Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,487 | Ratings: 9,596
4.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy caramel-amber in color, with a rich and foamy head of thick, extravagant lacing.

Nose is tropical fruit hops, simultaneously sweet and tangy. Marvelous!

Taste is lovely citrus-tangy and hoppy, with a firm and heavy malt foundation. Still, the taste is predominantly hops, and this premium pale ale is absolutely a winner in my book. I'd repeatedly purchase if I could find this anywhere!

4.97/5  rDev +9.5%

poured into a pint glass.

i heard all the hype around this beer and it made me drive to the brewpub and try it.

I was very happy with this brew.

Pours a hazy golden color with 1 finger head on it

taste like fresh citris and notes of pine and greapdruit .

medium body - drinks great on a hot day

it finishes with a strong dry hop

All in all this is my favorite beer to drink anytime, doesnt amtter if you sittin in tha garage with a few friends, or at the pub on a cold winter day.

4.05/5  rDev -10.8%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap (and nice art, for that matter) served into a Uinta brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are through the roof given its current ratings and the hype surrounding it. I believe this is my first purely Three Floyds review - though I did have the Boogoop collaboration. No visible bottled on date.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm slightly over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with salted pretzels.

Some foam ballooned out when I opened it, but there wasn't any upsurge of beer or anything. It might be a bit overcarbonated.

A: Pours a three finger luscious beige colour head of nice cream and thickness, and good retention. Body colour is a hazy copper-gold. Vibrant and appealing. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Delightful floral hops and some lemon citrus twang. Grapefruit. Lemongrass, lemon zest. Hints of pine. Pale clean malts. A good balance of floral and citrus hop notes. I'm excited to try it, but the aroma itself isn't blowing me away. A moderate strength aroma, and a pleasant and fresh one.

T: Delightful floral hops throughout, but with an underlying soapy hint (maybe a bit too long spent in primary?). It's a minor issue, but it does distract. Some pleasant grapefruit and lemon citrus esters introduce themselves mid-second act and hang around through the climax. Pale malts provide the clean, unobtrusive foundation - letting the hops take the forefront but also giving a bit of sweetness to hide the hop bitterness. I actually get a bit of alcohol warmth in the stomach - shocking at its mere 6.40%, but I'd consider this a pleasant warming sensation in the winter. Hints of a candi sugar like sweetness beneath the surface. It's very nicely balanced and rather refreshing. Delightfully built. I'm not blown away by its complexity, but it's well put together and succeeds within the style. I get no yeasty notes. A bit too much buttery character on the finish.

Maybe I expect a hoppy character on par with a good IPA, but I have to remember it's a pale ale. It's a masterfully brewed one at that, but I do think there's room for more complexity within the style.

Mf: Chewy, smooth, soft, wet. Carbonation and thickness are ideal. Good presence on the palate. Has enough body to present its flavours. Refreshing. Slightly oily. Even a touch buttery - too much so on the finish.

Dr: Probably its best attribute is its high drinkability. I could down this one all night. Dangerously drinkable. It's a great pale ale - amongst the best I've had - but I have to admit I expected more given the hype. It's not a perfect beer as its current 100 rating might suggest. It doesn't hide its relatively modest ABV all that well, and it doesn't bring the complexity I think a perfect beer in this style would. I'm glad I got to try it and I'd definitely have it again - preferably fresh on draught. I want another already. Wow. I can't wait to try more beers from Three Floyds.

Constructively, I will say that its main flaw is that it uses a buttery quality to hide the hop bitterness on the finish. It works here, but lacks the seamless subtlety of more masterful brews. A great example of the style would integrate its hop bitterness as a positive characteristic. It's tough to do here because this is a pale ale with the hoppiness of an IPA but not enough of a malty backbone. I appreciate the experimentation within the style, but with some work this could be truly amazing.

B+

Best consumed sans food, or perchance with some unsalted pretzels or bread.

Serve cold.

A poor candidate for aging. Drink fresh.

----

Taking some more notes on this having received a bottle from the gracious Duff27 in a trade.

