Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) PorterAlpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Porter

Alpha King’s festive cousin. A big American Christmas Porter brewed with English chocolate malt, Mexican sugar and of course, tons of strange American hops. Cheers!

Added by zerk on 12-06-2002

Reviews: 757 | Ratings: 2,212
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

A- Pours black with a mocha head.

S- Chocolate, roasted malts. Coffee?

T- Rich chocolaty goodness with pronounced "Xmas" (hah) hop spice aftertaste. Pine. One-of-a-kind taste...and if not, please let me know!

M- Medium mouthfeel. Creamy, smooth.

D/O- The drinkability of this is ridiculously high. Perhaps the best porter I've ever had. Will be a holiday staple for years to come for me. Three Floyds does it again.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Deep chestnut in color with garnet highlights around the edges. A thick, dense, tan head slowly settles to about a 3/4 inch layer leaving a thick, clingy lace.
The aroma is a rich mix of bitter chocolate and sprucy hops with a hint of coffee. Toasty and sweet, a hint of honey maybe.
The taste is initially surprisingly smooth. The hoppy bitterness you're expecting from the aroma waits in the lurch and jumps out after you swallow, coating your mouth in a sheet of bitter bliss.
Medium-full body, nicely carbonated and about as drinkable as they come for my tastes. It just satisfies all the senses without numbing your mind "too" much.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance - Very dark with 2 fingers of cream-colored head that hung around for a bit.

Smell - Piney and malty. Very welcoming.

Taste - Fabulous piney hop presence, but not overwhelming. The blend of hops and malt was damn near perfect.

Mouthfeel - Light. Finishes very clean. Excellent.

Overall - Very drinkable! Excellent brew overall. Calling it "Alpha King's festive cousin" is spot on. Can't wait to get more of this ASAP.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

I got this brew from SirSketch, Thanks Zach!

22oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - pitch black with a huge tan head that left lots of sticky lacing.

S - sweet molases, roasted coffee and hints of chocolate in the aroma.

T - starts out sweet tasting, molases and chocolate, roasted, smokey flavor midway finishing with espresso coffee-like bitterness.

F - medium/full bodied with a smooth, creamy feel.

D - very nice.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Fellow BA Quarre gave us this about a year ago (!) and we are just digging into it now. Lucky for us, it has held up very well :-) Color is dark dark root beer, it had a head to match but it's gone now, just a ring in my glass. Aroma promises all sorts of things, including dark chocolate, make it 60%. Tastewise, one is rewarded with more chocolate notes in the taste, a wider range than found in the aroma. I found the malt to be very prominent, but then the hops hit. The finish is hoppy, but not over the top. I think that's due to the malt being just so present. Solid medium mouthfeel, small fine carbonation. Drinkability is high due to the ease of which this goes down. Bring on this beer!

22oz. Bomber
$7.99
Big Red Bloomington

Alpha Klaus poured deep dark brown into my pint glass. When I hold it closer to the light for inspection I see mahogany highlights throughout. Formed a creamy 1 finger head upon the pour that faded to a super creamy half-finger head that lasted. Leaves faint drink history lacing with each sip. Very nice looking.

The smell of this beer is so unique and wonderful it fully deserves a 5. The first whiff I take reminds me of caramel corn. Strange but nice. I then take a deeper whiff, the caramel corn leads things off again but transfers flawlessly into herbal and mildly piney hops in the middle. This is again transformed seamlessly into a bittersweet chocolate bar with mild coffee. I don't know how the hops pair so perfectly with the other aromas but they do. This stuff smells amazing.

I wasn't sure what to expect. I've never really sampled a porter with the obvious amount of hops that this has. I couldn't have wished for more than I got. This beer is packed full of big chocolate and coffee notes. Big roastiness and somehow the hops pair perfectly. With an herbal bite that lightens up all the dark flavors. Finishes with slight coffee ground bitterness and instantly after that a mild pine hop bite. Such a unique beer.

The mouthfeel is close to perfect. It's medium bodied yet creamy. Mild carbonation lets things work through on their own. It just slides through my mouth so easily. There's also a nice mild lingering bitterness that is a very nice touch.

Drinkability is outstanding. This one goes down so easy. It's so creamy and flavorful you have to work to not gulp it down.

Alpha Klaus is another incredible beer from Three Floyds. It amazes me how perfectly all the big flavors go together. I have never had such a unique and fun drinking porter. Definately worth seeking out.

