Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,541 | Ratings: 9,912
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle: Couldn't take it serious at first.. It brought me back to my POG days and thinking the best looking POG was the coolest.. I was a little apprehensive at first..

Pouring it into the glass I noticed a slight cloudiness (as opposed to the other "greats" I have tried) I was wondering why it was this hue, and then I took a whif.. hmmm.. A bit of stinkyness that draws me in.. Kind of a musty oldness that calls my name...

Once I took a sip, I noticed that it was different than most traditional APA's and its close cousin the IPA.. It stood out.. It had a great aged lemony taste, and as you drink you get that skunky citrus that hit you when you opened the bottle...

Super smooth and creamy on the feel.. So cream and smooth that its weird it doesn't taste like a milkshake.. It is really pleasant on the palate... This is my favorite feature of this beer thus far..

I have a lot to explore in my beer wold. I cant wait to introduce some of these beauties into my new Cafe..

If anyone has some recommendations on great craft beers to bring into Avocado Cafe, Please email me at [email protected]

Cheers.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fresh 12 oz bottle into tulip

A - Gorgeous. Slightly hazy copper with 1-2 finger white head that lasts forever. The head never fully dissipates, it only reduces to a 1-2mm thick coating on tiny bubble floating on the surface of the beer. Exceptional lacing.

S - Aroma is massively hoppy with grapefruit and pine out the wazoo! Mango and other tropical fruit aromas are included and complemented by a sweet bready caramel malt backbone. Great aroma

T - Such a perfect pale ale, I am floored. Bready and sweet malts meet up with intense citrus hops. The malt profile presents you with rustic bread, toasted grain, and sweet caramel just starting to burn. Hops include grapefruit, mango, and a touch of pineapple. The toasted grain finish is beautiful.

M - Medium body, perfect degree of dryness in the finish. Envelops the entire mouth and engrosses the drinker.

O - This beer is a revelation. I went into this beer thinking it'd just be an IPA with an APA label on it. I was wrong. IT is very much an APA with a more hop-forward profile, but retaining not only a balance with the malt, but also a strong and flavorful malt presence overall.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to awdturboiv, I had this just 7 days after it was bottled. Definitely best tasting single hopped pale ale I've ever had. The only APA that I've had that's been better is HF's Edward, but they are totally different tasting beers with different profiles. The hype surrounding this beer is legit. I can still practically taste it a day or two later. This could totally be a desert island beer for me.

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

Not sure how to rate this beer and I'll explain why...

Let's call this a session IPA in my book and a very freaking good one at that! Good bready bubble gum malt backbone here which "I Guess" gives it credit for an American APA. :-/

A - Blood Orange, not much head to speak of or retention but active in the tulip and Guinness perfect pint I've poured these in.

S - Very unique hop profile here. Like nothing else I've encountered. Straight fresh squeezed Grapefruit Juice and Bubble gum. Nuff said.

T - Much of the same. Very unique flavor and the best word to descrie this beer is as juicy juicy juicy! Enough juicy hop grapefruit flavor here to satisfy the biggest of hopheads! And sessionable to boot! Enough bitterness to keep getting through about 24 oz before it becomes too sweet from the malts...

M - Good, juicy sweet but here is the problem: This beer is GREAT fresh. Within 2-3 months of bottling, I'd bank my next month's rent (I live in SF) that this will become repulsively malty.

O - Let's compare this to the benchmark of the style, SNPA. While having a TON more flavor, I wouldn't want another Zombie Dust after 24 oz. On the other hand, I could drink SNPA until I puke...why, because the of the finish the SNPA provides...dry. Zombie Dust becomes too sweet and sugary, almost overly-so after a few. I'd take a 6-month old SNPA very muchso over a 6-month old Zombie Dust. To Zombie's hype train credit, the only other fresh APA's I'd take over it are RRBC's Row 2/Hill 56 and Drake's 1500 on tap. Drake's is argueable.

Let's give ZD more credit, I need to revisit on tap. Very Very good beer!

Thanks rfraga77!! You, as always are the MAN.

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

This label is amazing, but with Three Floyds you typically get some pretty awesome label designs. The beer itself looks good, but not quite as cool as the label. It's a slightly hazed copper-sunset-gold sort of color, various shades running throughout depending how the light hits it, and the head is fluffy and just slightly off-white.