A: Pours a soft appealing frothy head of good cream. Body colour is a vibrant pale copper. Appearance is good for the style, but not special or unique.

Sm: Hoppy and bready, with hop character of juicy citrus, light grassy character, grapefruit, lemon zest, light pine, and heavy floral character. It's a bit murky yet still fresh; maybe it's a bit too grassy. Pleasant. I don't get any yeast or alcohol.

T/Mf: Juicy bursts of refreshing citrus hop notes and nectary character. Ideal crisp pale malt foundation. Smooth and wet. Very refreshing and pleasant to drink - a highlight of the beer. Delightfully well balanced and built, with impressive subtlety for the style. Not as grassy as the aroma. Clean. Good carbonation. It's not biting or sharp. Hop-forward without being too assertive or overbearing; they packed a lot of flavour in here.

Dr: Extremely high. I could easily chug this. Very impressive. I could stick with this all night and never grow tired of it. Quite delightful. This was definitely more fresh than the first bottle I reviewed.

A-

4.42/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Golden/amber in color with a nice 1 finger head that dissipates a bit in a few minutes.

Smell: Intense, multi-layered hop bouquet that punches you in the face. The smell is almost sour, if you will, from the intense concentration of hops. This is just a pale ale eh? Phhh.

Taste: Definitely matches the nose. Upfront you're hit with grapefruit and citrus. The end cuts out nicely. A dry, bready finish gives way to a bit of lingering bitterness that just agrees with the tongue and proceeds to smoothly be unnoticeable. The unique, initial hopsmack you get in the beginning is pretty cool compared to the dry, restrained finish.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, the hops attack your tongue and can't be forgotten, moreso than most mere pale ales.

Overall: A good beer that in my opinion tastes very similar to Pliny The Elder. Sessionable as hell, and tasty to boot. Would drink again.

4.97/5  rDev +9.5%

This is my new favorite beer. My favorite bartender here in Fort Wayne, IN suggested it to me and boy was he right! This is a new level for IPAs and honestly the new standard. I've been drinking beer for awhile now and honestly this is the best IPA I've had yet. If you ever get a chance to taste this direct from the tap I highly suggest it!

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

My favorite Three Floyds beer to date and one deserving of its high rating and lavish praise. Pours deep gold with good clarity and a small, cream colored head that settles fairly quickly. Clingy patches of lace stick to the sides of the glass.

Huge, hoppy citra aroma and flavor; very little sweetness; dry finish; lots of lingering bitterness. Fresh pine, citrus, pineapple, mild oniony, catty note beneath, super juicy. Minimal malt presence, just the slightest dry, bready backbone.

Medium body, medium, somewhat lively carbonation but retains a level of creamy smoothness as well. Terrific mouthfeel and simply terrific overall; does a lovely job of balancing intricate hoppy flavor with just the right amount of bitterness; the latter never overwhelms the tastiest aspects of the beer. Thanks to Mjmoser for a handful of ridiculously fresh bottles!

4.17/5  rDev -8.1%

Thanks to Savearth for throwing a few bottles this in as extras in our IP trade. I have been interested in this one for a while, only to have it elude me. The hopophobe wife passed on beer last night, meaning it is Zombie Dust time. Fittingly,also Walking Dead time.

The pour gives a lot of head and a cloudy, burnt orange pour. The smell is fruit forward. Juicy fruit gum comes to mind with a wallop of hops thrown in. Taste is similar, but comes with a chaser that I associate with Libby's Fruit Cocktail. medium in body and carbonation, easy drinker.

Really good stuff. Not the life event I was hoping for, but I enjoyed this beer.

4.93/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a beautiful orange hazy amber stone with sticky white head.

Smell is floral tropical fruits of papaya, guava, mango and grapefruit. Lingering pine and a sweet maltiness.

Tastes is very tropical with the malt balancing this act. A taste like no other that really transcends all others.

Mouthfeel is creamy and quenching. Tropical fruits linger.

Masterfully crafted by one of the best. Really stands alone in quality. A tremendously tremendous craft!

