Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Porter

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

Added by zerk on 12-06-2002

Reviews: 749 | Ratings: 2,171
4.54/5  rDev +9.4%

A - Poured the last third of a bottle into a wine globe. It formed a half finger tan head. The head faded fairly quickly to a thin trace with a little bit of lacing. Color is similar to a strong dark roast coffee.

S - The smell is this beer's forte. Great citrus hop and sweet malt nose with notes of vanilla and anise. Outstanding.

T - Roasty malts up front with hints of coffee and brown sugar with a very nice piney hop finish. Slightly smokey malt is there in the finish as well. It has great balance. The smell had me anticipating a sweet beer but the sweetness level is just right.

M - Very smooth with medium-heavy body and medium carbonation. Alcohol warmth is slight in the finish.

D - Very nice beer. I wasn't expecting a porter with this much hops but it was very tasty. It kind of blurs the lines between porter and black IPA. It's quite drinkable. A whole bomber in one sitting would be no trouble.

4.54/5  rDev +9.4%

On tap at the FFF Brewpub in November 2009.

Pours a very, very dark brown with a moderately-brown head. Hops are at the forefront of this one, with a bit of dark chocolate, coffee, and roast coming through in the background. The taste is quite similar, with an amazing amount of piney hops coming through alongside a little bit of citrus. Chocolate and coffee also make an appearance. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and well-carbonated. Overall, a little intense and heavy for extended drinking, but definitely an absolutely delicious beer.

4.54/5  rDev +9.4%

Bottle undated, presumably 2004 vintage Pours syrupy black with virtually zero head retention. Nose is super pine cone hops overpowering virtually all other aromas. Really, this one smells like nothing less than a freshly squeezed Xmas tree. And to my senses that’s a good thing. The body has a nice heavy gravity to it, sliding down the throat langorously like carbonated molasses... only a slight exagerration, but the enthusiasm brought about by this beer encouraging a bit of truth stretching. The hops aren’t nearly as dominant on the tongue as the aroma, but still marginalize the other tastes. The actual taste of the hops used is quite excellent, however. A fine, if nearly exquisite, example of what I look for in a Christmas ale. High marks all around

4.54/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours deep dark brown, not much of a head, and a lot of bubbles from the carbonation visible.

When I poured the second half of the bottle, it looked much nicer... bigger head, and less bubbles.

Aromas are excellent. Hoppy pine and sweet chocolate noted on the nose. Very nice.

Flavors are quite nice. Tastes of chocolate on the front, a touch of mocha hoppy bitterness, and then a nice creamy yet crisp finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit light on the front, but makes up for it with the nice finish.

What a well done porter. My favorite offering so far from Three Floyds. This is a very tasty and drinkable brew.

Thanks a lot sman262 for sending this my way.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark, smooth full bodied pour with reddish purple tinges around the edges. A huge tan head comes in and holds until I'm done. Ridiculous amounts of sticky lacing. I love it! Smells like I walked into a coffee shop and then put a hop plant up my nose. It works well! Very nice mixture of the two along with some sweet chocolate on top. Taste has a concentrated espresso shot, not really roasted at all, but still intense. Dark, lucious chocolates dominate the malts. A little charcoal in there underneath. Full green hop plants come in the finish. There's a creaminess in there as well but I really get it at the end. This beer went down way, way too smooth. Too good. It's a shame we can't get it here in Michigan and the price also makes it a shame but its still worth it for a treat every once in awhile.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

WOW. I certainly didn't expect this to have such a strong hops aroma, but it is from 3F's. Great roasted aroma really mixes well with th ehops. Long lasting, rocky head. I haven't had many porters, but this beer is outstanding. I have a couple more I thought I'd save till next Christmas, but I'll drink them soon so I can enjoy the hoppiness.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber, purchased around March 14, so it's been on the shelves for a while, but it was in a dark area behind other bottles and it looks like it's been taken care of well.

Pours obsidian black and totally opaque with a monstrous tan head. The bubbles are the largest I've ever seen, and the lacing is awe-inspiring. The foam sprays up the side of my pint nearly to the rim, and holds on in persistent patches, Jackson Pollock-style.

I don't even give a shit what it tastes like anymore, just let me stare at it for a while.

Three Floyds has the coolest bottle art ever.

