Zombie Dust | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Zombie DustZombie Dust

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by hansgruber on 12-09-2010

Reviews: 1,498 | Ratings: 9,686
4.11/5  rDev -9.3%

First had: bottle, extra courtesy of pdeepak, amid the great Mikkeller glasswale debacle. Thanks!

Decanted into a Three Floyds teku glass, of course, yo, light copper-colored liquid, pale and slightly hazy, capped off with a foamy white head that seemed to last forever, and that left waves of soapy lacing on the glass. Juicy citra hops greet the nose, and pretty much take control of the aroma, though there are hints of a pale malt sweetness in the background. In the taste, again, hops are the dominant factor, as I would have expected, lots of orange zest and some pithy bitterness, biscuity malts taking the edge off slightly, keeping this on the fine line that separates IPA from APA. Body on the lighter side of medium, crisp and clean, and a tasty, drinkable treat. Nothing here that I haven't had before, and nothing really that screams "greatest APA in the world," but it's still a solid and tasty brew, will always be welcome in my fridge.

4.23/5  rDev -6.6%

Growler courtesy of Iain. Thanks!

A: The beer pours a hazed golden orange color with a huge off-white/khaki head and nice sticky lacing.

S: Great hop nose to this beer. Big pine and citrus peel. Tons of grapefruit with a little bit of bready malts and a hint of toast and caramel. Mildly grassy on the back end.

T: Mildly sweet malts of bread and toffee. Big citrus peel, pine, and grass hop flavor. A moderate level of bitterness to it and a hint of fruitiness. Nice solid flavors to the beer.

M: Medium in body with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Really easy to drink and a great flavor and aroma.

4.8/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I enjoyed this on tap at Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier VT, served chilled in a tulip.

The color is apricot shade of golden with hazed look and rings of lace cling with white head and fine bead. The smell is great strong citra scent with lots of pine and pineapple with mild zest of citrus with incredible amount of citrus hops in the aroma. The feel is great -just a touch of malt with plenty of hop bitterness and oils with med high bitterness in general and smooth oily dank resinous body with medium carbonation and semi-dry finish.

The flavor starts with citrus zestiness and juicy tropical fruit -mild mango and pineapple flavors give way to juicy grapefruit and light pale malt with subtle herbal and almost grassy accents with pure hop goodness all the way through. Love the fact this has a balance of malt for the style yet not holding back any hop intensity at all with finesse in the flavor. Overall one of the best pales in existence if no THE best - very worth with the emphasis on Citra making for a enjoyable flavor from first sip to last with citra essence in each taste -incredibly drinkable.

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received from adamdd. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. No date on the bottle that I could notice, but sure tasted fresh.

Golden yellow/orange color and pours with a little amount of head.

Smells of hops with some citrus. Taste was delicious, but really...nice and clean, not overly hoppy or bitter which I though was great. Beer was well balanced.

Overall looking forward to tracking down more of this beer.

4.18/5  rDev -7.7%

Served in a shaker pint glass at The Firkin.

Missed this one before, but now I get to try it on cask. Second chances rock. It pours a clear, bright, lemony straw topped by a finger of cream-white froth and populated by some minor floaties. Were it not for that last bit, this would probably look damn near perfect. The nose comprises orange zest, grapefruit, lemon zest, apricot, very light leek, and mild caramel. The taste holds notes of orange zest, orange rind, lemon peel, grapefruit (both red and white), light pine, mandarin orange, and some even milder caramel than before. The body is a rather light medium, with a very light carbonation and a rich, smooth feel. Overall, a very nice APA. I probably didn't think as highly of it as many, but it is a damn fine beer, let me tell you.

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%

Big thanks to Deuane for picking me up a growler of this one during his recent trip through the brewpub.

A - Pours slightly hazed golden orange with a nice one finger tall white head leaving

S - HUGE amounts of grapefruit throughout this one. Tons of oily citra hops dominate the nose with a bit of lightly toasted sweet caramel malt hiding in the shadows. The second we cracked this growler I could smell it from across the room.

