Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Porter

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

Added by zerk on 12-06-2002

Reviews: 749 | Ratings: 2,173
3.53/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle to a Dogfish Head Signature Glass.

Color: Black with a light brown head.

Smell: Chocolate and earthy hops up front. Followed by sugar and slight smoke.

Taste: Same as the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, slight coarse, good carbonation with a dry finish.

Overall: A well rounded porter with a good balance. Medium bodied and a nice Winter brew. Cheers.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

Very dark black pour with plenty of light brown head. Good retention and lacing. Nose is hoppier than I expected. Spicy, resinous hop aroma. Also plenty of chocolate and roast. The flavor profile starts bitter and hop forward. I get spice, chocolate, and a bitter bite. Medium body with somewhat more carbonation than I'd prefer. Overall a really nice porter.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Served from a frighteningly decorated 22oz bomber, acquired on a recent trip to Indianapolis. Been looking forward to trying it for a while. The Alpha Klaus pours out an deep dark suede brown with a creamy and persistent dart tan head. Aroma is surprising and mouthwatering, a unique blend of roasty chocolate notes and a very hearty dose of citrusy hops. Taste is amazing, different and leaves you craving more. It has everything a great porter should, lots of good roasty flavor and complexity with hints of chocolate and coffee drifting across your tongue. But just as you're starting to appreciate the perfect traditional porter flavor the hops grab you and make you sit up and listen, lots of crisp grapefruity flavor. A surprisingly good match, very well done brew, a bit too drinkable perhaps, as I wish I had lots more...

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

poured into uk size pint

appearance: deep dark black/brown with some light coming through the edges. nice offwhite pillowy head that makes some nice lacing

smell: subtle hints of chocolate, also some spice like peppercorn and maybe a little vanilla

Taste: Lots of hops for the style, taste is complex and malty with pretty prominent bitterness akin to the peppercorns. Espresso type bitterness, srved pretty warm its all coming right out at me.

overall: a bit hoppy i thought, with another 3-6 months on it i bet this one is really nice but that kind defeats the point. I have been a little un-impressed with FFF to be honest

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from bomber into nonic, nice sticky looking off white head that dissipates into little more than a film, and leaves little thin lacing. Body is musty black brown, almost opaque except when held up to light then the typical ruby is apparent and I can see the figure of my hand. Smells immediately of typical Three Floyds hop bouquet, with a chocolate underbody or backbone, hints of coffee, cocoa, pine, there is a mild roasted nutty character to this, and hidden bits of vanilla. I think as this warms the hop character mellows out or maybe I just adapt to it. Its strange one minute I feel the hop character is in competition with the dark malts and then the next I’m fine with the balance, its sort of a strange brew that way. The taste is reminiscent of dry roast coffee, with an underlying smokey nuttiness, that then exposes a slightly milky chocolateness with little hints of vanilla and then turns back to roasted coffee. The bitterness in the flavor is very nice especially as it warms not over bearing. Personally this could be a little more robust, I enjoyed this beer a great deal, but its not quite what I had hoped for still tasty just the same I'm sure I'll grab a bottle next year.

3.06/5  rDev -26.3%

A: Pours pretty dark, almost black, light brown head that hung around for a couple of minutes before leaving a little lacing on the glass.

S: A little bit of malt and carmelized sugar, but mostly just overpowering citrus... grapefruit for sure. Amarillo hops?

T: Dark malts and coffee but mostly citrus. Too much for me, I really don't care for it because it overpowers the subtlety of the malts.

M: I do like the mouthfeel, it's nice and creamy and some good carbonation.

D: Pretty low on the drinkability. I had most of the bomber but just couldn't finish it. It would be interesting to have this beer with a slightly more normal hop schedule to it.