4.27/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours golden orange with a nice white head. Aroma of sweet tropical and citrus fruits with bit of a sweet bready malt underbelly. A very nice sweet and juicy flavor of some tropical and citric fruits, less malt presence in the flavor than was in the aroma. A nice, medium, active body. Overall, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome beer. Tops the list of APA's for me, wish I had consistent access to this.

4.89/5  rDev +7.7%

Thank you, myersk27!

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: A very golden, clear color. The head is a light tan, which pours thick and lessens to a lingering half-inch.

S: As I was pouring it the smell hit me in the face. Lemon grass, citrus, and some tropical fruit notes including some definite pineapple.

T: Lemon, grapefruit, pineapple. Pretty bitter, which forces me to sip it. Prefer it that way because I want to savor it.

M: Light, mildly carbonated.

Overall: This was well worth the hype. Had a friend ship me two bottles and he advised I drink them quick. The citrus hops are awesome and this beer really makes me wish I could just go to Indiana and taste it off tap.

12 oz. bottle into a Three Floyds pint

A- Orange lemon in appearance. Slight haze. Head lasts a long time.

S - Citrus ... all grapefruit citrus with a little malt sweetness and cut grass .to the smell. Overall, it makes the mouth water and anticipate the beer to come.

T - Starts out malt sweet, but citrus and hops rush the taste buds. All I can say about this is mmmm.

M - Juicy mouthfeel, perfect carbonation.

O - An excellent beer and example of the APA style. Three Floyds has nailed it.

4.97/5  rDev +9.5%

12oz bottle no date marking, just awesomeness on this label.

A- pours a very slight amber golden that's almost clear but not just quite. A very light touch of tan that pours two fingers deep that lingers.

S- best smelling beer I've ever put my nose in. Big time pineapple, grapefruit, light lemon grass. It's like shoving your nose into a fresh ripe just picked hop cone.

T- Grapefruit pineapple, and grassy notes make this beer very refreshing. The bitterness is present but just flows across the mouth prefectly with the beer.

M- light/medium body with a great medium carbonation that just barely sears the taste buds leaving them aching for more.

O- This beer is just simply great, I would really like to experience another American pale ale that can battle up to the zombie dust. Prefectly balance very American flavor forward craft beer.

3.97/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours golden yellow with a great foamy white head. Pine, grapefruit, mango, nice grass notes, caramel and lemon on the nose. Grapefruit, lemon, pine, orange, caramel, very smooth malt character with a great hop bite! Medium on the palate with a balanced malt and pine citrus finish.

4.53/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer received in a trade, bottling date unknown. Poured into a small snifter.

Appearance- Creamy layer of head that fades into a thin, eventually-dissolving ring. Head returns willingly with some swirling. Beautiful orange hue is incredibly appetizing. Very nice looking beer.

Smell- Orange zest, lemon rinds, sweet malts, and citra hops.

Taste- Juicy hop fruits explode onto the palate. These are balanced nicely by a nice sweet malt backbone that goes toe-to-toe with the hops. I keep expecting a bitter edge at the end, but it doesn't come. I'm not sure if this is super fresh, but I like it all the same (I love beers with assertive hops and malt bases to back them up).

Mouthfeel- Pitch perfect carbonation levels and the beer rolls around the mouth in a creamy fashion.

Overall- Great beer. Amazing for the style, and I could drink probably 20 in a session (although maybe not at over 6%).

3.08/5  rDev -32.2%

Quite cloudy though not sure if its bottle conditioned. White head settles to a thin lace fairly quickly.

Heavy hop aroma of floral and strong grapefruit notes. A good dose of sweet malt seems to detract from the hops though.

Lots of bitterness initially which fades to reveal some citrusy hop flavor and finishes with a sweet bready malt character.

Ok, not sure about this one. Can't see any date on the bottle so going to go with this. Would be happy to give it another shot but wasn't too impressed with this first try.