The nose is a seductive blend of citric hops, dark roasted malt, and coffee. This is one of the most unique and best-smelling beers I've encountered-- it's like Storm King, but with much more balance and complexity.

Opens with bitter, mouth-puckering hoppiness that hangs around until the finish. The malt backbone appears mid-palate, but fades away fast into a strong aftertaste of coffee. After a few sips, the hops hang around much longer, and I almost have to take a break from the beer for the coffee flavor to come back to the forefront. It's a hop-bomb porter, and it kicks ass-- balance, complexity, and unapologetic hopping in one sexy bottle.

The mouthfeel is chewy and fluffy at the same time, and creamy as hell at the back of the palate. Again, unusual, and impressive.

After about a quarter-pint, the warming effect of the alcohol becomes slightly noticeable, but I couldn't taste it in the beer if I tried-- it is"only" 7.50%ABV after all. Drinkability is out of control-- I could drink this beer non-stop until my liver resigns.

This is an awesome, awesome beer. This beer could convert anyone to a hophead, but the beautiful thing is that it doesn't have to-- the malt backbone is more than strong enough to withstand a year of cellaring (I think.)

22 oz bomber/ 3 Floyds Imperial Pint glass

Dark chocolate color with ruby highlights. Huge rocky head falls slowly to a foamy cap.

Smells like a cirus bowl. Lemon, orange and grapefruit hops are fresh as can be with some floral and corriander. Chocolate malt and sugar cookie. Some slight espresso roast.

Taste starts with bold citrus hops much like the nose. Hops fade into a great roast with sweet chocolate and slight coffee and a roasty toasty malt finish but the hops hold their own and blend nicely.

Mouthfeel is moderate to full. Slightly chewy. Medium carbonation.

This is better than I remember from last year and I loved it. 3 Floyds has some kind of secret weapon that utilizes hops to perfection.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Following its emancipation from a 22oz bomber, this porter sits heavy in my snifter and kicks up a frothy light brown head. Opaque onyx is the color, ambrosial is the aroma. A thick roasted chocolately coffee smell coexists simultaneously with citrous and piney hops. An interesting combination that is not used enough, in my opinion. Alcohol is present in the nose as well. Flavor begins with large malts and roasted grain. Bitter chocolate blends with coffee in a big dark way, reminiscent of a stout. A crescendo of hops begins in the middle, beginning subtly and finishing the flavor with bitter, drying citrous. Roasted grain continues in the finish, but is dominated by an onslaught of prickly hops. Mouthfeel is thick (for the style) and very full, with some hop bite and medium-low carbonation. An intense, complex, enjoyable and very drinkable porter. Why do Three Floyds kick so much ass? I don't know, but I'll stay satisfied as long as I'm supplied with these unique and well-hopped takes on familiar styles.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

Received this one from BeerBeing in the Birthday BIF. Just in time for the chilly weather...

Served from a 22oz. bomber in a Duvel tulip at cellar temperature.

A - Pours a dark chocolate brown with mahogany highlights that can barely be seen through this beer's dense body. The head rises quickly -- cocoa brown and chunky -- immediately creeping up the sides of the glass. Lacing is spotty, but what this beer does have is some big legs. Nice.

S - Big notes of brown sugar and molasses that lounge atop a divan of cushiony and cold floral hops. Piney notes can also be found mingling with dark espresso tones and (cold) hot cocoa-mocha, like a General Foods International coffee.

T - Given the big presence of hops in the hose, the taste comes off as superbly balanced. Starting with molasses brown sugar cookies, the sweetness subsides as a dark baking chocolate bitterness steps in. Also noted are coffee, pralines, and figs. The alcohol is nicely concealed, although you know it's hiding there somewhere. The aftertaste is only moderately bitter, and the drying is just enough to keep you in suspense for the next sip.

M - As with most FFF products, the mouthfeel on this baby is superb. Enough carbonation to keep it tingly, but never rising above a fine froth in the mouth, leading to a creamy, chewy swallow that doesn't leave your belly feeling full of CO2.

D - This is an excellent staple for any fan of "colder weather beers" with some nice backbone. At 7.5%, it's also feasible to knock off a bomber on your own without getting whacked. An excellently hoppy take on a traditionally mildly hopped style.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

Picked this up at dark lord day way back in April. Can't believe it's taken me this long to finally crack one open... what was I waiting for? Maybe it was just the weather.

