Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States

Style: American Porter

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

Added by zerk on 12-06-2002

Reviews: 749 | Ratings: 2,175
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

The beer pours a deep, dark black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It has a sweet chocolate scent along with a stiff hop bitterness. It's rich with roasted and black malts as well. The taste is great. It has a crisp black malt and hop bitterness up front and then it mellows with a sweet chocolatey finish. It warms a bit, but that only increases the enjoyment of it. This is a very flavorful porter. It has a bountiful wealth of flavor and an excellent arrangement of hops. The mouthfeel is awesome. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is one tastey beverage. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. These guys only produce nothing but the best.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

A- Pitch black with a reddish hue, A surprisingly large 3 finger khaki head.
S- Roasted coffee beans, dark chocolate. there's also a nice hop presence if you look deep enough. Burnt caramel. This is a crazy good smelling porter.
T- A nice amount of hop flavors and bitterness up front and followed by a lot of chocolate and coffee. A complex and smooth bundle of flavors; a variety of hops and chocolate mixed in one.
M- Goes down very very easy, crazy smooth. The flavors kinda give you a dry tongue but the beer somehow leaves you with a not so dry feeling, which I really like. good carbonation.
O- Its just an amazing porter, FFF does it right in every way. Im looking forward to this coming around next year.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Alpha Klaus pours a deep, dark, blackly brown with rosey highlights, and a slim but creamy tan lid that slips quickly to leave some nice lacing.

Sniffs deliver bitter-sweet chocolatey, black coffee, roastedness twirling with citric and piney hops, and cinnamony spice.

And . . . The flavor matches it step for step. It's full, soft, creamy, and smooth. It's dry, bitter, and roastedness comes in perfect amounts, and lingers in the finish.

This is a dynamite chocolatey-roasted, hopped up, spiced up, porter. Sure do love this stuff.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured a rich blackish brown with a nice off-white head.

The aroma was of earthy hops, chocolate, coffee, and toast.

The flavor of the beer was rich with toffee, caramel, coffee and chocolate malt flavors. The hops were assertive and had and earthy and floral character. There was a nice slightly smoky finish. What an array or flavors!

The mouthfeel was medium, but not too heavy considering the 7.5% ABV. The carbonation was just right.

This is an outstanding American porter and probably the best I've had to date.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

After saving this one for a few months, I finally decided to break it out. On a strangely cool night, too. Just like winter... kind of... not really. Ah well, onto the beer!

APPEARANCE: Woah, poured a glass full of foam. I'll consider that an aberration. Absolutely jet black with black highlights and black, black, black. A huge, rocky, dark tan head lasts the entire way down the glass leaving some fantastic lace.

SMELL: A big fight between the hops and the malt for who will come out on top. The hops are piny and citrusy and the bitterness blends perfectly into bitter black malt. A significant amount of roastiness is also present. Chocolate, coffee, and some licorice round out the aroma.

TASTE: My God. My first thought is "absolute perfection" which is saying something. The hops show up first and set the stage nicely. But in full force, a fantastic maltiness shines through with caramel, chocolate, a bit of smoke, and licorice. The finish continues to be malty and is deliciously satisfying. Balance, balance, balance! This beer does it wonderfully.

MOUTHFEEL: Full bodied and just enough carbonation. Goes down really creamy. Almost milkshake-like.

DRINKABILITY: 7.5%?? You'd have no idea. Hides the alcohol well, and is otherwise easy drinking anyway. A bomber of this is definitely a single serving.

I'm amazed. I was underwhelmed by all FFF beers I've had so far (for the most part), but this one did it for me. For an imperial porter, Alpha Klaus delivers and then some - whether it's a cold day or not.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Stunningly atractive beer. Dark colored. Almost pitch black but not quite. Huge thick chunky mocha colored head that last forever. Lace sticks to the sides of the glass and looks as though it needs to be chisled off. I almost don't wanna drink this beer b/c it looks so good. I said "almost".
Wow what a hop bomb in the aroma. Smells like Christmas trees. Nothing more, nothing less. Just a rich evergreen forest.
Flavor follows the aroma perfectly. Big huge pine taste with chocolate malts to help balance it. Hints of spices and black pepper but this beer is all about the HOPS. Not very complex but man is it good.
I guess the mouthfeel is what makes this a porter. Too thin to be a stout but rich enough to make it interesting. Somewhat creamy and smooth.
Damn this is a fine beer. I really enjoy the hoppy dark beers and this may be the best one I've had.
Thanks to ahatcher and the Brewgrass BIF for this wonderful beer.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Poured pitch black, very nice thick dark brown head that lingered for a good while. Lacing forms a ring around the head, pretty nice.