Aroma? Just freaking amazing. A big, cool, shiny blast of extremely bright and zippy hops. Fallback descriptors like "piney" and "citrusy" just won't cut it here. It's a ton of both, but quite a ways beyond. It's magical, that's what.

Flavor brings things slightly down to earth (or at least, not as far out into the galaxy as the aroma), with prickly yet pleasing doses of mango-like spiciness, grapefruit peel, lime zest, sticky kind bud, dryer sheet, and a certain rye-like graininess that adds its own spicy twist and makes sure some malt character nudges in to the spotlight that shines on the big, bold hops. But with all this "yeah, yeah, hops!!" talk, it's a really well-balanced and even approachable beer. I can see why it's classified as an APA: virtually no alcohol heat, and nothing over the top on either the hop or malt side...just an extremely flavorful and hop-centric beer that happens to have a relatively low ABV. More magic, more magic.

Feel is decent enough, very much true to style, buoyant and lighter body with ample and just-right carbonation. But nothing more to report in this department.

I'm so freaking glad I picked this up during a visit to Three Floyds. They better keep this one on their roster as a permanent deal. Seek it out!!!

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. No bottle date, which is the greatest shame that Three Floyds bears. Thanks to kif for sending a couple of these! My wife loves this stuff just as much as I do.

Appearance - Hazy golden body with a small white head. Retention isn't so great, but the lacing is sticky.

Smell - Citrus hops, whoa. Pineapple and floral hops round it out, but it's a citrus fest. Behind it are some grainy malts, but nothing resembling sweetness. Awesome.

Taste - Orange and grapefruit. Grainy malts in the middle, but again no sweetness. Touch of bitterness, but it's very low. Really delicious.

Mouthfeel - This is my only criticism. It's not bitter enough. I know it's not an IPA, but it's so hoppy that I want some of it to translate into bitterness. Totally light and drinkable. I need more.

Overall - Delicious. It's an IPA, really. Who are we kidding? It would be one of the best IPAs, too. The best pale ale by far (sorry, Peeper!).

look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On tap at 3F brewpub. I'm not a huge fan of the style, but this was a pretty spectacular beer. Beautiful texture, balance and taste. Not at all the hopbomb i expected, like most 3 floyds stuff. So much so, that I brought a case home with me. I'll be having a couple this weekend.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Can't say enough good things about this beer. Poured out a beautiful light amber color, with a just off white head that left great lacings. Smell was really fruity and made me salivate for it hitting my mouth, which it did shortly.

Things got even better from there. Great fruit flavor, lot of grapefruit, with just a tiny bit of malt to hold things steady. Enjoyed every last drop, shout out to Tim S for including it in a gift bundle.

Will definitely seek this out again. Maybe an excuse to make it down for dark lord day...as if any were needed !

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

Clear orange body with a nice stiff white head.

Tangerine and fruit punch mixed with some heady in the aroma. Damn this smells good. Thankfully the taste delivers. I was scared that the 50 IBUs as listed wouldn't be enough but this beer came through with the citra hop flavor. Lots of dank bitterness and more tangerine flavor. Closing in on Hill Farmstead status but a little unrestrained and wild which is FFF style.

This is the best beer I've had from 3 Floyd's. The major problem I have with this beer is that it's very high in alcohol for a pale ale. The taste totally works but for what it's labeled as I want that sessionability and the abv is just too high. Comes through just a little bit in the taste too. I have to knock it in the overall points because of that.

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

My utmost thanks to my local trader, tone 77, for somehow scoring an ADDITIONAL bottle to pass on to me! My jaw hit the floor when I began going through his latest goodie bag and if he needs references, hopefully mine will suffice.

There was no gushing when I removed the cap, but there was a finger of thick, tawny head by the time that I finished with the pour. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose was rich with citrus - grapefruit and orange in abundance. Mouthfeel was medium to full with a citrus intensity on the tongue that killed off all of the weak taste buds that got in its way. I felt like the fellow in the old Maxell tape commercial - blown back in my seat by the intensity of the experience. The finish was literally breathtaking - I really felt as though my breath had been taken away for a second or two after the swallow. The next thing to hit was the intensity of its dryness as I tried to catch my breath. The hops were toying with me to see if I measured up and I was doing my best to rise to the challenge. I suppose that my loss means that I will be transformed into a zombie at some point, but if a transformation must take place, better in my mind to be a zombie this way than a Cyberperson via a Minhas product.