Appearance- typical near black color with just under a finger of head. Not much carbonation, but that's ok for the style. Consequently, not much lacing to speak ok.

Smell- Lots of roasted malts, but I'd say the overall theme is heath bars. Reminds me of ben and jerry's heath bar crunch ice cream (do they still make that?). Lots of coffee too.

Taste and Mouthfeel- upon the first sip of this brew it was evident that this was one of the best if not the best porter I've had. very, very tastey and sessionable even at 7.5%. A bit of roastiness and nuttiness, but not too much. Hops are subdued and malt is in the forefront, but the balance between roasted bitterness and hop bitterness is done extremely well. The mouthfeel is somewhat silky, and that combined with a heath bar-like taste again reminds me of Ben and Jerry's heath bar crunch.

Drinkability- Very much a sessionable beer if you're into porters.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

Got this as my first bomber of Alpha Klaus ever and one that I've been waiting to finally drink. Want to thank my girlfriend for the opportunity of trying this one since it was a christmas gift from her.

A- looks like the typical porter with a dark, chocolate brown head that is completely opaque and is rather clear, not foggy. Actually has a bit of a sheen to it. A nice small head that stays throughout and floats barely on the top of the bottle; kinda like a bit of foam on the top of a coffee. The head is actually made up of a bunch of small bubbles that sit right on top. I really like the color of this one. Nice and thick head that poured in my friend's pint glass since we split the bomber. looks like thick cream sitting on top of dark coffee

S- wow well people did not lie when they said there is hops coming off of this one. Especially kind of intense hops for a porter where hops are usually not represented. There is also a bit of hints of spices and chocolate that comes up with the hops Also there is a smell of a drak chocolate.

T - the main taste of this one that first hits me is hops that just attack the tongue. This is the typical FFF citrus hops that seem to characterize their brew. Odd to see such a hop presence in a porter. Then after the hops fades away it fades away into your more typical porter aspects. There is a nice chocolate presence and actually a bit of a grainy sugar sweet presence that goes to offset the dark chocolate presence. After awhile the hops actually seem to come back to me as well and I think they may actually become a bit stronger and blend in with the chocolate aspect of the beer. There is also a nice milky aspect to the beer, makes it rather creamy and actually imparts that cream taste in the mouth. Afterwards there is a light hops presence that sticks around in the mouth.

MF - Rather creamy and smooth on the mouth without only a light amount of carbonation that seems to come in later. I love the milky aspect of the beer that goes with the taste of the beer alot. Afterwards, the light hops presence leaves a slight tingly feeling in the mouth and makes you wnat to have another drink.

D - overall a great porter from FFF and an interesting interpretation of the style that makes me want to keep having a sip after a sip to experience all of the interesting taste within this one. there are just so many different flavors in the porter that I keep wanting to discover. I love how this is like a mix of a hop bomb and a sweet porter too; gotta love the FFF boldness. Also, the creamy milky aspect makes it really easy to sip down and enjoy. I will pick this up every holiday season and enjoy it whenever it comes out. Also I have to say this is much better than the barrel aged Klaus since you can actually taste the hop profile that makes this such an interesting brew.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

a: pours a jet black color with about a inch and half worth of tan head that has decent retention time leaves an amazing amount of lace, in short what i look for in a good beer very very inviting
s: the roasted malts really come out in the aroma nice hop bitterness as well very nice
t: very very good, roasted malt flavor, hop presence very nice
m: full bodied beer very nice not overly carbonated

overall this beer is amazing one of the best ones ive had truly a great beer

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

SCORE!!! I found this marked down to $5 (from $9) because it is now out of season. "Silly fools," I say. "This is one of my top 3 porters and it should still be good even this late in the year."

Pours almost black into a Duvel tulip with a one-finger brown head that eventually settles into a milky froth that coats the surface.

Inhaling deeply through the nose reveals a rich, sweet aroma of malty sativa buds, foreshadowing the hoppy goodness I am about to enjoy.

Starts out tasting like a thick IPA, then quickly morphs into a slightly sweet malt and finishes with a Sumatra coffee aftertaste that lingers on.

Mouthfeel is of moderate thickness with a touch of creamy froth.

