Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter
4.12/5
Exceptional
Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Porter

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

Added by zerk on 12-06-2002

Ratings: 2,265 |  Reviews: 767

3.01/5  rDev -26.9%

A - a good bit of orange around the edges. Creamy off-white head.

S - roasted malts with minor dark chocolate in the mix. Hops are also present.

T - certain hop flavor throughout. Mild roasted malts, chocolate and nearly caramel.

M - mild coating, but thin. Tiny bit of tingle on sides of tongue.

D - maybe one, but most likely not.

3.01/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

3.03/5  rDev -26.5%

Reviewed on 8/21/09. Bottle. Pours black with a thick light tan head. Aroma of sweet roasted malt, very sweet. Flavor of sweet malt, chocolate malt, some lactose notes. Pretty bland and boring really; I'm quite underwhelmed. Too sweet and not complex at all. Meh.

3.06/5  rDev -25.7%

A: Pours pretty dark, almost black, light brown head that hung around for a couple of minutes before leaving a little lacing on the glass.

S: A little bit of malt and carmelized sugar, but mostly just overpowering citrus... grapefruit for sure. Amarillo hops?

T: Dark malts and coffee but mostly citrus. Too much for me, I really don't care for it because it overpowers the subtlety of the malts.

M: I do like the mouthfeel, it's nice and creamy and some good carbonation.

D: Pretty low on the drinkability. I had most of the bomber but just couldn't finish it. It would be interesting to have this beer with a slightly more normal hop schedule to it.

Overall, it's a little disappointing for me, I always stop by the brewery on my way to Michigan and I've had just about everything they offer. This is the first by them I didn't really dig.

3.06/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from a 22 oz bottle

Poured a very dark brown, had minimal lacing and not alot of carbonation.

Smell was a very meaty, savory smell. Hard to explain but it was not at all sweet smelling.

Taste was more along the lines of a baltic porter. It had a savory meaty flavor, and almost a grape skin/grape koolaid flavor i tend to find in all baltic porters i try, and it is a flavor i cant seem to get past to say i like.

It was medium bodied and lacked adequate carbonation for me.

If you like baltic porters you will probably like this one, but i cannot drink them.

3.11/5  rDev -24.5%

Dark brown, almost black, creamy coffee-hued topper is gone within minutes.

Mainly chocolate. Light traces of caramel and coffee.

Sweet up front, and all the flavor that the aroma had promised me, are here. I like the strong hop flavor, and there's a little roasted bitterness here too. I'd like to know if there's any brown malt in here, just for the sake of knowing. Bit of a maple syrupy flavor as the beer warms up.

On the thin side body-wise. Medium carbonation. Smooth.

I like it. Pretty good beer, I would probably get a couple more, and cellar them, if I see them anywhere. I would drink one every now and again, but nothing too regular. Just to see how they cellar. Cheers!

3.11/5  rDev -24.5%

(From Notes)
22oz bomber, split among two people.

Smell, very sweet coffee, semi-tart smell also present.

Taste, this one has a very interesting flavor, even for 3F. That semi-tart flavor hits a big chord, followed by a very, very strong fruity flavor, I was puzzled deeply drinking this beer. The usual coffee and chocolate flavors that you would find in most examples of the style must have gotten lost on their way to the brew kettle.

Overall, a very interesting beer to say the least. If you gave this beer to someone without telling them what it was, its a 10-1 shot they would say its a porter. I dug this beer only for it being unique, I wouldn't buy it again anytime soon and could never finish a whole bomber on my own.

3.12/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured very dark, rich looking with smooth creamy tan head. Started at about two fingers but dissipated within a couple minutes. At first smell, I initially lost all hope that it would be pleasant-my first thought was 'a piece of clothing drenched in cigarette smoke that was left in the cold rain for a day and then wrung into a beer bottle'; however after a bit of warming up I realized it was my fault for not letting it initially warm. Smokiness persisted but turned a bit creamy dark chocalate after ten minutes. Mouth feel was thinner than what I expected and strong coffee hints entrenched every crevice of my mouth. Overall a very interesting porter that, as always, I would have a second time before either loving or not liking. TWENTY MINUTES LATER UPDATE: After it warmed the nice sweet smokey chocolate came to life and I had to give better props to one of my favorite semi-local breweries. Lesson learned: Always let it warm up!

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.12 out of 5 with 2,265 ratings