Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States

Style: American Porter

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

Added by zerk on 12-06-2002

Reviews: 749 | Ratings: 2,175
4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours deep dark brown, almost black, with a off-white head that holds a decent cap throughout the glass. Aroma is a great mix of big hops and big roast malt character. Flavor is very much the same, with the hops coming up front, followed closely by a big roast malt flavor, with lots of coffee like notes. Body is medium.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours with a black body, mocha colored head. Great looking porter body that is dense and without any red. Lacing is fantastic on the glass.

S: Roasty, smoke and some milk notes. Very subtle nose that is not overly aromatic.

T/M: Wow, this has a great roasted coffee flavor right up front. Semi-drying flavors on the palate. Also get some good smoke flavors. The roasted flavors do overpower a lot of the other flavors, but I still get some milk/lactic flavors in this one. Great smooth body with some bitter notes and a nice finish.

D: Very drinkable beer that really was nice to sit down to. Easy to kill the bomber yourself and the flavor is very robust.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Had a nice dark brown almost the color of black coffee, a nice mocha colored head that had a slight head on a light pour with some lacing.

S - The smell of this beer is very malty with notes of dark chocolate and coffee are the most prevalent, a Pine like smell brought out the Christmas in this Porter. Hops were also big as is the case with most 3 Floyd's beers.

T - Hops, Pine, and follows the nose it is slightly tangy maybe a grapefruit type of hops. Thoroughly enjoyed this bomber. a

M - A full bodied feel with a pleasant cream taste and good carbonation.

O - I really liked this Porter, not the typical one of its class but a good production none the less.

3.89/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours very dark but not quite opaque, with a thin head that falls rather quickly. Aroma is of chocolate, some malt, and fruity cherry. Flavor starts with a chocolatey roast character, as it warms more complexity starts to show, with a touch of cinnamon and some oily hoppy notes.

Overall, certainly a nice and respectable porter, but not something I would really go out of my way for. I've found other FFF beers more enjoyable.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Dark with a two finger or so tan head. A bit hoppy and dark malt on the nose. I have had this for a few years now just reviewing. It's different than I remember but maybe my palate has changed. A little thin from my recollections but good. Alpha King with dark roasted coffee hints and slight hop bite. Enjoyable

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured thick and creamy into the glass with a nice thick head. It smelled divine as it poured into the glass with the aromas of roasted grains, chococlate and coffee. Rich coffee and chocolate flavours to start, but a wave of hop bitterness slowly took over. It finishes slightly dry and bitter which lingers in the mouth for a while. Very well balanced. Highly drinkable.

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

Served straight up in a standard pint glass. Poured a lovely velvety black with very little head. Smell was excellent, strong note of pine and sweet malts. Taste was superb. The exuberence of hops produced a strong spruce/pine note that made one reminice of christmas. The hop character was well balanced by the malty porter back note. A great beer. Superb mouthfeel and rather easy to dring. It's just a shame this is a seasonal, and in very limited release here in the mid-atlantic.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Much anticipated treat for Christmas day, courtesy of nisjer05.

Cool label, as the case with all Three Floyds beers!!!
Very dark brown color, almost black, but not quite. A decent one inch tan colored head that dissappated quickly. Not much lacing.

Great smell, a combination of coffee, chocolate, with piney floral accents.

Awesome taste, first it hits you with roasted malts, coffee, and chocolate. It ends with a perfect amount of piney hop bitterness. Very well balanced!!!

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth and not too heavy.

Great drinkability, if I had more of this beer, I would have drank more. Not filling and very easy too drink. Overall a great brew from Three Floyds. I must find some more of this treat before the holiday season is over. A must try!!!