This is a very drinkable porter, despite its 7.5% ABV content. They should really make this year-round. Instead, I will continue to enjoy it during my December rituals during the Sunday afternoon football game - and occasionally score the occasional discounted bottle in late spring.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Broke out the snifter from the new glass set my husband bought me!

Look: DARK. Like, pitch black. Nice mocha colored head.

Smell: Like I'm about to drink a FFF dark beer. Nothing shocking or new.

Taste: Coffee, smoke, hops, citrus (lemon?), then coffee again.

Feel: SPOT ON. Not too thick like an oatmeal stout, no watery-ness.

Overall: I'm about to go clean out my local super market's supply. That's right- I figured out that the high dollar specialty grocer down the road from my house has $10 bombers of all types, and $2 singles of stuff I still haven't heard o!

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

2007 fresh bomber. Pours into my glass a deep black with dark brown hues on the edges. An inch of creamy tan head sits on top and lingers. Aromas begin with a big bold sweet cocoa and lots of rich brewed coffee as well. Creamy with a piney hop aroma in there as well. Light caramel with lots of roastiness overall. A touch of vanilla. Very enticing aroma, seems to have less hop presence than previous years.

First sip brings a roasted dark malt that's flowing with rich chocolate and coffee flavors right off the bat. Hints of caramel and a touch of vanilla. It moves into slightly floral, piney hops that bring along a nice touch of bitterness. Finishes with a wonderful chocolate aftertaste. Yum.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, chewy, smooth and creamy. Spot on for a porter, it never gets too heavy. Quite a drinkable brew and one I always look forward to imbibing in large quantities around this time of year. Glad to see it on the shelves again. I give this one my approval yet again...go get a few bombers!!

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

served at FFF brewpub before Christmas. This is a first, after recently trying more porters and was pleasantly surprised by the balance of traditional porter characteristics with hops, I didn't expect to enjoy as much as I did. Great pour with solid dark brown head and lacing. Nice hop aroma with dark malt, chocolate aroma.

Really great beer, enjoyed two and wish they had some bombers to go.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearence: Pours a wonderful dark brown with tinges of red shinig through. The head is chocolate and creamy.

Smell: The nose is an incredibly powerful but wonderful cocoa smell. The coffee notes are also wonderful.

Taste and Mouthfeel: This is a very solid, very good tasting porter. None of the flavors are over the top or uncalled for. The all blend to creat something wonderfully balanced and wonderfully tasty. The mouthfeel is creamy and thick.

Drinkability and Overall: I've been spoiling myself with these good porters lately. This is another classic. Three Floyds have again outdone themselves with this rich, thoughtful and wonderfully refreshing piece of brewing art. Thanks to PatYoda for the bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

I'm pouring this into an Imperial pint glass (man, I need some new glassware...) at around 50 degrees. Its darker than any non-Imperial porter I've ever had and as dark or darker than most non-Imperial stouts. The only way I can get any light to come through is to hold the bottom of the glass up to a very bright light. It produced a resilient mocha colored head that left thick lacing as it slowly faded.

I could actually smell this stuff as soon as I cracked the bottle. The aroma is an amazing blend of rich coffee and chocolate malts. A deeper search reveals hints of vanilla, caramel, and licorice. What has me most excited at this point is the coffee smell. If this brew has similar coffee notes to Hell's Black Inteligencer, I'm in for a real treat. Oddly, after my first couple drinks, the hop aroma really made itself present. (Note to self: You just learned something.) The only thing that stopped me from giving it a 5 in this catagory was when I asked myself, "Could it be better?" Yes. Two words. Barrel aged.

Its go-time. No suprise here, coffee and roasted chocolate malts are running the show. They're doing a damn fine job at it, too. All the up-front roasted notes slowly give way to just the right amount of hop bitterness and then a suprise, slightly sweet ending. Subsequent tastes bring even more coffee, roasted malts, and hops. This is a big-boy porter... One of the best I've ever had. Again, though, the only way it could be better... Barrel aged.

Mouthfeel was good. There is enough carbonation to add a bit of sizzle. Viscosity is just right. Its neither syrupy nor watery. A little more towards the syrup side might make it better, but I'm probably splitting hairs here.