Overall, it's a little disappointing for me, I always stop by the brewery on my way to Michigan and I've had just about everything they offer. This is the first by them I didn't really dig.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

A - poured a nice dark black with tan head that gripped the glass. Once it settled it kept a nice thin tan foamy layer on top S - Nice deep coffee aroma with earthy hops and some sweet malt. T/M - Bitter coffee follwed up by a touch of chocolate sweetness then bitter hops. It was decently carbonated and not too thick. I wasn't expecting so many hops though. D - This was good but didn't live up to the hype I expected. It had too much hops and not enough malt, chocolate, sweetness. Pretty good beer but could be better I think.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

A- Pours dark brown and opaque with a thick, lingering head

S- The bright smell of the hops comes through before the dark, caramelly malt aromas

T- Very malty with notes of brown sugar, cocoa and caramel. A surprising hop kick: a floral flavor followed by a bitterness to round out the beer.

M- Mildly carbonated and thick

D- A slow sipper, but definately drinkable (AND delicious)

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

served at FFF brewpub before Christmas. This is a first, after recently trying more porters and was pleasantly surprised by the balance of traditional porter characteristics with hops, I didn't expect to enjoy as much as I did. Great pour with solid dark brown head and lacing. Nice hop aroma with dark malt, chocolate aroma.

Really great beer, enjoyed two and wish they had some bombers to go.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Nice looking beer. Can just barely see through the deep garnet at the bottom of the glass when held directly up to a light. Nice beige/tan head that just covers the top of the beer. Really appropriate for a porter I think.

Definately get some hops in the nose. Big brash hops. No locos here. Also get some of the chocolate notes I think, or roasted or black patent or whatever.

Wow. That's a bitter porter. Really nice though. Its really almost an Impy stout really. Reminds me of some of the smaller impy stouts. Maybe not as agressive on the roasted notes, this still has them. Big hops bitterness and a refreshing hop flavor. Really enjoyable. But leaves a bit to be desired in the finish. Just a little rough. Might be the hop bitterness that's rough in the finish.

Mouthfeel is quite good. Little too carbonated for my tastes though. Little too prickly for all those hops. I could have the CO2 toned down just a hint.

Pretty drinkable. Definately tasty and not big enough to prevent me from having a couple bombers...but I'd definately be feeling good after more than 2 or so.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

This beer pours a pitch black with a thick long lasting tan head that leaves a wall of lacing on the glass as it dissipates.

In the aroma I get an amazing mix of citrus hops, caramel, roasted, and chocolate malts.

The flavor is sweet, chocolatey, roasty and hoppey as hell. The finish is all hops with a malt profile to back it up.

The mouthfeel is thick and sweet more like a stout than a porter but what the hell its 3F and it has a ton of hops. This is a very clean well put together beer I just wouldn't call it a porter but I guess it gets a pass since it is really a christmas beer.

3.45/5  rDev -16.9%

Great find for Ohio this time of year-2005 vintage, I presume.
Beautiful pour of a black bodied beer. Is this a stout in disguise? Amber rim with very little head retention.
Smell is a robust welcome from your favorite coffee shop.
Taste started off gnarly, but led the way to a disembodiment from it's 38 degree state of stasis, only to become a very watered down version of a very good stout. Very close to Guinness. You can pull it to your lips and smell huge coffee, but you end up tasting water. No shit.
Mouth of fluffy dark water that is only reminiscent of coffee, and I'm so glad to have bought a bottle instead of a case.

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3 Floyds Brewing Co. - Alpha Klaus Christmas Porter. 6% ABV. 650ml bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled on 11/7/15.

Look: Pours a very rich black, and settles the same. Semi aggressive pour created a small half finger mocha colored head.

Smell: Aromas of strong roast coffee, sweet chocolate, roasted dark malts, caramel, and some hops, all backed by a nice smokiness.

Feel: Viscous and creamy, with some carbonation.

Taste: Instant smoky roast coffee and sweet chocolate, with the dark roast malts, and caramel coming into the back end. The hops emerge about the same time, and mix with everything into the aftertaste.

