Brandy Barrel Aged Dark Lord With Vanilla Beans | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Brandy Barrel Aged Dark Lord With Vanilla BeansBrandy Barrel Aged Dark Lord With Vanilla Beans

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

(AKA Marshmallow Handji)
This is our massive Russian-style Imperial Stout aged for one year in brandy barrel with Madagascar vanilla beans. Thick, smooth, complex, and warming, this rare beer will certainly be remembered.

Added by Jips on 05-05-2011

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

4.56/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I shared this beer with a bunch of awesome Ba's at my birthday party in June.
Reviewed from notes.

Wow.
After having that Brandy Alpha Klaus mess I was worried about this bottle... But upon smelling it, all fears have subsided-- this is really shockingly good.
The pour looks a lot like most other pours of Dark Lord-- dark black, thick looking body with a small, practically non existent head. Weak retention, almost no lacing, but nice thick oily legs.
Smells incredible-- huge vanilla bean notes over a chocolate and coffee presence with plenty of very-well-integrated brandy notes.
The taste is delicious-- it is very much like the vanilla bean dark lord with a sweet boozy brandy note... It isn't overly done, and it isn't super hot and boozy. It is just right.
Thick body. The low carbonation (even lower than normal darklord) helps it feel nice and creamy.
Overall-- wow. I shall not doubt the FFF boys again when it comes to using the brandy barrels! This is delicious!

4.95/5  rDev +8.1%

Bottle #98/433
Served into a Tulip

Cracked this one open at a tasting last night, and I was immediately blown away by the aromas gushing out of the bottle. My god, vanilla, vanilla, vanilla!!!! This beast pours a thick chocolate black, with very little head. It absolutely reeks of vanilla with a slight hint of bourbon. At this point I was already satisfied, and didn't know how to feel, knowing that I was about to taste this gem. Then came the first sip....HOLYY CRAPPP!! Had to take a second sip to confirm my inner thoughts and....HOLY CRAPPP!! This monster made it to my top 3 beers ever tasted, might even be the best(coming from a guy infatuated with BA stouts). It tastes of vanilla, bourbon, some touch of chocolate, a tiny bit of oakiness, and a great deal of boldness. This thing is fantastic, and I believe needs to be drank right now. It left a sheath of vanilla and bourbon over my tongue, and made me never want to brush my teeth ever again! (unfortunately I brushed that night). This thing is so fantastic, I really haven't done justice to it with this post. Now off to tracking another bottle...

4.59/5  rDev +0.2%

Dustin, thanks for being the guy behind me that won this bottle at DLD. Bottle # 231/433. Based on the OSU schedule, these notes are from 9/24/11. Likely poured into a small Delerium snifter/ticker glass.

A - Black, light tan head with minimal lacing. Stick to glass well. Not perfect, but it looks pretty nice. Does not appear as thick/black as regular DL.

S - I don't really need the notes here, as this one sticks out in my mind. Fudge, vanilla, sweet alcohol. Quite fantastic. I got a lot of fudge on this one. It was likely due to the sweet vanilla mixed with the DL. I didn't get any brandy. I tried, but just couldn't find it like I'd anticipated. Oh well, the aroma was about perfect as it was.

T - Fudge, sweet vanilla, brandy, lingering vanilla. Alcohol present towards the end. Esters clear the nose. Fudge and vanilla linger with the booze towards the end. I don't get what I'd call the molasses and coffee that is evident in the '10 regular version. The brandy comes in in the back-middle flavor just perfectly. I really enjoyed this flavor.

M - Fairly thick mouthfeel, but not as thick as the regular DL. Pretty nice for a BA stout. It fits well with the beer and allows for the flavor to carry, which I suppose is what a BA stout should do. In comparison to all RIS, this is a 4.0, but in comparison to other BA RIS, this is a 4.5.

O - Great beer. Top notch all around. The asking price at DL day was about the top of what I think is possible to pay...they must have been doing some market research. I would never try to get another bottle considering the trade asking price, but I'm extremely happy to have tried this one. I guess I'll have to get in line next year to see if the regular vanilla DL is better.

4.45/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Brandy Vanilla BA Dark Lord
38th Review
Bottle to snifter.
Bottle “smeared number”/433

A huge thanks to Matt (exitmusic00) for sharing this at our epic DL Variant & Other Ticks Tasting in Chicago and his woman (Michal) for picking this one at DLD 2011. Stoked to try this epic treat!

