Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,515 | Ratings: 9,791

I am coming back now to write a quick blurb on this beer. I have had it on tap at 3F's and it was amazing, but I hadnt had a chance to sit down at home, pour my own, and really think about it...

A great friend from IL just sent me a fresh 12 pack of these beauties and I sat down to properly enjoy one poured into my 3F's Teku. THIS BEER IS AMAZING! I thought maybe I had built it up in my head based on other reviews and the excitement I had to drink more, but that is NOT the case. This is the perfect beer. Litterally. If I could rated this at a 10 I would.

This beer is everything that I want from an IPA (I know, its an APA), you can sip it slowly, you can session it, you can live on it. I would drink this every day if it was possible. Seek out this beer and savor every sip.

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Perfect would too strong of a word. So very good on every level. Look taste color and ....and ...and ... The one draw back was my local so cal vendor got it as a mistake and I have not seen a bottle on the west cost since then ( no I know what pliney fans are going throug)

Do your self a favor, you see this beer buy it all, buy everything on the shelf... Then call me so I can buy it from you

Just yummy

4.48/5  rDev -1.1%

Appearance: Cloudy brown at top. Great tan foam and lacing.

Smell: Pine hops. Not as complex as I expected, but it hits this note superbly.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Basically and IPA. Pine, grapefruit, and one of the best bodies of any beer I've had. It's sorta the Halle Berry of beer's in that department if you catch my drift. I can definitely taste why they call this Zombie Dust...it's all in the feel. Very subtle, but it lingers for quite a while after it sneaks up on you like a flesh-eating zombie.

Overall Drinkability: Incredibly beers. Earns extra points for having a name that perfectly describes itself.

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served in a pint glass at Local Optiom in Chicago. Pours a hazy but vibrant orange/golden color with a really thin white head, and lots of thick cling.

Smells of bright mango/passion/citrus fruit, with a nice hop balance.

Taste is similar, with mango most obvious. It also has this resinous character to it, but it's not too piney.

Feel is nice and smooth for the style, light to medium carbonation, but nice and creamy. There is a distinct pulp aftertaste.

Overall, Zombie Dust probably not a 5. It's very good, and I'm glad I got to try it. Would love to sample in a bottle.

4.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Oh my, already smelling citrusy hops before I finish pouring. Vibrant orange body with a golden hue. Body appears thin. Thin head with adequate retention.

S: First noticed a strong pale malt aroma followed by a uniquely juicy fruit hops. Deep whiff is oily/resiny.

T: Pungent, hint of tangerine pucker, softly sweet as strawberries, tropical taste of mango. All the malts do is give strong support to launch such potent hop flavors, definitely strong but not struggling for attention.

M: Slightly dry lingering, seems well attenuated by the higher alcohol and lighter body. Carbonation is subtle but lively. Hop bitterness is mild at most.

O: The beer itself does not blow me away as it is straight forward, not much complexity. However, I am extremely impressed the way the hops are showcased. FFF does something unique in their hopping process that other breweries do not replicate, and that does include the wild hop bombs of Sierra Nevada, DFH, Russian River...

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- very colorful golden orange, yellow tints. carbonated well. lots of small bubbles.

S-mmmm lots of tropical fruit lots, mango grapefruit, small pineapple. not to complex buts raises some eyebrow.

T- big citrus, balanced like no other, bready malt, extremely juicy but not overpowering. really tasty.

m-medium body, nice carbonation throughout the beer.

simply the best pale ale i've ever had. never pass this one up. trade if you must.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12oz. bottle with a sweet ass glossy label. This label was done by a comic artist and it shows it. On the label is a zombie king wearing a gold crown, a Spider-Man style spider on his chest, a Superman cape, and holding a Thor style hammer in his left hand. To the left of the zombie king in big bold lime green comic style lettering is the name of the beer. Flanking the good king is a brief description of the beer and all the mandatory US info. No best before or bottled date anywhere. Thanks!

When poured into a pint glass, this "supposedly" rotting blood thirsty corpse of a beer was actually a very beautiful semi hazy golden amber with some faint lemon yellow highlights. Not only was the color impressive, but the head of foam as well. The initial head of foam was a good 3/4 of an inch in height and almost as fluffy as a new pillow. As for the color, pure white. White as the driven snow. It had great retention that left behind a milky white film and streak after streak of white lace. The milky white film lasted until the last drop of beer was gone. Eye candy all the way! The beer's appearance is the complete opposite of a zombie.