Overall: Been waiting to try this since getting into craft beer back in September, and my brother managed to score two bottles. It sounds just like a typical Porter, until you take into account that is is brewed with hops, along with everything else. Since being so, it is a very unique brew, and actually is pretty good for a change.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

The smell is all cascade and chinook and similar smelling hops. Things that I love. If I were going by the scent alone, I'd be planning on having myself a nice IPA here, and friends, that ain't no jive. Deeper huffs show a percieved rye background and then a pine needle reprise.
As far as superficial looks are concerned, this is opaque brown with a head that is sexier'n a black thong.
Tastewise, the first notion is of dark rye toast. Maybe it's because I was braced for a hop blasting as eluded to by the olfactory hues of yesterbreath. The toast becomes more burnt, and the hops a bigger bringer of alpha acids. I didn't really find some of your more traditional porter suggestions like chocolate, coffee, and nuts to be players in these reindeer games. And maybe that should be chalked up as a real achievement here-pulling off a depth of flavor and intensity in a porter using hops as the main event without bastardizing the whole project.
My only ding here is that this lacks the girth I was hoping for in a big porter. For all the hops and loudness, it seems to me that there oughtta be a little bit more around the midsection. Especially for a beer named after Santa Klaus, big fat old fucking gluttonous slob that he is. Be that as it may. I can't really complain about the overall drinkability with this one. I drank the shit out of it.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours an opaque blackish brown, full finger of foamy beige foam slowly gives way to a moderate sticky ring of lacing, spotted coating also hangs on for the ride. Aromas are primarily roasty espresso and bittersweet chocolate, sweet and malty, pleasant hoppiness also present. Taste is also sweet, rich coffee and chocolate flavors, light bitterness, hops are more subtle in taste than in the nose. Mouthfeel is light to moderately bodied paired with medium levels of carbonation, washes down super smooth. Delectable beer, very drinkable and enjoyable, Will purchase the next release.

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

Picked this up at Binny's in the South Loop, Chicago. Ironically, a few hours before I drank this, my sister in-law asked me if brewers ever combine aggressive hops like in an IPA with a roasted malty porter. I told her that I hadn't experienced anything quite like that. Well, now I can say I have!

A: Nice reddish dark brown - almost black. Tiny mahogany highlights on the bottom edge against the light. Dark tan finger head that quickly dropped to a quarter and then dissipated to surface wisps. Produced big spotty lacing that didn't stick around too long. Quite attractive.

S: Big hops - more hops than you would ever imagine from a porter. When you smell more deeply, you get the roasted malt chocolate/coffee smell hiding under the floral hop. Combo of big hop, big malt and slight alcohol is almost medicinal - in a good way. Some cinnamon spiciness there too. Very unique and an appropriate seasonal warmth.

T: As I concentrated on the drinking, the smell focused in on the dark bitter chocolate which added a lot. Very lively hoppy fresh experience. It dissipates to a more chocolate malt and the hop bitterness comes back in the aftertaste. Strange combination of the smooth porter with an aggressive hop bite. Worked for me.

M: Really light and crisp. Carbonation tingles on the tongue and the back of the mouth. Medium/low body. I would usually feel like this was thin but considering the uniqueness and level of hopping, it felt appropriate.

D: Very light and drinkable. If I was trying to evaluate this brew as a regular porter, it may disappoint me in some ways. If I think of it as a hybrid of porter and seasonal Xmas ale, it becomes a very unique and enjoyable experience. It felt right for the season which I think is a very important factor. It offered the comfort of a porter with the optimism of hops - a really nice change. As a malt head that has developed a hop addiction, I find this beer to be extremely enjoyable. The higher than usual ABV didn't hurt either. Happy holidays!

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Package: 22oz. crowned brown bottle. Typically ornate 3F label depicting a green elf-like creature maniacally dropping hops into a full pint of beer. Blurb describes beer as an American version of a London Ale made with English malts, Mexican sugar, and unique hops; and having chocolate and floral flavors and aromas. Additional Christmas-y pictures. No ABV or date information listed, but believed to be this year’s.

Cost: Acquired via trade

Presentation: I figured an Anglo-American ale needed an Imperial pint. ~50º

Appearance: Fairly typical for a porter. Not quite black, with a nice, medium-gauge, light-brown head at first. Unfortunately, the head didn’t last very long, resolving to a thin but intact ½" layer. Bubbles percolating through the beer seemed somewhat large.

Smell: Nice, but somewhat underwhelming. The piney hops were definitely there, along with some coffee notes; but little in the way of the thick maltiness I expect in a porter, much less one modeled on an English ale. Not much in the way of floral notes either. Primarily pellet hops and pine.