4.03/5  rDev -11.2%

HUGE thanks to Momar42 for the bottle! Unfortunately, it's 6 months old, but beggars can't be choosers...

12 oz bottle poured into a beer mug.

A: Pours an intensely cloudy orange-copper color. The head is a one finger white color with some fantastic retention - it's been about a minute and the head is still there

S: There's no doubt this zombie is but a shadow of its former self, though it has held up well enough to be pretty good. This has a lot of papaya, mango, and honeydew melon, along with a piny brightness. I also detect a very subtle sweetness to it.

T: Extremely good for a six month old pale ale. Most of the bitterness is midpalate; the opening flavors are melony and sweet, while the finish is wonderfully neutral and bready. Nonetheless, this offers a decent melange of tropical fruits. If only it were fresh *sigh*...

M: This feels a LOT lighter than it looks, and goes down with amazing ease. Carbonation is perfect for what this beer is, perhaps a hair too light. The finish is surprisingly wet, likely due to the (un)dead hops.

O: I really like it - but it pains me to review it in this state, given the circumstances. On the plus side, I could really see this being one of my favorite beers EVER fresh, so needless to say, I'll be on the hunt for fresh bottles of this!

4.79/5  rDev +5.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip.

Pours a slightly hazy orange with a nice white head. Smell is tropical - mango, papaya, maybe a touch of a fruit cocktail syrup. A bit of grapefruit as well. Taste follows the nose mostly with the grapefruit and a bit of the tropics. There's also a really nice caramelly malt note on the finish that wasn't too noticeable on the nose. Ends with some really pleasant bitterness that invites you to take another drink. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with enough carbonation to keep it EXTREMELY refreshing. The beer absolutely lives up to the hype. Has enough complexity and intensity to keep it interesting while being refreshing enough to quaff. Can't get enough of this beer.

4.41/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On draft in Chicago's Local Option.

Given the pedestal my beer friends puts this beer upon, I was a initially underwhelmed when I finally had a full pint in front of me. The beer was surprisingly clear and lacking in the nice creamy head I was expecting. The first fruity, citrusy whiff put those fears to bed, however. Delicious hoppy goodness with bits of orange peel. The taste follows with a nice hop punch and tastes of grapefruit. Just awesome! This embodies the smooth, fruity IPA/AIPAs that I love. Really great stuff that is not to be missed if you have the opportunity.

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Globe glass.

A. Pours 3 fingers of big foamy head. Thick lacing. Good retention. Color is a hazy brownish shade of orange.

S. Massive hop smell for a pale ale. Nice crisp citrusy hop aroma. This is one of the hoppiest pale ales I have smelled. A bit of dry biscuity malt that I find in most of 3F's beers lies beneath all the hop aroma. To be honest there are a lot of IPAs that don't smell this good. Grapefruit, and another citrus fruit that I can't quite put my finger on dominate.

T. Taste is very hop forward as well with an almost mouth coating bitterness. Get that almost classic orange marmalade flavor that only a few of the best IPAs can pull off.

M. Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Lingering bitterness.

O. A beer that crosses the boundaries between APA and IPA. Who really cares though as long as it tastes good. This beer definitely tastes good. Wish I had easy access to this as a year round staple in my fridge. 3 Floyds does excellent hoppy beers, and Zombie Dust is no exception.

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

Zombie Dust is a beautiful copper colored beer that is very clear. The many bubbles and one finger cottony white head also make it a beauty to look at. The head retention was amazing as there was some foam all the way to the end of the glass. Lastly, ZD left some very nice lacing down the glass. This is a very attractive beer.
From the aromas I could only detect hops. Grapefruit, pepper, and as the beer warmed grass are what it offered to my olfactory nerves. I really enjoyed this aspect all the way to the bottom of the glass as the aromas did not trail off at all.
The flavors are very much like the aromas, bitter grapefruit, pepper with not as much grass in the flavor profile as the aroma but it was present.
ZD is a medium bodied beer that offers quite a bitter and resinous hop punch right off the bat. It's the real sticky kind of feel that makes you want to pucker up and it is amazing. It finishes more dry and with the pepper notes and leaves a bit of a citrus aftertaste.
What a fantastic beer. I do not live in the distro are for ZD but if I did it would be a staple in my fridge. I will buy this beer whenever I have the opportunity.

