true.

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Drank on-tap at Lord Hobo, Cambridge, MA
Served in a cervoise

The beer poured a nearly crystal clear, golden-amber. A tight, creamy, one-finger crown of tan colored foam topped the liquid. Small patches of thick, drippy lacing coated the glass and lasted long after the beer was finished.

The aroma was perhaps the most amazingly hoppy and fragrant I have experienced in a beer. A cornucopia of tropical fruit notes jumped out of the glass. Tons of mango, papaya and passion fruit. Loads of pineapple. Some peach and apricot as well. Super complex and exotic. Exceptionally smooth.

The flavor profile was just as stellar as the nose. Intense tropical fruit notes dominated the front end. Mango, pineapple and papaya came through strongest. Juicy tangerine and candied orange peel notes appeared mid palate. Touch of honey. Ruby red grapefruit rounded out the finish. Just slightly pithy and bitter. Hints of pine resin were noticeable as well. Overall, amazingly well balanced.

The mouthfeel was commendable. Medium bodied for the style with a fine, moderate effervescence. Slick and somewhat creamy on the palate.

Calling this beer a "pale ale" is a bit unfair, as I have tasted many double IPAs had less the hop intensity or complexity than this offering. The only indications of the style here are the lighter mouthfeel and the astonishing drinkability.

Super hoppy beers that have a moderate (or lower) alcohol presence seem to be gaining popularity, and this beer is the benchmark for that category. Zombie Dust is definitely worthy of the accolades that it receives. Thank you Daniel for the opportunity to try this amazing beer AND for donating the proceeds to a terrific cause.

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a shaker pint. I acquired this through a trade on reddit.com with twoheartedzombie - thanks man!

Appearance - nice hazy copper; small head diminishes quickly. Decent lacing on the glass.

Smell - Big grapefruit notes with lesser pine and malt underneath. Just a hint of sweetness.

Taste - Amazingly balanced - nothing punches you in the face. Very full-bodied though. I've had a number of pale ales, and the vast majority seem empty on the back end. Not so with this one - perfect amount of sweet maltiness with the right amount of bitterness on the finish. The bitterness lingers for a bit as well. Very, very well done.

Mouthfeel - Smooth with a decent amount of carbonation - very pleasant.

Overall - Whether you normally like APA's or not, you need to get your hands on this one. It is absolutely out of this world fantastic and lives up to the hype. I also like the fact that it doesn't try to be more than it is; I'd drink this everyday if I could get my hands on it.

4.35/5  rDev -4%

12oz of new bottle dated bottles freshisms

A- Dark murcky orange before yellow or golden. Middle-sized head looking directly at you.

S- Hops, pineapple, grapefruit minor malt.

T- Minor malt> grapefruit>grapefruit>harpua>tweezer reprise.

M- very thin. Probably the worst of this brew.

O- This brew is glorious. Love it like I love Syd barett on valium

4.8/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is my first Zombie Dust ever, huge thanks to my FFF hook-up mpayne5. Really not much to say about this beer that hasn't been said already, so I will skip to the good part. For an APA it sure as hell drinks like a world-class, well balanced IPA, amazing nose and complex citrus-fruity taste. Great beer overall, best APA I have ever tasted, worth the wait, get this stuff by any means necessary...

4.96/5  rDev +9.5%

As soon as I poured this beer into my frosted glass I could smell the fantastic aroma of citra hops bursting forth like an aroma cannon. It makes you feel like you will die of thirst if you do not take a drink. I like the mouthfeel on this beer, but not as much as the taste. Perfectly bitter with an unbelievable flavor profile that is well put together. I unfortunately only was able to have one of these magnificent beers, but it was love at first sip. The best APA I have ever had the pleasure of drinking!