Taste: Hops make the first impression, with a sharp, citrus-pine tingle. The next impression is of a very nice bittersweet coffee flavor, which turns out to be the highlight on the palate. There were some faint cocoa notes, but they may have been part of the deep, multilayered coffee flavors. There was no hint of alcohol (too little, really) and not much follow through. The finish was fairly short and dry, leaving mostly a preponderance of hops and some of that delicious coffee.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly thin and austere. The malts were underplayed, and the very low alcohol sensation robbed this of some of its impact. The flavors were all too fleeting in the mouth, with little finish. I also thought that this was a touch overcarbonated, more like an IPA in texture than a traditional porter.

Drinkability: While not unpleasant, nothing really stands out about this beer for me. Because I can think of several well-hopped and traditional porters I prefer, this ranks fairly low on the drinkability scale. Furthermore, the high cost and limited availability make searching this out a somewhat dubious proposition.

Backwash: To be fair, this was based on only two bottles from the same source, but I feel they were somewhat representative. I hope that the draught version is much better and I get to try it. Still, this is the first Three Floyds beer that I’ve found to be disappointing, especially after being so eager to try it. Aside from some nice coffee flavors, this wasn’t very flavorful in a multi-dimensional way and not much akin to any English ales or porters I can think of. Sure, the hops are there; but the malts were weak and the body and mouthfeel were thin. Especially after drinking some other porters recently, I found this a bit wanting. Not anything like a Fuller’s London Porter and a classy Imperial Stout. I’d take either of those (esp. the Fullers) over this in a heartbeat.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

First of '06. This looks great. Pours damn near black, with a hefty mocha head. Smells heavily of malts, hops, and maybe some spice or something. The flavor has a karate chop of roasted malts and a meaty portion of hops. As my palate adjusts the the intense taste, bittersweet chocolate and espresso come through. There is also that "something" that I can't put my finger on. It may be just a spicy hop. The mouthfeel is thick and foamy and slighly astringent. A strong sipper, in my opinion. A great way to start the year.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a duvel snifter.

A - pours a dark brown with a dark khaki colored, half finge head.

S - roast, chocolate and alcohol with a touch cinnamon'ish type smell

T - A nice dry roast malt flavor paired with a firm hop bitterness that gives way to a tpuch of crystal malt sweetness on the back of the tongue. I am struggling to pick up the spices though

M - very nice - a slightly creamy mouthfeel

D - medium-low

Overall, a nice christmas styled brew thats not overloaded with spices.

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

I picked this up while on the East Coast for the holidays. I've been looking forward to this one for quite a bit but I wanted to figure out a good pairing for it, which I think I did. This beer pours out a deep shade of brown, so dark in fact that it might as well be black to the naked eye. Comparison to light reveals those burgandy/brown highlights. Sticky cappacino foam head here that retains very nicely, leaving fat clumps of lace on the glass as I work my way down. The nose on this beer is robust and lovely, chocked full of chocolate, nice mild coffee tones as well. It doesn't step over into imperial stout territory by getting to charred or roasty. I'd call it down right perfect as far as the smell is concerned. Tastes like no other porter I've had, the front is chocolate covered strawberries and coffee beans, nice and chewy with malts through the middle where the "Alpha" part of the name becomes apparent. The chewy milk chocolate stays present the whole time while melding with piney and grapefruity hop flavors. Bitterness levels are middling, but the flavor of the hops really shines through while playing nice with the rich and layered flavors of the malts the whole time. Wow, grab this one if you have the chance. I know I'll be snagging it up whenever I see more of it. I paired this with New York Strip steak and frites and doused just about everything in shallot/butter/bleu cheese sauce, and it rocked my world.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

presentation: 22oz. bomber with a huge oval in the center of the label. red oval with green text says three floyds alpha klaus xmas ale. within the center of the oval is the alpha king with a santa hat. three floyds logo at the bottom of the oval. winter/christmas graphics in the corners of the label. their description of their xmas porter is on the right of the label above a map to the brewery. no abv or freshness date displayed.