Does it smell like a zombie? It certainly does not! Very potent, but not rotting flesh potent. The first aroma that came pouring out of the glass was the thick aroma of ripened to perfection grapefruit. Once my nose got its fill of grapefruit, my nose found the fresh scent of lemon zest, lemon grass, a dash of coriander, a splash of orange peel, more grapefruit, and a load of bitter citrus hops. I was able to detect a small whiff of toasted malt at the end. When I found that, the grapefruit and hops swept in and covered it up.

This beer did not let up and it wasn't going to anytime soon. Like the aroma, the first thing that came out was the perfectly ripened bitter and tart grapefruit. Waiting patiently behind the ripe grapefruit was the great taste of tart lemon, a pinch of lemon grass, a drop of orange peel, a small slice of pineapple, and a few pine needles. The taste is not done yet. After all that, in comes a thick powerful wave of bitter citrus hops. Unlike the aroma, the grapefruit and citrus hops let in a touch of malt at the end. They didn't cover it up like they did in the aroma. They let it out of the cage for a short time.

Despite clocking in at 6.4% ABV, this was a medium bodied beer. There was more than enough carbonation to keep your tongue entertained for hours. If that's not enough, there was also a full flavored aftertaste. The aftertaste was just as good as the initial taste and just as hoppy. The aftertaste had more bitter and tart grapefruit, tart lemon, a splash of orange peel, a few blades of lemon grass, and bitter citrus hops. This nice aftertaste lingers on for a few minutes. I'm glad that it stuck around.

What a beer! This beer made me a zombie. Instead of looking for juicy brains, I'll be looking for more of this delicious beer. Sometimes a beer will hide behind a cool label. This is clearly not one of those beers. The beer was just as good as the label. Would I drink another one? That's a stupid question. Of course I would. I would drink a six pack if I could find a steady supply. I would like to thank my good friend Matt for giving me the opportunity to try this sweet brew.

4.14/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Thanks to Docrock!

12 fl oz bottle served in a pint glass, reviewed live:

A - Pours a murky golden orange color with two fingers of off-white, thin head. Retention is poor.

S - Pungent. Sweet citrus, bready yeast, orange peel, lemon zest, caramel and grapefruit. Amazingly well balanced. A fresh hoppy aroma while remaining incredibly well balanced. As well executed as I've come across for the style.

T - More woody and piney then I'd found in the nose. The freshness of the hops is amazing. A sturdy crystal malt backbone counters the hops nicely. Tangy citrus and resinous pine come through on the finish.

M - Crisp and light. A bit dry even. Oily.

D -Incredibly drinkable. I wish I had a year round supply. Great beer. My first beer from Three Floyds, and I can't wait to try more.

4.94/5  rDev +9.1%

12oz bottle shared with yamar68 & thank you for this Bennett. Poured into a a wine glass. Appearance is light orange, pretty clear, with a nice two finger head.
This beer smells like a 5. Potent hops, extreme dose of tropical fruit.
My palate just had it's mind blown. Well, it's exactly what i was looking for. It's an IPA to me and it's world class. Peaches, pineapple, citrus, and other passion fruit - extremely tropical and a bit bitter, balanced as well. Mouthfeel is crisp, light, extremely drinkable. Overall this is IT!

4.79/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

My favorite beer. Have had many chances to drink this and it's failed me zero times. I've gotten sick of other citra hop beers but not this one, it sustains everything that I like about beer. An excellent make by FFF.

I rated it high so will discuss more about areas I didn't give it a 5, also excuse my inability to phrase fruity descriptions on paper.

Appearance is always good, though I do prefer appearance of a slightly darker ale. Smell is fantastic, though a beer like Westvleteren to me has a better aroma. A bit more kick I suppose.

Taste, as noted above my favorite so it gets the top rating. With that had to give it top rating for mouthfeel too seeing that everytime I finish a sip or gulp in my head I'm smiling and thinking wow that was fantastic. I probably do this in reality sometimes too.

Overall, a solid 4.75.

