Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Porter

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

Added by zerk on 12-06-2002

Reviews: 758 | Ratings: 2,216
4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

2008 Alpha Klaus aged a little over a year (about 3 months in my beer fridge, can't speak for the other 12 months prior to the bottle coming into my possession). 22oz. bottle poured into a New Holland High Gravity Series glass (sort of a hybrid between a flute and a tulip, not exactly sure what type of glass it is)

A: deep, dark brown, practically black. Thick yet airy caramel foam builds quickly and lasts through a warm-up period and the first couple of sips. Lacing is spotty at best.

S: balanced aromas of milk chocolate and lightly roasted coffee, with some subtle hints of herbal hops and even a bit of vanilla. As I agitate the glass to pull out more aromas, I get an unpleasant scent of cabbage- though only during the agitation and it fades quickly so I'm not going to dock any point for this.

T: like chocolate covered coffee beans, that's about as best as I can put it. As with the aromas, Alpha Klaus exhibits a nice balance of sweet and roasted malts. As it warms, the roasted malts take over and a pleasant dark coffee bitterness comes through.

M: smooth and creamy with a pleasant hop oil slickness. Carbonation is mild though actually increases a bit at it warms. Body is definitely in the medium range, not too thick but hefty enough for a cold Chicago night.

D: I love a good porter and I love most of what Three Floyd's does so there's no doubt I expect to enjoy this one every year. It's been some time since I've had a fresh one and my next order of business will be to locate a bottle of the 2009. This bottle of Alpha Klaus has held up well to a year on the shelf, but I know I've had better. Smooth, creamy and flavorful without any one aspect taking too much control, Alpha Klaus is well balanced and highly enjoyable.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Christmas in July, O boy!

Bomber baby

This pours an incredibly dark color, it is oil black with a brown cream foam head looks amazing to me. I smell malts and hops in a balanced fashion , more malt though and they're roasted with a semi chocolate smell!

I've never had a porter before, but if this is a prototype or anything like the others this will be the beer for me. It's delicious. The taste of sweet malt rushes to the toungue followed by a rich chocolate taste that ends with a semi hoppy finish, floral hops? just like alpha king.
This sticks around in your mouth for a little bit and gets sticky fast ;heavy body. Tastes like it would go great with food , probaly ice cream too haha. I suggest eating or drinking water with this.

Drinks very well and smoothly for a little above average abv. . I'll be getting alot of these from the pub in december with some pizza.

Yet another bold and balanced one from my friends down the street.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at 3Floyds last night. Had about a 1/2" light tan head, very tight carbonation. Left a good amount lacing. Smells like fruit, spices. Tastes somewhat sweet, roasty, chocolaty and malty. After spending a half hour riding to the bar in 35 degree weather on my motorcycle, this was very warming! After the first sip, you feel much better. The mouthfeel lost a little in my opinion, there was less carbonation than I expected and it felt a little slick going down. Almost oily. I got used to it though, honestly I wouldn't change a thing about this beer. I could easily spend a snowy afternoon drinking these over at 3F!

3.12/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured very dark, rich looking with smooth creamy tan head. Started at about two fingers but dissipated within a couple minutes. At first smell, I initially lost all hope that it would be pleasant-my first thought was 'a piece of clothing drenched in cigarette smoke that was left in the cold rain for a day and then wrung into a beer bottle'; however after a bit of warming up I realized it was my fault for not letting it initially warm. Smokiness persisted but turned a bit creamy dark chocalate after ten minutes. Mouth feel was thinner than what I expected and strong coffee hints entrenched every crevice of my mouth. Overall a very interesting porter that, as always, I would have a second time before either loving or not liking. TWENTY MINUTES LATER UPDATE: After it warmed the nice sweet smokey chocolate came to life and I had to give better props to one of my favorite semi-local breweries. Lesson learned: Always let it warm up!

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

Pours out black as night with a e finger beige head with good retention and some nice lacing as the head goes down Smell is brown sugar, dark fruits , a little toffee, and a little dark malts. Taste is dark malts, the dark sugar, and a little bittering hops at the end that seems to stay in the mouth and not in the throat. Mouthfeel is a little thin for the style and should be a little thicker for the style. Overall this is great beer but could be a little thicker and more complex,

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's not Normal. But it's so damn tasty.