T - Starts off with a huge, oily, citric hop bite quickly giving way to a mix of strong tropical fruits like grapefruits, pineapple, and oranges. Once the hop resins die down you get a bit of the chewy, lightly toasted, caramel malt but this one really is all about the hops. The alcohol is nearly undetectable, only coming through at the very end of each glass. The finish is a mix of citric hop oils and some light chewiness, lingering for some time.

M - Medium-Light body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Lots of hop oils and some light chewiness in the feel, lingering through the finish. Even with all these hops it remains quite light.

O - Well that growler disappeared pretty damn quick. I could drink this one all day, every day, it is that good. The citra hops are the perfect choice for this beer and this is easily one of the best hop-forward pale ales I have ever had.

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a hazy golden orange in color with light to moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some apricot + bright orange highlights. The beer has a two finger tall fluffy cloudy off-white head that reduces to a medium sized half finger tall dense foamy cap with a thin film covering the majority of the remainder of the surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of toasted and caramel malts underneath much more intense aromas of citrus/grapefruit/orange, tropical/mango, and pine hops.

T: Upfront there are moderate flavors of toasted and caramel malts that impart a light to moderate amount of sweetness. The malt flavors are followed up by even more intense hop flavors than were present in the smell - there is a significant amount of citrus/grapefruit and citrus/orange followed by moderate amounts of tropical/mango and finally a light to moderate amount of pine. Moderate amounts of bitterness in the finish which lingers slightly.

M: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Crisp upfront and slightly dry in the finish.

O: This is an extremely enjoyable beer with wonderful flavors and aromas from the hops - I really enjoy the combination of the citrus and tropical hops with just a touch of pine. I found the beer to be quite easy to drink and extremely enjoyable. I would drink this beer all the time if only I had easy access to it.

4.51/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review from notes.

A: Pours a orange color with a one finger off-white head with decent retention. Little bits of sticky lacing form on the sides of the glass.

S: Extremely aromatic. There is a massive citrus/tropical fruit explosion in the aroma. Lots of grapefruit, pineapple, lemon, and a bit of guava even. A bit of pine is mixed in as well as some faint graham cracker malt. Extremely fresh.

T: Certainly citrusy, with some grapefruit, pineapple, and a bit of orange. It does not taste as fresh or come off as tropical as the aroma did, though I wish it did. Very hop forward for an APA, which I am a fan of.

M: Medium bodied, a bit of the thick side for an APA, but drinks smooth and crisp.

O: A very nice beer, but I think I like Alpha King more. I definitely want to give this beer another go though and would love to drink them side by side.

Edit: Had on tap at FFF and bumped scored a bit. Was (4/5/4/4/4)

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

12oz bottle into my Ithaca glass. It poured a hazy, pale amber color with a frothy, white, half-inch head to it. Good head retention and lacing as I drank it.

The aroma is amazing. It has some huge, fresh, tropical fruit flavors that really jump out at you. Notes of pineapple, peach, mango and orange all come out and mix wonderfully. I'm a Citra lover, and this beer is pretty much as good as it gets for me personally on aroma.

The taste starts out showing more of a bitter, citrus rind, grapefruit like profile to it. As you progress more of the juicy, bright notes of pineapple, peach and mango all start coming out. The finish leaves some sweeter, juicy flavors lingering.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side with carbonation being moderate. Overall it's a fantastic beer. I love Citra hops, so this was right up my alley. It was so juicy and bright and so drinkable at the same time. I loved it overall and only wish I could buy it more easily.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From 04/30/11 notes. Had on tap at Dark Lord Day at the brewery.

a - Pours a light hazy orange color with an inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, oranges, grapefruit, fruity malts, tropical fruits.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, grapefruit, fruity malts, tropical fruits, pine hops.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Smooth and very easy to drink.

o - Overall a great APA; up there with Alpha King. Glad they're going to start bottling it, would love to have it again.
___
EDIT: 01/26/13