4.76/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This brew was served from the tap at the Three Floyds Brewpub in Munster, Indiana. It arrived in a generic nonic glass, showing hues of solid golden yellow. It held a half finger tall head of soft and tight white bubbles, leaving drippy spots of lacing about the glass. A ring was noted to crown the beer, while a film was set across the lacing, looking like Earth’s clouds from orbit, for the entire tasting. A light chill haze was noted without sediment, while carbonation appeared to be light. The aroma gave massive citric and raw piney hop resin. This glory met pale malts, freshly juiced red apples, and sweeter lactic cleanliness. With warmth the hops became deeper and more herbal, adding wildly robust spice and sweetness simultaneously. Our first impression was “Wow…” in regards to the incredibly juicy and fruity hop dominance against the crisp malty dryness. As we sipped, pale malts that were a bit chalky and reminiscent of inky newspaper dryness mixed with explosively wet citric hops, green sappy woodiness, fresh tree bark sweetness, tinny metallics, and orange rind zest to start things off. Palpably syrupy and oily citric hop freshness brought us swiftly to the peak, where salty ocean air freshness, solid pale malts, and light caramel brush and toast met in full flavor. The finish came with fusel herbal hop air, riding over a bolstered grain bill of wet, earthy, and spicy pale malts, mild wheatiness, and a final yeasty muddle. The aftertaste breathed of bittered citric rind, fresh grapefruit flesh with appropriately toned bitterness, metallics, faint ale yeastiness, drying woody lick, herbal slickness, black pepper, and juicy nectarine tartness. BOOM!! The body was softly medium, with huge frothy carbonation, but without an intense prickle. Wet and oily coating was licked around the palate, with slow, slow, slow dryness to the tongue that seemed leafy and hoppy in origin. Each sip gave soft but beautiful slurp, sip, cream, froth, and smack. The abv was appropriate, and the beer was amazing drinkable.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this beer was its flavoring and feel. The sip starts super fresh, clean, and crisp, developing with warmth into this outrageously complex and well-integrated drink. The malts gave a unique softness, but solid flavoring and boldness, while the hops got dirtier, more herbal, and more spicy throughout the tasting. The hops then play off the malts, sullying them and dragging them down to an equally as gritty level. The feel was soft and personally contributory to the wholeness of this experience, helping to keep drinkability just below the force of a fire hydrant. Despite the changes to this beer as the sipping progresses, it always remains welcome on the palate, definitely living up to the hype. If this is the dust of the zombie I’m almost afraid to see what meeting one face to face would be like…

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

I had this on tap at the brewery two years ago (before it was bottled) but never wrote a review. Shame on me. I finally got a six-pack, so poured a bottle into my 3F pint glass
A: Hazy golden orange color with a two-finger head that settles to a frothy lacing, with a steady stream of tons of tiny bubbles that for all the world looks like a glass of Champagne if it wasn't for the darker color. This alone is worth the price of admission
S: Pine sap and grapefruit rind initially, very bold, with a hint of butterscotch and malt underneath to a much lesser degree
T: Much more citrus-forward, with pine taking second stage here. Tropical fruit on the midpalate along with more prominent malt notes. Finishes out with caramel and butterscotch that are just a hint sweet
M: Perfect balance of bitter, malt and carbonation with a long finish. Medium-bodied and couldn't be any nicer
O: I've heard some say this isn't what it once was, but it's pretty damn close to what I remember from when I first had it, and that's pretty damn close to perfect.

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours slightly hazy amber with about 1.5 fingers of eggshell head. Head doesn't really go anywhere. Just kind of sits around patiently as if it's saying, "take your time. I'll wait." Also, some of the best bottle art out there!

Smells potent and hop heavy. Nose reminds me of Two-Hearted, but sweeter--strange considering each use a different single-hop variety. Very fruity (I'm thinking the sweetness is pineapple and the bitterness is grapefruit). Very inviting. Let's enjoy...

Sweet, rich, well-rounded, and very deep brew. It hits all parts of my palate with different sensations. Sweet and juicy on the front; a little bitter, floral, and resinous on the middle; a sweet (candi sugar)/spicy (black pepper) kick on the back. What an interesting flavor. There is also a bitter-sweet aftertaste that is very pleasant.

The mouthfeel is light/medium and very crisp. Extremely drinkable. A little bit of resin rests on the tongue after each drink. It keeps you coming back for more.

Overall...Yeah, I understand the hype. Definitely one of the best APAs (or IPAs depending how you categorize it) I've had. However, it didn't blow my head off and completely change my perspective on beer. Honestly, I don't think any beer can match the high expectations set for ZD. Still, it's awesome. Simply fantastic. Superb. So. Fucking. Good.

4.46/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had my first taste of this tonight 4/15 and now I want more.

Pours a nice golden color with an ivory head.

Aroma of hops, citrus, and freshness.

Nice hoppy flavor smooth finish just a slight hint of bitterness after warming a bit.

I will be on the look out for more of this.

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle purchased as part of a 24-pack case at Three Floyds Brewpub in Munster, Indiana.

I know this might be a Pale Ale to hop-crazy FFF, but to most people this is a straight-up IPA so I reviewed it as such.

A - Looks like a typical IPA with that golden amber color. A slight head forms, but not too much, which is what beers should have. This implies a proper level of carbonation.

S - breathtaking smell of hops - this is why i love IPAs (and brewing beer)

T - citrus flavor, hops are detected but not overpowering, just a perfect blend of malts and hops to make a solidly balanced IPA.

M - Perfect carbonation level. I feel a slight tingle on my tongue as I detect the carbonation, but the beer is smooth and goes down easy.

O - How much do I like this beer? Let's just say that about once every two months my dad and I drive to Munster and purchase four 24-pack cases. This is one of my favorite beers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Popped open a 3-week old Zombie Dust and poured it into a Three Floyds teku glass.. Obviously. The beer is a beautiful orange color with a wonderful floral, hoppy smell. It is the perfect balance of sweet and bitter hoppiness, with citrusy notes and a smooth finish. I could honestly drink this every night and not get sick of it. That's how good it is. Lives up to the hype. No doubt. Definitely one of the best beers I have ever had.