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle courtesy of a2rob who had stopped by FFF on the way to Madison. No bottling date. Poured into a Bell's snifter and quaffed two days ago, 4/13/2013. Have had quite a bit of previous experience with this beer both on tap and bottled.

Aroma: Lotta citrus in the form of freshly squeezed grapefruit and lemons. You can almost smell the acidity. It's balanced by some bready malty sweetness but it's almost entirely grapefruit here. Very appetizing nose that whets my thirst.

Colour: Pours a burnt orange body with a 2cm white head that takes more than a minute to dissipate into a thick white collar. Looks appetizing. The lacing is very thick and proliferates even more as I drink more of this nectar.

Flavour: I get tons of freshly squeezed grapefruit sweetness as well as the bitter acidity of citrus. That's pretty much what I get here, straight up with a background of honeyed bread sweetness, and the bitter kick of the grapefruit really delivers at the end. Not super complex (given it's pretty much a Citra-show) but very tasty and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Typical of IPAs- lighter side of medium body, resinous and every surface that it comes into contact with is left with a stinging, bitter citrus juice sensation for a good half minute or so. It would be like drinking concentrated grapefruit juice with a sugar backbone I'd have to say. Finish is a bit dry although full of bitter citrus.

Overall: This is probably a fresh bottle but it's been 4 months since I had it fresh at the pub (which blew my mind) and took home a case which I've enjoyed very much. I think my palate's evolved quite a bit with all the imperial stouts and DIPAs I've had recently- beers with more malt backbone. This is a very drinkable IPA (I don't care if BA calls it an APA) that showcases the Citra hops and what it can do given a minimal malt backbone. Honestly, after having had more APAs/IPAs, this is definitely one of the best I've had. I think a lot of it is branding (this beer didn't sell well when it was known as Cenotaph), limited distribution (almost but not quite brewpub only) and an otherwise excellent beer. Regardless, I enjoyed drinking this beer so I can't take too much away from it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Bottled 12-20-16.

A: Pours a somewhat hazy golden-orange in color with a 1/2 inch, foamy, cream colored head with short retention. Thin, white lacing throughout.

S: Big aromas of citrus and tropical fruits consisting of grapefruit, orange, pineapple, melons, mango, and passion fruit. Milder hints of earthy and piney hops.

T: Starts off with big notes of grapefruit and orange rind followed by milder notes of pineapple, melons, guava, and hints of caramel malts. Tropical fruit elements become more present as the beer warms. Finishes with a nice lingering piney, resinous hop bitterness.

F: Medium bodied, smooth, and crisp with moderate carbonation. Somewhat dry finish.

O: Overall, this is a great APA. Very well balanced and drinkable. Showcases the Citra hops well, though it's not as fruity as a lot of other highly rated Citra APA's. Would really like to try a fresh bottle or fresh from the source to see how it compares.

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

A: pours a very clear orange/golden color with a decent white foam head that dissipate rather quickly.

S: a very nice mixture of floral and citrus hop aroma. Nothing too over powering.

T: a nicely done malty backbone that is full of hop flavors that blend nicely and leave a very mild bitterness. Hops give off a great grapefruit and very subtle pine flavor.

M: medium-to-full body, but goes down very easily. Carbonation is just a tad light.

O: very good and true to style. Malts and hops are blended very well together and provide for an easy to drink beer with a lot of hops.

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

Served on-tap in a clear waisted glass at The Publican (Chicago, IL).

A: Medium-amber with soft 1/2-finger cap of foamy light beige head with good retention and plenty of lacing.

S: Explosive nose of grapefruit, pineapple, mango, and passionfruit with big floral aromas as well. There is some resiny components as well. The maltiness plays second fiddle.