Reviewed: 1/6/07

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Well I just have to say this one kicks ass! A monster thanks to Billakowski for trading me a bottle. The beer poured out looking black and thick looking. The head was brown in color with laces the glass nicely. The smell of the beer has some big hops coming off of it, along with plenty of roasted malt aromas and chocolate notes. The taste of the beer has a hoppy kick up front, it's almost like a black IPA at first. Then as the hops fade the chocolate lingers in the aftertaste. The beer has several layers of transitions in the flavor. It makes this beer very impressive. The mouthfeel of the beer had a great body to it along with a a solid carbonation. Overall It's not really a Christmas brew but regardless it's a damn fine beer. I would drink it again without a doubt.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured the beer in a balloon, it has a pure, rich black color with a nice longstanding head. It smells like christmas, pine, fruit, but with a roasted undertone in the background.

The hops/pine are a bit overwhelming but a nice roasted coffee, maybe dark chocolate taste arrives after a swallow. Beer is nice a bubbly on the palate, fairly smooth going down. This beer is a nice creative piece of porter+heavy hops, highly enjoyable.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

A - This beer poured a dark brown color that had some ruby highlights that produced a tan frothy head that had good retention and left a good lace around the glass

S - The aromas produced were roasted malts, chocolate, cinnamon, and nutmeg

T - The mix of a Porter and a Christmas Beer was great, I got big roasted malts and bitter dark chocolate, some spiciness of cinnamon and nutmeg, a good splash of bitterness at the end

M - The mouth of this beer was creamy and smooth, a medium to heavy body that was accompanied with a slight amount of carbonation

D - This Porter was a very enjoyable example of a Christmas beer, the spices mixed well with the style and produced a very enjoyable beer

2008 bottling consumed Dec 18, 2009

This is actually the first time I have had this beer, and it's from a bottle that has been in my cellar for a year.

Nice thick brown head atop a rich, dark beer. Aromas of chocolate, hops, roasted malt, toffee. A fabulous tasting brew, and easily one of the best porters I have had. This beer is really easy to drink, and I will definitely be picking up a few of these from FFF in a couple of days.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Three Floyds always does a good job of taking a well-known style and tweaking it just enough that it is still within the boundaries of the style yet memorable because of its uniqueness. This is another example. The beer is a deep mahogany color with a thick tan head that lasts pretty much the entire glass. Nice lacing too. The aroma bursts with hops, coffee, alcohol and pine. Rich body with a very pleasant blend of flavors. Roasted nuts, coffee, malt and tons of piney hops never let up. The finish is roasty and bitter to the end. I thought the $9 price tag was a bit steep but this is a fine beer.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

beautiful dark porter with a thick, tan head that stcks around well and leaves great lace. chocolate, toasty malt, piney hop and a touch of oak and maybe coffee in the nose. tastes of milk chocolate, then hops, with a mildly bitter dark chocolate and coffee finish. big body for a porter and very, very tasty. one of if not the best porter i've had to date.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Absolutely incredible beer here. Second beer I've had from this brewery and I'm a believer!!

I enjoyed this beer on Christmas Eve while waiting on the kiddies to drift off....

Black as midnight with a caramel head this is impressive as hell. It just keeps climbing and climbing...

All dark chocolate and coffee here with just the slightest hint of piney hops in the background. This smells too good to drink. Amazing.

This tastes unbelievable. You know, there is a lot of hype surrounding the FFF stuff and I've always wondered if it was warranted. Let me tell you this... in my eyes, that's a big yes.

Smoky, chocolatey, hoppy, hints of coffee, vanilla... very good tasting beer. This beer is a dessert.

My wife actually kissed me after drinking this beer and asked me what it was. She said, "Damn, whatever you're drinking smells good enough to eat!"

My sentiments exactly.... Unmatched in the porter realm to this point. I do have an Olfabrikken waiting on me in the fridge so we'll see how they stack up against one another.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

2007 Edition, decided to kick off the holiday week of beer with a FFF Alpha Klaus. I was a little worried that this one sat too long but once I popped the top and the aroma of coffee and chocolate filled the air. Poured black with a beast of a head that overflowed my Corsendonk snifter. Aromas are coffee, roasted malts, and an underlying sweetness. Flavor is bitter chocolate up front highly carbonated on the palate and believe it or not hops are still present. Finish is all roast and a slight burn from the alcohol but no real alcohol flavor. A top notch porter. FFF does it again.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

a - poured a three-fingers thick tan head into a goblet, left thick coating on the sides of the glass and a nice sheet throughout. the body was a dark black color.
s - lots of coffee and chocolate aromas with a hint of breadiness and understated piney hops. very complex.
t - roasted coffee, chocolate with a sweet piney flavor.
m - very slick and coating but drinks clean.
d - terrific beer.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

A : Pours a black with a nice two finger tan head. Decent lacing left on the glass

S : Toasted malts, dark chocolate, hints of vanilla and Christmas spices

T : Good strong roasted malt flavor at the beginning with dark chocolate flavors. A good hop bitterness comes on at the end that turns it to a bittersweet chocolate which works so well. It's got a nice complex flavor.