Smells of hops and slight coffee, enjoyable for sure.

First taste was noticeable FFF hops...finished with a sweeter chocolate coffee taste, really great!

Mouthful is good, not as thick as I was expecting, carbonation seems about right, maybe a little high, for this style.

At 7.5, this goes down easy...I would easy drink a few on a cold winter day/night, very enjoyable. I loved this beer, hope I can find more!

4.48/5  rDev +8%

A- Pours almost completely black, but hints of brown peak through. Sizeable tan head forms; about 3.5 fingers. Retains and laces very well. Only the slightest bit of light gets through the edges of the glass.

S- Hops profile is prominent. Mostly floral scents with slight hints of pine. Traditional porter notes are hiding under the hops. Semisweet chocolate and coffee roasts are the main flavors under the hops.

T- Pretty much just like scent. Hops up front with moderate bitterness. Midway through the drink there is a change from hops bitterness and bite into the traditional porter flavors. Chocolate and coffee flavors are more bitter in the taste than the scent. Drink ends in a combination of bitter hops and bitter dark roast bite that I've never experienced in a beer before.

M- Highly carbonated and slick on the palate. Not that creamy, but not that thin. Alcohol level is low and undetectable in the taste or on the palate. Easy to drink.

Overall, this is a porter like none I've had before. The hop profile is prominent, yet there are still darker malt flavors too. This is the first stout or porter I've had in which I could detect the hops. Not a trait I would like other brewers to try in a porter or stout, but a very good beer.

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark black with just a glimpse of ruby highlights. Tan head starts big but reduces to some spotty lacing. Nice depth in the nose...smoked aromas, roasted coffee and fresh spicy hop character. Super velvety smooth mouthfeel and low carbonation. Tastes are of dark chocolate, roasted malts, strong espresso tones, dry chariness, and balanced excellently balanced by a hefty amount of hops providing mostly esters and bittering character. The hops fruity notes are sweet and sour at times giving this a well rounded profile. Towards the end buttery caramel and spearmint notes are clearer. Some alcohol burn slips through but no way considered unenjoyable. The finish is much of the taste coming through with a higher dry, tart character. Coffee and chocolate notes coming through in a big way here and I might even suggest this as breakfast beer.

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I really enjoyed this brew. Heavy look, but not quite as heavy a taste (of course that depends on your definition of heavy), but extremely tasty and smooth. Very good holiday porter. Looks as smooth as it tastes. Unfortunately, with a bit of a cold, I cannot give any good smell descriptions as I basically have none. But I truly enjoyed this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

2007 fresh bomber. Pours into my glass a deep black with dark brown hues on the edges. An inch of creamy tan head sits on top and lingers. Aromas begin with a big bold sweet cocoa and lots of rich brewed coffee as well. Creamy with a piney hop aroma in there as well. Light caramel with lots of roastiness overall. A touch of vanilla. Very enticing aroma, seems to have less hop presence than previous years.

First sip brings a roasted dark malt that's flowing with rich chocolate and coffee flavors right off the bat. Hints of caramel and a touch of vanilla. It moves into slightly floral, piney hops that bring along a nice touch of bitterness. Finishes with a wonderful chocolate aftertaste. Yum.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, chewy, smooth and creamy. Spot on for a porter, it never gets too heavy. Quite a drinkable brew and one I always look forward to imbibing in large quantities around this time of year. Glad to see it on the shelves again. I give this one my approval yet again...go get a few bombers!!

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

served at FFF brewpub before Christmas. This is a first, after recently trying more porters and was pleasantly surprised by the balance of traditional porter characteristics with hops, I didn't expect to enjoy as much as I did. Great pour with solid dark brown head and lacing. Nice hop aroma with dark malt, chocolate aroma.

Really great beer, enjoyed two and wish they had some bombers to go.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearence: Pours a wonderful dark brown with tinges of red shinig through. The head is chocolate and creamy.

Smell: The nose is an incredibly powerful but wonderful cocoa smell. The coffee notes are also wonderful.

Taste and Mouthfeel: This is a very solid, very good tasting porter. None of the flavors are over the top or uncalled for. The all blend to creat something wonderfully balanced and wonderfully tasty. The mouthfeel is creamy and thick.

Drinkability and Overall: I've been spoiling myself with these good porters lately. This is another classic. Three Floyds have again outdone themselves with this rich, thoughtful and wonderfully refreshing piece of brewing art. Thanks to PatYoda for the bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

I'm pouring this into an Imperial pint glass (man, I need some new glassware...) at around 50 degrees. Its darker than any non-Imperial porter I've ever had and as dark or darker than most non-Imperial stouts. The only way I can get any light to come through is to hold the bottom of the glass up to a very bright light. It produced a resilient mocha colored head that left thick lacing as it slowly faded.