A: Hazy golden yellow. Not completely clear.

S: The best! Incredible citra hop smell. Can taste it when sniffed.

T: Superb. Punch in the face with hoppiness. Just incredible.

M: Thick on the tongue but not too much carbonation.

O: Nothing like it IPA. I love PTE but so different. Thank God I only live 27 minutes from Three Floyd's!!!

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

12 oz. bottle, no bottled on date present which is typical of Three Floyds. My local beer store guys make the pilgrimage to Three Floyds regularly to pick up fresh Zombie Dust, so I am overly confident that this is about as fresh as I am gonna get it.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Semi-aggressive pour yields two and a half fingers of fluffy white head which disappears into a cap. Beautiful burnt sienna orange colored body, with a fair amount of small, light sediment floating around. Some nice thick, webbed white lacing coating the glass.

S - Smell showcases the Citra hops nicely. Smell is of fresh, juicy, bitter grapefruit rind, along with some blood orange and lemon, other citrus fruits. Slight cat piss acidity, but I mean that in a most positive manner. Smells very good and palatable, for what it's worth, but it definitely is not your typical APA smell. Somewhat soapy. Some bready, biscuit malts are to be had, as well.

T - Again, the bitter Citra hops dominate here. Fresh-squeezed, bitter grapefruit & blood orange / lemon zest abound. Tastes very fresh. Again, although I dislike the term, and I have never used it before to describe a beer, it definitely applies a bit here; the beer is some what soapy tasting.

M - Feel is full and juicy. Bitter, hoppy, and partially dry in the finish. Resinous hop-foward mouthfeel.

Overall, it is an extremely tasty, highly drinkable beer. Works better as a hoppy American IPA than it does as an American pale ale, though. Looks like an IPA, smells like an IPA, tastes like an IPA. Bready / biscuit malts become more clear and prominent as the beer warms, but this is still a very hop-forward beer. A great beer; tasty & highly drinkable. Yet, I feel it is a bit overrated & over-hyped. I paid $16.99 for a 6 pack at my local beer store, and while I think this ranks as one of Three Floyds's best beers, I still don't think it is worth that much. Either way, this is one of the flagship Three Floyds beers, and I highly recommend you get your hands on some.

Three Floyds Zombie Dust ---4/5.

I have heard a ton of hype for this one, but is it justified?

Pours out a beautiful golden orange with a 2 finger, white head.

The aroma is intense! There is a ton of an orange, orange peel type of note right away followed by grapefruit, some pine and sweeter tropical fruits.

The taste is exactly like the aroma. There is a huge amount of sweeter orange, a decent amount of grapefruit, sweeter tropical fruits like mango and apricot, some pine and just a hint of some bready malt at the end.

The body is medium and the mouthfeel is crisp. It's a very easy drinking beer with a decent amount of bitterness for an APA. This drinks more like an IPA than a Pale Ale!

I can actually see what all the hype is about and I'm glad I got to try it. No, it's not a perfect beer, but it's the best Pale Ale I have ever tried! Believe the hype. Another winner from Three Floyds.

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On tap at 3F brewpub. I'm not a huge fan of the style, but this was a pretty spectacular beer. Beautiful texture, balance and taste. Not at all the hopbomb i expected, like most 3 floyds stuff. So much so, that I brought a case home with me. I'll be having a couple this weekend.

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle from Rainblows (awesome surprise package, thank you so much!). No bottling date. Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Pours a near translucent orange hued gold with a finger and a half of fluffy white head. The head remains for quite a while and leaves a good bit of lacing.

Smells of orange, citrus peel and piney hop goodnes.

Taste follows the nose. Plenty of bitter sweet citrus hops. Orange, grapefruit, mango, pine and a little pepper with a sweet malty cracker and faint caramel back. Good stuff.

Crisp but oily medium feel with a nice carbonated pop. Super easy to drink with those tasty citrus hops lingering in the finish.

I'm not typically a pale ale fan but I'd choose this hands down over any other pale ale I've ever tried and many IPAs too. This is a smooth, hoppy treat that is very easy to drink. A must try for sure and I will most certainly request a bottle or two from any traders that can get it for me.

4.61/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A - A sexy golden orange color. One finger of white head that resolved and left little lacing. Not completely clear, but a light haze to it.

S - Very nice nose with beautiful hops, pine, grapefruit and i think mango and caramel. Balanced with light malt notes.

T- Great taste very similar to the smell, but packs a greater impact. The citrus and hops are the highlight, but it has a very nice balance to it, with no individual component being overpowering.

M - Nice crisp, smooth. Medium bodied. Light carbonation. A pleasure to drink.

O - Really a great beer. It is just very well rounded. Probably the best APA I have drank, although it is close with Alpha King. That said, I don't know if it quite lives up to the hype, but it is close. I will seek out this beer time after time.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.