appearance: nice dark brown, almost black, with dark brown highlights along the edges in a snifter glass. pours a nice one inch light tan head that has good retention and laces well.

smell: floral and lightly grassy hop aromas and lightly chocolatey. sweet bread and estery. nice balance in aromas from hops to malts.

taste: chocolatey with some coffee flavors. mostly malty, but a balancing hop bitterness underlies and lasts through the finish. molasses and a little tannic. finishes bitter-sweet. very nice sweet chocolate as the brew warms.

mouthfeel: very smooth light-medium body. good carbonation and rolls around smoothly. good for the style, but i wish it were a little thicker. a tad resinous. smooths out even more as the beer warms.

drinkability: this is a nice sipper. goes down super easy, but you don't want to drink this fast. alcohol is there, but not overwhelming. very tasty and super smooth.

overall: this is just an excellent porter. i recommend drinkin' this just a tad below room temperature as this made all the difference in the world. very tasty and excellent mouthfeel.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

2005 Klaus big bottle served in a large crystal snifter.

Nice color. Quite dark with ruby-red undertones. Little to no head achieved on the pour, however this beer exhibits a nice sticky, chunky lacing when swirled.

Chocolate and enticing malt aromas drift up from the glass. Other olfactory components include spicy hops, mild molasses and a hint of alcohol.

This beer measures up to it's malty aromatics with a good solid mouthfeel. It is full without being thick. The taste is enjoyable. A nice and smooth maltiness at the front with plenty of hop character to balance it out. This beer is super smooth while showcasing moderate flavors throughout before reaching a dry finish.

Chocolate, molasses, spicy hops like a mixture of sage and ground thyme and a smokiness fill out the taste.

This beer is incredibly drinkable for the style. It has lots of flavor without being overwhelming and it doesn't sit too heavily on the stomach. While its price-point and ABV deny it session beer status, it certainly drinks like one.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

From a 22 oz. bomber.

A - pours absolutely black, almost as black as a stout. Completely opaque. Head is a light tan reflecting roasted malts, lots of tiny bubbles all clumped up, pours a couple of fingers thick. Simmers down to a nice little pool of foam, hanging around till the end. Nice lacing sticks all over the sides.

S - Fresh hops, smell like they are the American NW variety - cascade, etc. Citrusy smell. After that goes, here comes the roasty, malty, coffee aromas. Lots of bitter coffee smells. Some flowery, estery notes.

T - hops predominate. But a well balanced beer. Hop flavor comes through first - citrusy, grassy. Backed by bitter, roasted malt flavors - tastes like a nice cup o' joe, but with hops. Tastes like - and I mean this as a compliment - a very good, fresh, homebrew with a bunch of fresh hops. Extremely well balanced porter, very tasty. Not a lot of malt sweetness, but rather roastiness, some bitter chocolate flavors. Great American style porter.

M - this is the only thing I didn't love about this beer - seems overcarbonated. Maybe it's just my bottle, but the gas seem too high for the style here, tickles my tongue too much. Hurts the drinkability a little bit too. Other mouthfeel is nice, though - thin to medium bodied.

D - See above. Great, great hop flavor and roasted, malt flavors. Despite the carbonation issue, I would gladly have this beer again and again due to the strong fresh hop/malt balance.

Overall - highly recommended. Bought this beer after a lot of recommendations from friends, and I went in a bit skeptical - a Xmas porter? It's great, find it, buy it, drink it.

3.44/5  rDev -17.1%

Thick head on a dark body. Huge hop presence on the nose. The taste yields mainly some, dark malts, coffee, Mexican chocolate. Very surprising considering the aroma. Overall, it's okay. NYD, pass on this next time.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Opaque black with a thick, coffee colored head. Great roasty aroma with coffee, chocolate, earthy hops, and a little bit of something herbal in the background. Maybe mint? Really complex flavor with a mix of brown sugar, coffee, and chocolate primarily. There's a nice, strong hoppiness without being a citrusy hop bomb. Also noticing a bit of the herbal note in the flavor. Well carbonated and medium bodied. This is a really flavorful and enjoyable beer!

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.