I could actually smell this stuff as soon as I cracked the bottle. The aroma is an amazing blend of rich coffee and chocolate malts. A deeper search reveals hints of vanilla, caramel, and licorice. What has me most excited at this point is the coffee smell. If this brew has similar coffee notes to Hell's Black Inteligencer, I'm in for a real treat. Oddly, after my first couple drinks, the hop aroma really made itself present. (Note to self: You just learned something.) The only thing that stopped me from giving it a 5 in this catagory was when I asked myself, "Could it be better?" Yes. Two words. Barrel aged.

Its go-time. No suprise here, coffee and roasted chocolate malts are running the show. They're doing a damn fine job at it, too. All the up-front roasted notes slowly give way to just the right amount of hop bitterness and then a suprise, slightly sweet ending. Subsequent tastes bring even more coffee, roasted malts, and hops. This is a big-boy porter... One of the best I've ever had. Again, though, the only way it could be better... Barrel aged.

Mouthfeel was good. There is enough carbonation to add a bit of sizzle. Viscosity is just right. Its neither syrupy nor watery. A little more towards the syrup side might make it better, but I'm probably splitting hairs here.

Drinkabitly is pretty amazing, really. I don't remember the last time I had a beer this dark, with this much flavor, that felt this drinkable. I could drink this all evening and then some.

Overall, this is a kick-ass porter. If you get a chance, try it.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured black with some reddish hints peeking through. Noticed this brew was not very thick and syrupy but a tad watery. Huge billowing white head that hung out for the duration of session. Bubbles were very small and made for an almost whip cream texture head.

The smell was piney and roasty. There were some hints of cinnamon and spice but mostly a sweet malty scent.

The taste was incredible. Very earthy and chocolaty with hints of hops and sweet sugars and lactose. Exactly what I'm looking for in a high caliber porter.

I was a bit let down when it came to the mouthfeel. Not a lot of body or complexity. Very watery and a little too oily. Despite this setback, this beer was a Huge Winner with me. Will pick up more next time I make a trip to the east coast.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance is rich black, with caramel hints. Huge tan head and nice lacing.

Nose is lots of fresh hops, cola, sweet malt, and caramelized sugar.

Taste is extremely well-balanced. Hops are mild and blend seamlessly. The malt is roasted and semi-caramelized. There is also a nice milk chocolate note.

Mouthfeel is very silky. Carbonation is mild, as are the hops. The beer has a nice roasted sensation throughout. Clean finish.

Overall, a decadent, creamy porter with excellent drinkability and a unique hop character.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

This was my first Three Floyds purchase. Naturally, I had heard a lot of the brewery, so when I came across a case of this at the Beer Yard, I couldn't pass it up. At any rate...pours a beautiful dark opaque brown with rusty highlights around the edges. Super soft, light brown head that has a wonderful thickness to it. Looks like something I'd want to put on top of some chocolate cake. Smells immediately like I'm in a backwoods hop patch. And, unfortunately, I hate to be cliche, but it does smell like Christmas. Super, smooth creamy mouthfeel transports a huge delivery of roasty, chocolatey, caramel malt into the palate. Not too far behind is the surprising hop presence. Very hoppy for a porter. I even has a bit of that stringent porter character, which I'm not always a fan of, but its pulled off with perfection here. I'm assuming its the other flavors that balancecd it. The beer finishes with a nice dry touch and a lingering aftertaste of dry, dark cocoa powder. Man, this stuff is just amazing, its unlike any other porter I've had.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks to ClockworkOrange for allowing me the chance to try this illusive beast of a porter.

A: Pours a black as night color with a caramel colored one finger head. Nice retention on the sides of the glass. Nice sticky lacing.
S: Wow, I just laughed after I took my first whiff. Burnt and roasted coffee notes with a good level of chocolate and black malt. A nice caramel aroma rounds everything out and gives it a smoothness. Twangy hop presence is also noticeable.
T/M: Robust, smooth...nice. Burnt coffee and robust malt notes hit the palate first. Sweet caramel and toffee are subtle and are blended with a sticky chocolate flavor. Hops are there--nice to see a nice hoppyness in the flavor. Bitterness in the finish is present with a burnt chocolate or roasted coffee aftertaste. Smooth and coating with a milky characteristic to it. Nice balance on this one.
D: Another great one from 3F. Amazing brews they have and this isn't any different. Smooth and silky

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

A- Pours black with a mocha head.

S- Chocolate, roasted malts. Coffee?