M : Smooth, velvety with good carbonation that just tingles on the tongue

D : An excellent beer that I plan on finding more of. It's an easy one to drink.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

Got this as my first bomber of Alpha Klaus ever and one that I've been waiting to finally drink. Want to thank my girlfriend for the opportunity of trying this one since it was a christmas gift from her.

A- looks like the typical porter with a dark, chocolate brown head that is completely opaque and is rather clear, not foggy. Actually has a bit of a sheen to it. A nice small head that stays throughout and floats barely on the top of the bottle; kinda like a bit of foam on the top of a coffee. The head is actually made up of a bunch of small bubbles that sit right on top. I really like the color of this one. Nice and thick head that poured in my friend's pint glass since we split the bomber. looks like thick cream sitting on top of dark coffee

S- wow well people did not lie when they said there is hops coming off of this one. Especially kind of intense hops for a porter where hops are usually not represented. There is also a bit of hints of spices and chocolate that comes up with the hops Also there is a smell of a drak chocolate.

T - the main taste of this one that first hits me is hops that just attack the tongue. This is the typical FFF citrus hops that seem to characterize their brew. Odd to see such a hop presence in a porter. Then after the hops fades away it fades away into your more typical porter aspects. There is a nice chocolate presence and actually a bit of a grainy sugar sweet presence that goes to offset the dark chocolate presence. After awhile the hops actually seem to come back to me as well and I think they may actually become a bit stronger and blend in with the chocolate aspect of the beer. There is also a nice milky aspect to the beer, makes it rather creamy and actually imparts that cream taste in the mouth. Afterwards there is a light hops presence that sticks around in the mouth.

MF - Rather creamy and smooth on the mouth without only a light amount of carbonation that seems to come in later. I love the milky aspect of the beer that goes with the taste of the beer alot. Afterwards, the light hops presence leaves a slight tingly feeling in the mouth and makes you wnat to have another drink.

D - overall a great porter from FFF and an interesting interpretation of the style that makes me want to keep having a sip after a sip to experience all of the interesting taste within this one. there are just so many different flavors in the porter that I keep wanting to discover. I love how this is like a mix of a hop bomb and a sweet porter too; gotta love the FFF boldness. Also, the creamy milky aspect makes it really easy to sip down and enjoy. I will pick this up every holiday season and enjoy it whenever it comes out. Also I have to say this is much better than the barrel aged Klaus since you can actually taste the hop profile that makes this such an interesting brew.

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

a: pours a jet black color with about a inch and half worth of tan head that has decent retention time leaves an amazing amount of lace, in short what i look for in a good beer very very inviting
s: the roasted malts really come out in the aroma nice hop bitterness as well very nice
t: very very good, roasted malt flavor, hop presence very nice
m: full bodied beer very nice not overly carbonated

overall this beer is amazing one of the best ones ive had truly a great beer

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%

SCORE!!! I found this marked down to $5 (from $9) because it is now out of season. "Silly fools," I say. "This is one of my top 3 porters and it should still be good even this late in the year."

Pours almost black into a Duvel tulip with a one-finger brown head that eventually settles into a milky froth that coats the surface.

Inhaling deeply through the nose reveals a rich, sweet aroma of malty sativa buds, foreshadowing the hoppy goodness I am about to enjoy.

Starts out tasting like a thick IPA, then quickly morphs into a slightly sweet malt and finishes with a Sumatra coffee aftertaste that lingers on.

Mouthfeel is of moderate thickness with a touch of creamy froth.

This is a very drinkable porter, despite its 7.5% ABV content. They should really make this year-round. Instead, I will continue to enjoy it during my December rituals during the Sunday afternoon football game - and occasionally score the occasional discounted bottle in late spring.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Broke out the snifter from the new glass set my husband bought me!

Look: DARK. Like, pitch black. Nice mocha colored head.

Smell: Like I'm about to drink a FFF dark beer. Nothing shocking or new.

Taste: Coffee, smoke, hops, citrus (lemon?), then coffee again.