Slight hit of hops on the nose, touch of spices, chocolate, coffee. (Hops up front and noticeable in a Porter?)

Buy one, serve it at Christmas. It's a great holiday beer!

4.15/5  rDev 0%

A – Poured a dark, cloudy brown. Big brown head. Lots of sticky brown residue/lace.

S – Big roasted caramel scent. Spicey and sweet scents.

T – Lots of caramel with a nutty and spice kick. Hops are present but restrained. Dry and bitter at the end.

M – Smooth and creamy. Heavy and cheawy.

D – This is a sipper. Big flavors and more alcohol mean you are only drinking one.

Overall a pretty great beer. Good for the cold weather and very well crafted.

4.36/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a stout glass. Pours an opaque black with two fingers of creamy tan head that dissipates slowly into a cap and leaves decent lacing. Had aromas of roasted malts, dark chocolate, and bold citrus. Taste is very roasty with big citrus in the middle. Some dark chocolate begins the finish, but orange peel lingers for a long while. Drinks really big for the ABV, it's a slow sipper through and through.

Overall: Very hoppy and big for a porter, and I wouldn't expect anything less from FFF. This is one of the best FFF beers, and that puts it pretty high up there in the market place.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Served in an imperial pint glass at the brew pub. Very dark with slight ruby tinge around the edges and a tight tan head that sits on top leaving good lace down the glass. The aroma gives you a ton of pine with hints of cocoa and chocolate and dark roasted malt. The pine hops lead initially but the dark malts take over with the malty sweetness and taste of molasses coming from the mexican sugar. The beer finishes somewhat dry with hops again bringing up the rear. Another great beer for the holidays from 3F's

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Beer pours a very dark black with a small head. Rich and full-bodied looking.

Smell is out of this world. A number of aromas. My first small glass, the piney hop aroma stood out. The 2nd, a very noticeable tangerine/orange. Definite hints of marijuana. Some chocolate and some coconut even.

Taste is cocoa and coffee with a little bit of cola. After the initial flavors, the hops really come to life. It is both very good and a little off, at least as far as other porters I have had. The hops really linger on the palate. Complex and very robust.

This is a really nice treat. A noteworthy beer. Really good stuff. Definitely worth a try if you have not had it.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured black with some reddish hints peeking through. Noticed this brew was not very thick and syrupy but a tad watery. Huge billowing white head that hung out for the duration of session. Bubbles were very small and made for an almost whip cream texture head.

The smell was piney and roasty. There were some hints of cinnamon and spice but mostly a sweet malty scent.

The taste was incredible. Very earthy and chocolaty with hints of hops and sweet sugars and lactose. Exactly what I'm looking for in a high caliber porter.

I was a bit let down when it came to the mouthfeel. Not a lot of body or complexity. Very watery and a little too oily. Despite this setback, this beer was a Huge Winner with me. Will pick up more next time I make a trip to the east coast.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a deep cola color with a thin white head. Head leaves a small amount of lacing but nothing too sticky.Smells slighlt of spice and chocolate. The hops show up but are masked by the roasted malt aroma. Tastes wonderful! Just the right balance of hops and "Christmas beer" taste but what do you expect from FFF? Mouthfeel is normal for a porter. Doesn't hang around too long after the swallow. Fairly drinkable. Good to share with a friend as the whole bomber may be a little rich.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottle. Christmas came a little early for my this weekend. Santa was very good to me indeed. Wrapped up inside this gift was a jet black body with a tight tan head. Notes of chocolate, dark sugars, roasted malts and winter spices. Smooth and creamy. I'm glad the holidays are right around the corner so I can pick up another one of these.

3.67/5  rDev -11.6%

Bomber poured into Duvel tulip.

AK pours the darkest brown color, if not all-out black. Generous amount of head is also present: 1.5 inches, dark cream colored. Nice aroma on this one: roasty malts dominate. Taste offers more of the roasty malts, with a bit of earthy hops on the back end. Mouthfeel is on the thin side of medium.