I've had this many times over the years, and every time it's been better since that DLD. Super easy to drink and one of my favorite APA's ever...bumping it up a bit.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into a nonic pint glass, an apricot golden orange hue with a bright chunky head just barely off white in color. Fine even lacing lines the sides of the glass as the head dwindles down. Aroma has a super citrus grapefruit nose, hints of crushed aspirin, tropical fruit with a underlying biscuit malt character. Flavor is crazy with Citra hops bringing out tropical fruit marmalade it's pretty awesome, nothing else like this creates the same flavor. Bitter citrus peel, pineapple notes, and a mellow biscuit malt sweetness matches the bitterness. I keep getting a really green peppermint tone in both the nose and the flavor, crazy but it works with the beers flavor. The palate is coated with hop oils ample carbonation rolls everything perfectly across with each sip. Overall a classic pale ale that could be most breweries, IPA really unleashes the perfect wave of Citra hops equating into a easy drinking pale ale that we all wish was more readily available. Thanks to the great trader, Ryan aka Schlais, out of Minnesota for this early Christmas gift.

4.3/5  rDev -5.1%

I've had people say that this beer is better than Pliny and really talk this up quite a bit.

Well, the citra hops are clearly in play here. Strong hop presence. Good bitterness. I wish that the flavor profile would last a bit longer, honestly. It hits, and it's nice, but it definitely doesn't last as long as I'd like; or as long as it should, really.

In the grand scheme of things, it's a very nice beer. Brings some punch, but doesn't go overboard. I suppose that's what a pale ale is supposed to do.

I can't say that it's better than Pliny, off what I'm having here. (It's dipa vs. apa and apples vs. oranges). But it's a good beer. I'll have to try it on bottles one day.

cen·o·taph
   /ˈsɛnəˌtæf, -ˌtɑf/
-noun
a sepulchral monument erected in memory of a deceased person whose body is buried elsewhere.

Use cenotaph in a Sentence:

I sure do enjoy sharing this growler of Three Floyds Cenotaph!

Growler shared by Thorpe429 and Amyliz4. Thanks Mike and Amy! Served alongside Hill Farmstead Citra IPA.

A: Cenotaph appears a slightly hazy shade of light orange, with an inch of white head that generates some great lacing upon the pint glass.

S: Citrus and hops. Very fresh and wonderfully inviting.

T: Fabulous taste, with a healthy dose of citrus, à la Citra hops. Extremely delicious and hop forward.

M: The feel was nice, with a decent showing of hop bitterness in the finish.

D: Very solid IPA. I would be happy to drink this again.

Edit: February 2012
Recently made my way through a case of this with the help of some friends. Absolutely phenomenal beer. Right up there with the best hoppy beers in the world.

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

My utmost thanks to my local trader, tone 77, for somehow scoring an ADDITIONAL bottle to pass on to me! My jaw hit the floor when I began going through his latest goodie bag and if he needs references, hopefully mine will suffice.

There was no gushing when I removed the cap, but there was a finger of thick, tawny head by the time that I finished with the pour. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose was rich with citrus - grapefruit and orange in abundance. Mouthfeel was medium to full with a citrus intensity on the tongue that killed off all of the weak taste buds that got in its way. I felt like the fellow in the old Maxell tape commercial - blown back in my seat by the intensity of the experience. The finish was literally breathtaking - I really felt as though my breath had been taken away for a second or two after the swallow. The next thing to hit was the intensity of its dryness as I tried to catch my breath. The hops were toying with me to see if I measured up and I was doing my best to rise to the challenge. I suppose that my loss means that I will be transformed into a zombie at some point, but if a transformation must take place, better in my mind to be a zombie this way than a Cyberperson via a Minhas product.

4.42/5  rDev -2.4%

12oz bottle into a FFF pint. The brew pours a clear orange with slight off-white cap. Rising bubbles of carbonation maintain a thin layering atop. A swirl revives a half finger of almost tan coloration.

The smell is juicy with hops. Rindy with fruits and a floral component giving way to fresh herbs. It is tangy with a soft touch of alcohol across the nose. Overall a very fresh, enjoyable smelling brew.