4.42/5  rDev -2.4%

Never had on tap but have had many bottles of this, and it is a truly spectacular beer. Fantastic aroma and hop profile, I am in the minority but as a huge VT beer fan, this one is in a league with Heady, anything from HF and Lawson's. Appearance is as to be expected, an orange-y color, nice fluffy head and lacing that lasts and lasts. I could breathe this stuff in all night if it wasn't also so tasty -- a spectacular smell and taste, and worth trying if you can.

4.39/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

APPEARANCE: Eggshell colored head which foams up to about a half an inch before gently falling into a nice, coaster-thick cap. The beer is a bright orange with a touch of haze and thousands of little bubbles streaming from the bottom. Excellent lacing with full coverage of the backside of the glass – by full I mean about 98% of the back side is covered. This is the closest thing I have seen to perfect lacing.

SMELL: Wow. Huge aroma. This reminds me a lot of Avery’s Ale to the Chief in the nose. A lot of grapefruit, some orange, more tropical fruits and a touch on anise…sounds weird, but it works. There is also a touch of woodiness along with a solid dose of sweetness.

TASTE: The citrus runs this operation and the palate instantly gets smacked with grapefruit. Hints of lemon linger on the sidelines and a very subtle tropical fruit sweetness creeps in. I’m not getting the caramel that others have described here. While the flavors are all delicious and intense the Zombie Dust is not terribly complex. This is just a straight forward, highly bitter, really tasty, citrus bomb.

MOUTHFEEL: The Dust has a wonderfully dry taste throughout the sip, particularly on the finish. There is just barely enough malt in here to prevent it from becoming a palate crusher. Crisp and clean.

OVERALL: While this may be an overhyped beer, it isn't by much and it is certainly one I wish I had regular access to. It has also improved greatly since the first time I tried it a few years ago when it first came out. Perfect porch beer for a nice, warm afternoon.

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

First Zombie Dust, its about 2 months old.

A: Pours a deep amber golden color. About a 2 finger light khaki head.

S: Wow, cant believe this is a pale ale. Getting a ton of sweet citrus grapefruit with a smack of hops to finish. Really reminds me of some DIPAs on the nose. Blown away on the aroma with this being a pale ale.

T: Pretty bitter citrus with some tropical fruits coming in. Very sweet similar to Hopslam IMO. The hops have noticeably faded a bit.

M: Medium bodied, heavy carbonation with a bitter dry clean finish. Slight sweetness coats the mouth.

O: Fantastic world class beer. Lives up to the hype even if the clouds didn't part and the angels sing when I drank it.

4.66/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Golden, Hazy orange with a thick head.

S: Grapefruit and hops jump out

T: Bitter with a lot of citrus jumping out. Very much like a single IPA. Long aftertaste with a bit of caramel.

M: Highly carbonated, which is the most notable difference from your standard IPA.

O: This may be the best APA I've ever had. It's a level above Russian River's "Row 2 Hill 56". As much hops as a single IPA. Highly recommended.

4.42/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a golden hazy orange with a massive white head and sticky white foamy lacing all around the glass for most of the beer.

S: Aromas of sticky sweet ruby red grapefruit and pine, medium caramel scent

T: Super bitter with a citrus profile. Very pleasant aroma profile with an underlying bitterness that basically makes this an IPA. At 6.4% its teetering on the edge of IPA, but whatever, just a classification anyway. Very well rounded with bitterness, aroma hops, and caramel flavors. The largest downside I get out of here is the earthy aftertaste that is rather mineral intense and tannic. Light caramelization is gentle and adds to the complexity.

M: Highly carbonated and stings the tongue with a medium body for an APA.

O: Overall this is a solid APA, strong and well flavored. After all the commotion this beer has caused in the forums for the past year or so, Id say it is slightly over the top with the hype that it received. Its good, Id drink it sure, but Id still prefer some other APA's over this one that are relatively readily available.

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very fresh bottle thanks to MegDuf32.

Pours a really nice bright orange with a nice frothy white head.
Aroma is awesome. Valencia oranges, blood orange, cara cara orange, grapefruit, lychee, mango. It is all tropical fruit and it is wonderful.
Taste is very similar to the aroma. A lot of citrus and tropical fruit flavors with a nice hop bitterness in the finish.
Mouthfeel is smooth and nicely carbonated.
Overall a great beer.