3.77/5  rDev -9.2%

I bought this bottle at Lone Hill Liquors in Glendora, CA.
I was excited for this since Stan pulled it out of his personal stash from the back. Came with a $13.99 price tag.
Looked about like every other porter in the world, dark brown, almost black with a big tan head that stayed for a while.
Smell was good, lots of roasted malts and hops
Taste was good but way less than what I expected
Mouthfeel was preety good. Full but smooth and slick
Drinkablity was good. It's a good beer but nothing spectacular.
It's tough to live up to the 3F name and this is the only beer from Munster that has not really thrilled me. I love 3F's use of hops, but it seems a little excessive in the Porter.
Can't wait to try again the Dark Lord, Dreadnaught, Gumballhead, Behomthe Blonde, Robert the Bruce and Alpha King though. I have been fortunate enough to try many of the hard to find (in the West) beers from 3F, and I want more

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Executive Summary: A finely crafted holiday porter. Makes you wish Christmas was year-round.

Appearance: Poured an aggressively frothy deep, opaqueish brown with amber/ruby highlights around the edge. Tan head is ample and resembles, at times, that of a soda poured atop ice cream.

Smell: Roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, and a bit of hoppiness, which is a bit unique among porters. Should be interesting.

Taste: First thing from the initial sip that stands out is the bitterness of the hops. This is not your normal porter! Not so bitter as to detract from the rest of the proceedings, but enough to make it unique and memorable. Nice job there. So the whole sip goes like this: some initial sweetness that carries with it some serious chocolate is eventually replaced by some true hop flavor. Coffee seems to develop next and bridge you to the bitterness provided by the hops. This is a pretty sweet ride.

Mouthfeel: A little heavy on the carbonation for my tastes, but not bad. Light overall body, which is what I look for in a good porter (otherwise I'd be hitting the stouts).

Drinkability: Once you can get past the monumental head, it's a very drinkable porter indeed. Great flavor combinations and a few differentiating characteristics make this one that holds your interest.

4.54/5  rDev +9.4%

A - Poured the last third of a bottle into a wine globe. It formed a half finger tan head. The head faded fairly quickly to a thin trace with a little bit of lacing. Color is similar to a strong dark roast coffee.

S - The smell is this beer's forte. Great citrus hop and sweet malt nose with notes of vanilla and anise. Outstanding.

T - Roasty malts up front with hints of coffee and brown sugar with a very nice piney hop finish. Slightly smokey malt is there in the finish as well. It has great balance. The smell had me anticipating a sweet beer but the sweetness level is just right.

M - Very smooth with medium-heavy body and medium carbonation. Alcohol warmth is slight in the finish.

D - Very nice beer. I wasn't expecting a porter with this much hops but it was very tasty. It kind of blurs the lines between porter and black IPA. It's quite drinkable. A whole bomber in one sitting would be no trouble.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Bought this beauty of a bottle from Lone Hill Liquor, which I've been meaning to visit again. Bottle shows a hobgoblin type creature like the one that threatened Shatner in that Twilight Zone episode.

Pours a beautiful black with a tan head. Very little lacing, but viscous texture to the beer.

Smells of roasted chestnuts, chocolate, molasses, and coffee beans.

Here's where it gets good: chocolate, nuts, espresso, and that great taste of figs or other ripe fruit. A great porter, all in all.

Mouthfeel is lighter than other porters I've had, with a great little tingle of carbonation near the end.

If I didn't have to drive to Glendora for these, I'd drink them all the time.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

Had this on-tap. Dark, dark black color with hints of brown and orange. No head, but a little bit of thin froth floating around on top. Smell was intriguing. I was not expecting this strong of a hop presence in a porter. Chocolate, toffee, caramel, and coffee all made their expected appearances, but the hops caught me off guard. They were fresh and piny. Interesting. After tasting it, I was more than grateful for the strong hop presence. Added a very nice balance to the strong malt backbone. After the first sip, I could not help but immediately look at the drink in admiration. Medium bodied and extremely drinkable. I think I may have found a holiday tradition. A porter for hopheads.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Thanks to krisandajt for this bottle in an in-person trade!

A: Poured pitch black with a mocha colored, frothy head that clung to the walls of the glass.

S: Before I poured this beer I took a quick wiff from the bottle and quickly said, "Oh wow! Hops!". After the initial blast of hops, the dark chocolate malts come through. The malty aroma is one that is very sweet, I'm not picking up much roast, if any at all.