The taste is juicy with hops. Floral, fruity and herbal with rindy and zesty bitterness leaning towards grassy but not quite. An accenting fruity alcohol touch and an undertone of toasty malt provides enough sweetness to really make the hops pop. There is no joke here, this brew is all about the hops. I love how flavorful this brew is without the bitterness getting overdone.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. It is crisp and very easy drinking. If made readily available to me, I would drink this regularly and in excessive quantities.

4.54/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. No bottle date, which is the greatest shame that Three Floyds bears. Thanks to kif for sending a couple of these! My wife loves this stuff just as much as I do.

Appearance - Hazy golden body with a small white head. Retention isn't so great, but the lacing is sticky.

Smell - Citrus hops, whoa. Pineapple and floral hops round it out, but it's a citrus fest. Behind it are some grainy malts, but nothing resembling sweetness. Awesome.

Taste - Orange and grapefruit. Grainy malts in the middle, but again no sweetness. Touch of bitterness, but it's very low. Really delicious.

Mouthfeel - This is my only criticism. It's not bitter enough. I know it's not an IPA, but it's so hoppy that I want some of it to translate into bitterness. Totally light and drinkable. I need more.

Overall - Delicious. It's an IPA, really. Who are we kidding? It would be one of the best IPAs, too. The best pale ale by far (sorry, Peeper!).

4.31/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours slightly hazed deep golden with a lasting foamy white head. Strands of lacing stick.

The smell is of robust citrus - grapefruit and orange. Spicy, with some pale malt mixing in.

The taste is citric - grapefruit (some orange), balanced by a firm grainy malt backing. It has a bitter finish.

Smooth despite lingering bitterness. Juicy.

A hop-forward pale ale. Very well-done, to say the least. Great choice if you want a hoppy brew that is on the border of an APA and an IPA!

4.18/5  rDev -7.7%

Received in trade from phisigben, thanks for the opportunity.
Pours a slightly cloudy golden color with a huge fluffy white head that displays great retention and lacing. Smells of citrus, pine and resin mostly with hints of green onion and garlic. If there is malt in here I can't find it. Taste is citrus, pine, resin, and green onion with maybe some bits of bready malt if I squint a bit. Long lingering onion hop bite in the finish. Medium to light body with a moderate level of carbonation with a sharp resinous mouthfeel. I'm glad I got the opportunity to try this brew, but to call this a pale ale is quite a stretch, we could safely call this an IPA. That being said, this is a great IPA.

4.56/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to MegDuf32 for sending a couple of these as extras! Love this beer but I've never bothered to write a review til now.

Pours a fairly dark but clear amber, large tan head with a rounded even cap. Looks great.

The nose is epic, huge grapefruit and orange citrus, bitter pine, a bouquet of other fruits and flowers. Incredibly juicy hop aroma.

Taste is equally amazing. The citrus hop in this is enormous, so much grapefruit and tangerine and mandarin orange, and just the right amount of piney bitterness. Not a lot of malt to speak of, just a light sweetness from the citrus to balance it out.

Drinkability is super good, lots of carb, big full body.

What an amazing beer!

9.6/10

4.35/5  rDev -4%

Thanks to Dunn for bringing this back from his travels.

A - bright orangish amber with a thin lacing of white head

S - very flora, spicy, citrusy

T - spicy, peppery, floral, grapefruit

M - medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated

This has a huge floral hop character with some spicy, citrusy notes as well. It's incredibly hoppy, incredibly drinkable and very smooth. I'm glad I have a few more bottles to enjoy.

4.35/5  rDev -4%

Zombie Dust. Three Floyds pale ale with 100% Citra hops. 6.2% ABV.

Clear, amber/apricot/peach coloration. Generous heap of ample snowy white froth atop. with loads of lace-leaving. Looks great.

Aromatics: Big fresh and floral hoppitude, overflowing citrus notes. Some lemon, some lime, a hint of pineapple, a gesture towards mango. Loud, lively, and lovable.

Taste: boom, there it is, bouncing on the palate, swimming in the mouth, a flood of hoppy goodness. Medium malty mouthfeel, nothing too heavy, nothing too hard, just a ton of easy-drinking-ness. A flood of fruit hits the sense with each new sip, a blast of citrus greets the tongue and hits the roof, and slides down the throat. Very refreshing, and super-extra-consumable.