4.7/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The Dust lives up to the hype kinda.... It's a good brew with excellent hop character but I am a Pliny, Heady Man and although different styles ZD seems a little dull to me. It's a World Class APA thats for sure. The beer pours a nice head and has a good flavor. Do I think it is the #7 in the World...no way. I would buy this for sure if I could get it but I would have to put it in the downstairs fridge because the upstairs one is full of Heady, Pliny and Abrasive. That said It's the best APA I have ever had....if it's an APA.

Bottom Line: World Class beer....kinda!

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours hazy orange with one to two finger fizzy white head. Strong hops aroma right out of the bottle. Packed with notes of citrus fruit, pine and floral undertones. Flavor is citrusy and slightly sweet balanced by bitter finish. Light to medium body with great carbonation. Absolutely my favorite IPA "Pale Ale." Combines all the best things about east and west coast IPA's.

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Golden yellow with a finger of head that sticks around.

S- Big citrus, lemon, orange peel.

T- Not as big as the smell but still pretty damn good. Bitterness up front, but not a smack in the face bitterness. Citrus, pineapple, oranges.

This is what I compare all ipa's too even though it is classified as a apa. Great beer, a must have for everyone.

4.77/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

What can I say that hasn't already been said about this beer? How did 3F fit something so amazing into a totally session able pale ale?

I first had this on cask at the brewery a few months ago. Was I blown away! The smell and thick frothy head were the first two things I noticed. Must be some Carafoam in there.

I could drink a 6 pack of these every night and die a happy man. Not to mention the price point. $35 a case or roughly $8.75 a sixer. I would gladly pay double that.

4.03/5  rDev -11%

Great beer. I drank it before I knew it was in the top 10 beer list on BA. That being said, I was a little surprised it was as high as it was. I actually would prefer a Sculpin over ZD. I enjoyed it, but wouldn't go out of my way to get more bottles of this beer. Hopefully I will run into it again sometime though.

4.62/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Fresh bottles straight from the FFF brewpub.

Appearance - Pours a slightly hazy golden amber. First thing I thought of was the amber from Jurassic Park that trapped the mosquito with dinosaur DNA. 3 fingers of head vanish and leave some beautiful lacing. Very inviting.

Smell - Citrus hoppy goodness blasts your sinuses. Love this smell.

Taste - Grapefruit, pineapple, orange peel, slight bits of tangerine. Bready backbone. Bold, hoppy aftertaste. Best tasting beer burps ever.

Mouthfeel - Medium. Nice carbonation. Finishes clean and wet.

Overall - A great, flavorful beer that must be consumed in moderation. I wish I could call it a session beer but it simply isn't. 2-3 of them and I'm flying high... And my tolerance is NOT low! Just a phenomenal pale ale. I challenge anyone to find me a better one.

4.64/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to smchenry77 for this one!

What can I say that hasn't been said already. Best Pale Ale out there. So juicy and citrusy. Good hop profile but zero hop lingering bitterness. Nice carbonation that gives it a crisp feeling. Such a clean finish.

I'll be trading for this again...fo sho!

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

Smell- maybe the best smelling beer I've ever had, definitely the best among pale ales. Smells very citrusy in the best way possible.

Taste- This is a pale ale, not an IPA, so don't expect a hop knockout. The hops hit you fast but fade off as the taste dissipates. I waited for the hop reinforcements like most other pale ales, but this one took the category seriously and didn't overdo it. I think that was the best thing about the beer. Definitely citrus tastes are more present than the hops. The carbonation was a little heavier, also just right.

Overall- my favorite pale ale I've had. It would be hard to beat.

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

Finally made a pilgrimage to Three Floyds brewpub, did not disappoint at all, especially with Zombie Dust on cask! Though I must say, it was served a little chillier than I expect my cask...

A- Hazy cloudy golden color with a tiny frothy head around the brim. I assume the haze is due to the cask conditioning because none of my bottles were quite as hazy

S- absolutely freaking amazing! cornucopia of wonderful citrus fruit, lots of mango, tangerine, slight grapefruit on the back end. everything you want and more

T- just more of the same, an explosion of bright citrus flavors. citra is the showcase here and I'm overbidding.

m- the cask makes this out to be like a mango creamsicle...heaven

D- Sorry Edward, this just squeaks by you

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.