Baller Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Baller StoutBaller Stout
4.25/5
Outstanding
Baller StoutBaller Stout

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Three Floyds’ 15th Anniversary beer. A blend of Dark Lord, Surly Darkness, De Struise Black Albert, and Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch.

Added by AleWatcher on 11-12-2011

Reviews by billab914:
4.19/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to Rhettroactive for sharing this one. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tasting glass. It poured dark brown in color with a thin, bubbly, tan colored head clinging to the edges of the glass. Decent lacing to it, but it was a little light in color compared to the base beers.

In the aroma I get a little bit of smoke mixing with dark chocolate at first. The roasty coffee of Beer Geek starts to come out in it along with a little of the sweeter, dark fruit, cherry like notes that remind me of Darkness. Nice mix of flavors to it and things came together pretty well.

The taste has a lot of flavors going on. The roasty coffee is a little more apparent to me in the taste than it was in the aroma. Dark chocolate mixes with some sweeter molasses and brown sugar notes. I'm getting a little more of the chocolate covered cherry flavors in the taste and I get a moderate hoppiness to it as well. A little hot in the finish but a nice range of flavors to it overall.

The mouthfeel is thick and somewhat creamy with carbonation being low. The mouthfeel is where I thought Dark Lord contributed the most, I love the thick, heavy mouthfeel of Dark Lord and it seemed to carry over to Baller well.

Overall I thought it was a very good beer. I really liked how you could pick out some of the distinct flavors of component beers. It was very flavorful and came together surprisingly well for all that went into it. I'm not sure it's better than the base beers on their own, but for a few of them it might be close.

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Dark Lord Day 2015. Hooray!

Appearance - The beer was a deep black color with bubbles crown the sides of the glass.

Smell - The malts in the aroma are intimidating with chocolate and booze hitting the nose.

Taste - My initial impression is chocolate and marshmallow. There is a definite smoke presence that is supported by molasses. Burnt malts and sugar come through in the finish.

Mouthfeel - This is definitely a top 10 stout in terms of thickness. I am not sure if it would spill if I held it upside down.

Overall - Having this beer on tap made standing in the rain on Dark Lord Day 2015 worth it.

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap DLD 2015

A: Dark Brown with more carbonation than I expected for this big of a beer.
S: Roasted malt, chocolate, some booze.
T: Decadent - chocolate, coffee, caramel, not sweet at all, very smooth
M: Luscious, silky, so good
O: So fortunate to have seen this taking a walk to the porta potty. 2nd time having it, 1st time on tap. Excellent flavor and mouthfeel.

3.94/5  rDev -7.3%

Thanks to Chris for bringing this one to our tasting - it was something I never thought I'd try. Pours a dark, dark brown color with a fading, tan-colored head that doesn't stick around too long before it recedes to nothing but a thin skin cap.

As I first bring my nose to the glass, I'm getting a weird aroma that was hard for be to pinpoint at first, but upon further sniffing, I've come to the conclusion that it was: beef jerky. That's right, I get some serious beef jerky-like aroma off the top of the nose from this thing. Slightly smokey and robust with maybe a touch of spice. Big roasted malts full out the edges, along with some light cocoa beans. Some woody-oak and vanilla aromas don't come through much until the beer warms up a bit, but then they really start to break through. Light sweetness is detectable, but it's slightly overshadowed by the somewhat harsh roast.

The taste hits bit with some sharp coffee and cocoa - dense and seemingly packed with concentrated flavor. The front end is mildly sweet, but it transforms quickly into a more bitter and roasted flavor as the malts grow from quiet to loud within seconds. No beef jerky on the palate, per se, but I swear I'm still getting it in the aroma. Out comes a light heat, almost like a chili pepper spice, although I really don't "taste" chilies - my tongue is just picking up the tingling sensation as though they are there.

The alcohol is a bit subdued at first but gets much, much stronger over the course of this beer. Sweetness comes in noticeably but tame enough to be enjoyable; molasses, light syrup, and some dark fruits are the main contributors. The aftertaste is dominated by an ashy, charred flavor - perhaps this is where my nose was picking up the beef jerky from? Medium-thick body, slick and a touch oily on the palate coming in on the lower end of the carbonation scale.

Certainly glad I got to try this one, although I don't feel it was all it was cracked up to be. Definitely some uniqueness to it, regarding the smokiness and the serious beef jerky notes my nose was picking up. Is it just me who was getting that? Either way, tasty beer, but probably not worth what it took to get it. Thanks again to Chris, though - I'm glad to say I had the chance to experience this one.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Bottle shared at Klooster. Pitch black with a thin tan head. Notes of roasted coffee, chocolate, macerated cherries, sherry, bitter fruit, alcohol. Full bodied, bitter and sour finish.

3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

Waxed bomber poured into a Hill Farmstead tulip.

Pours a super oily dark black with a small dark brown head along with some light lacing. Nose is slightly sweet, raisins, and chocolate.

Taste is much better than any of of the four beers on their own. Rich and creamy, chocolate and raisns, light roasty flavors as well. Overall quite tasty.

3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

Bottle (2011)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, dannyfrost!

Black as can be and very thick and viscous, with a moderately sized brown head that leaves spots and smears of stick to the glass.

The aroma is a rich combination of dark, roasted malts, dark plum, chocolate, and a very earthy hop character. Complete and appropriate.

The flavor is similar with chocolate, dark fruits, roasted malt, earthy hops, and a bit of alcohol bite on the finish combining for a big, rich, full, though simple flavor.

Full mouthfeel with low to moderate carbonation. Nice.

A very fine big stout, but disappointing because of the pedigree involved to create this big beer. This beer is expensive, and by all accounts, not worth the hefty price tag. I'd probably prefer any of the base beers to this blend, unfortunately. I'm glad I got to try it, but won't seek out another bottle.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

4.51/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Baller Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.