T- Rich chocolaty goodness with pronounced "Xmas" (hah) hop spice aftertaste. Pine. One-of-a-kind taste...and if not, please let me know!

M- Medium mouthfeel. Creamy, smooth.

D/O- The drinkability of this is ridiculously high. Perhaps the best porter I've ever had. Will be a holiday staple for years to come for me. Three Floyds does it again.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Deep chestnut in color with garnet highlights around the edges. A thick, dense, tan head slowly settles to about a 3/4 inch layer leaving a thick, clingy lace.
The aroma is a rich mix of bitter chocolate and sprucy hops with a hint of coffee. Toasty and sweet, a hint of honey maybe.
The taste is initially surprisingly smooth. The hoppy bitterness you're expecting from the aroma waits in the lurch and jumps out after you swallow, coating your mouth in a sheet of bitter bliss.
Medium-full body, nicely carbonated and about as drinkable as they come for my tastes. It just satisfies all the senses without numbing your mind "too" much.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance - Very dark with 2 fingers of cream-colored head that hung around for a bit.

Smell - Piney and malty. Very welcoming.

Taste - Fabulous piney hop presence, but not overwhelming. The blend of hops and malt was damn near perfect.

Mouthfeel - Light. Finishes very clean. Excellent.

Overall - Very drinkable! Excellent brew overall. Calling it "Alpha King's festive cousin" is spot on. Can't wait to get more of this ASAP.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

I got this brew from SirSketch, Thanks Zach!

22oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - pitch black with a huge tan head that left lots of sticky lacing.

S - sweet molases, roasted coffee and hints of chocolate in the aroma.

T - starts out sweet tasting, molases and chocolate, roasted, smokey flavor midway finishing with espresso coffee-like bitterness.

F - medium/full bodied with a smooth, creamy feel.

D - very nice.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Fellow BA Quarre gave us this about a year ago (!) and we are just digging into it now. Lucky for us, it has held up very well :-) Color is dark dark root beer, it had a head to match but it's gone now, just a ring in my glass. Aroma promises all sorts of things, including dark chocolate, make it 60%. Tastewise, one is rewarded with more chocolate notes in the taste, a wider range than found in the aroma. I found the malt to be very prominent, but then the hops hit. The finish is hoppy, but not over the top. I think that's due to the malt being just so present. Solid medium mouthfeel, small fine carbonation. Drinkability is high due to the ease of which this goes down. Bring on this beer!

22oz. Bomber
Big Red Bloomington

Alpha Klaus poured deep dark brown into my pint glass. When I hold it closer to the light for inspection I see mahogany highlights throughout. Formed a creamy 1 finger head upon the pour that faded to a super creamy half-finger head that lasted. Leaves faint drink history lacing with each sip. Very nice looking.

The smell of this beer is so unique and wonderful it fully deserves a 5. The first whiff I take reminds me of caramel corn. Strange but nice. I then take a deeper whiff, the caramel corn leads things off again but transfers flawlessly into herbal and mildly piney hops in the middle. This is again transformed seamlessly into a bittersweet chocolate bar with mild coffee. I don't know how the hops pair so perfectly with the other aromas but they do. This stuff smells amazing.

I wasn't sure what to expect. I've never really sampled a porter with the obvious amount of hops that this has. I couldn't have wished for more than I got. This beer is packed full of big chocolate and coffee notes. Big roastiness and somehow the hops pair perfectly. With an herbal bite that lightens up all the dark flavors. Finishes with slight coffee ground bitterness and instantly after that a mild pine hop bite. Such a unique beer.

The mouthfeel is close to perfect. It's medium bodied yet creamy. Mild carbonation lets things work through on their own. It just slides through my mouth so easily. There's also a nice mild lingering bitterness that is a very nice touch.

Drinkability is outstanding. This one goes down so easy. It's so creamy and flavorful you have to work to not gulp it down.

Alpha Klaus is another incredible beer from Three Floyds. It amazes me how perfectly all the big flavors go together. I have never had such a unique and fun drinking porter. Definately worth seeking out.

Reviewed: 1/6/07

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Well I just have to say this one kicks ass! A monster thanks to Billakowski for trading me a bottle. The beer poured out looking black and thick looking. The head was brown in color with laces the glass nicely. The smell of the beer has some big hops coming off of it, along with plenty of roasted malt aromas and chocolate notes. The taste of the beer has a hoppy kick up front, it's almost like a black IPA at first. Then as the hops fade the chocolate lingers in the aftertaste. The beer has several layers of transitions in the flavor. It makes this beer very impressive. The mouthfeel of the beer had a great body to it along with a a solid carbonation. Overall It's not really a Christmas brew but regardless it's a damn fine beer. I would drink it again without a doubt.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.