Glad that I tried it, but I will stick more to RIS offerings, especially for the price.

3.81/5  rDev -8.2%

Served in a tulip.

APPEARANCE

The beer is very dark and it looks thick, much like a stout. The head was huge, light brown, and has tiny bubbles which makes it look like a big fluffy pillow. Lacing was pretty high, and this beer looks gorgeous!

SMELL

Tons of chocolate in this guy. It's a nice sweet and milky chocolate smell, and is followed by slight coffee smell. There is a nice citrus hop smell that's to be expected with a Three Floyds beer. Very nice roasted malt notes. It smells wonderful!

TASTE

Chocolate is the number one flavor in this beer. It starts off as a nice milky taste, then finishes as a bitter dark chocolate. There's some nice coffee notes as well as some lovely citrus hops. I don't taste any Mexican sugar, but I'm assuming that it fermented out. This is a really nice porter!

MOUTHFEEL

This beer is very drinkable. It starts off with a nice medium body, but finishes dry and bitter. It's not as thick as it looks, but the small bubbles make it slightly creamy.

OVERALL

Fantastic porter! It's. It's a nice balance between bitter and sweetness, and it would work well as an after dinner beer. The citrus hops are nice, and they don't overpower at all. Very nice "festive cousin" to Alpha King!

Cheers.

Being a fan of Alpha King, I was looking forward to trying this beer. I poured this out of a bomber into a goblet glass and it was bitter dark brown with quite a head - two-and-half to three fingers worth, slowly gurgling down to a thin film on top.

The smell was roasty - definitely hoppy with some coffee and roasted flavors. The hops added a new dimension to this porter, but felt overpowering. I wonder if it needs mellowing out, or if it's meant to be had fresh. It's definitely sweet and bitter to dry. I'd drink it again, but during the season. It's a seasonal beer for sure, as it's name implies.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Pertinent Preliminary Comments: Many thanks to Chazwicke for sending this along.

A hallowed brew that I’ve had once before. Three Floyds is one of those breweries that, somehow, someway, can’t manage to make a bad or even mediocre beer. Nothing like a Christmas porter at the end of April, but what the heck…

APPEARANCE: Jet-frickin’ black. If I squint, I can see ruby mahogany highlights when held to the light. Serious tan head, fantastic lacing.

AROMA: WHOA. Malt, coffee, chocolate, molasses, dark fruit, hops, this baby has it all.

FLAVOR: Wow… reading the tasting notes from the BJCP, I could almost copy it straight over. Hoppy, sure, but a good sweet-but-roasted black malt vibe. Good dry finish. Smooth all the same. Espresso and chocolate are strong here. Never knowingly had a beer that used Mexican sugar, but I think I can taste it as well in the complex sweetness. Maybe not. It’s a great blend either way. There’s still head at the bottom of the pint! Now THAT’S staying power.

MOUTHFEEL: Very smooth. Good proper weight; somewhat high carbonation.

DRINKABILITY: At 7.5% ABV, it’s not quite a session beer, but it’s not supposed to be. This is a Winter Warmer of a porter, and on a chilly night in Indiana, this gets my first choice.

OVERALL COMMENTS: This beer is stellar in every way – it’s got it all. Not a weak link anywhere to be had. Nothing like Three Floyds, man – even on a warm Sunday afternoon, this beer hits the spot. Now we just have to get them to distribute to Colorado.

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bottle of this when I was recently in Cleveland. More than excited to see it and try it.

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip.

Pours jet black with a small, but lasting off-white head. Other reviews really made it seem like there was tons of carbonation, but mine was a perfect amount. Maybe from the age.

Beautiful nose to it. Coffee, chocolate and a surprising amount of hops.

First taste surprised me, unlike most porters where it's all roast, this one was a solid hop bitterness. Taste like Northern Brewer. Excellent. Hops was of course followed by a wonderful chocolate and roasted malt flavors. Hops rule this one though. Probably the most noticeable hop presence I've had in a porter/stout.