T: The flavor is very hoppy but not astringent and just moderately bitter which allows the big fruity pineapple, grapefruit, and mango notes be maximally enjoyed. The maltiness provide more crystal sweetness, although it is very light, like 20L, along with a fair dose of Munich to supply some light breadiness. I agree that this tastes more like an APA, but it is very aggressively hopped for aroma and flavor with a restrained bitterness.

M: Incredibly drinkable with a moderately dry finish along with light-to-medium body and soft carbonation to give a creamy and lighter than expected feel.

O: A wonderful beer that I was very glad to get a chance to try on-tap. It drinks right on the edge of APA-IPA styles but feels more like a hefty APA than a light IPA, although neither of those would be wrong. A superb beer and I was surprised to find out it was brewed exclusively with Citra -- need to try brewing one of those soon!

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

Had this on-tap on 2012-06-19 in Warsaw, IN at The Downtown beer bar. Also had this on-cask on 2013-04-07 at the brew pub in Munster, IN (it was equally good, if not a little better on-cask)

A - Fairly clear, golden-orange with a 2-finger white head into a nonic glass, which fades pretty quickly and leaves mild lacing.

S - Big amounts of mango and papaya, some pineapple and orange flesh, pine, hop bud oils. More aroma than when I last had it in the bottle.

T - Mango, papaya and orange flesh. Nice amount of pine then some orange zest bitterness. The sweetness of the malt really compliments the fruit flavors and briefly gives a creamsicle impression. Finishes dry and nicely bitter but with a clinging tropical and citrus residue.

M - Creamy with medium body and carbonation. It's thicker than I expected, which seems to compliment the idea of biting into fresh fruit. Somewhat oily but not prickly. There's certainly enough carbnoation to scrub the tongue; leaving you ready for the next taste.

O - Just a fabulous APA although truth-be-told, it is more IPA than APA. Great, great stuff. Unfortunately for me, when I went to order my second pint with dinner, the waiter told me I'd my first glass killed their keg. A well; at least I got to taste it fresh on-tap less than 2-hours from the brewery.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

First Zombie Dust, its about 2 months old.

A: Pours a deep amber golden color. About a 2 finger light khaki head.

S: Wow, cant believe this is a pale ale. Getting a ton of sweet citrus grapefruit with a smack of hops to finish. Really reminds me of some DIPAs on the nose. Blown away on the aroma with this being a pale ale.

T: Pretty bitter citrus with some tropical fruits coming in. Very sweet similar to Hopslam IMO. The hops have noticeably faded a bit.

M: Medium bodied, heavy carbonation with a bitter dry clean finish. Slight sweetness coats the mouth.

O: Fantastic world class beer. Lives up to the hype even if the clouds didn't part and the angels sing when I drank it.

Appear : A little bit hazy orange-golden color with white foamy head. - 4/5
Aroma : Big nose of citrus from Citra hop. - 9/10
Mouthfeel : Medium-high carbonation, medium body. - 4/5
Taste : Like eating citrus, juicy flavor and citrus, piney hop flavors. Very dry. - 9/10
Overall : Great pale ale with citrus character. Prefer Pseudosue to this, but this is amazing too. 17/20

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

12oz bottle into my Ithaca glass. It poured a hazy, pale amber color with a frothy, white, half-inch head to it. Good head retention and lacing as I drank it.

The aroma is amazing. It has some huge, fresh, tropical fruit flavors that really jump out at you. Notes of pineapple, peach, mango and orange all come out and mix wonderfully. I'm a Citra lover, and this beer is pretty much as good as it gets for me personally on aroma.

The taste starts out showing more of a bitter, citrus rind, grapefruit like profile to it. As you progress more of the juicy, bright notes of pineapple, peach and mango all start coming out. The finish leaves some sweeter, juicy flavors lingering.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side with carbonation being moderate. Overall it's a fantastic beer. I love Citra hops, so this was right up my alley. It was so juicy and bright and so drinkable at the same time. I loved it overall and only wish I could buy it more easily.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a nice bright deep orange color. The nose is full of citra invoking some fruity lemony citrus and some tropical fruits. I think the bottle was only a week old at most. There is a nice balance between the bitter and fruitness of the beer; I'd say citrus more in the line of orange and grapefruit. Overall a really good IPA.

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Golden straw yellow with a nice 1 inch foamy head, lots of sticky lacing.