L: Deep black with a few bubbles for a head on vigorous pour.

S: A smooth mix of Count Chocula and Cocoa Pebbles cereal soaked in milk. Sweet chocolate and lots of it. Slight hint of caramel and vanilla, but very masked.

T: This beer tastes like a roasted marshmallow s’ more. Like the scent, the vanilla is hidden or possibly just overshadowed by chocolate. Either way, this is a very wonderful taste. Not too sweet, but succulent and smooth.

M: Light carbonation, but very full bodied. Well-balanced and smooth. Not too boozy, but you can tell it is there; it warms the soul.

O: This beer was a lot of fun. I enjoyed it for the fact that it was not anything like I expected it to be. I could see sipping on it around a toasty camp fire in the middle of a brisk fall evening! Right up there with the PVW BA DL as a result of its simplicity and my ability to merely enjoy it – fantastic!

4.42/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Dark and black. If you look around the edges it is apparent the beer itself if more of a dark brown in color, but in the glass it comes off as black. Forms a very thin bit of dark tan head, but not as much as the straight brandy variant.

S: Starts off chocolaty and boozy, but then a blend of marshmallow and chocolate, much like a breakfast cereal. Some light vanilla. The aroma is strong, quite interesting, and for lack of a better term, "fun."

T: The flavor mirrors the aroma. More chocolate, milk chocolate, and some light caramel notes. Vanilla is apparent on the finish. Moderate sweetness. Someone in the tasting group likened it to Count Chocula, and I couldn't agree more: a lightly chocolaty, marshmallowy sweetness.

M: Full bodied with low carbonation. Considering how boozy the straight Brandy Barrel variant was, this one had barely a hint of alcohol and what was there only added to the complexity.

O: A very good, easily drinkable RIS. Of the four variants, I found this one to be the most unusual and the unique. Really just a fun beer that was my personal favorite of the bunch.

4.67/5  rDev +2%

Last DL variant opened for our tasting. Courtesy of existmusic00. Poured into a Duck-Rabbit snifter. Not sure what bottle number this is as it was smudged.

A- Pours a typical DL color but this one seems to have the most carbonation with a mocha head that dissipates leaving a thin cap. No lacing.

S- Tons of milk and dark chocolate, reminds me of cocoa pebbles, a bit of vanilla, oak, roasted malt, caramel and some toffee.

T- Best way to describe this was that it tasted like eating a slightly burnt marshmallow in the middle of the woods. Fudge, vanilla, oak, roasted malt and caramel are noticeable.

M- Medium body and low carbonation, despite having the highest out of the 4. The ABV is hidden extremely well is this variant with a syrupy mouthfeel that finishes a bit sweet.

O- This was my favorite DL with the PVW coming very close. Sweet but not cloying and very smooth. Not a lot of similarities to the regular brandy DL. Overall, very delicious.

Thanks again Matt!

4.62/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle tried with the other versions and all the years.

A: Black with thin ring of very dark head.

S: Quite sweet - toffee and chocolate cake. Lots of vanilla.

T: Chocolate cake with vanilla. Some toffee. Fairly simple, but very, very appealing.

M: Thick with light carb.

O: Amazing - very sweet, but quite good. Just a small serving is enough, though.

4.3/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours a dark brown reddish. Thick viscous, a bit of tan head that dissipates quickly. Smells like vanilla dessert. Tons of roasty malt. Oxidized raisiny aromas. The vanilla comes through strong. Tastes raisin heavy, roasty and fruity. Thick smooth mouthfeel. Boozy, strong, pretty enjoyable. Overall enjoyable but i had hoped it would be more exciting

4.62/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As one would expect it's pretty close to black with some brown showing around the edges. Not much head at all. The aroma is stellar - it is one of the best smelling beers I've run into yet. Deep and rich with a nice hit of vanilla - it smells like some sort of rich dessert - fudge-like. The taste is great, but a little different than I expected. There is just a hint of brandy to it and a big tasty vanilla character that softens the hit of a beer like DL. Still some heat in the throat, but not bad. It's nicely thick and smooth. I have to say that this is up there with regular Vanilla Dark Lord. Very tasty stuff and I'm really glad I got the opportunity to try it.

Brandy Barrel Aged Dark Lord With Vanilla Beans from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.