T: Wow, my initial shock of the taste is also how I feel when it comes to my first sip. There is an insane amount of flavoring hops. The hop character consists of grapefruit and grassy flavors. Backing up the big hops is a pleasant, dark chocolate malt presence. Here's the kicker, and why there are dark chocolate malts instead of regular or milk chocolate malts; there is very minimal hop bitterness, just hop flavor and aroma. The bitterness in this beer, IMO, is from the bitter dark chocolate flavoring. There is also a hint of vanilla in there as well. The flavor of this beer is definitely unique, for better or for worse.

M: The mouthfeel is smooth, medium-bodied, and leaves hop resin in the mouth afterwards. I am not used to this amount of hop oiliness in this style of beer.

D: This beer is most definitely a style bender with the massive amount of hops involved. Once I finished the first first half of the bomber, I promptly reached for the rest and made a pour. While this isn't a typical Porter, it is one that I did enjoy, being the hop head that I am.

4.26/5  rDev +2.7%

My brother brought this from chicago when he came home for the holidays. my first FFF beer.

A: Surpringly black, almost no ruby hues in this beer. Very nice inch of creamy brown head. The head on this beer sticks around longer, and leaves more consistent lace behind than almost anything else. superb.

S: maple, coffee, light grains. sweet sugars.

T: I feel like most porters out there dont know what they are: are they a light stout? are they supposed to be sweet? dry? this one knows whats going on. its dark and roasty but dry and lighter than its sweeter cousin. its got more hop bitterness than its close relative, dry stouts. It finishes dry and roasty but with sweet notes dance, exceptional balance.

M: Lighter than you might think, maybe because theres more carbonation than dark stouts of this color.

D: Very drinkable for 7.5%. ALthough, after half of the bottle I begin to notice lingering sweet notes dont dry off the palate like they did earlier. Doesnt take away from the tastes but it does from the drinkability.

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer as when I opened it I didnt think I had an A beer in my hand.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Serving 22OZ Bomber bottle.

Appearance- Pours Black with a half finger tanish head. I see no light shining through at all even when held directly up to a dim light.

Smell- Hints of chocolate, sugar, hops and malt.

Taste- Alot like the nose, I get hints of chocolate, and sugar, hints of coffee as well. The Malt comes through nicely. Ever so slight hit of bitterness as the flavors subside. Bitterness is very mild to me, and I do not like bitter beers.

Mouthfeel- Wow, as this hits your mouth it feels fantastic. Slight carbonation, feels nice and creamy similar to a mocha.

Overall- I think this is a great beer. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it certainly made me wanting more. I will be picking more of this up to set back.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

2008 Alpha Klaus aged a little over a year (about 3 months in my beer fridge, can't speak for the other 12 months prior to the bottle coming into my possession). 22oz. bottle poured into a New Holland High Gravity Series glass (sort of a hybrid between a flute and a tulip, not exactly sure what type of glass it is)

A: deep, dark brown, practically black. Thick yet airy caramel foam builds quickly and lasts through a warm-up period and the first couple of sips. Lacing is spotty at best.

S: balanced aromas of milk chocolate and lightly roasted coffee, with some subtle hints of herbal hops and even a bit of vanilla. As I agitate the glass to pull out more aromas, I get an unpleasant scent of cabbage- though only during the agitation and it fades quickly so I'm not going to dock any point for this.

T: like chocolate covered coffee beans, that's about as best as I can put it. As with the aromas, Alpha Klaus exhibits a nice balance of sweet and roasted malts. As it warms, the roasted malts take over and a pleasant dark coffee bitterness comes through.

M: smooth and creamy with a pleasant hop oil slickness. Carbonation is mild though actually increases a bit at it warms. Body is definitely in the medium range, not too thick but hefty enough for a cold Chicago night.

D: I love a good porter and I love most of what Three Floyd's does so there's no doubt I expect to enjoy this one every year. It's been some time since I've had a fresh one and my next order of business will be to locate a bottle of the 2009. This bottle of Alpha Klaus has held up well to a year on the shelf, but I know I've had better. Smooth, creamy and flavorful without any one aspect taking too much control, Alpha Klaus is well balanced and highly enjoyable.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Christmas in July, O boy!