Feel: SPOT ON. Not too thick like an oatmeal stout, no watery-ness.

Overall: I'm about to go clean out my local super market's supply. That's right- I figured out that the high dollar specialty grocer down the road from my house has $10 bombers of all types, and $2 singles of stuff I still haven't heard o!

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber poured into a Natty Greene's pint glass:

Look: Pours an amazing jet black color with a nice dark tan head. Lacing is present with good retention. Love the way this beer pours!

Smell: Roasted malts & chocolate are heavy with a bit of citrus and piney notes from the aggressive hopping of this porter. Enjoying the aroma of the hops added to this.

Taste: Lots of chocolate and roasted malts coming thru but also a nice bitterness from the hops shines thru. Love the addition of the hops in this porter for a different spin on a porter. Very complex for a porter but in a good way!

Feel: Medium body with a nice creaminess texture!

Overall: Rock solid porter from the crew at 3 Floyds! This is one of the best porters I have had. Lucky to get my hands on a bomber of this. I will be revisiting this one next winter.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

Received this one from BeerBeing in the Birthday BIF. Just in time for the chilly weather...

Served from a 22oz. bomber in a Duvel tulip at cellar temperature.

A - Pours a dark chocolate brown with mahogany highlights that can barely be seen through this beer's dense body. The head rises quickly -- cocoa brown and chunky -- immediately creeping up the sides of the glass. Lacing is spotty, but what this beer does have is some big legs. Nice.

S - Big notes of brown sugar and molasses that lounge atop a divan of cushiony and cold floral hops. Piney notes can also be found mingling with dark espresso tones and (cold) hot cocoa-mocha, like a General Foods International coffee.

T - Given the big presence of hops in the hose, the taste comes off as superbly balanced. Starting with molasses brown sugar cookies, the sweetness subsides as a dark baking chocolate bitterness steps in. Also noted are coffee, pralines, and figs. The alcohol is nicely concealed, although you know it's hiding there somewhere. The aftertaste is only moderately bitter, and the drying is just enough to keep you in suspense for the next sip.

M - As with most FFF products, the mouthfeel on this baby is superb. Enough carbonation to keep it tingly, but never rising above a fine froth in the mouth, leading to a creamy, chewy swallow that doesn't leave your belly feeling full of CO2.

D - This is an excellent staple for any fan of "colder weather beers" with some nice backbone. At 7.5%, it's also feasible to knock off a bomber on your own without getting whacked. An excellently hoppy take on a traditionally mildly hopped style.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

Picked this up at dark lord day way back in April. Can't believe it's taken me this long to finally crack one open... what was I waiting for? Maybe it was just the weather.

Appearance- typical near black color with just under a finger of head. Not much carbonation, but that's ok for the style. Consequently, not much lacing to speak ok.

Smell- Lots of roasted malts, but I'd say the overall theme is heath bars. Reminds me of ben and jerry's heath bar crunch ice cream (do they still make that?). Lots of coffee too.

Taste and Mouthfeel- upon the first sip of this brew it was evident that this was one of the best if not the best porter I've had. very, very tastey and sessionable even at 7.5%. A bit of roastiness and nuttiness, but not too much. Hops are subdued and malt is in the forefront, but the balance between roasted bitterness and hop bitterness is done extremely well. The mouthfeel is somewhat silky, and that combined with a heath bar-like taste again reminds me of Ben and Jerry's heath bar crunch.

Drinkability- Very much a sessionable beer if you're into porters.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark, smooth full bodied pour with reddish purple tinges around the edges. A huge tan head comes in and holds until I'm done. Ridiculous amounts of sticky lacing. I love it! Smells like I walked into a coffee shop and then put a hop plant up my nose. It works well! Very nice mixture of the two along with some sweet chocolate on top. Taste has a concentrated espresso shot, not really roasted at all, but still intense. Dark, lucious chocolates dominate the malts. A little charcoal in there underneath. Full green hop plants come in the finish. There's a creaminess in there as well but I really get it at the end. This beer went down way, way too smooth. Too good. It's a shame we can't get it here in Michigan and the price also makes it a shame but its still worth it for a treat every once in awhile.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

WOW. I certainly didn't expect this to have such a strong hops aroma, but it is from 3F's. Great roasted aroma really mixes well with th ehops. Long lasting, rocky head. I haven't had many porters, but this beer is outstanding. I have a couple more I thought I'd save till next Christmas, but I'll drink them soon so I can enjoy the hoppiness.

Alpha Klaus Christmas (Xmas) Porter from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.