Drinkabitly is pretty amazing, really. I don't remember the last time I had a beer this dark, with this much flavor, that felt this drinkable. I could drink this all evening and then some.

Overall, this is a kick-ass porter. If you get a chance, try it.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured black with some reddish hints peeking through. Noticed this brew was not very thick and syrupy but a tad watery. Huge billowing white head that hung out for the duration of session. Bubbles were very small and made for an almost whip cream texture head.

The smell was piney and roasty. There were some hints of cinnamon and spice but mostly a sweet malty scent.

The taste was incredible. Very earthy and chocolaty with hints of hops and sweet sugars and lactose. Exactly what I'm looking for in a high caliber porter.

I was a bit let down when it came to the mouthfeel. Not a lot of body or complexity. Very watery and a little too oily. Despite this setback, this beer was a Huge Winner with me. Will pick up more next time I make a trip to the east coast.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance is rich black, with caramel hints. Huge tan head and nice lacing.

Nose is lots of fresh hops, cola, sweet malt, and caramelized sugar.

Taste is extremely well-balanced. Hops are mild and blend seamlessly. The malt is roasted and semi-caramelized. There is also a nice milk chocolate note.

Mouthfeel is very silky. Carbonation is mild, as are the hops. The beer has a nice roasted sensation throughout. Clean finish.

Overall, a decadent, creamy porter with excellent drinkability and a unique hop character.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

This was my first Three Floyds purchase. Naturally, I had heard a lot of the brewery, so when I came across a case of this at the Beer Yard, I couldn't pass it up. At any rate...pours a beautiful dark opaque brown with rusty highlights around the edges. Super soft, light brown head that has a wonderful thickness to it. Looks like something I'd want to put on top of some chocolate cake. Smells immediately like I'm in a backwoods hop patch. And, unfortunately, I hate to be cliche, but it does smell like Christmas. Super, smooth creamy mouthfeel transports a huge delivery of roasty, chocolatey, caramel malt into the palate. Not too far behind is the surprising hop presence. Very hoppy for a porter. I even has a bit of that stringent porter character, which I'm not always a fan of, but its pulled off with perfection here. I'm assuming its the other flavors that balancecd it. The beer finishes with a nice dry touch and a lingering aftertaste of dry, dark cocoa powder. Man, this stuff is just amazing, its unlike any other porter I've had.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks to ClockworkOrange for allowing me the chance to try this illusive beast of a porter.

A: Pours a black as night color with a caramel colored one finger head. Nice retention on the sides of the glass. Nice sticky lacing.
S: Wow, I just laughed after I took my first whiff. Burnt and roasted coffee notes with a good level of chocolate and black malt. A nice caramel aroma rounds everything out and gives it a smoothness. Twangy hop presence is also noticeable.
T/M: Robust, smooth...nice. Burnt coffee and robust malt notes hit the palate first. Sweet caramel and toffee are subtle and are blended with a sticky chocolate flavor. Hops are there--nice to see a nice hoppyness in the flavor. Bitterness in the finish is present with a burnt chocolate or roasted coffee aftertaste. Smooth and coating with a milky characteristic to it. Nice balance on this one.
D: Another great one from 3F. Amazing brews they have and this isn't any different. Smooth and silky

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

A- Pours black with a mocha head.

S- Chocolate, roasted malts. Coffee?

T- Rich chocolaty goodness with pronounced "Xmas" (hah) hop spice aftertaste. Pine. One-of-a-kind taste...and if not, please let me know!

M- Medium mouthfeel. Creamy, smooth.

D/O- The drinkability of this is ridiculously high. Perhaps the best porter I've ever had. Will be a holiday staple for years to come for me. Three Floyds does it again.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Deep chestnut in color with garnet highlights around the edges. A thick, dense, tan head slowly settles to about a 3/4 inch layer leaving a thick, clingy lace.
The aroma is a rich mix of bitter chocolate and sprucy hops with a hint of coffee. Toasty and sweet, a hint of honey maybe.
The taste is initially surprisingly smooth. The hoppy bitterness you're expecting from the aroma waits in the lurch and jumps out after you swallow, coating your mouth in a sheet of bitter bliss.
Medium-full body, nicely carbonated and about as drinkable as they come for my tastes. It just satisfies all the senses without numbing your mind "too" much.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.