But is this the best thing ever brewed in the history of mankind? Don't think so. Come on, it's a pale ale. Get over it.

3.95/5  rDev -12.8%

Picked up an extremely fresh growler of this at Three Floyds. Served in a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A - Pours with two fingers of creamy white foam that settles to a solid cap, leaving behind great intricate lacework. Transparent golden body, with a few stray bubbles.

S - Citra hops. Just pure unadulterated Citra hops - huge citrus zest, light cat pee and pine. Negligible malt character.

T - Bit citrus hop flavor, yeasty mid-palate, and a bitter finish. This is one of the few times I think a hoppy beer could use more malt character.

M - Light body, slightly gritty texture, lower carbonation. Finishes extremely dry. Was surprised to see this was 6.2% - thought it was a percent or two lower.

D - It'd be pretty easy to crush a growler of this while watching a football game, but the weak body and flavor has me reaching for Daisy Cutter instead.

4.8/5  rDev +6%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass. BRAINZZZ!! THIS OH YEAH! Fresh bottles from a recent shipment.

Wonderful uniform pinhead bubbles in the head, quite foamy but surprisingly settles very slowly for it's fist-full tall size. Off white picking up some of this real nice body color. Body color is just a slight haze but otherwise a real gorgeous clear orange tangerine color. Nothing sticking as bubbles to the side of the glass, some faint slow rising carbs in the middle the odd bubble. Slight hanging light clumps of icicles and glass lace. If it wasn't for this slight cloudiness in the body it would be perfect. Truly splitting hairs here.

Wonderful soft and chewy fruit citrus hop. Orange, grapefruit, pulpy rich but just a hint of subdued character. Faint green pine in the back, with a clean sense coming and hint of light character maybe as well. Feels big, but not in IPA territory. Melon comes out more after repeated quaffs.

Incredible feeling of fresh squeezed orange juice, with a light bodied palate. Malt and white sugar hits on the swallow with a great malt backbone that disappears in a flash, letting the hops character linger more and more. Hints of juice but controlled down, no fizzy character or gas, repeat tastes bring more citrus fruit basket quality. Orange, tangerine, cantaloupe melon character, so much going on.

It's full of hop character but light and not boozy. It's big but it's true to a pale ale root. Even at 6.2 it has a light session-able very low sensing abv quality. It is STUPIDLY drinkable, I could go through this six pack I swear with joy in under an hour... but I must control myself. Just flat out amazing.

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

Well Ladies & Gentlemen....we have a new favorite beer...replacing previuos fav....Two Bros Cane & Ebel. I had this beer at Moe Joes in Downtown Plainfield....excellent restaurant.

The beer's appearance was downgraded slightly because I would have like to see a bit more head than what was present. Even with the small head...it laced perfectly. The color was golden and clear.

The scent was perfect as far as I was concerned. Beutiful balnce of subtle pine and citrus neither were overbearings that included hints of spice/floral aromas. The taste was incredible a perfec t taste that was not puniched or bolstered by high abv, which made this beer unbelievably drinkable. The smooth taste starts with pine hints then converts to citrus prior to teh swallow and lastly it comes of the pallete clean. I could session this beer all day....all night....wonderful. No question this beer is worth a try!!!

4.74/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a dark, vibrant, golden-copper coloring with a steady flow of carbonation throughout the body, and a foamy, bubbly, low profile, off-white head. Aromas of tart and sweet grapefruit, lemon zest, and orange rind blending with dried grass and piney resinous notes. Flavors are very tartly sweet forward, heavy on citrus, but with some tropical notes here and there, as well. Pineapple and mango highlight the heavy notes of grapefruit and orange rind. All of this atop a bitter green backbone of pine resin, dried grass, and moss. Perfectly balanced, on effervesced, crisp, and dry body. The aftertaste is a solid, balanced blend of the bitter green notes and the citrus medley. Amazingly balanced from beginning to end. The finish is smooth, slightly dry, and effervesced from the carbonation that stays steady flowing the whole time you drink. Amazing beer!

Zombie Dust from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.