Mouth feel was thick and enjoyable. Carbonation was perfect and really brought out the aroma.

Final verdict, a really good beer. Not like any porter I've had. Maybe not something I'd crave every day, but for the cold night I was drinking it on while homebrewing, this was perfect. I paid $9 for this bottle though which I think is entirely to much. I do dislike that about 3 Floyds. I can't blame them, with the demand they have it's more than understandable. Just hard to know I could have bought 2 Old Viscosity's for the price of this, which is a much better beer.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

A- Deep brown to black in color the beer poured a 1/2" brown head with small tight bubbles that left some nice lacing.

S- Sweet malt, piney hops, campfire smoke and chocolate ice cream that was all very balanced.

T&M- Medium body and light on its feet with very good concentration of flavor in the midpalate. The flavors from the nose continue along with some roasted expresso.

D- This is not a thick, heavy porter rather one of wonderful balance and lightness though full of flavor. This really is easy to drink and should hold well for years to come.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

2010 Vintage 22oz bottle poured into a 12oz snifter.

A- Black with a mocha head that disappears, turn away for a second and it is gone. Ever so slight lacing of head.

S- Strong molasses with a slight hint of citrus hops. Hints of espresso also come through the longer it sits.

T- Warms me up on a snowy evening in February. Plenty of roasted malt at the front gives way to a pleasant citrus taste. Also a little bitter chocolate comes through.

M- little to no carbonation. A nice body that is pleasant on he tongue.

D- I look forward to next years release. It is a enjoyable porter with a nice hop. I gladly pick one up every time I see it on the shelf.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

2007 Edition, decided to kick off the holiday week of beer with a FFF Alpha Klaus. I was a little worried that this one sat too long but once I popped the top and the aroma of coffee and chocolate filled the air. Poured black with a beast of a head that overflowed my Corsendonk snifter. Aromas are coffee, roasted malts, and an underlying sweetness. Flavor is bitter chocolate up front highly carbonated on the palate and believe it or not hops are still present. Finish is all roast and a slight burn from the alcohol but no real alcohol flavor. A top notch porter. FFF does it again.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Bomber I picked up last year...last one left.

A - On the pour this one easily hit a three finger head. After it settled down, I topped it off and really liked the light brown head. The carbonation is very fine - looks like latte foam on top of a beer that is dark as night. Not a lot of lacing.

S - I get some milk chocolate, ligher roast coffee, and dark fruits in the nose. There's a very mild floral hoppiness to it, but quite understated. The slighest hit of spice - cardamom, ginger, cinnamon. A hint of alcohol as well. The nose is nicely nuanced.

T - Yum. This is great. Faint chocolate and dark fruits to start, complemented by some lightly roasted malt notes. The spiciness come mid-palate, with sticky caramel and toffee. The finish transitions to slightly bitter, smokey, nutty, and warming with very subtle hints of alcohol.

M - Super smooth. Coats the entire palate and the moderate carbonation helps it flow right through from start to finish. Really nice mouthfeel for the style.

D - This was quite good - excellent actually. Among the best in a style that I really enjoy. Pretty easy drinking considering the ABV.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

And here we go, okay: Tastes are really neat smoked malt, light and dark chocolates, brown sugar -- dark/darker (than normal), astringent and grassy hops, light booze, hiding caramel, ginger, more hops, coffee malt, medium roast beans, rubber, cream and fudge.

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

22 oz bottle. Perfect thick tan head atop a beautiful brown body. Nice even carbonation. Hoppy chocolate aroma. Those hops are fresh right now for sure. Flavor is rich with chocolate. Nice hop flavor with a light bitterness. Hop flavor and roasty maltiness lingers. Thick and chewy mouth feel. Extremely drinkable and satisfying. That thick head really has staying power, and forms a nice lacing on the glass. the balance in the flavors is perfect in this one. A must have while fresh.

This is Three Floyds winter offering for the holiday season. This beer pours with a dark almost opaque viscosity. Hints of chocolate and roasted flavors. A subtle hop flavor that fits to the porter style. Very drinkable beer for the winter season. I was also lucky enough to try this beer at the brewery

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.