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from a bottle into an HFS sniffer

A: Translucent golden honey color with a small white head that dissipates quickly but lingers in a ring for a while after. It is cloudy but not too cloudy with floaters or anything, great start.

S: Lots of tropical fruit melons peach and others it is almost overwhelming but I love it. I cannot smell much else but that is the only downside i can see.

T: The taste definitely follows the nose lots of melony and fruity flavors. The hops aren't as up front as I like but there is a subtile bitterness that lets you know they are still there. I am kind of surprised with the lack of balance, but I still really like it so its not all bad.

M: Very smooth and easy to drink, but pretty light for my liking especially in terms of a pale ale not bad by any stench of the imagination though.

O: I like it I really do, but it didn't quite live up to the hype for me. Definitely will get again, but I'm not going to make it a priority. Though one of the best pale ales I have ever had for sure.

4.09/5  rDev -9.9%

Let's just get this right out of the way. There's no beer on this planet that actually measures up to the hype surrounding it within the Internet beer community. None. And this is no exception.

Zombie Dust is a good pale ale with a massive consistency issue, much like many other Citra brews. Working in a liquor store, I've had this stuff many, many times. It almost never tastes the same. I took a year+ break from drinking it, thinking that absence would make the heart grow fonder, but my most recent brush with Dust left me scratching my head as to why this earns such high marks. There are simply far better pale ales out there, and even more that offer greater consistency in flavor. Y'all can keep it. Alpha King whips the dirt off of it, yet people sure aren't beating themselves up to buy it like this one.

4.68/5  rDev +3.1%

On tap @ 3 Floyd's brewery in a pint glass

A - nice clear light orange rust with white two finger head (4.5)
S- a tropical fruit punch, orange, mango, pineapple,guava but surprisingly light (4)
T- wow! A sweet malty cotton candy sweet. Kind of like guava juice. Also get mango, orange peel. Very very nice
M-finishes dry and a little bitter like an IPA. (4.5)
O- Is this the best pale ale on earth ? No question. This goes without saying but it's a lot better on tap. Had a few bottles after this and wasn't the same. (5)

4.2/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured into a pint glass
A: 1 finger of white sticky tight head with good retention. Hazy orange-gold liquid with green tint. Pretty, though greenish tint is a bit off-putting. Nice head.
S: Tropical fruit and honey. Man candy. Mango, grapefruit. I'd like a bit more diversity in the aroma.
T: Lots of grapefruit up front and in the finish. Quite a palate wrecker! Some loos esters in the finish rattle around and don't quite jive - a negative. Slight malt framework. West coast style all the way! :-)
M: Round start and bitter finish. Quite puckering. Very dry end.
O: An enjoyable APA that is firmly in the IPA or session IPA territory. If we call it a session IPA, it's the best I've had of the class to date (will have to check my rating on All Day IPA). Big thanks to warnerry for the bottle! I would love another and will buy 6 next time I see it.

4.67/5  rDev +2.9%

There’s really no denying that is an exceptional apa. It’s got 3Fs flair for sure, and nearly on par with Alpha King. Aroma is an A+. Tons of big, juicy, tropical citrus fruits, subtle pine, and vibrant florals. More tropical fruit here than usual 3Fs. It’s so hop fruity, but balanced with sweeter melon fruit, caramel, and cereal grains. The pour is decent, semi-translucent with a golden body, and fluffy creamy, starch white head. The body is light-medium (for a 3Fs product), big on flavor, though not quite perfectly balanced. Less of the great tropical fruit compared to the nose, but more lemon grass, strawberry, and melon starburst candy. Also, caramel and malted cereal with some light soapy qualities. Finish lingers very well with more florals and citrus. I definitely liked alot, but maybe not quite on par with Alpha King, though that is definitely debatable.

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.