Bomber baby

This pours an incredibly dark color, it is oil black with a brown cream foam head looks amazing to me. I smell malts and hops in a balanced fashion , more malt though and they're roasted with a semi chocolate smell!

I've never had a porter before, but if this is a prototype or anything like the others this will be the beer for me. It's delicious. The taste of sweet malt rushes to the toungue followed by a rich chocolate taste that ends with a semi hoppy finish, floral hops? just like alpha king.
This sticks around in your mouth for a little bit and gets sticky fast ;heavy body. Tastes like it would go great with food , probaly ice cream too haha. I suggest eating or drinking water with this.

Drinks very well and smoothly for a little above average abv. . I'll be getting alot of these from the pub in december with some pizza.

Yet another bold and balanced one from my friends down the street.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at 3Floyds last night. Had about a 1/2" light tan head, very tight carbonation. Left a good amount lacing. Smells like fruit, spices. Tastes somewhat sweet, roasty, chocolaty and malty. After spending a half hour riding to the bar in 35 degree weather on my motorcycle, this was very warming! After the first sip, you feel much better. The mouthfeel lost a little in my opinion, there was less carbonation than I expected and it felt a little slick going down. Almost oily. I got used to it though, honestly I wouldn't change a thing about this beer. I could easily spend a snowy afternoon drinking these over at 3F!

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours out black as night with a e finger beige head with good retention and some nice lacing as the head goes down Smell is brown sugar, dark fruits , a little toffee, and a little dark malts. Taste is dark malts, the dark sugar, and a little bittering hops at the end that seems to stay in the mouth and not in the throat. Mouthfeel is a little thin for the style and should be a little thicker for the style. Overall this is great beer but could be a little thicker and more complex,

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's not Normal. But it's so damn tasty.

Slight hit of hops on the nose, touch of spices, chocolate, coffee. (Hops up front and noticeable in a Porter?)

Buy one, serve it at Christmas. It's a great holiday beer!

4.15/5  rDev 0%

A – Poured a dark, cloudy brown. Big brown head. Lots of sticky brown residue/lace.

S – Big roasted caramel scent. Spicey and sweet scents.

T – Lots of caramel with a nutty and spice kick. Hops are present but restrained. Dry and bitter at the end.

M – Smooth and creamy. Heavy and cheawy.

D – This is a sipper. Big flavors and more alcohol mean you are only drinking one.

Overall a pretty great beer. Good for the cold weather and very well crafted.

4.36/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a stout glass. Pours an opaque black with two fingers of creamy tan head that dissipates slowly into a cap and leaves decent lacing. Had aromas of roasted malts, dark chocolate, and bold citrus. Taste is very roasty with big citrus in the middle. Some dark chocolate begins the finish, but orange peel lingers for a long while. Drinks really big for the ABV, it's a slow sipper through and through.

Overall: Very hoppy and big for a porter, and I wouldn't expect anything less from FFF. This is one of the best FFF beers, and that puts it pretty high up there in the market place.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Served in an imperial pint glass at the brew pub. Very dark with slight ruby tinge around the edges and a tight tan head that sits on top leaving good lace down the glass. The aroma gives you a ton of pine with hints of cocoa and chocolate and dark roasted malt. The pine hops lead initially but the dark malts take over with the malty sweetness and taste of molasses coming from the mexican sugar. The beer finishes somewhat dry with hops again bringing up the rear. Another great beer for the holidays from 3F's

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Beer pours a very dark black with a small head. Rich and full-bodied looking.

Smell is out of this world. A number of aromas. My first small glass, the piney hop aroma stood out. The 2nd, a very noticeable tangerine/orange. Definite hints of marijuana. Some chocolate and some coconut even.

Taste is cocoa and coffee with a little bit of cola. After the initial flavors, the hops really come to life. It is both very good and a little off, at least as far as other porters I have had. The hops really linger on the palate. Complex and very robust.

This is a really nice treat. A noteworthy beer. Really good stuff. Definitely worth a try if you have not had it.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.