Smell - Strong oily hops, herbal, very dank, weedy. Oranges, lemons, grapefruit. Some wheat and pale malts come out in the finish.

Taste - Starts out with a very smooth hop bite that is citric and smooth. Has a real thick, oily, resin hop flavor in each sip. Very herbal, grassy with a nice amount of caramel malts and pale malts.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, citric hops coats the tongue along with some malts and sugars. Palate gets nice oily resin from the hops. Aftertaste is light, tropical fruity and mildy malty.

Overall - A beer that lives up to the hype. So smooth, tasty and easy to drink. Packs quite a hop punch for being a pale ale, but the hops arent super bitter so its not going to crush your palate. World class yes, and unique, i cant compair it to any other beer ive ever had.

Poured into a 12 oz snifter

A: Orangish yellow, slightly cloudy

S: Like beer heaven, grapefruit takes the center stage with hints of places warmer than the Midwest in January

T: Lots of grapefruit hops with a very surprisingly clean, if not slightly malty finish (not very bitter at all)

M: Pretty smooth with nice carbonation, a touch watery

O: Easily the most complex APA I've tasted. Really solid hop flavor profile with some nice malts to back it up. If I could get easily, it would be in my fridge at all times

4.55/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L- Hazy amber color. Good lacing.

S- Sharp piny hoppy smell with a hint of lemon.

T- Delicious and refreshing. Well balanced. Slightly dank and piny with hints of citrus. A little bitterness and just enough malt for balance.

F- Light body, dry finish with lingering citrus.

O- One of my favorite beers. I wish I could find it more often.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Raging Bitch tulip both given to me by my beer mentor (backfat)

The appearance is a cloudy light gold color with a small but noticeable head that went away quickly. The smell is out of this world, reminds me of Gumball Head on steroids. The same fruity notes come out in both with this i get more floral tones than with the Gumball Head but very similar. Once I got past the formalities and actually got to taste it what I got in the smell carried over to the taste as far as it being similar to Gumball Head. This beer to me is a heavier more tasty version it. I enjoy drinking this and could see myself drinking multiple of these. This has a very good mouthfeel and is very pleasant to drink. Overall this is my 2nd favorite FFF beer but that puts it into the top 10 of all beers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

My 100th review, and I planned it such that I had one of my favorite beers at the right time. On tap at the brewpub in Munster on 8/12/12, served in a nonic pint.

Pour: Mostly clear deep orange with two fingers fluffy white head. Head diminishes to a light coating. Leaves great lacing.

Smell: Wow - a burst of tangerine and grapefruit, followed by some pine and pineapple. A nice caramel maltiness rounds out the nose. Very inviting.

Taste: Even better than the nose... Grapefruit and tangerines provides a beautiful citrusy opening. Gives a nice pine and orange bitterness. Caramel maltiness provides a really exceptional balance.

Mouthfeel: Not too bitter. Goes down so easily, but leaves an awesome bitter citrus/pine taste the palate. I could drink this all day.

Overall: One of, if not my favorite beer. Always a joy to drink this.

4.55/5  rDev +0.4%

Received a 12 FL OZ bottle in a trade w/ mdvatab & am unsure of the estimated price of this. Poured from the white/green labeled bottle w/ Zombie Dust in Green & a Zombie wearing a crown on the front into a Crown Royal Shaker Glass. No freshness date since its a FFF brew.

Aroma- A refreshing and strong grapefruit aroma starts out this APA. Malts are evident too in a medium fashion, and then citra hops evident.

Appearance- Pours a 1 finger head that stays for appropriate time. Has a semi-hazy, golden body but then there is no lacing afterwards.

Flavor- Awesome FFF hop blend used! Citra and grapefruit are the biggest characteristics in here and the hop bitterness is medium. Very enjoyable all the way through as well as balanced.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied, Medium-High Carbonation, and leaves hop on the palate but not much else.

Overall Impression- Simply fantastic! This was tough to compare to Alpha King but have to say I enjoy this one more (from memory). Will be looking back @ my Alpha King review and seeing how it compares. This one definitely had some malt aroma/flavor that helped balance out the taste and make more characteristics happen. Will be getting this one again, and hopefully in a 6-pack or more!

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.